NATION

PASSWORD

Was German Reunification a Mistake?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was German reunification, as it happened, a mistake?

Yes, Germany should never have been reunified
17%
Sort of, because it was done wrong and/or too quickly
26%
No
57%

Total votes : 180

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:35 am

Germany should've never been reunified. It is in Europe's interests that Germany is neutered. It should've been divided much more than it was.
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Flaxxony
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flaxxony » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:42 am

The east/west division of Germany was a totally inorganic division of the country that should have never happened. WW2 should have never happened. If the allies in WW1 would have just followed standard postwar protocol in dealing with Germany it probably would have worked fine

Eglaecia
Diplomat

Founded: May 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Eglaecia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 am

Flaxxony wrote:The east/west division of Germany was a totally inorganic division of the country that should have never happened. WW2 should have never happened. If the allies in WW1 would have just followed standard postwar protocol in dealing with Germany it probably would have worked fine

WW2 shouldn't have happened but the Germans started it.
Catholique, Intégraliste, Distributiste | Catechism of Pope St. Pius X | Rerum Novarum | On Integralism
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church."
Great British Unionist and Celtic Cultural Revivalist
"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be."

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:44 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Geneviev wrote:German reunification was not a mistake. The problems that were caused by reunification could have been prevented if Germany had never been divided. These problems are very real, but the division of the German people was much worse.

I think that some kind of division was inevitable due to the way that WW2 in Europe progressed on two fronts towards Germany; it was just a question of how it was going to be divided, and what form said division would take.

Germanyt wrote:Austria remains outside of Germany, and the traditional German lands ethnically and culturally cleansed by Stalin remain lost.

There was a price to be paid for trying to annex half of Europe, and that was part of the price I'm afraid.

That may be true, but the division of Germany into two different countries for such a long time was unnecessary and a mistake.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Germanyt
Secretary

Founded: Jan 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Germanyt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:45 am

Geneviev wrote:German reunification was not a mistake. The problems that were caused by reunification could have been prevented if Germany had never been divided. These problems are very real, but the division of the German people was much worse.

I think that some kind of division was inevitable due to the way that WW2 in Europe progressed on two fronts towards Germany; it was just a question of how it was going to be divided, and what form said division would take.

Germanyt wrote:Austria remains outside of Germany, and the traditional German lands ethnically and culturally cleansed by Stalin remain lost.

There was a price to be paid for trying to annex half of Europe, and that was part of the price I'm afraid.

Division would not have occurred if the allies kicked the Soviets out of Eastern Europe like Patton wanted. Also, don't justify the murder and rape and ethnic cleansing of millions of men, women, and children by saying "there was a price to pay". The price to pay was reparations and rebuilding, not the rape of Prussia.
Metaphysics: Objective Reality
Epistemology: Reason
Ethics: Rational Egoism
Politics: Capitalism
mostly straight

Borinsa
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Borinsa » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:45 am

Yes
Germany should had stayed being city states
Last edited by Borinsa on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Population; 4,307,167 Land Area; 28,847.29 sqkm Pop. Density; 149.3 people per sqkm
Capital City; Rosgrava Official Language; Borinsan Currency; Borin
GDP per capita; 8,017.88 USD GDP; 34,534,348,145.96 USD Exchange rate; 1.00 USD = 2.24 Borins
Majority Faith; Catholic (93.7%) Atheism Rate; 5.8% Atheist Majority ethnicity; Borinsan 98.95%
Small southeastern European country, not part of EU or Schengen zone, is however part of NATO.

Borinsa's Liberal Values;
Climate Change is real, Gay Rights, Pro-Vaccination, Secularism, Round Earth
Borinsa's Conservative Values;
Nativism, Anti-Islam/sharia law, Borinsa First, Only two genders, Anti-flouridation, Pro-life, Privilege is scapegoating, right to privacy.

*Borinsa is on the fence on gun rights

Germanyt
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Germanyt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 am

Eglaecia wrote:
Flaxxony wrote:The east/west division of Germany was a totally inorganic division of the country that should have never happened. WW2 should have never happened. If the allies in WW1 would have just followed standard postwar protocol in dealing with Germany it probably would have worked fine

WW2 shouldn't have happened but the Germans started it.

So the Germans were asking for it, huh?
mostly straight

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:48 am

Germanyt wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:WW2 shouldn't have happened but the Germans started it.

So the Germans were asking for it, huh?

World War 2 started because Hitler decided to invade Poland, so that war was actually Germany's fault.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Germanyt
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Germanyt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 am

Geneviev wrote:
Germanyt wrote:So the Germans were asking for it, huh?

World War 2 started because Hitler decided to invade Poland, so that war was actually Germany's fault.

It was the Nazis' fault.
mostly straight

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 am

Germanyt wrote:
Geneviev wrote:World War 2 started because Hitler decided to invade Poland, so that war was actually Germany's fault.

It was the Nazis' fault.

That is true. Sadly, they were theoretically Germans.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 am

Eglaecia wrote:Germany should've never been reunified. It is in Europe's interests that Germany is neutered. It should've been divided much more than it was.

I thought we were past such edgynesses. Not that you'd want to add anything to the monument of your sins, don't you?

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:51 am

Germanyt wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:There was a price to be paid for trying to annex half of Europe, and that was part of the price I'm afraid.

Also, don't justify the murder and rape and ethnic cleansing of millions of men, women, and children by saying "there was a price to pay". The price to pay was reparations and rebuilding, not the rape of Prussia.

Moving the goalposts I see. I never said I agreed with how it was done.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:52 am

Germanyt wrote:
Geneviev wrote:World War 2 started because Hitler decided to invade Poland, so that war was actually Germany's fault.

It was the Nazis' fault.

Not this meme again. The "Nazis" didn't fight on the two fronts. The Germans did. And, until late into the war, they pretty openly supported the war effort (and policies taken by the Nazi regime) too.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:53 am

Nakena wrote:
Eglaecia wrote:Germany should've never been reunified. It is in Europe's interests that Germany is neutered. It should've been divided much more than it was.

I thought we were past such edgynesses. Not that you'd want to add anything to the monument of your sins, don't you?

It's a legitimate view. Stupid as hell and edgy as fuck, but still a legitimate view.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:54 am

North German Realm wrote:
Nakena wrote:

It's a legitimate view. Stupid as hell and edgy as fuck, but still a legitimate view.

Like separated into a Greater Bavaria and a North German Realm perhaps?
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:56 am

Nakena wrote:
North German Realm wrote:It's a legitimate view. Stupid as hell and edgy as fuck, but still a legitimate view.

Like separated in Bavaria and a North German Realm perhaps?

In my defense, It was certainly a possibility at the time my PoD happens in :p

But in all seriousness, the view that "The Unified German Realm is against the interests of literally everyone else in the European Continent who considered being bullies to the Small States a continental hobby for centuries" is really not that weird for a non-German European to have.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Nakena
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 am

Nakena wrote:
Like separated in Bavaria and a North German Realm perhaps?

In my defense, It was certainly a possibility at the time my PoD happens in :p

But in all seriousness, the view that "The Unified German Realm is against the interests of literally everyone else in the European Continent who considered being bullies to the Small States a continental hobby for centuries" is really not that weird for a non-German European to have.

The same could be said about Italy who was divided into many city states for the longest time. Didn Machiavelli wrote also an eassy where he called to expel the barbarians?
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:01 am

uh, what's standard postwar protocol of the time to the First Great War?
Welcome to The Platinum Chip of The Wasteland, enjoy your stay!

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am

Mojave Confederation wrote:

uh, what's standard postwar protocol of the time to the First Great War?

The Losing party concedes defeat, pays mild reparations (which is typically dependent on how much destruction there's been), may possibly concede territory (but that's nowhere as simple as "I want this land, gimme". It needs justifications). The two parties exchange prisoners and, provided there's been an annexation, give the people of the annexed area the opportunity to leave the annexed area.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:06 am

Nakena wrote:
North German Realm wrote:In my defense, It was certainly a possibility at the time my PoD happens in :p

The same could be said about Italy who was divided into many city states for the longest time. Didn Machiavelli wrote also an eassy where he called to expel the barbarians?

Eh, don't blame me for the hypocrisy of Europeans, not treating Italian unification the same as Germany.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Mojave Confederation
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Mojave Confederation » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:08 am

Mojave Confederation wrote:uh, what's standard postwar protocol of the time to the First Great War?

The Losing party concedes defeat, pays mild reparations (which is typically dependent on how much destruction there's been), may possibly concede territory (but that's nowhere as simple as "I want this land, gimme". It needs justifications). The two parties exchange prisoners and, provided there's been an annexation, give the people of the annexed area the opportunity to leave the annexed area.

So, like what happened irl?
Welcome to The Platinum Chip of The Wasteland, enjoy your stay!

North German Realm
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:10 am

Mojave Confederation wrote:
North German Realm wrote:The Losing party concedes defeat, pays mild reparations (which is typically dependent on how much destruction there's been), may possibly concede territory (but that's nowhere as simple as "I want this land, gimme". It needs justifications). The two parties exchange prisoners and, provided there's been an annexation, give the people of the annexed area the opportunity to leave the annexed area.

So, like what happened irl?

Is this specifically about the Treaty of Versailles or the Post-war treaties in general? I have responses for both scenarios, but would like not to waste my time for all of it if the topic is specifically Versailles.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Norddeutscher Bund
5 Nov, 2020

Germanyt
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Germanyt » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 am

Germanyt wrote:Also, don't justify the murder and rape and ethnic cleansing of millions of men, women, and children by saying "there was a price to pay". The price to pay was reparations and rebuilding, not the rape of Prussia.

Moving the goalposts I see. I never said I agreed with how it was done.

Just politely ask the civilians to leave their homes and move to crowded Berlin slums? Just politely request it?
mostly straight

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 am

Germanyt wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Moving the goalposts I see. I never said I agreed with how it was done.

Just politely ask the civilians to leave their homes and move to crowded Berlin slums? Just politely request it?

And now you are strawmanning. There isn't just a binary option of either raping and murdering or pussyfooting around people. :roll:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 am

Nakena wrote:
North German Realm wrote:In my defense, It was certainly a possibility at the time my PoD happens in :p

Expel the barbarossians :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General