NATION

PASSWORD

Was German Reunification a Mistake?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Was German reunification, as it happened, a mistake?

Yes, Germany should never have been reunified
17%
Sort of, because it was done wrong and/or too quickly
26%
No
57%

Total votes : 180

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 am

Definitely Not Trumptonium wrote:
North German Realm wrote:Whether or not Poland would forcefully expel tens of millions of people after getting Kresy and thus commit ethnic cleansing is on Poland, no? Poland, as a civilized member-state of a modern order could simply not do that if they wanted to.

There's a bit of irony in mentioning being 'civilized' when your argument rests on turning people's lives upside down because Hans Owned This Land 100 Years Ago.

OR because the Poles owned that land over 70 years ago (a territory that the Polish State still has claims on, though I'm probably wrong about that)

Nationalist Teksas wrote:The Roosevelt Plan should have gone through after WW2.
As long as all five states wouldn't name themselves "X State of Germany", that'd be smarter than what happened in real life tbh. That said, that map makes absolutely no fucking sense and was just built on Scramble for Africa grade shit-borders.
Last edited by North German Realm on Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Zrhajan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zrhajan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:28 am

Nationalist Teksas wrote:The Roosevelt Plan should have gone through after WW2.

Nah, fuck that, you're not going to stick Baden in with the fucking Bavarians.
5D Political Test: Communist Pro-Government World-Federalist Bleeding-Heart Libertine
Collectivism score: 83%
Authoritarianism score: 33%
Internationalism score: 83%
Tribalism score: -100%

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 am

No.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Aclion wrote:Allies should have kept marching till they got to the sea of Japan.

Them and what army?

The army that nearly matched the soviets in terms of manpower, but also had the advantage of an intact industrial base and bombers with a flight ceiling above that of most soviet interceptors.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Imperial Nalvetland
Civilian

Founded: Dec 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Nalvetland » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:46 am

We made a mistake after World War 2 of not reducing them to an agricultural society once it became clear that France could no longer balance them in Europe.

National Republic of Antagoria
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby National Republic of Antagoria » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 am

Nope. Germany was extremely demilitarised after WW2 and they would be occupied immediately should they try anything fishy. Besides, a communist government would create a North and South Korea situation in Europe. Also, more people would be starvin'

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:52 am

Aclion wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Them and what army?

The army that nearly matched the soviets in terms of manpower, but also had the advantage of an intact industrial base and bombers with a flight ceiling above that of most soviet interceptors.

Or you know, ignore my argument that proves that it was impossible.
By the way Vietnam, Korea, Saxony, and England invited me to a group chat. They said it takes more than extensive bombing campaigns to make a major power surrender. Also that "intact industrial base" is going to be real helpful being separated by two massive oceans. Even with Naval superiority the delays in reinforcements and supplies would be dangerous. It also takes more than superior manpower to win a war. The Wehrmacht learned that the hard way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVo5I0xNRhg
This man has an entire series explaining how bad of an idea invading Russia is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbim2kGwhpc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTrjxOPYNY
Or if you like your history with memes.
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 am

National Republic of Antagoria wrote:Nope. Germany was extremely demilitarised after WW2 and they would be occupied immediately should they try anything fishy. Besides, a communist government would create a North and South Korea situation in Europe. Also, more people would be starvin'

Did...did you miss everything that happened in Europe after 1945 all the way to 1990? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Zrhajan
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zrhajan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:16 am

Impaled Nazarene wrote:
Aclion wrote:The army that nearly matched the soviets in terms of manpower, but also had the advantage of an intact industrial base and bombers with a flight ceiling above that of most soviet interceptors.

Or you know, ignore my argument that proves that it was impossible.
By the way Vietnam, Korea, Saxony, and England invited me to a group chat. They said it takes more than extensive bombing campaigns to make a major power surrender. Also that "intact industrial base" is going to be real helpful being separated by two massive oceans. Even with Naval superiority the delays in reinforcements and supplies would be dangerous. It also takes more than superior manpower to win a war. The Wehrmacht learned that the hard way.

To add to this fun, the climate and weather patterns in the USSR are things which American and British forces would not be used to, and the muddy fall alone would play merry hell with their logistics systems.
5D Political Test: Communist Pro-Government World-Federalist Bleeding-Heart Libertine
Collectivism score: 83%
Authoritarianism score: 33%
Internationalism score: 83%
Tribalism score: -100%

Impaled Nazarene
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Impaled Nazarene » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:18 am

Zrhajan wrote:
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Or you know, ignore my argument that proves that it was impossible.

To add to this fun, the climate and weather patterns in the USSR are things which American and British forces would not be used to, and the muddy fall alone would play merry hell with their logistics systems.

I mentioned this in my original post but thank you for adding the reminder! :)
Anarchist
Kiaculta wrote:Oh, Kar, you silly sack of shit.
Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Bickering ist krieg.
Infected Mushroom wrote:isn't this a bit extreme?
Finland SSR wrote:"Many dictatorships are oligarchies.
Many democracies are oligarchies.
Therefore, many dictatorships are democracies."

-said no one ever. I made these words up.
Genivaria wrote:"WHY!? Why do this!? Thousands of planets and trillions of innocent lives gone! For what!?"
"It seemed like fun at the time."

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 am

Thatcher and the French certainly thought so at the time of the late decline of the Soviet Union. Hell, they even wanted to try, and work something out to encourage the Germans not to integrate their "lost brethren".
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Nazis in Space
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nazis in Space » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 am

Zrhajan wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:I live in West Berlin and work in East Berlin. When I still had my bicycle, I passed Checkpoint Charlie everyday from/to work and yelled at tourists.

German reunification was not a mistake.

Though mistakes in the process were made. Like the 1:1 conversion.

But imagine, without reunification, we'd never have the BER airport.

To be fair, we'll never actually get BER, just an endless construction site.

Meaning employment for a struggling construction sector!

National Republic of Antagoria
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 08, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby National Republic of Antagoria » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:03 am

The New California Republic wrote:
National Republic of Antagoria wrote:Nope. Germany was extremely demilitarised after WW2 and they would be occupied immediately should they try anything fishy. Besides, a communist government would create a North and South Korea situation in Europe. Also, more people would be starvin'

Did...did you miss everything that happened in Europe after 1945 all the way to 1990? :eyebrow:

Yes. I know of NATO and the EU. It appears I forgot to mention the political and economic reasons why Germany would not want to start a third world war after reunification. But I still take multiple treaties into account here.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 am

Benuty wrote:Thatcher and the French certainly thought so at the time of the late decline of the Soviet Union. Hell, they even wanted to try, and work something out to encourage the Germans not to integrate their "lost brethren".

I don't think there was anything they could've done to prevent it. The Soviet Union's dissolution made it so Russia wasn't in any state to continue occupying and this was just the UK and France bemoaning some loss of leverage. It'd have arguably been more practical for Poland to try annexing East Germany, but because it was majority German- all that'd happen is that the Poles wouldn't be able to hold onto it in the long term. Germans would eventually force the Poles out if need be.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 am

Mutz wrote:
Nakena wrote:
I suppose it is the current dominant ideology in Germany that you adhere to?

You suppose? So the depth of your political analysis boils down to "This is a thing and thing is bad because you like it". Like, is the CDU/CSU "Merkelism"? What about the conflicts a-plenty and ideological differences in the party itself? Or the that it's ludicrous to talk about a "rampant dominant ideology" when the highest result of Merkels party in 2013 was 41.5%, never mind that e.g. the CSU pretty much always hated her?

No I could also call it left-liberal-centrism that is or rather was supposedly without alternative and without opposition, with the majority of the mainstream media supporting and defending Merkels policy and that of her supporters and adepts. Usually the defense of that stuff comes from people who think it is all good and nice. Most of current german media has, unless i missed out something, high degrees of indoctrination and moralization content, certain thoughts, tune and concepts are widespread promoted and unquestioned, to a point that theres no room left for independent or objective thinking. So it is naturally to assume that they're merkelism. And it isnt limited to the CDU but includes also the SPD, Greens and parts of other parties. They do, with the exception of Linke and AfD, form a cartel that works together and agrees broadly on most issues.
Last edited by Nakena on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rosethorn Autocracy
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rosethorn Autocracy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 am

Most things have been said here already so l’m just gonna limit my two cents to what hasn’t really been said:

Just in general l absolutely support reunification just from a moral standpoint. Though l agree we could have gone about it MUCH better, l do not consider it a mistake at all.
And sure our brothers in the east are a bit weird sometimes, but l mean so are the Bavarians and we still keep those around :p

Anyway as for my actual arguments:
For one, German reunification essentially saw an influx of cheap labour that was fleeing a failing state, willing to work for less, was well educated (or as well educated as is possible in an a totalitarian dictatorship) and actual spoke German as a first language.
And while this initially probably left some west Germans unemployed, our economy has since not only recovered but grown from this.
The other argument that l haven’t seen here yet is purely a moral one, namely that our country was separated in negotiations we had no say in, and they had to build a wall to keep us apart. And now that the wall’s down and Germany’s unified some of us seem to think thi was a bad thing because a fair number of them vote for fascists and neoreactionaries.
They were a part of an actual totalitarian dictatorship less than 30 years ago and we give them shit for voting badly.
Also if we’re gonna kick people out of Germany for voting “wrong” l say we start with the Bavrians.
Honestly as if we hadn’t lost enough people already.

Zrhajan wrote:Nah, fuck that, you're not going to stick Baden in with the fucking Bavarians.

Oh god no.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:11 am

National Republic of Antagoria wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Did...did you miss everything that happened in Europe after 1945 all the way to 1990? :eyebrow:

Yes. I know of NATO and the EU.

But your view of Europe clearly stops at a certain geographical point and point in time, since you seemed to forget that there basically was a North and South Korea type of situation in Europe up to 1990...

National Republic of Antagoria wrote:It appears I forgot to mention the political and economic reasons why Germany would not want to start a third world war after reunification.

Wh...what...? Where are you getting this from...? Is this a really awkward strawman or something...?
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 am

Rosethorn Autocracy wrote:For one, German reunification essentially saw an influx of cheap labour that was fleeing a failing state, willing to work for less, was well educated (or as well educated as is possible in an a totalitarian dictatorship) and actual spoke German as a first language.
And while this initially probably left some west Germans unemployed, our economy has since not only recovered but grown from this.

You seem to forget that Eastern Germany was left destitute when the industrial base was shut down by the Treuhand following reunification, which Eastern Germany still hasn't recovered from today, as many of the former industrial cities are still depopulating because of the massive unemployment that arose as a result...

Rosethorn Autocracy wrote:The other argument that l haven’t seen here yet is purely a moral one, namely that our country was separated in negotiations we had no say in, and they had to build a wall to keep us apart.

Who is "they"? If you think that the wall was built as part of the postwar agreement then you are sorely mistaken. Please, read about the wall before you make catastrophic errors such as this one.

Wave on, wave on

Rosethorn Autocracy
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rosethorn Autocracy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:51 am

Rosethorn Autocracy wrote:The other argument that l haven’t seen here yet is purely a moral one, namely that our country was separated in negotiations we had no say in, and they had to build a wall to keep us apart.

Who is "they"? If you think that the wall was built as part of the postwar agreement then you are sorely mistaken. Please, read about the wall before you make catastrophic errors such as this one.

“They” as in the soviet union
Last edited by Rosethorn Autocracy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:57 am

The New California Republic wrote:You seem to forget that Eastern Germany was left destitute when the industrial base was shut down by the Treuhand following reunification, which Eastern Germany still hasn't recovered from today, as many of the former industrial cities are still depopulating because of the massive unemployment that arose as a result...

B-but muh free market!

Also East Germany got a lot of west-german carpetbaggery through the Treuhand and beyond.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:58 am

Rosethorn Autocracy wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Who is "they"? If you think that the wall was built as part of the postwar agreement then you are sorely mistaken. Please, read about the wall before you make catastrophic errors such as this one.

The USSR didn't build it... :eyebrow:

Wave on, wave on

North German Realm
Senator

Founded: Jan 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby North German Realm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:59 am

Yeah, because East Germany had any form of agency of its own and wasn't just an extension of Soviet Union at that point.
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------
North German Confederation
NationStates Flag Bracket II - 6th place!

Norddeutscher Bund
Homepage || Overview | Sovereign | Chancellor | Military | Legislature || The World
5 Nov, 2020
Die Morgenpost: "We will reconsider our relationship with Poland" Reichskanzler Lagenmauer says after Polish president protested North German ultimatum that made them restore reproductive freedom. | European Society votes not to persecute Hungary for atrocities committed against Serbs, "Giving a rogue state leave to commit genocide as it sees fit." North German delegate bemoans. | Negotiations still underway in Rome, delegates arguing over the extent of indemnities Turkey might be made to pay, lawful status of Turkish collaborators during occupation of Azerbaijan, Cyprus, Syria.

Rosethorn Autocracy
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Rosethorn Autocracy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 am

Fine the German Democratic Republic (a soviet Substate) built it apologies.
It was still built by a totalitarian regime to deepen the divide between east and west Germany.
Last edited by Rosethorn Autocracy on Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 am

The New California Republic wrote:The USSR didn't build it... :eyebrow:

Fine the German Democratic Republic (a soviet Substate) built it apologies.
It was still built by a totalitarian regime to strengthen to deepen the divide between east and west Germany.

So basically your original point has dissolved away because your original point was targeting the winning powers for constructing the wall. Good to know.

Wave on, wave on

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 am

Rosethorn Autocracy wrote:For one, German reunification essentially saw an influx of cheap labour that was fleeing a failing state, willing to work for less, was well educated (or as well educated as is possible in an a totalitarian dictatorship) and actual spoke German as a first language.

You seem to forget that Eastern Germany was left destitute when the industrial base was shut down by the Treuhand following reunification, which Eastern Germany still hasn't recovered from today, as many of the former industrial cities are still depopulating because of the massive unemployment that arose as a result...

It was no agreement, it was what happened in the Easten Bloc in general - companies cut off from the public budget found out that decades of mismanagement royally fucked them in the ass in terms of marketability.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General