NATION

PASSWORD

Was German Reunification a Mistake?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was German reunification, as it happened, a mistake?

Yes, Germany should never have been reunified
17%
Sort of, because it was done wrong and/or too quickly
26%
No
57%

Total votes : 180

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:14 am

The Natufian Nation wrote:Germany never should have formed in the first place, damn you Otto von Bismarck!. The more pieces the better. I say, bring back the Holy Roman Empire!!

People in this thread seem to keep forgetting that we are talking about the 1990 reunification, and not stuff that happened a century or two prior.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:16 am

Bears Armed wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Except not. West and East Germany reunified in 1989-90 (3 October 1990). Ukraine and Belarus existed only as part of the Soviet Union, without any authority as a sovereign state outside of it (like the modern Republics of the Russian Federation). They became sovereign nations in August 1991, and their statehood internationally recognized -at some points- later into 1992-3. At the point the 4+2 negotiations were going on, Ukraine and Belarus existed only as members of the Soviet Union, and under jurisdiction thereof. Their "internationally recognized statehood" was like that of the Republic of Dagestan. None at all. Whether or not Pomerania and (EDITED: Lower) Silesia should have been returned to Germany isn't my point, it's that Kresy should have been returned to Poland first, before any form of negotiation over German unification could start (as Germany still had claims on lands held by Poland, which it did not rescind until after the agreement).

Except that, to placate the Soviets, Belarus and the Ukraine had been given theoretically-separate seats in the UN from early on in that organisation's existence...

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:I think you're forgetting that "Russia" in 1939 included Belarus and Lithuania, which border Kaliningrad.

Incorrect. The Soviet Union didn't annex Lithuania until the summer of 1940.

1939 1940 makes no difference, I'm simply illustrating that the USSR already bordered Kaliningrad de jure before the conferences deciding its future.

The New California Republic wrote:
Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:

In many respects, East Germany is one of the worst post-communist countries today.

In 2017, the East German unemployment rate was more than double that of the Czech Republic and Poland, for example. Wages in East Germany are lower than both of those, when adjusted for PPP.

Ignoring for a second that East Germany isn't a separate country, many of the current economic problems in that part of Germany can be laid at the feet of the wrecking ball tactics of the Treuhand.

So? Identical tactics were used in the Czech Republic/Slovakia and in Poland, originally called Balcerowicz Plan which predated Treuhand by a good few months. East German problems are precisely due to the fact that they are part of Germany at-large, as their currency is uncompetitive for their productivity and West German manufacturing companies obliterated East German competitors, while West German consumer goods companies set up networks in East Germany and then export profits back to the West. None of Germany's 100 largest firms are located in the East.

In the same fashion, a Korean reunification without at least some 30-year transitioning period of two independent cooperating states would completely obliterate North Korean society.
Last edited by Definitely Not Trumptonium on Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:So? Identical tactics were used in the Czech Republic/Slovakia and in Poland, originally called Balcerowicz Plan which predated Treuhand by a good few months. East German problems are precisely due to the fact that they are part of Germany at-large, as their currency is uncompetitive for their productivity and West German manufacturing companies obliterated East German competitors, while West German consumer goods companies set up networks in East Germany and then export profits back to the West. None of Germany's 100 largest firms are located in the East.

And hence why many people on this thread have mentioned that reunification should have been done differently.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Definitely Not Trumptonium
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Definitely Not Trumptonium » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:23 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:So? Identical tactics were used in the Czech Republic/Slovakia and in Poland, originally called Balcerowicz Plan which predated Treuhand by a good few months. East German problems are precisely due to the fact that they are part of Germany at-large, as their currency is uncompetitive for their productivity and West German manufacturing companies obliterated East German competitors, while West German consumer goods companies set up networks in East Germany and then export profits back to the West. None of Germany's 100 largest firms are located in the East.

And hence why many people on this thread have mentioned that reunification should have been done differently.

Any 'reunification' into a single state is economic suicide, unless you plan to stop time for the richer neighbour until the poorer one catches up.
I sexually identify as Michael Jackson and my preferred pronouns are He / Hee!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:44 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:And hence why many people on this thread have mentioned that reunification should have been done differently.

Any 'reunification' into a single state is economic suicide, unless you plan to stop time for the richer neighbour until the poorer one catches up.

The case of VEB Pentacon that I mentioned earlier gives an example of how it could have been done differently.

Wave on, wave on

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:58 am

The edge behind muh "The 1870 German Unification was the mistake" posts present in this thread almost physically hurts tbh, and this NS only exists as one such AltHis scenario in the first place.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Rost Dreadnorramus
Envoy

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rost Dreadnorramus » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:01 am

No it was'nt.
0=={]=====>

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:48 am

No.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

The Natufian Nation
Attaché

Founded: Jul 09, 2017
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Natufian Nation » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:41 am

The Natufian Nation wrote:Germany never should have formed in the first place, damn you Otto von Bismarck!. The more pieces the better. I say, bring back the Holy Roman Empire!!

People in this thread seem to keep forgetting that we are talking about the 1990 reunification, and not stuff that happened a century or two prior.

No, it was clear the thread is talking about 1990 as the word reunification means making whole again after having once been separated, implying a previous state of unity. Yes, I was going tangential to the topic but I hope it is clear that was intentional to try to interject a bit of humor and maybe stimulate some thought as to whether or not the idea of a German nation ever really made sense in the first place. But thanks for trying to keep us all on topic.

If you really want to know my opinion about reunification, no, I don't think it was a mistake at all. A united Germany provides a robust economic and political anchor for the EU and is critical for a strong NATO, both forwarding the cause of peace in Europe and keeping Western Europe relevant on the world stage. And it seemed the majority of German people on both sides largely wanted it and I support self-determination. Just my $0.02

Based Groyper
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Based Groyper » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:25 am

Yes, absolutely, Britain should never have allowed such a thing - a United Germany allows for a United Europe which it is in Britain's interests to quell.
"Please do not insult the Joker and the memory of Heath Ledger with your nflated sense of self."
-Gauthier

Saphria
Secretary

Founded: Jun 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saphria » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 am

Bro, when you expand territory and population your upkeep might go up, but your net income and productivity as a society goes WAYYYY up.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General