NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Sheepish Students

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

[SUBMITTED] Sheepish Students

Postby Baggieland » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Apparently this happened in France.

[TITLE] The School Who Cried Wolf

[DESCRIPTION] A school in the tiny village of Piddleton, that lies in a sparsely populated and mountainous district of @@NAME@@, has just enrolled 24 sheep as students. The inability to fill local authority-mandated student number quotas would have otherwise meant the closure of the school.

[VALIDITY] has devolution

[OPTION] "What other choice did I have?" bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of the school. "This is the only school in Piddleton and it has served our community well for generations. In a village of our size, these quotas are impossible to fill. You can not allow these restrictions in village districts."

[EFFECT] schools with only one student are equipped with the latest football training facilities

[OPTION] "How much are we going to fork out for schools with only a handful of children in them?" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the First Minister of the district in question. "If schools can not fill their student number quotas, then quite simply it is not economical for the local authority to continue financing them. Close these schools down and the little tykes will have to get their education in the nearest town."

[EFFECT] a long distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school

[OPTION] "These sheep are so cute and fluffy," says second grader @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ presents you with a scarf made from @@HIS@@ classmate. "I love studying with sheep, they help me to study better. Every school should have sheep in them, or rabbits, or baby Harp seals."

[EFFECT] @@CAPITAL@@ High School is no longer @@REGION@@ champions since Dolly the sheep became captain

[DESCRIPTION] A school in the tiny village of Piddleton, that lies in a sparsely populated and mountainous district of @@NAME@@, has just enrolled 24 sheep from a nearby farm as students. The inability to fill local authority-mandated student-number quotas would have otherwise meant the closure of the school.

[OPTION] "What other choice did I have?" bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of the school, as @@HE@@ points out the village of Piddleton on a map to alleviate everyone's curiosity. "This is the only school in Piddleton and it has served our community well for generations. In a village of our size, these quotas are impossible to fill. You can not allow these restrictions in village districts."

[EFFECT] schools with only one student are equipped with the latest football training facilities

[OPTION] "I've heard that in Ausblic they combine classes in rural communities," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Junior Education Minister, as @@HE@@ sits right next to the principal, invading @@HIS(1)@@ personal space. "For example: they put students from grade five and grade six together. It will require a slight rearrangement of the curriculum, but I'm sure those in the field of academia can handle it. Although, in the case of this school in Piddleton, you might have to combine grades one to twelve."

[EFFECT] grade two bullies have met their match

[OPTION] "How much are we going to fork out for schools with only a handful of children in them?" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the First Minister of the district in question, who spots a one @@CURRENCY@@ coin on the floor, then pockets it. "If schools can not fill their student number quotas, then quite simply it is not economical for the local authority to continue financing them. Close these schools down and the little tykes will have to get their education in the nearest town."

[EFFECT] a long distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school

[OPTION] "These sheep are so cute and fluffy," says second grader @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ presents you with a scarf made from @@HIS@@ classmate. "I love studying with sheep, they help me to study better. Every school should have sheep in them, or rabbits, or baby Harp seals."

[EFFECT] @@CAPITAL@@ High School is no longer @@REGION@@ champions since Dolly the sheep became captain

[DESCRIPTION] A school in the tiny village of Piddleton, that lies in a sparsely populated and mountainous district of @@NAME@@, has just enrolled 24 sheep from a nearby farm as students. The inability to fill local authority-mandated student-number quotas would have otherwise meant the closure of the school.

[OPTION] "What other choice did I have?" bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of the school, as @@HE@@ points out the village of Piddleton on a map to alleviate everyone's curiosity. "This is the only school in Piddleton and it has served our community well for generations. In a village of our size, these quotas are impossible to fill. You can not allow these restrictions in village districts."

[OPTION] "I've heard that in Ausblic they combine classes in rural communities," states @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Junior Education Minister, as @@HE@@ sits right next to the principal, invading @@HIS(1)@@ personal space. "For example: they put students from grade five and grade six together. It will require a slight rearrangement of the curriculum, but I'm sure those in the field of academia can handle it. Although, in the case of this school in Piddleton, you might have to combine grades one to twelve."

[OPTION] "How much are we going to fork out for schools with only a handful of children in them?" complains @@RANDOMNAME@@, the First Minister of the district in question, who spots a one @@CURRENCY@@ coin on the floor, then pockets it. "If schools can not fill their student number quotas, then quite simply it is not economical for the local authority to continue financing them. Close these schools down and the little tykes will have to get their education in the nearest town."

[EFFECT] a long-distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school

[OPTION] "These sheep are so cute and fluffy," says second grader @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ presents you with a scarf made from @@HIS@@ classmate. "I love studying with sheep, they help me to study better. Every school should have sheep in them, or rabbits, or baby harp seals."

[EFFECT] @@CAPITAL@@ High School are no longer @@REGION@@ champions since Dolly the sheep became captain

[TITLE] Sheepish Students

[OPTION] "These sheep are so cute and fluffy," says second-grader @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ presents you with a scarf made from @@HIS@@ classmate. "I love studying with sheep, they help me to study better. Every school should have sheep in them, or rabbits, or baby harp seals."

[EFFECT] lamb has been taken off school cafeteria menus

[VALIDITY] has devolution, not vegetarian

[OPTION] "These sheep are so cute and fluffy," says second-grader @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ presents you with a scarf made from @@HIS@@ classmate. "I love studying with sheep, they help me to study better. Every school should have sheep in them, or rabbits, or guinea pigs."

[EFFECT] hay has been added to school cafeteria menus

[DESCRIPTION] A school in the tiny village of Piddleton, that lies in a sparsely populated and mountainous district of @@NAME@@, has just enrolled 24 sheep from a nearby farm as students. The inability to fill local authority-mandated student-number quotas - that help to keep schools financially viable - would have otherwise meant the closure of the school.

[OPTION] "What other choice did I have?" bemoans @@RANDOMNAME@@, the principal of the school, as @@HE@@ points out the village of Piddleton on a map to alleviate everyone's curiosity. "This is the only school in Piddleton and it has served our community well for generations, the only other school near us is an hour's bike ride away. In a village of our size, these quotas are impossible to fill. You can not allow these restrictions in any school, especially in village districts."

[OPTION] "These sheep are so cute and fluffy," says second-grader @@RANDOMNAME@@, as @@HE@@ presents you with a scarf made from @@HIS@@ classmate. "I love studying with sheep, they help me to study better. Every school should have sheep in them, or rabbits, or guinea pigs."

[EFFECT] hay has been added to school cafeteria menus
Last edited by Baggieland on Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:56 am, edited 6 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 pm

Take a page out of Australia's book and combine classes (e.g. Years 5 & 6 are both the same class). Also, option 3, how does a 7 year old inland dweller know what a harp seal is? It's not that she's seen one on her holiday to the beach
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:43 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Take a page out of Australia's book and combine classes (e.g. Years 5 & 6 are both the same class).

That could be a possible extra option.

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, option 3, how does a 7 year old inland dweller know what a harp seal is? It's not that she's seen one on her holiday to the beach

I've been all around the world, never seen a harp seal with my own eyes though. Still, I know what one looks like, books, TV, internet.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:57 am

2nd draft is up.

Australian rePublic wrote:Take a page out of Australia's book and combine classes

I put that in, and gave the speakers some more character.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:28 am

I know what a seal is. I wouldn't be able to tell you what distinguishes a harp seal from any other seal without looking it up on Wikipedia, though.

Incidentally, it should be "harp seal", lowercase. Or maybe "Harp Seal", in some formal contexts, but "Harp seal" would only be appropiate if it was named after a person named Harp, which it wasn't.

Have a hyphen here too:
Baggieland wrote:a long distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school
"Long-distance".

And finally...
Baggieland wrote:[EFFECT] @@CAPITAL@@ High School is no longer @@REGION@@ champions since Dolly the sheep became captain
"Is" (singular) and and "champions" (plural) don't line up.

Now, of course, the fact that my nation has sentient sheep and so them attending school would be completely unremarkable is not something I expect you to work into the issue :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:37 am

Trotterdam wrote:I know what a seal is. I wouldn't be able to tell you what distinguishes a harp seal from any other seal without looking it up on Wikipedia, though.

Incidentally, it should be "harp seal", lowercase. Or maybe "Harp Seal", in some formal contexts, but "Harp seal" would only be appropiate if it was named after a person named Harp, which it wasn't.

Have a hyphen here too:
Baggieland wrote:a long distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school
"Long-distance".

And finally...
Baggieland wrote:[EFFECT] @@CAPITAL@@ High School is no longer @@REGION@@ champions since Dolly the sheep became captain

Now, of course, the fact that my nation has sentient sheep and so them attending school would be completely unremarkable is not something I expect you to work into the issue :)

The inability for an 8 year old to distinguish between different types of seals is what I meant by asking how she knew what a harp seal was.

Also, isn't @@CAPITAL@@ a large enough city to not have to worry about this?
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, isn't @@CAPITAL@@ a large enough city to not have to worry about this?
Obviously, yes, which is why this isn't happening in @@CAPITAL@@.

The only option which mentions @@CAPITAL@@ at all is the last one, which explicitly says animals should be introduced into every school for the sake of cuteness rather than padding numbers.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Also, isn't @@CAPITAL@@ a large enough city to not have to worry about this?
Obviously, yes, which is why this isn't happening in @@CAPITAL@@.

The only option which mentions @@CAPITAL@@ at all is the last one, which explicitly says animals should be introduced into every school for the sake of cuteness rather than padding numbers.

The way it's worded lead me to believe that the speaker is a studnet from the sheep school

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Option 2- Although, in the case of this school in Piddleton, you might have to combine grades one to twelve."

Why? Considering how they were only 24 students short. Unless a single sheep substitutes more than a single studnet...

Also, the title is a little disconnected. What has crying wolf got to do with anything?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:The way it's worded lead me to believe that the speaker is a studnet from the sheep school
Yes, he is, and the opinion he is voicing is that policy his school is already implementing, of including sheep in the classroom, should be extended to other schools across the nation.

This is not hard.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:The way it's worded lead me to believe that the speaker is a studnet from the sheep school
Yes, he is, and the opinion he is voicing is that policy his school is already implementing, of including sheep in the classroom, should be extended to other schools across the nation.

This is not hard.

But there aren't any sheep schools in @@CAPITAL@@. I feel like we're running around i circles

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:33 am

Australian rePublic wrote:But there aren't any sheep schools in @@CAPITAL@@.
Yet. That's what the speaker wants to change.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:01 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:But there aren't any sheep schools in @@CAPITAL@@.
Yet. That's what the speaker wants to change.

I see. I thought it was a speaker from a sheep school. Now, on to the next question. How does an 8 y/o know about sheep schools? Unless she recently moved to @@CAPITAL@@ or something

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 am

Aaargh.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:39 am

Trotterdam wrote:Aaargh.

I feel your frustration.

I admit, schadenfreude is also allowing me to enjoy your frustration.

But you've been definitely been Aussied. :)
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Aaargh.

I feel your frustration.

I admit, schadenfreude is also allowing me to enjoy your frustration.

But you've been definitely been Aussied. :)

Am I wrong though?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Am I wrong though?
Yes.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:11 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Am I wrong though?
Yes.

How so?

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm

I'd be interested to know what the sheep think of this.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Aclion wrote:I'd be interested to know what the sheep think of this.
Bah.

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Bah.

Ewe should be ashamed.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:40 am

Trotterdam wrote:Incidentally, it should be "harp seal", lowercase. Or maybe "Harp Seal", in some formal contexts, but "Harp seal" would only be appropiate if it was named after a person named Harp, which it wasn't.

Have a hyphen here too:
Baggieland wrote:
a long distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school
"Long-distance".

And finally...
Baggieland wrote:

Changes made.

Right. Aussie. What am I going to do with you? :)

I agree with everything that Trotters has tried to point out to you.

Australian rePublic wrote:The inability for an 8 year old to distinguish between different types of seals is what I meant by asking how she knew what a harp seal was.

As I said before, there's TV, internet, books, magazines, zoos. When you were a kid, did you know the difference between an African elephant and an Asian elephant? A boa and a cobra? Etc., etc. I bet you did thanks to the above mentioned forms of information.

Australian rePublic wrote:Why? Considering how they were only 24 students short. Unless a single sheep substitutes more than a single studnet...

If there was only a handful of students to begin with, then plus 24 sheep makes a class size of around 30 students. A good class size number.

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, the title is a little disconnected. What has crying wolf got to do with anything?

I'm open to suggestions.

Australian rePublic wrote:I see. I thought it was a speaker from a sheep school. Now, on to the next question. How does an 8 y/o know about sheep schools? Unless she recently moved to @@CAPITAL@@ or something

That is the suggestion for LEADER to implement nationwide, as is always the case with NS issue options.

Trotterdam wrote:Now, of course, the fact that my nation has sentient sheep and so them attending school would be completely unremarkable is not something I expect you to work into the issue

I always wondered if this should have an extra option, with one of the sheep giving her opinion on matters. :)

Third draft with the corrections is up.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 am

Baggieland wrote:
Trotterdam wrote:Incidentally, it should be "harp seal", lowercase. Or maybe "Harp Seal", in some formal contexts, but "Harp seal" would only be appropiate if it was named after a person named Harp, which it wasn't.

Have a hyphen here too:
Baggieland wrote:
a long distance hike gets students geared up for a long day at school
"Long-distance".

And finally...
Baggieland wrote:

Changes made.

Right. Aussie. What am I going to do with you? :)

I agree with everything that Trotters has tried to point out to you.

Australian rePublic wrote:The inability for an 8 year old to distinguish between different types of seals is what I meant by asking how she knew what a harp seal was.

As I said before, there's TV, internet, books, magazines, zoos. When you were a kid, did you know the difference between an African elephant and an Asian elephant? A boa and a cobra? Etc., etc. I bet you did thanks to the above mentioned forms of information.

I still don't know the difference between an African elephant and an Asian elephant

Australian rePublic wrote:Why? Considering how they were only 24 students short. Unless a single sheep substitutes more than a single studnet...

If there was only a handful of students to begin with, then plus 24 sheep makes a class size of around 30 students. A good class size number.

But a class isn't an entire school

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, the title is a little disconnected. What has crying wolf got to do with anything?

I'm open to suggestions.

@@NAME@@'s sheepish students?

Australian rePublic wrote:I see. I thought it was a speaker from a sheep school. Now, on to the next question. How does an 8 y/o know about sheep schools? Unless she recently moved to @@CAPITAL@@ or something

That is the suggestion for LEADER to implement nationwide, as is always the case with NS issue options.

Trotterdam wrote:Now, of course, the fact that my nation has sentient sheep and so them attending school would be completely unremarkable is not something I expect you to work into the issue

I always wondered if this should have an extra option, with one of the sheep giving her opinion on matters. :)

Third draft with the corrections is up.

[/quote]
Yes, yes fine. I've written enough issues to know that. My question was how does she know about the sheep school?

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:38 am

An interesting aspect of schools this small is often that they only have one or 2 staff members. You might want to make a joke of that, say by having the principal also be the english, maths, science, history and PE teacher.

Trotterdam wrote:
Bah.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:15 am

Oh, hmm. I guess I want a few more hyphens.
Baggieland wrote:local-authority-mandated
Baggieland wrote:a one-@@CURRENCY@@ coin
Baggieland wrote:second-grader

Baggieland wrote:
Incidentally, I've recently been playing the Rune Factory games, where the second game features the construction of a school in a small village that normally wouldn't be able to afford one as a plot point, while the third game features a protagonist who can transform into a sheep monster (so I've been seeing "bah" come up as an opinion a lot). I kind of feel like some sort of reference would be called for, but I can't think of one.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?