NATION

PASSWORD

Was German Reunification a Mistake?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was German reunification, as it happened, a mistake?

Yes, Germany should never have been reunified
17%
Sort of, because it was done wrong and/or too quickly
26%
No
57%

Total votes : 180

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Eglaecia wrote:
Mojave Confederation wrote:So does unified France! and let's not mention unified Great Britain.

France, up until the satanic revolution, was valuable to the world. The UK unifying was illegitimate but in the long run has also been beneficial.

Let us not downplay how UK playing cartel just because it cannot pay its tea is the single biggest reason Communist China exist today, or the part where it aggressively expand to literally everything that move, then arbitrarily make nonsense border as it leave, just like how the allies divide Germany willy-nilly. It's not just Sykes-Picot or India-Pakistan, even Nigeria for example is a mess.
Welcome to The Platinum Chip of The Wasteland, enjoy your stay!

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Mojave Confederation wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:France, up until the satanic revolution, was valuable to the world. The UK unifying was illegitimate but in the long run has also been beneficial.

Let us not downplay how UK playing cartel just because it cannot pay its tea is the single biggest reason Communist China exist today, or the part where it aggressively expand to literally everything that move, then arbitrarily make nonsense border as it leave, just like how the allies divide Germany willy-nilly. It's not just Sykes-Picot or India-Pakistan, even Nigeria for example is a mess.

TFW you literally colonize 24% of the world's land area and 23% of its total population, massacre millions of natives and other non-Anglos, dismantle societal structures having existed there for hundreds of years and put arbitrary borders that make no fucking sense, resulting in the eternal anguish and territorial disputes in everywhere you've colonized and/or touched because of muh free trade.
Last edited by North German Realm on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:54 am

North German Realm wrote:
Mojave Confederation wrote:Let us not downplay how UK playing cartel just because it cannot pay its tea is the single biggest reason Communist China exist today, or the part where it aggressively expand to literally everything that move, then arbitrarily make nonsense border as it leave, just like how the allies divide Germany willy-nilly. It's not just Sykes-Picot or India-Pakistan, even Nigeria for example is a mess.

TFW you literally colonize 24% of the world's land area and 23% of its total population, massacre millions of natives and other non-Anglos, dismantle societal structures having existed there for hundreds of years and put arbitrary borders that make no fucking sense, resulting in the eternal anguish and territorial disputes in everywhere you've colonized and/or touched because of muh free trade.

Anglos being in favour of free trade? :rofl:

Did not stop them from waging war against the Dutch republic for trading.
The Blaatschapen should resign

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:55 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
North German Realm wrote:TFW you literally colonize 24% of the world's land area and 23% of its total population, massacre millions of natives and other non-Anglos, dismantle societal structures having existed there for hundreds of years and put arbitrary borders that make no fucking sense, resulting in the eternal anguish and territorial disputes in everywhere you've colonized and/or touched because of muh free trade.

Anglos being in favour of free trade? :rofl:

Did not stop them from waging war against the Dutch republic for trading.

I'm serious. Pretty much everything the British Empire did from an "Foreign Policy" perspective during the Splendid Isolation was to ensure -and promote- free trade. Which is ironic, because it was kinda the cause for multiple recessions in Continental Europe.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:27 am

Eglaecia wrote:
Mojave Confederation wrote:So does unified France! and let's not mention unified Great Britain.

France, up until the satanic revolution, was valuable to the world. The UK unifying was illegitimate but in the long run has also been beneficial.

If Satan is on the side of overthrowing monarchs, secularization of society, and the metric system, I'm on Team Satan!
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 am

Page wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:France, up until the satanic revolution, was valuable to the world. The UK unifying was illegitimate but in the long run has also been beneficial.

If Satan is on the side of overthrowing monarchs, secularization of society, and the metric system, I'm on Team Satan!

Except from the metric system, yes that is what side Satan is on.
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:39 am

Eglaecia wrote:
Page wrote:

Except from the metric system, yes that is what side Satan is on.

His side then.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 am

Page wrote:

It's less about overthrowing monarchs and more about representation and constitutionalism. Never forget that the Revolution took the wrong turn specifically because the King was too much of an oaf to know when he was beaten and tried to go against the Parliament he himself had given assent to.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

Overthrowing monarchy with the aid of Satan? Colonizing 24% of the world, where 23% of the world's population lives, with a handful of guys in red coats?

Get back to talking about the actual topic, which, in case you don't remember, is the late 20th century reunification of Germany. Don't make me unleash the Flying Monkeys.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Arcturus Novus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arcturus Novus » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 am

Honestly? We should probably go back farther than just the 1990s. The unification of Germany in the 1860s-70s was the real problem.
Arcy (she/her), NS' fourth-favorite transsexual communist!
"I can fix her!" cool, I'm gonna make her worse.
me - my politics - my twitter
Nilokeras wrote:there is of course an interesting thread to pull on [...]
Unfortunately we're all forced to participate in whatever baroque humiliation kink the OP has going on instead.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 am

Arcturus Novus wrote:Honestly? We should probably go back farther than just the 1990s. The unification of Germany in the 1860s-70s was the real problem.

Blame it -like most other things that've happened in Europe the last few centuries- on Napoleon.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:34 am

Yes. Germany never should have reunited. In fact the GDR should have been relegated to polish territory/puppet state
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:40 am

Thermodolia wrote:Yes. Germany never should have reunited. In fact the GDR should have been relegated to polish territory/puppet state

Puppet state of poland? I could see reducing the GDR's size, but I wouldn't like for it to become a Russian puppet.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 am

Mojave Confederation wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:What are you talking about? The unified Germany was the cause of so much damage to Europe. Keeping it divided was the best option for the long-term stability of Europe and the world.

So does unified France! and let's not mention unified Great Britain.

Outside of the 1st French empire a unified France hasn’t been that military of a danger
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am

Kvatchdom wrote:

What do you mean "satanic revolution"?

They mean the French Revolution. One of the best things to happen btw
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:50 am

Thermodolia wrote:

Outside of the 1st French empire a unified France hasn’t been that military of a danger

Uuuuuuuuuuh
Absolutist France was literally responsible for nearly every single major war in Europe ever since Louis XIV. The Restoration's agitations was the cause for the Rhine Crisis (which nearly started a major European War), the second republic was responsible for the Springtime of Nations, and the second Empire was responsible for every single crisis that Bismarck wasn't (i.e. the two wars Prussia fought in).
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:53 am

Thermodolia wrote:Yes. Germany never should have reunited. In fact the GDR should have been relegated to polish territory/puppet state

Do you mean post-1945 or post-1990? :unsure:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:53 am

The South Falls wrote:

Puppet state of poland? I could see reducing the GDR's size, but I wouldn't like for it to become a Russian puppet.

When did Poland become Russia?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:54 am

Thermodolia wrote:Outside of the 1st French empire a unified France hasn’t been that military of a danger

Uuuuuuuuuuh
Absolutist France was literally responsible for nearly every single major war in Europe ever since Louis XIV. The Restoration's agitations was the cause for the Rhine Crisis (which nearly started a major European War), the second republic was responsible for the Springtime of Nations, and the second Empire was responsible for every single crisis that Bismarck wasn't (i.e. the two wars Prussia fought in).

Eh no biggie
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:54 am

The New California Republic wrote:

Post-1990

The Rhineland should have been given to France post 1945 and the Netherlands and Denmark should have also been extended in 45
Last edited by Thermodolia on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:57 am

Thermodolia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Do you mean post-1945 or post-1990? :unsure:

Post-1990

The Rhineland should have been given to France post 1945 and the Netherlands and Denmark should have also been extended in 45

But what about the East German voters that wanted reunification?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nilrahrarfan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nilrahrarfan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 am

I wish neither, and if anything, Poland should become a part of Germany. I'd LOVE to see the German-Polish union.
Master of Puppets on Nationstates
Favorite forum: Moderation

✠ (Put this in your Signature if you are a Fascist Nation!)
Supports: Fascism, National Anarchism, Storms, Atheism, Dictatorship, Alt-Right, The Supreme Authority, Kekistan, Metal/Classical Music, Moderation Forum, Taking Guns from Antifa
Opposes: Monarchy, Sunshine and Rainbows, SJW's, Religion (Unless Katrina's the one being worshipped), Jihadism, Environmentalism, Direct Democracy, Democratic Socialism, Autotuned Pop Music, Antifa

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:02 am

Thermodolia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Do you mean post-1945 or post-1990? :unsure:

Post-1990

Edgy.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
Ukraine and Belarus were independent states before German reunification, what you're proposing is annexing internationally recognised sovereign nations to give a favour to Germany.
Except not. West and East Germany reunified in 1989-90 (3 October 1990). Ukraine and Belarus existed only as part of the Soviet Union, without any authority as a sovereign state outside of it (like the modern Republics of the Russian Federation). They became sovereign nations in August 1991, and their statehood internationally recognized -at some points- later into 1992-3. At the point the 4+2 negotiations were going on, Ukraine and Belarus existed only as members of the Soviet Union, and under jurisdiction thereof. Their "internationally recognized statehood" was like that of the Republic of Dagestan. None at all. Whether or not Pomerania and (EDITED: Lower) Silesia should have been returned to Germany isn't my point, it's that Kresy should have been returned to Poland first, before any form of negotiation over German unification could start (as Germany still had claims on lands held by Poland, which it did not rescind until after the agreement).

This is the exact reason why I think Germany should have been forcibly broken up post 45
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am

Thermodolia wrote:Post-1990

But what about the East German voters that wanted reunification?

If they don’t like polish rule they can move elsewhere
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General