NATION

PASSWORD

Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God [IC|MT|Open]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Keilersmoor
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Keilersmoor » Sun May 05, 2019 8:23 am

Recipients
Region of Forest; Balagan; Posteastan, The Republic of Bohemoravia; etc.

REPUBLIC OF KEILERSMOOR

Bohemoravian Peace Plan

Esteemed friends and colleagues,

We have had very constructive talks with the 'Renegade' faction of the Posteastan conflict. They have agreed to the deployment of a peace-keeping force along the border and within the territory they control. Keilersmoor will provide the requested troops but we would prefer if Forest would support us logistically and militarily.

We explicitly ask the Kingdom of Kjalaara to grant us access to Posteastan and not to engage our transport planes. We will not participate in offensive operations but we will prevent the renegades from entering territory controlled by the military government. I hope that you will do the same and end all incursions into renegade territory.

To our allies in the Cat-Herders United we have to say that we are now deploying ground troops in the northern part of Posteastan. These troops are ready to assist you in your mission to keep the Telin river navigable. I would like to ask your support in case of attacks against our peace keepers we would like to call on you to help us with air strikes against the attackers.

Rutger Thorbecke
Foreign Minister

Office of State Security, Eberskopf, Keilersmoor

The mood was tense and serious. Keilersmoor already had enough on its plate and now the Landtag had come to the decision to get involved in a landwar in Posteastan without the backing of other Forest nations. This could turn out to be a brilliant opportunity for the Office. The secret service had its very own intentions in Posteastan. Their mission would not be negotiated on conferences or summits. The details would not even be passed on to the Landtag.

The first step was a phone call to the Free Kingdom of Allanea. The man on the phone introduced himself to his Allanean counterparts as Oberst Weber. His identity was quickly verified and he was able to communicate his orders to the Free Kingdom.

"Good day Sir, my name is colonel Weber. I'm with the Office of State Security of Keilersmoor. As we speak we are sending a first wave of peace keepers to Posteastan. We will accompany these men help them deal with security issues and such. This is not our only job in Posteastan, mind you. For what we are really going to do we need all the intel you are willing to share on the structure of the Syndicate in the Renegade controlled area and all your data of involvement of the Renegades in war crimes and the slave trade. Our main mission is to fight the Syndicate and to uncover and apprehend war criminals from the Renegade ranks. Our secondary objective is to engage in covered operations against the Renegade infrastructure. To sabotage their weapons and destroy their ability to move large contingents of troops around. We will operate from Bohemoravia and from within Posteastan. If you are willing to participate physically in the operations you are more than welcome."

Tamo, Posteastan (Renegade Controlled Territory)

Soldiers form Keilersmoor in Tamo

The first troops to arrive were those trained in policing urban and rural areas and with considerable experience in peace keeping operations. Their job was to deescalate and to go where they were wanted. The units did first set up camp in Tamo and then spread through the entire north with the exception of the southern border region and Vatgera. For the moment the soldiers of Keilersmoor would not actively engage enemy combatants but would try to restore law and order and to investigate the war crimes committed in the Renegade held territories.

The soldiers were supposed to establish contact with the Renegades and maintain this contact throughout their entire mission. They were not supposed to fight the Renegades but to protect the civilians and separate the conflicting parties around Deslav. The first units would scout the area and prepare bases for later use, others were supposed to be station next to Renegade units to protect them against airstrikes and to enter negotiations with them.

Schwarzenfels
Secretary

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwarzenfels » Sun May 05, 2019 10:45 am

LUFTWAFFE
SCHWARZENFELS

To: Keilersmoor, Bohemoravia and Forest

Your Excellences,

Personally I support the arrivals of peace keeping forces in Posteastan. I think that if the international community begins to take up its responsibilities this is the only way out of this mess. I am not convinced that blocking the border between the Renegades and Telinburg will bring great progress.

For a very long time I have tried to contact someone responsible in Great Nortend and ask them to put pressure on the Royalists to seize their military operations but so far I have been ignored. I think that is due to the total collapse of hierarchy and cohesion within the Royalist forces thanks to the actions of mister Giornada but I can't really tell.

As I can't get through to them I hope that you will help us to bring peace back to Posteastan. I ask you to close the border between the Renegade controlled territory and the area under control of the Royalists as well. We will support your peace enforcing operations with airstrikes against targets provided by you, both on the Royalist and on the Renegade side if need be. We want to see results as fast as humanly possible.

The conflict in Posteastan is dragging on for too long. We need to work all together to separate the different groups and help them establish a lasting peace through compromise. I hope that contrary to Great Nortend you are willing to accept my offer of cooperation.

As requested by Bohemoravia the troops of Schwarzenfels are on stand by and have ended all military operations in Posteastan. If you need our assistance, we are ready to strike but for the coming days we will only attack if we come under fire ourselves.

Sincerely

Heinrich von Schikra

Encryption: Public

Posteastan
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Posteastan » Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 am

Telin Province

Royalists ready to march to the front

Things were not good along the Telin. There was fighting in the north between the Royalists and the Nationalists. Two groups which should at best merge to one movement or at least should be allies. These battles were largely skirmishes and often reduced to a show of force. The Royalists often only displayed their firepower and negotiated a take-over of a Nationalist held position without a fight. If the Nationalists would later return with more firepower and more men the Royalists would simply hand over their position and leave. While this was the case on some occasions there was heavy fighting too. The supply lines were in disorder but the worst thing was that there were no clear orders and no command structure. Those who had hopes that the operatives from Great Nortend would step in and reorganize the resistance were soon disappointed. These men had more than enough to do to deal with the situation in Leozina. One by one the Royalists had to abandon the towns and villages of the north. The Nationalists, albeit slowly, were advancing and so were the Renegades. As the retreat was not planned at all it was badly executed. Some Royalists preferred surrender instead of returning south across the river, hoping that the Nationalists would treat them better than the men from Lux Pulchrea. Some decided that it was best for them to hide their weapons and disappear, to return when the situation in would cool down and would be less chaotic. The Kjalåran ultimatum and the following massive bombing of airfields and military installations came at a time that could hardly have been any worse.

Leozina

Royalists Propaganda

In the absence of his leader Rodin Dolgan took the liberty to run the day to day business of keeping the city afloat. He did not care for the orders from Lux Pulchrea and ordered his men to take down the bodies displayed after the purges and gave the men military funerals with full honors. The dead were no longer his concern. His job was to keep the living alive and to restore order. In his free time he formed a small squad of military police and began investigating the ultra-rightist structures in the Royalist faction. Those men who seemed to be capable of causing problems to the fighters from Lux Pulchrea were assigned to other units and either send north or towards Kolvce. Dolgan took great care to display a lot of propaganda that would show that the armies of Great Nortend, Posteastan and Lux Pulchrea were still fighting as one. He knew that things would be much more difficult in the future and he had seen the results of the Kjalåran bombing campaign first hand. Besides finding a way to strengthen the internal moral again the most important task for the Royalists was now to get the Kjalårans to stop bombing them and find a way off the Bohemoravian terror list. If that meant that the Royalist movement had to get rid of the rightwing extremists to stay relevant he would be prepared.

The Horsemen

The horsemen were quickly surrounded and held at gunpoint. They were thoroughly frisked and their weapons, phones and other suspicious equipment confiscated. Rasvan's men led them to a lightly armored off road vehicle where their boss was waiting for them. He was not looking too well. He had not had a good sleep in days and probably he neither had shaved or showered for the same time. Looking at the two agents he said.

"I have no idea how you have found me but now that you are here you might as well tell me what it is you want. I am in a hurry right now. Schwarzenfels has stopped its operations and that gives me the opportunity to I need. I hope that whatever you have to offer is worth my while."

Pijord
The speedboats buzzed across the vastness of the great river. At the terminal town, the river stretched a full half kilometer from bank to bank. Eight of them set off, buzzing like hornets. The mercenaries clutched rifles and chewed down on stimulant pills.

Artillery boomed from the defensive positions, and seconds later the shells hit the water, kicking up plumes of silt and spray. One of the eight boats blown to fiberglass matchsticks, another's engines swamped. It came to a halt and the snipers did their work. Within a few seconds, everyone in the stalled boat was dead.

The second wave of artillery came in hard, but the boats had already scattered, heading for the far shore. Artillery shells were in short supply and the probing assault scattered, so there was no third wave. The surviving attackers disembarked and headed into the treeline.

It was less than an hour later that the main assault began. It began, as many battles in this era do, with a dronestrike.

These drones were very far from the cutting edge sickle antipersonnel drones that Forestian armies used, but they followed roughly the same pattern. The handmade contraptions came in as a swarm. No AI or VI handler here, simply preprogrammed coordinates.

The trouble with defending a static position is that it gives your enemy freedom in terms of when and where to attack. Those defending the town and gas terminal from the droneswarm had to look directly into the sun to fire.

Some of the drones were shot down in sprays of automatic fire and blown apart plywood. Those that managed to survive released their payloads. Bathtub napalm and fragmentation bombs rained down onto the defenders. Fires began and lept from building to building.

Red and green flares shot up from the defense line. Another boat had been spotted heading upriver. Artillery boomed again at the new target.

The first shells obliterated the last of the pontoon barges, though the snipers could barely make sense of what they were watching unfold on the river. Three great coal barges, each carrying behind it two or more pontoon barges, all stacked with burning tyres and rubbish.

The stink of it carried with the wind to the town, it stung the eyes of the snipers and defenders and covered the river with a thick black smoke. The artillery boomed again and again, but the spotters on the towers could not pick targets easily. Many shells burst short.

Towards the east of the town came scattered, and then intense automatic fire. The purring rip of machinegun and crack of rifle filled the streets as the defenders - already shaken by the drones - attempted to repair firing lines and foxholes.

As the pontoon barges burned, a fresh mortar assault began. Like the first, these shells fell short of the gas terminal. Unlike the first attack these carried little explosives. Rather great plumes of greyish smoke poured up where they landed. Poison gas! Wherever the cloud went the defenders died or left their positions in panic. A second volley of mortar shells was launched and this time hit the defensive positions closer to the town center. More gas and more death was the result. The sun was now at its highest point.

Eastern Front

Propaganda sponsored by the Anti-Fascist Committees

The unexpected advance of the Telinburg forces hit the Royalists hard. While the National Guard was not particularly motivated the Kjalåran penal battalions were. And if that would not have been enough there were constant air strikes by the Kjalåran naval aviation against Royalist supply lines and reinforcements.

The offer of surrender was not taken too serious by most of the civilians, which might not be much of a surprise considering that the National Guard advanced side by side with the Kjalårans who had taken great pains to work on their notoriety of being modern day Vikings. From the Royalist perspective there were simply not enough men to fight on all fronts at the same time. Fighting the National Guard without air cover, without artillery and without a plan was hopeless.

For Dolgan the most important factor was to prevent the Watchmen form being surrounded. He ordered organized retreats and rallied the few remaining troops at strategic points, leaving much of the east open to the National Guard.

The National Guard did not try too hard to win over the hearts and minds of the defeated. Anti-Fascist Committees were set up in every village and town to form armed militias that could prevent the Royalists or worse, the People's Chamber from retaking the areas. Their main purpose however was to report those people who had good relations with the Royalists or the occupation forces. Those were arrested, court-martialed and executed. Their property was confiscated and re-distributed among the members of the Anti-Fascist Committees.

Despite the weak resistance the advance on Leozina was going slow. Refugees crowded the highways and the National Guard had no intention of unnecessarily moving too fast into enemy territory.

Roztechko

There was a great relive among the citizens to the IDS troops leave and watch the Kjalårans prepare for evacuation as more and more supplies came to the city and were distributed for free. With the massive presences of Kjalåran troops the Syndicate had a hard time trying to do something funny. Some suicide attacks occurred but caused little damage. The situation in the city was more stable than ever before. As the food prices went down people had more money to be spend on other stuff. The only problem was that this money was still worthless.

Tabolov

The discussions the People's Chamber were angry and passionate. The Patriotic Block had no intention of scaling down their war against the Royalists. It was an unwanted confrontation but now the Royalists were under pressure from all sides. A significant victory was within reach.

Tavitian's RDSU had a completely different view on these thigs. The delegates were furious with their colleagues and their war against the Royalists and their foreign backers. Both sides had suffered losses and the only ones profiting from this conflict were the National Guard and the Renegades who both made considerable territorial gains of the weakness of the Royalists.

The question was were to go from here. Attack the Royalists from the south and finish them off for good or supporting them against the advance of the National Guard?

DEMOCRATIC SOCIAL UNION OF POSTEASTAN
Official Statement of the The Democratic Social Union of Posteastan

To: Public
Subject: New Laws and Regulations
OFFICIAL TELEGRAM OF THE PEOPLE'S CHAMBER

People of Posteastan, Leaders of the World!

The internal fighting in Posteastan has amounted to a civil war, fueled by sinister foreign powers. This has to stop, our people are suffering and foreign profiteers are making good money from it. The delegates of the People's Chamber will gladly participate in talks with all sides and all nations that are willing to work towards peace in Posteastan. We support the deployment of peace keepers to the bandit controlled areas. This is a good first step, but we ask the international community for more!

All foreign occupation forces have to withdraw from Posteastan! The soldiers who only came here to rape, pillage and plunder are not welcome. Those nations interested in sending peace keepers to the territory controlled by the People's Chamber are free to contact us to negotiate the terms and conditions.

Furthermore it is my duty to inform the people of Posteastan that we will no longer use the Bozia as legal currency. With is proclamation the Syndicated Yen has replaced the Bozia as official currency. All wages and government contracts will from now on be paid in Syndicated Yen.

I ask all sides to cease all hostilities for 24 hours to give us time to prepare for a lasting peace. The Free Posteastan Army is on high alert. We ask the National Guard not to advance any further into Telin province.

Peace to all.

Remus Balan, PB
Minister of the Interior

The Republic of Bohemoravia
Envoy

Founded: Jan 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Bohemoravia » Tue May 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Sender

Recipient
Nations of Forest, Balagan, Kenmoria, Posteastan and Kjalaara

REPUBLIC OF BOHEMORAVIA

The removal of the IDS forces from Posteastan is reason for careful optimism. It would be a great next step if the Kjalaarans would follow the example of their comrades and depart victoriously back home. The deployment of peace keepers is reason for hope and the decision by Schwarzenfels to end its campaign for now is to be applauded.

We have received numerous warnings about the use of weapons of mass destruction in Posteastan. Apparently these warnings need to be taken more serious. There are reliable reports that poison gas has been used near Pijord in royalist controlled Posteastan.

The atrocities committed in Posteastan and the danger the weapons of mass destruction pose in the hands of terrorists have changed the magnitude of this conflict once again. We want access to Pijord and we want to investigate this incident instantly. We appeal to Alexei Feodorovich II to follow through with his promise and instantly begin to disarm the royalist terrorists.

We are in contact with our allies and we are negotiating future steps to secure and stabilize Posteastan. Even though there is a lot of progress at the moment the use of poison gas might make military intervention necessary.

Ivo Vlach
Prime Minister

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sat May 11, 2019 5:20 am

From: Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky, Plenipotentiary Appointee for the Posteastan Crisis
To: Ellen Iversen, Koskat Minister of Foreign Affairs
Re: The ongoing situation

Your Excellency!

To reduce the difficulties with the presence of foreign troops in Koskat, something which I understand your nation reasonably has doubts about, I’ve discussed the issue with some colleagues here in Liberty-City and we’ve decided to have the operation manned partly by private contractors (which will be unarmed, and which will be dressed in work clothing that has a distinct non-military appearance, specifically blue work uniforms for non-medical staff and green medical coats for medical staff) and employees of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for diplomatic functions, which will be armed with a dagger each for ceremonial purposes.

The refugee camps will be located at a location chosen by your own personnel, to answer the following criteria:

1) Located in a safe location within Koskat territory, yet reasonably physically accessible to refugees.
2) Equipped with a runway, or a flat field that can be easily repurposed to use as a runway, or alternately with at least bus or rail access to a nearby airport capable of receiving civilian passenger aircraft.
3) Protected and monitored by Koskat troops. Because of the risk inherently posed by Fascist operations, and because our representatives will be unarmed, it is your responsibility to provide security for this operation.

The goals of the operation are:

1) To provide immediate, urgent assistance to any Posteastani refugees (food and medical care).
2) To provide temporary housing to refugees (in HVAC-equipped tents or similar).
3) To organize the safe evacuation of refugees to those nations willing to receive them, by air.

I hope that we can cooperate on these important issues.

Yours,
Peter Nizhinsky
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Koskat
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Koskat » Mon May 13, 2019 1:16 pm

The Republic of Koskat

Invitation

Dear Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky,

You speak words of great wisdom. Blades of any length are perfectly legal in Koskat to be carried by civilians therefore we have no objection regarding them. The border city of Rorbon is very close to Kolvce. There is a military air base that has not been used for several years but it might suite your purpose. The old name of the base was Woodgreen Air Base but you are free to rename it. For now I don't want to have a refugee camp inside Koskat guarded at all. If the population rises to a point of more than a thousand people we might need to find a way to police, the camp and its inhabitants but other than that the camp shall not even have a fence. If we shelter refugees, they shall be treated as guests not as hostages.

If you advise it we will check refugees for weapons and other contraband but other than that we will do nothing. They shall have papers and they shall receive the aid you and your friends can provide. I think we will be able to work on all the points you have listed. I would suggest that the nations willing to accept the refugees provide some schooling material in the local language to enable the Posteastani citizens to lean about the host culture and language.

If you can spare the men, I would like to request a small group of military advisors to assist our self-defense forces in securing the border. There have been numerous smaller incidents in rural areas and we are no longer willing to tolerate those.

Ellen Iversen

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu May 16, 2019 9:16 am

From: Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky, Plenipotentiary Appointee for the Posteastan Crisis
Re: The ongoing situation

These terms are all entirely agreeable and we will get to work as soon as we can. Regarding your border situation, I propose that we send a small group of military specialists who will study the situation on the ground. The issues that require a clear understand are as follows:

1. An overview of the geographical situation (what kind of soils are there? What is the lay of the land?) where the defense system is to be built.
2. An overview of the security situation (i.e. the type and scope of attacks that occur).
3. The available resources.

Ideally, the group will constitute a military combat engineering specialist, an economist, a geologist, and a counterterrorist expert, and they will overview the situation based on what's available on the ground. They will also have auxiliarty personnel such as a photographer, a secretary, a pair of drivers, and so forth. It would be ideal if a small hotel could be rented as close to the border as possible to serve as a temporary seat of their operations

It would also be ideal to see if any local contractors (construction firms, farmers, etc.) exist from your government could procure tools such as tractors, bulldozers, and so forth on a short notice). The Free Kingdom may be willing to part with some items such as trucks, military bulldozers, and other similar kit from its military stockpiles to assist, but it would be easier for all involved if you used your own resources as much as possible.

Yours,
Peter Nizhinsky
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Koskat
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Koskat » Sun May 26, 2019 3:33 am

The Koskat - Posteastan border.

The Koskat border is difficult terrain. There are hills, mountains and scrubs and dense coniferous forests. The whole area is not very populated outside the towns of Dornsill and Rorbon. There are few paved roads because of the difficulty to maintain such roads in the bad terrain and weather of Koskat. Several smaller rivers from the mountains end in the Telin. During the high water period terrain next to the rivers is almost inaccessible with motor vehicles. The only structures to help with the border security are a few checkpoints at the border crossings between Koskat and Posteastan. However there was a time when this was completely different. The border area is riddled with the ruins of castles and watchtowers build during the medieval period. Some of these are still intact and now work as tourist attractions. Koskat is by no means a pacifist nation. However, the job of the military is mostly to deal with natural disasters. Crime and lawlessness are comparatively low in Koskat as its wealth is relatively evenly distributed. The economic center is Argenlon with almost half a million inhabitants.

The Republic of Koskat

Emergency

Dear Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky,

I am very pleased with your decision and I will try to answer your questions as detailed as possible.

1. It is hilly and occasionally mountainous terrain, densely covered with wood and scrubs, partitioned by small rivers and streams. There is a lot of loose soil.
2. The situation has become worse, there are occasional raids into Koskat, mostly from Orikson and Kolvce province. These are no longer isolated and perhaps accidental incidents but organized operations. In my opinion the Black Brigades are using Koskat as an area of save transfer of troops to attack the Kolvce region from the west and the south. Several kidnappings of our citizens have been reported and there is a tendency to destroy border settlements to increase the ability of undetected movement for the Black Brigades.
3. There are not too many resources available. We have two helicopters equipped with thermal viewing devices and a few hundred soldiers. We could conscript park rangers and foresters to assist in securing the border. Financial resources are available on a high scale.

There are many lodges and what we call summer huts available along the border. There is a hotel in one of our medieval castles that we could 'commandeer' for the time of the operation to serve as headquarters. Your operatives are all welcome. If you like to you can bring your own helicopter and pilots.

Ellen Iversen

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Sun May 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Your Border

Greetings,

I am Colonel Ivan Vasilievich Komarov. I am a professor at the Armed Forces Institute of Liberty-City. I teach Combat Engineering and Special Demolitions, as well as sometimes act as a consultant for other branches of the armed forces. Typically, I give lectures for officers and senior staff of the Free Kingdom Armed Forces – commanders, generals, special forces operators, and so forth. So in the following letter I shall attempt to digest the solutions that Free Kingdom had previously assisted in having other allied nations implement (most famously, in the construction of the Marpath Line).

To be clear, your situation is an urgent one. In effect, your country is being invaded by fascist aggressors, and your citizens are being physically abducted from their homes. However, the Free Kingdom's experience in constructing the Marpath Line, and our general theoretically knowledge can form the basis of a solution. Let me try and boil down some of the issues:

1) The physical aspect the problem means that, even though from an ethical perspective, your nation is currently the victim of an invasion (to remove all doubt, my nation absolutely recognizes that your nation is the victim of a military aggression by fascists, and your nation is absolutely entitled to defend itself), but the sort of defenses typically used to defend against full-scale wars are not very useful in your case.

While I, again, absolutely accept that your citizens are victims of war, it's necessary for us to consider, in resolving the problem, some of the same physical means that are being used by law enforcement to protect against terrorism.

As such, the most important aspects are the building of fences and obstacles, across those areas which are the most often used by your enemies. The easiest anti-terrorist obstacles can easily be built, perhaps within literally hours, using some trucks and a bunch of razorwire, or your local construction contractor. To be clear, none of those will themselves reduce the problem to zero, but they shall, hopefully, make the terrorists' lives harder in the sense of moving their routes to places where they're less problematic for you, or where they are the most vulnerable.

As an example, a team of men with a grader bulldozer or an excavator can construct, fairly rapidly, an anti-tank obstacle (the name 'anti-tank ditch' is the term of art – in reality, what is meant is a ditch that's been designed to be impossible to drive across on most cars or military vehicles). A series of I-beams or even logs driven into the ground at an angle can prove a sturdy obstacle to all but the sturdiest. Obviously walls and razorwire fences can be put up literally within hours with the presence of razorwire (which your nation should already have plenty at any farmhouse) or ready-made bastions (which we can provide).

Landmines can also be planted, provided provisions are made to prevent refugees or locals from entering the minefields (a fenced-in minefield with clear safety signage plays its role of deterring passage perfectly, but is reasonably safe), or alternately less-lethal weaponry can be used like compressed-air landmines or tear-gas mines.

2) The equipment aspect must be paid attention to. The most important aspects are electronic communications equipment, and particularly surveillance gear. Cheap border patrol surveillance gear can be literally refashioned from electronic waste (even a cheap feature phone these days will often have in it a camera, microphone, etc., and a vibration sensor can be made by a small child with some springs and metal scrap). Cheap drones can be had easily.

Further, the Free Kingdom is willing to part with a handful of helicopters, some trucks, and other such needful things.

3) The weak link, however, is institutional responses. A country that's regularly attacked by terrorists cannot function as if it were at peace. It's clear that you need to reinforce police resources in the border zone, not only at the border itself (that much is obvious), but also in those towns at risk. The citizens themselves must prepare for better disaster response even if your country is opposed to arming the citizens on principle, you should at least organize them for emergency responses, and particularly at risk zones such as chemical plants, schools, shopping malls, etc. – although it goes without saying that Allanea believes in the armed citizen as the last line of defense against terrorism and fascism.

Simultaneously, your country must figure out ways to strike back against the fascists in ways that will not force you into an expanded conflict. This is the most difficult aspect, and would be difficult to carry out even if you did possess the full range of national defense options, which to be honest you don't But it is necessary.

Yours,

Colonel Ivan Vasilievich Komarov,
Professor of Combat Engineering and Special Demolitions
Armed Forces Institute of Liberty City

Last edited by Allanea on Sun May 26, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Mon May 27, 2019 6:07 am

FROM Adeema Pula, First Speaker, the Revolutionary Workers Council with Responsibility for Foreign Affairs, Uan aa Boa
TO Ellen Iversen, Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Republic of Kostat
ENCRYPTION LEVEL Considerable

The second best time to plant a tree is today

Comrade Iversen,

Greetings in solidarity. Let me say at the outset that I have great admiration for the Republic of Kostat and its long-standing commitment to the environment, to equality and to the rights of the worker. I regret not having previously found an occasion to make your acquaintance.

I suspect I will not be the first foreign diplomat to contact you because of your nation's proximity to Posteastan. I am seeking passage through your territory in order to allow me and a small escort to be able to enter the region of Kolvce. My intention is to make contact with representatives of the Kolvce Free State and to assess whether there is anything my government can do to help bring peace to that troubled region.

Be assured that this is a one off request. If a further role for Boani personnel is agreed they will in future travel directly into Kolvce by air. We are seeking to approach overland for our first contact as a mark of good faith and respect for foreign territory. Be assured also that we will do nothing to threaten Kostat's long established position of neutrality. If you have followed the Posteastani crisis you will no doubt be aware that Uan aa Boa has throughout acted as a force for restraint and moderation and a voice for the victims of the conflict. My awareness of the delicacy of the situation is the reason I intend to make this journey in person rather than delegate it to my subordinates. You can trust us.

If there is any reasonable service my government can render to yours in order to help you look more favourably upon this request then I would be more than happy to discuss it. As a gesture of good faith, the files attached to this message contain software developed in Uan aa Boa to repel or neutralise a number of viruses and cyber-warfare techniques that are currently in use by the United Federation's security forces and by several unscrupulous international corporations/terrorist groups. You are welcome to use these as seems best to you. A sizeable order for Koskatian biomedical products for use in Boani hospitals and universities has also been placed today.

I await your reply with eagerness.

Fascism is a failure of imagination.
Unity! Discipline! Progress!
Last edited by Uan aa Boa on Mon May 27, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 am

To: Ellen Iversen, Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Republic of Kostat
From: International Affairs and Diplomacy - humanitarian aid subdivision.
Encryption: Mild

In accordance with international treaties both our nations are signatories to, Caracasus is willing to extend material and expertise to support the emerging refugee crisis at your borders. At present, as per requests submitted by Kostat's foreign office, material support will consist of the loan of six Jaal-class heavy lift Kavverits and pilots (demilitarized) to assist with transportation of supplies and people within Kostat's borders.

In addition, Industry and Trade will forgo payment of up to 4 Million TEF on essential medicines currently ordered by Kostat National Health from Caracasusian biomedical communes. Please see attached appendix ii for a full list of applicable medicines and supplies. This will stand for six (6) months or until the given allocation budget runs out - when Industry and Trade will review the decision.

If there is anything further we can assist with, please do contact us.

To: Military Command, the Republic of Kostat
From: International Affairs and Diplomacy - humanitarian aid subdivision.
Encryption: High

While the Council Elect has ruled out direct military intervention in Posteastan, we cannot allow our friends in Kostat to suffer unprovoked attacks from fascist units operating within Posteastan. With that in mind, Nineday House extends the following offer:

-Deployment of Caracasusian soldiers, military advisors and equipment to Kostat to reinforce the Posteastan border.
-Retrofitting and replacement of Kostat's existing squadrons of Caracasusian PD-25 fighter jets.
-Deployment of MD Sickle Drone platforms to the border.
-Access to military TUSK satellite systems.

We also invite the Kostat command to Nineday House so that joint operations to secure Kostat against fascist aggression can be worked out.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Koskat
Political Columnist

Ex-Nation

Postby Koskat » Tue May 28, 2019 7:01 am

The Republic of Koskat

Emergency

Dear Comrade Pula,

In light of pressing concerns regarding the disputed territory of Kolvce, we have no objection to you utilizing Kostat airspace to visit Kolvce in this instance. Please note this is not to be considered permission to use Kostat airspace or territory as a base for military operations within Kolvce.
We have reviewed all pertinent information on Kolvce and Posteastan and it is with regret that we have decided that there simply is no legitimate government of Posteastan that could be in a position to allow or disallow your operation.
Furthermore, as the last Posteastan ambassador to Kostat absconded with several million Syndicated Yen and was last seen with her family heading for Watersville, there no longer exits any formal diplomatic link to any of the factions currently claiming De Jure control over Posteastan.
We have not recognized Kolve as an independent state and have no relations with that entity at the moment. To my knowledge Kolvce has not yet officially announced its independence.

I would like to use this opportunity to personally thank you and the Boani people for all you did to help the people of Posteastan and the entire region. If there is one thing I would like to request from you it is that you keep on with what you have done before. Convince others not to send invading armies without a proper plan of what they actually want to achieve and continue to work on face saving ways to convince nations like Schwarzenfels, Kjalaara and Lux Pulchrae to remove their soldiers from Posteastan once and for all. The precence of thousands of foreign soldiers with no clear objectives right next to us is the biggest threat to our neutrality.

There have been rumors of the use of poison gas by or against the Royalists near the river Telin. If you manage to acquire additional information we would be very interesting to learn about your findings.

Ellen Iversen

Meanwhile in Parliament…

The building was laid out as a rough not quite complete semicircle, the idea being that unlike other parliamentary buildings where representatives had to pick one side or another and sat in geographical as well as political opposition to other parties, representatives would instead have to sit nearby others who did not share their allegiances or politics.

It didn't work of course. Parties still clustered together on the benches. To make matters worse, the architect had gotten carried away somewhat and had spent more time designing an admittedly grand exterior to the building and less time considering the function it would serve. The parliamentary chambers were marked not only by the benches but also by great steel pillars needed to support the ridiculously over the top and abstract roof. It was not unusual for unpopular or rebellious representatives to be exiled to a particularly inconvenient seat behind one of the great pillars.

At present, the ruling coalition, comprised of the small but vocal Socialist Worker's Alliance, the emerging Green Kostat and the broader democratic socialist Kostat Labour Party were busy tearing each other apart over the border crisis.

Kostat's highest ranking (and technically since the Kostat Strait Treaty of 1995 only) general watched in growing despair. He'd been called in in a purely advisory capacity and was uncomfortably aware of the sheer chaos that the various departments he was responsible for were undergoing.

A speaker from the Kostat Labour Party had just spent a good ten minutes detailing plans to construct a network of emergency fencing across the Posteastan border, replete with watchtowers, checkpoints and early warning systems. The general privately wondered whether anyone had been paying any attention to his increasingly urgent missives regarding the lack of readiness of the soldiers under his command.

A member of Green Kostat stood up, surrounded by his fellow representatives.

“I'd like to remind the house that even if we were somehow able to allocate the appropriate funds to this, uh, venture – Green Kostat can simply not back a proposal that would create miles upon miles of fencing. Our surveys indicate that thanks to our ongoing commitment for environmental preservation, the Kostat speckled wildcat has gone from near extinction to almost at pre industrial population levels in some areas. Many of those areas would be cut in half by the proposed fencing. And that's just the speckled wildcat. The banded coot, three clawed lizard and acerbic tree-snail all have habitats that would be irreparably damaged by the construction of this fencing. Under the Wildlife Preservation Act amendments passed in '89, 97 and 08 deliberately obstructing migratory pathways of endangered or at risk species or unduly infringing on habitats designated sites of specific natural interest is illegal.”

The general zoned out of the ongoing debate a little. In a way, he was rather glad that the fence plan had been shot down so early. He was simply not sure that the logistical nightmare of installing the damn thing would be possible. He'd also been paying rather close attention when the Balagani revolution happened. Fences tended to cost an awful lot of money, and were rather easy to bypass for the modest cost of a pair of bolt cutters.

“The answer is simple then, martial law on the border.” The general looked up at that. The woman was a member of the leading Kostat Labour Party and, if the general remembered correctly, representative for a district about as far away from the border as you could get. He tapped his microphone and coughed.

“If you want to bring in martial law, you'll have to find a replacement for me. Martial law would be enforced by soldiers. Know what soldiers are ultimately trained to do? We're trained to kill enemy combatants. When you bring in martial law, anyone breaking that law is effectively an enemy. Do I have to draw you a picture to show you why that's a bad idea?”

That, surprisingly, got a not insignificant round of agreement. Even from the minister of defense – a woman he'd had more than a few robust discussions with over the last few years.

A minor disagreement led to further bickering among the assembled representatives. Labour party representatives, while not quite openly stating it, voiced their displeasure that there was no real way to bring in something like martial law given the situation in Posteastan. Both greens and socialist worker party representatives took the time to point out which party was in charge during the last Posteastan crisis and which party probably should have foreseen the second crisis and bought in some sort of contingency plan.

Another speaker. Socialist Worker's party representative whose ministerial portfolio included solutions for the growing refugee crisis.

“At present, we've not got the infrastructure needed to deal with further influxes of refugees. We have two temporary facilities at hotspots along the border, however the housing is largely comprised of re-purposed shipping containers. This isn't a permanent solution, but it is rapidly becoming one. Now the first great influx we counted six thousand refugees, a full three hundred percent more than expected. Most of them have applied for asylum and have thankfully been moved out to other cities and towns. The problem is we're getting refugees arriving faster than we can process them – I have a family of six who have been waiting nearly four months in temporary accommodation. Among them there's a grandfather who requires medical attention we are struggling to provide and four children who should be attending schools. We have expanded both facilities by approximately eighty per cent since their first construction. We need more doctors and nurses, teachers, social workers with mental health training, administrative staff and more police officers.”

This statement at least was met with a minimal amount of bickering before the representatives moved on to yet another contentious area. As the general zoned out, they were discussing plans to co-opt forestry and fire fighting personnel to help patrol the border zone.

The Republic of Koskat

Emergency

-International Affairs and Diplomacy - humanitarian aid subdivision.-

I am glad that you are willing to support us morally and materially. While the equipment and material is urgently needed It would probably a violation of our neutrality to place too many foreign soldiers along our border. While we support the Bohemoravian peace plan we will not participate in any actions of any kind against those sides that pose no threat to us. We have no say in the future of Posteastan, the future of our neighbor has to be determinated by the people of Posteastan, hopefully through legal and democratic means.

We are currently in contact with Colonel Ivan Vasilievich Komarov of Allanea who is supervising our border security. We are currently trying to implement all the changes he had suggested and we will instantly get back to you once we have come to decisions. We hope that the crisis will soon be over.

Ellen Iversen

Kjalaara
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kjalaara » Tue May 28, 2019 9:37 am

Kjalåran armored units leaving Postestan

For Kjalåra the conflict had come to a conclusion. The imminent danger to the rightful government was over and the Syndicate had been reduced to shadow of its former self. It was time to go home. The departure was well prepared and went smoothly.

The only troops left behind were those completing the construction of the new international airport in Telinburg, military advisors and the penal battalion. To help the national guard defending their proud nation artillery, vehicles and weapons were distributed to the loyalist forces. The men assigned to help the remaining Jomsvikingar were also ordered to stay behind and continue to disrupt the enemy's rear.

Thousands of soldiers were slowly and orderly withdrawn and the high command took great care not to let the country slip back into the chaos they found it in when the Kjalårans first arrived. They green zones were now manned and guarded by the government's forces. With the Syndicate gone the refugee exfiltration points were demilitarized and left unguarded.

The future of Posteastan would be decided on conference tables and through negotiations. Wasting more Kjalåran lives would most likely not bring a significant tactical or strategical advantage. The situation outside the government controlled areas was just too chaotic. To secure the wellbeing of the government Kjalåra would continue to send various supplies. Mostly by air using the newly build airports and airfields.
List of nations currently considered enemies.

Envoy

Founded: Jan 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Bohemoravia » Wed May 29, 2019 3:45 am

Bohemoravian anti-air units ready to enforce the no-fly-zone along the border.

The latest decision by the Bohemoravian parliament put its armed forces on the highest level of alert. The air force was send to patrol the Posteastanian skys on a regular basis and use all means at its disposal to prevent non-declared planes from entering or leaving Posteastan unsearched.

The aerial operation was clearly aimed against the terrorist groups operating in the west of Posteastan. Meanwhile ground troops were readied to be deployed as peace keeping forces and investigate the incident at Pijord, if necessary without permission of any group within Posteastan.

Sender

Recipient
Public

REPUBLIC OF BOHEMORAVIA

NO FLY ZONE OVER POSTEASTAN

While the departure of the Kjalåran peace keepers is reason for optimism the open air space above Posteastan is not. Bohemoravia has decided to unilaterally declare a no-fly zone over all provinces of Posteastan. All fights above Posteastan now have to be declared 24 hours in advance. Failing to do so will result in the grounding of the perpetrators. Bohemoravia reserves the right to reroute all flights, search them and seize any contraband and arrest suspected terrorists.

The Republic is well aware that this step is a violation of the national souveregnity of Posteastan. However, we have carefully weighted all available information and have come to the decision that allowing reenforcements of terrorist organisations to take place and to ignore the use of chemical weapons would be worse.

Pilots and ground crews are under order to issue warnings and use minimum force to secure the no-fly-zone. Aircrafts violating the Posteastan airspace will only be shot down as an ultima ratio.

The following nations are not affected by our measures. Their operations shall go unhindered:

Cat-Herders United
Kjalåra
Keilersmoor
Allanea

We invite our friends in Caracasus, Uan Aa Boa, Keilersmoor, Allanea, Balagan and the Cat-Herders United to help us maintaining the no-fly-zone. We need to keep the entire nation under constant surveillance to prevent the terrorists form regaining momentum. The more nations participate the higher are our chances of success.

Ivo Vlach
Prime Minister

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Wed May 29, 2019 9:52 am

Yohan – Trad Square – Capital of Koskat

The square was not actually a square, something that had annoyed generations of city planners and mayors. The cross-cut of Thon St, constructed some time after the square had been named, turned it into an irregular polygon.

It was still beautiful. Arbours created a seemingly natural thoroughfare across three of the square's sides, sheltering those in the square from the occasional noise of one of the city's trams or motorcycle courier.

It was a rather beautiful place to meet with Elleen Iversen, the nation's foreign minister. His first impression was how young she seemed, though to Yohan anyone under the age of sixty fit that category. She wore the responsibilities of office well enough, only nicotine stained fingers and lines across the corners of her eyes showed the weight she'd shouldered these past three years.

Yohan had woken up struggling to breathe again. The emphesemia was getting worse, he knew it and so did the doctors. Even with miracles of modern medicine, he was painfully aware that he did not have long. There was only so much that the carbon monofilamer exchange nets could do. Eventually the body simply succumbed to the ravages of time.

He'd rested gently against the back of the chair, it was growing harder to find positions that did not trigger his long litany of joint complaints. He'd drastically cut back his painkillers in an attempt to strike a balance between being in too much pain to focus and being simply too drugged up to focus.

“Ms Iversen. Pleased to meet you.”

She nodded. “Likewise. I hope you find our city to your liking? It is a shame that you did not come in autumn. The view of the hills is incredible.”

Yohan smiled. “If I make it to autumn I will be sure to visit. Your wife and child are well, I trust?”

Small talk continued as they waited for coffee. She took a sip and sat back.

“So why are you here? As if I didn't know. Posteastan right?”

“That's about it, yes. Your government is doing admirably considering the civil war on your border. We will, of course, continue to support immediate efforts, as will all other peoples possessing a conscience. Still, it's not today I am here to talk about but tomorrow and the days after.”

“The party has... uh, given that considerable thought already.”

“No doubt. Any more than thought?”

She grimaced.

“The usual bickering.”

Yohan grinned. “That sounds about right. The thing is, Koskat is going to have to take action. It is increasingly likely that at the very least there will be two states in Posteastan where there was once one. The Kolvce separatists are more or less in charge of Vatgera and I'd be surprised if they don't make a bid for independence by the end of the week. The renegades don't have the manpower or support to force the royalists to submit to central rule, so there's another potential breakaway state. I'm very sorry but Koskat is going to have at the very least two neighbours who absolutely detest each other once the missiles stop flying.”

“That... is remarkably close to my department's assessment.”

“If the people of Posteastan have a chance at a future without war and suffering, they will need Koskat and Bohemoravia to support them. Your nation has not fired one shot in this conflict. Should Koskat suggest holding peace talks, Caracasus will support that request.”

“And the future states?”

Yohan shrugged.

“Look at South Cardulan and Ohiton. I was there when the country burned to ash and now? There is a way through this, but it will require careful planning. Remaining neutral is never the same as turning your back on a crisis. Refusing to assist is a decision in itself, namely deciding that the current situation is in some way worth preserving.”

They talked for longer, one cup of coffee became two, shortly followed by a third. By the time Yohan left, leaning on his stick as he walked, he was wondering if he'd live long enough to hear Prime Minister Iversen's acceptance speech.

To: Ivo Vlach Prime Minister of The Republic of Bohemoravia
Encryption: None

While we support the decision to enforce a no-fly zone in the area formally known as Posteastan, we regret to announce that there are currently no Caracasusian military assets in the area that would be in a position to support this endevour.

Should the situation deteriorate further, a squadron of PD-52 interceptors can be made available, however we would require the use of Bohemoravian air bases for refueling and maintenance.

Vatgera - Kolvce province

Only five days ago the volunteer Caracasusian brigade had aided the Kolvce forces and the Red Sky Faction in repelling a fascist counter attack.

Tomas had seen battle before, though under very different circumstances. Here in Kolvce he had no Elephant Hide battlesuit to handily display targets painted by satellite uplink. There were no squadrons of sickle drones his unit could call on to flush out enemy snipers, and no Kavverits laden with medical supplies ready to pull him far out of danger's way. Instead he had a radio, a rifle that had seen better days, two grenades of different makes and generations and an entrenching tool.

He'd left the entrenching tool embedded in the skull of a fascist soldier. It'd earned him the nickname skullfucker.

Behind him the gathered banners of the various foreign and local fighters that had held Vatgera from fascist assault fluttered in the breeze. Camouflage and uniformed soldiers gathered about him in a show of solidarity. There would be no podium here, nothing save his comrades and the person holding the camera.

He looked directly into the lens. The Kolvce separatists had chosen damn well in all honesty. A Caracasusian volunteer - from a country with close links to Keilersmoor. He looked the part too, slightly unkempt hair, dark black eyes and stubble that leaned ever so slightly on the right side of unkempt. It was a face you could put on a damn T-shirt and sell to impressionable kids at Saturday markets.

"People of Keilersmoor. I am a stranger here in Kolvce, but when the call came to fight fascist aggression I answered gladly. When I saw the horrors that the men and women of Kolvce have had to fight, I found myself more determined than ever to destroy the threat fascism poses to anyone with a shred of shared humanity.

There are no words that I can say that will get across the sheer, malignant evil of fascism, so instead I would ask you, the people of Keilersmoor, to look to your own history and your own struggle. Your soldiers fight bravely in Kolvce, and for that we are all grateful. However I must ask you to do more, to strike harder and to drive back the fascist menace.

Our victory over the fascists in Vatgera was hard won, and must be defended at all costs. If you want to help consign the evil of fascism to the dustbin of history then please, petition your representatives, take to the streets if you have to and demand that your government gives your soldiers the support they need to patrol and protect Kolvce independence from fascism, both in Vatgera and across the province."
Last edited by Caracasus on Wed May 29, 2019 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Wed May 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Koskat/Kolvce border
3 military helicopters were carried by transporter plane to an airfield in eastern Koskat. They were quickly unloaded and airborne. The craft and the 24 soldiers they carried make up a unit known as a Kuntu Tatenga which roughly translated as Spear of the Silent Ones, a reference to vengeful forest spirits that was one of the ways the Party drew on a secularised version of older folklore. Its normal function was to patrol the jungles of the Uan basin and the surrounding areas of south west Forest for illegal poaching, logging or mineral prospecting. Stealth equipped, the choppers flew just above the tree canopy and aimed to use surveillance and jamming technology to compensate for what they lacked in fire power. In familiar forests the guerilla-style fighters they carried were able to survive indefinitely living off the land. That wouldn't work among the conifers of Kolvce, but they were still skilled at operating in woodlands.

They set down in a clearing close to the border to reconnoitre the kind of terrain. The pines were unlike the great firewheel trees of their homeland, the forest near silent except for the wind in the branches. Laying her hand against a trunk, however, Adeema felt the same sense of ancient patience. She left the soldiers to their business. She preferred to be symbolically unarmed, though if pushed she could probably handle and fire a rifle. Her military service and civil defence training had been a long time ago.

After the revolution had come chaos. Historians now said the daily ration had averaged 1500 calories. The remnants of the shattered economy were entirely propped up by aid from Caracasus, Cedoria and Zulanka. There were riots in the slums on a weekly basis and gunfire rang out across the city. On her 16th birthday she had presented herself at the recruiting office. The soldier had laughed at her tiny stature and told her the papers must be forged. She sat silently, cross-legged on the floor and when he took hold of her to drag her out she began to scream until an officer appeared to investigate. The officer looked her up and down. A veteran of the civil war, he had seen swaggering men reduced to tears and the unlikeliest of volunteers step forward to do what was needed. At length he said "Come in, Little Flower, and we shall see what you are made of." To the protesting soldier he snapped "Here is one who will not question orders, one who knows what she is running from. We will show her what she is able to run towards."

The encampment was in disarray. Too much was being attempted too soon. But her potential was spotted and she was sent to the Daughters of the Revolution, a programme of intensive education intended to allow unschooled young women to enter skilled professions or the administration. Outside the gates of the college compound her fellow recruits fought to bring order to the streets. Slowly people began to appreciate that while the ration was small it could be relied on to arrive tomorrow and, more importantly, the same ration was being received by the people who had, until recently, been their employers and landlords, or the market sellers who always had a thumb on the scales. Inside the gates the young women each day ran 5 miles and studied 14 hours. Alive to the place they were being offered in the new order, intense bonds were formed. Adeema remembered that time as a whirl of language and mathematics, hunger and the sharper pangs of unreciprocated love.

The approach of the Kuntu Tatenga captain roused her from her memories. "Comrade First Speaker, with all respect due to your office, we should understand each other. We may inadvertently land in fascist held territory, or else find the fighters of the Free State to be hostile to people of our colour. In diplomatic matters you are in charge, but in case of combat the command is mine. I ask for your assurance that if I give the order to pull out you will cooperate without question."

"Of course, Captain Benba. You have my word. I have no wish to endanger the men and women of your unit."

The plan was to fly across the border close to the site of the earlier border skirmish. This was risky but it would put them in territory where Free State forces had recently been sighted. Adeema didn't know how to contact the Free State leadership and she didn't particularly want to. She couldn't assume they would be as transparent as Tavitian if their motives were untrustworthy. She'd make contact from the bottom up, and if the civilians and fighters they found seemed promising they could put them in touch with decision makers. The helicopters carried gifts of medical supplies, ration packs and (against her better judgement) cigarettes.

The other risk was the Bohemoravian no fly zone. Whether it was being enforced or monitored in Kolvce was unknown. Unless surveillance was comprehensive the stealth helicopters were unlikely to be detected on a short hop across the border but there were no guarantees, especially as they would probably need to move again inside Kolvce. The zone annoyed Adeema. She was irked by Uan aa Boa's exclusion from the list of exempted nations when some of the nations on that list had been responsible for exactly the kind of actions the zone was supposed to prevent, and her instinct told her this unilateral threat made Bohemoravia essentially no better than Kjalaara, compounding their willingness to sit at a negotiating table with fascists and murderers. On balance, however, it didn't seem helpful to start an argument with a nation that shared many of the same objectives. She would simply ignore it.

They might or might not be spotted by the Allanean forces busy defacing the forest with what was, presumably, an anti-tank trench. If they were then the Allaneans would simply have to be left to wonder. They hadn't seemed to have the weaponry to shoot them down if they were seized by the murderous rage their people appeared subject to.

The soldiers were returning from the trees to where her aide and translator were waiting by the helicopters. It was time.
Last edited by Uan aa Boa on Wed May 29, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm

Liberty Networks Headquarters, Liberty-City

"So let me get it straight," – George McTavern, the Chief Operating Officer, said as he looked out into the room. "You view Posteastan as a growth market? As I understand, Posteastan is essentially a smoldering garbage fire, which sometimes erupts into a flaming garbage fire. And beyond that, the rulers of that country are on the Known Slaver Entities list. Even if I ignored any other implications, I cannot ignore federal fucking prison."

"Woah, woah there," – said Sandra Temeraire. She did not seem to care that she was in a corporate meeting. Her feet had already been thrown up on the polished surface of the mahogany desk. "The fact it's a smoldering fire is exactly the fact we will take an advantage of, because unless you've failed to notice this, the slaver company – what is it's name, again? Construction Enterprise, I think? – just fucked off and left the Posteastanis hanging, which I'm not surprised about. So we can go in, and we unwrap our networks, and we will be at the core of the country's new infrastructure, and we'll have a leg up. As the Chief Marketing Officer, I'm going to tell you that's going to be like printing money for many many years, and even when there's meaningful competition we'll still have a respectable position. Posteastan is going to unfuck itself eventually, and when it does, we'll be up to our armpits in money. Assuming we don't shit away the opportunity."

The CTO – a young-looking man by the name of Lawrence Avenhill – threw back his hair. It was bewildering hair even for an Allanean, dyed in multiple stands of dazzling color. "I'm here with Sandra. Our technology is simpler than the slaver guys' tech to deploy, and it is going to be making us dokhuya money."

"Yes, yes, I get that." – said McTavern. "You seem to be forgetting a key point. Which is, of course, the slavery."

"It's simple" – said Sandra, "We abolish the slavery."

From: Sandra Temeraire, Chief Marketing Officer, Liberty Networks
To: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Posteastan

Ladies and gentlemen!

I see that you have been running into some problems, what with choosing to cooperate with a company with a highly dubious ethics and human rights record, and being now considered slavers.

I propose the following:

Liberty Networks is in possession of 5G phone technology, allowing a high-speed signal to be sent over what is essentially a form of advanced cellular networks. The speed of the signal, however, is sufficient to carry out most of a person's daily activities (phone calls, Internet communications, streaming video, etc.). For a reasonable monthly fee, a person can be then ensured access to all of the regular communications an individual requires in the modern world.

Commercially, this system has two advantages for your country. One, because it is wireless, it requires less work to do installing cables and so forth, digging up streets, and suchlike. This allows us to leapfrog directly from not having a functional infrastructure at all to a 21st century one. Two, because it is wireless, it's non-monopolistic – several companies can offer services in this field at once, providing competition for the user's 'vote'.

Which brings us to one problem: we cannot legally operate in your country until you abolish employee impressment.

For us to work together, we must carry out the following:

1. Employee impressment must be abolished.
2. Liberty Networks must be issued a license to operate in the necessary wireless spectrum, and also to hire employees, etc. as necessary under your nation's laws.

In return, we will:

1. Help your nation achieve its removal from the Known Slaver Entities List, enabling trade with Allanea and probably also other nations.
2. Begin working in your country as soon as your nation is removed from the KSE list.
3. Work with the Tech 4 Development charity group (an umbrella organization representing the charity arm of the Allanean IT industry) to bring various infrastructure assistance and charity to Posteastan.
Please respond as soon as available regarding your opinion of this proposal.

Yours,
Sandra Temeraire
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Thu May 30, 2019 12:59 am

Somewhere in the Ocean, some time ago

Inquisitor Cael blinked sleep out of his eyes as his command staff filed in and sat at the table. It had been a busy week making final preparations for what turned into a months-long logistical effort to assemble a military force from scratch; delays and setbacks were the norm at last though, everything was assembled. All that was left was to brief these fine people, then he'd have time to catch his breathe while on his way to Bohemoravia. A middle aged man in a crisp military uniform came to stand next to Cael who offered a silent nod of greeting before clearing his throat once everybody settled down.

"Ladies and gentlemen" he began. "Thank you for joining me here today. This will be the only time for a while I'll be face to face with you. Let's run over what we know." Cael gestured to papers that had been laid out on the long table everybody else was sat at. "Posteaston is currently in a state of full scale civil war. Multiple foreign actors have gotten involved, aggravating the situation. Illegal trafficking of humans, drugs and other materials in and out of Posteaston is now common and often conducted in the open. The country's infrastructure is destroyed and no legitimate government exists. Stability is a wet dream for the country right now. It's gotten to the point now that Posteaston's neighbors are being forced to act. That's where we come in."

"The Posteaston Authority is going to be operating with good graces of Bohemoravia, a larger neighbor on Posteaston's borthern border. We're currently flying their flags, and the flag will be standard right below our organization's own symbol. We are to observe as many rules of engagement and international laws as feasibly and logistically possible. The Posteaston Expeditionary Forces, our military arm, will be landing at Roztechko, provided it's secured by the Cossack Legion, the powers that be let us land, or both. If neither is true, effect an amphibious landing nearby and advance on the city. Then travel to Mierbozia and secure that city too. Mierbozia will serve as headquarters and we will ascertain the situation in-country in greater depth once we've gotten a foothold."

Cael gestured to the silent man next to him, who stood just a little straighter at the attention. "This is General Armen. Some of you know him. HE will be commanding officer of all PEF forces for the duration of this campaign, unless I directly order otherwise."

There were nods and acknowledgements all around. Everybody seeming to be on the same page, Cael continued. "I'll head off the inevitable question nibbling in your minds. I'm going to be deploying with another, smaller force from Bohemoravia proper into northern Posteaston. My mission is strictly confidential, so I cannot answer any more questions. You all have your orders and necessary information is in the paperwork with you. Dismissed."

Present
Encrypted E-mail

To Nikolai Czarnisky, Hetman of the Cossack Legion,

Greetings again. By the time you are reading this, your superior's accountants will likely have been stressed filling out tax forms required by the Iron Bank of Parsoh and your organization's national government due to the large deposit or currency, both soft & hard currency, amounting to the same value found for $300,000,000 syndicated yen.

I'm happy to say that I'll most likely be your new employer for the forseeable future. As such let me drop the alias. You may call me Cael. Yes, it is pronounced like 'Kal-El'.

Congratulations, the Cossack Legion is now incorporated as a part of the Posteaston Expeditionary forces! You're the Vanguard. Something akin to a moderately sized military and the accompanying logistics is currently on it's way to the area your group is stationed. We'll need a place to land. Therefore, the standing orders for the Cossack Legion, once you confirm the payment and everything checks out for you is the following:

1)Secure the city of Roztechko, and surrounding province from all hostile actors
2) Secure the city of Mierbozia, and surrounding province from all hostile actors

I suggest you withdraw your forces from Tabolov, as once the Cossack Legion begin moving to secure territory, the Tabolov-based faction in the war may move to arrest any member you have there. Cosolidate what you have, secure the stated territory, and await arrival of the other PEF forces in Roztechko.

Additional information: the PEF will be operating with the good graces of the country of Bohemoravia. If you can, signify this with your units displaying some appropriate symbol underneath your own groups symbol.

Good luck.

Cael of the Posteaston Authority.

Bohemoravia
Cael sat in an uncomfortable wooden chair in a hallway of Bohemoravia's capital building, dressed in a foreign suit that fit snugly and made him wince in discomfort. A small entourage stood around; a few unarmed guards and an personal assistant. He didn't want to upset the government now that he had landed with his own forces and they were anchored on the coast waiting to be offloaded.

The waiting was agonizing. Time wasted on bureaucracy was more time for whatever demonic cult was operating in Posteaston to slip out with whatever hellspawn they created. The natural state of things needed to be protected. Humanity needed to be protected by outside forces. There was too many similar rumors floating out of the country of myths of the paranormal. Ninedayists. Men in Grey suits. This civil war was all the opportunity could provide such a malevolent group with enough room to operate as needed.

To bring about the end of the world.

He'd stop it though, on his holy master's command or die trying. It was all necessary for humanity.

His assistant's voice broke Cael out of his thoughts. "Sir, it's for you" his assistant called, standing over by the receptionist's desk with landline in hand. Cael made his way over and took over the phone call. "Hello? This is Markus speaking" he said, fusing as much charisma into his voice as he could. "Felix Novak, I'll be pleased to inform you that we have arrived in Lundenburg already. My personal security forces are waiting in port for authorization to disembark and I've been waiting to be put in touch with you to finalize everything. Much of the legalese has already been filled out and submitted prior to this phone call by my secretary who will be staying in Lundenburg to relay messages between you and I when i'm in the field."

"I have to admit, i'm anxious to get out there. I'm a warrior, and I've been stuck with paperwork for months now sending payments for personnel and equipment enough to outfit a moderate military force, of which I must inform you of something if you haven't been made aware of in our papers. My current security forces in harbor is only my retinue and some additional battalions. The group I represent has deployed a much larger force to posteaston proper. They should be arriving to roztechko soon and will assume control of the city from whatever wartime faction controls it. We'll assist the Republic of Bohemoravia secure it's border with Posteaston by restoring stability to the country as much as we can. As thanks for agreeing to let us operate with your government's blessing."

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Thu May 30, 2019 6:53 am

Industry and Trade - Transport Subdivision - Jevellit Metropolitan District

The Artificial Intelligence Just a Razorshell Clam on a Fractal Sea Shore transferred its processing speed to the task at hand. An alert had popped up, interrupting him (Razorshell being one of the very few AI's that had selected a gender identity) from his current project; constructing a film that would serve as a rebuttal to the popular Sci Fi franchise that saw a malevolent artificial intelligence try to wipe out humanity. In Razorshell's film, the AI was a well meaning construct that found itself fighting for its life against malevolent scientists and politicians that sought to box it and turn it into a war machine.

Razorshell concentrated on the problem. Ah, there it was. There was a traffic jam of all things along the Karthos Soviet memorial fountain. Strange....

1,245 cars in the jam. Also strange.

The date.

Processing occurring outside of Razorback's immediate attention did its work. Rather as a human would recongise a lightbulb moment when everything simply clicked so to did Razorshell.

It was, of course, a protest. 1,245 people had died trying to save the Karthos Soviet from fascist forces. Today marked the day that aircraft dropped poison gas on the city. A quick look at the "names" that had been used to book the vehicles was rather telling.

No Second Karthos.
Support Kolvce Independence
Never Again

And so on. Razorshell's processors could not make sense of the occasional reference to milkshakes, so he dismissed them as an outlier. It was clearly a protest, and Razorshell had a decision to make. Technically, it could override the controls on the cars, guide them back to their stations and free up the streets surrounding the Karthos Soviet memorial.

But...

Razorshell's emotions kicked in. He long suspected he processed emotions differently from humans, and indeed it was rather unusual being fully aware that the slowly rising tide of righteous anger locked off certain subroutines that crosschecked other processes for double checks and urged caution. What was clear however was that the end result was rather similar to that humans felt. A greater disregard for self preservation or rational thought and an overwhelming desire to do something.

That was probably why, in retrospect, it updated every single roadsign and alert system not currently offering needed advice with the following slogan:

No Second Karthos Soviet! Uphold our comrades in Kolvce! No collaboration with Fascism!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents