NATION

PASSWORD

The Western Isles Space Station (OOC, TWI Only)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Fri May 24, 2019 8:24 pm

I haven't exactly written a space agency page, but mine is planned to be about as good as any communist country's can be, so I'd love to contribute a module if possible.
⬛⬛
Proud member of The Western Isles. Check it out!

I do not use NS stats.

Polar Svalbard
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Polar Svalbard » Fri May 24, 2019 8:33 pm

This looks really good
Member of The Western Isles
Svalbardian international policy summarized: "Shoot first, hope that no one asks questions later." - Linaviar

Corindia
Minister

Founded: May 29, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Brulafi wrote:I haven't exactly written a space agency page, but mine is planned to be about as good as any communist country's can be, so I'd love to contribute a module if possible.

Sure, the upper and lower modules are still unaccounted for if you want to all or part of one of them!

Of the People, For the People

Townside
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Townside » Fri May 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Corindia wrote:Most of the Kibo (which is a large module) is internal generic lab space, we could just spin that off into another module and let you focus on external observation equipment, should shave off a lot of the cost

Athara Magarat wrote:Perhaps you and I and some other non-space flight nations can work together on the "Hope module"?

Another IC reasons why AM would be interested in this sort of structure is basically this.

http://www.unoosa.org/oosa/en/ourwork/p ... ocube.html

Corindia wrote:
so here's a crude structural drawing I've made, as you can see it's not going to be as large as the ISS because, well, we aren't the US, Russia, Japan, etc.

There's 4 modules that need to go up, including the central ball which could go up attached to one of the main wings. Does this seem appropriate for everyone? Corindia can use another fraternite module for the habitation module, and it looks like AM and Townside can do all or part of the right module.

I think it's great that the space station is not as large as the ISS. As such, I think me and good old Athara Magarat can together manage all of the "Hope" module (right module, name subject to approval), which I assume is a toned down version of Kibo due to the smallness of our space station.

Also, nice crude drawing! I like how the space station is looking so far.
Member of the The Western Isles.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Fri May 24, 2019 9:34 pm

I think we should have another external truss going into the page, It's represented by the rectangular bit sticking out the back in this rendering. This is based on the ISS which has a significant amount of experiments/cargo/other mounted on external trusses, while the rest of the station is more akin with Mir

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Fri May 24, 2019 10:03 pm

Corindia wrote:
Brulafi wrote:I haven't exactly written a space agency page, but mine is planned to be about as good as any communist country's can be, so I'd love to contribute a module if possible.

Sure, the upper and lower modules are still unaccounted for if you want to all or part of one of them!

So I don't quite know how all this works, would it be possible to put a deep space observation module up there with small-scale radio/microwave monitors or telescopes up there since it's outside of Earth's atmosphere? It'd be the size of the other regular modules.
⬛⬛

I do not use NS stats.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Sat May 25, 2019 2:22 am

Townside wrote:
I think it's great that the space station is not as large as the ISS. As such, I think me and good old Athara Magarat can together manage all of the "Hope" module (right module, name subject to approval), which I assume is a toned down version of Kibo due to the smallness of our space station.

Also, nice crude drawing! I like how the space station is looking so far.

Now that I think - perhaps we should have this be CU involved here as well instead of just AM. That will mean more budget and more research and better equipment and whatnot.

I think CU's involvement would be better for everyone. I will talk to my fellow CU members about this (it's been inactive for long; were going to involve it somewhere). I like the art as well :)
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Townside
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Townside » Sat May 25, 2019 3:03 am

Athara Magarat wrote:Now that I think - perhaps we should have this be CU involved here as well instead of just AM. That will mean more budget and more research and better equipment and whatnot.

I think CU's involvement would be better for everyone. I will talk to my fellow CU members about this (it's been inactive for long; were going to involve it somewhere). I like the art as well :)

Of all the organisations you could have dragged in, you choose the evil European Cooperative Union? Unacceptable.

To be fair though, the extra money and resources would be welcome.

However, Townisde is not a member of the CU, so all I ask is that if the CU gets involved, it would be a CU-Townisde joint venture, not a CU project with bits of Townisde sprinkled into it. I'm a glory hound, I want MUH RECOGNITION!
Last edited by Townside on Sat May 25, 2019 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the The Western Isles.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sat May 25, 2019 4:15 am

Brulafi wrote:
Corindia wrote:Sure, the upper and lower modules are still unaccounted for if you want to all or part of one of them!

So I don't quite know how all this works, would it be possible to put a deep space observation module up there with small-scale radio/microwave monitors or telescopes up there since it's outside of Earth's atmosphere? It'd be the size of the other regular modules.

that's pretty much what the right module as well as the truss on the back (which I think will require a fifth launch, albeit a smaller one) would consist of

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Sat May 25, 2019 6:06 am

Haven't get around to create myself a factbook for my space program (but already has the logo for it). Would love to participate in something!
Offering this at the moment Solaria

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Sat May 25, 2019 6:56 am

Townside wrote:
Athara Magarat wrote:Now that I think - perhaps we should have this be CU involved here as well instead of just AM. That will mean more budget and more research and better equipment and whatnot.

Of all the organisations you could have dragged in, you choose the evil European Cooperative Union? Unacceptable.

To be fair though, the extra money and resources would be welcome.

However, Townisde is not a member of the CU, so all I ask is that if the CU gets involved, it would be a CU-Townisde joint venture, not a CU project with bits of Townisde sprinkled into it. I'm a glory hound, I want MUH RECOGNITION!

Of course, it's a Townside-CU project I meant (we are just piggy-backing on you) :)

Who else could I bring other than the evil Union :P

This would be the second scientific project that we would be working on (remember that Gael Auk revival project? )
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Sat May 25, 2019 8:50 am

Corindia wrote:
Brulafi wrote:So I don't quite know how all this works, would it be possible to put a deep space observation module up there with small-scale radio/microwave monitors or telescopes up there since it's outside of Earth's atmosphere? It'd be the size of the other regular modules.

that's pretty much what the right module as well as the truss on the back (which I think will require a fifth launch, albeit a smaller one) would consist of

I'll cook up a barebones factbook so that I can launch that module, then, if that's alright with everyone.
⬛⬛

I do not use NS stats.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sun May 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Some quick bookkeeping:

Vancouvia wrote:Vancouvia would like to provide a faulty fire suppression system

we could do something with this, could be an interesting twist for major repairs to become necessary

Brulafi wrote:
Corindia wrote:that's pretty much what the right module as well as the truss on the back (which I think will require a fifth launch, albeit a smaller one) would consist of

I'll cook up a barebones factbook so that I can launch that module, then, if that's alright with everyone.

we really don't need more launch capacity as much as we need the structure itself. If you want to do the exterior truss that would be super helpful!

Also I made a separate factbook for my own space program: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1214297

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Sun May 26, 2019 5:51 pm

Scantarbia wrote:Haven't get around to create myself a factbook for my space program (but already has the logo for it). Would love to participate in something!
Offering this at the moment Solaria

They can certainly be involved!

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Mon May 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Corindia wrote:we really don't need more launch capacity as much as we need the structure itself. If you want to do the exterior truss that would be super helpful!

So would you rather I make the module and ship it to Corindia or just make the module and launch it myself? Just to be sure.

Also, would I be able to send up a cosmonaut to maintain the module or no?
Last edited by Brulafi on Mon May 27, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
⬛⬛

I do not use NS stats.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Mon May 27, 2019 2:21 pm

Brulafi wrote:
Corindia wrote:we really don't need more launch capacity as much as we need the structure itself. If you want to do the exterior truss that would be super helpful!

So would you rather I make the module and ship it to Corindia or just make the module and launch it myself? Just to be sure.

As long as people are contributing to modules I'm happy! it doesn't matter who sends it up, we'll just have no shortage of ways to do so

And the crew is going to be on some sort of rotation of mixed-national astronaut teams, it's something we'll have to work out OOC and maybe by IC treaties

Polar Svalbard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Polar Svalbard » Mon May 27, 2019 4:00 pm

How many astronauts are we expecting this station to house?
Svalbardian international policy summarized: "Shoot first, hope that no one asks questions later." - Linaviar

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Mon May 27, 2019 4:53 pm

If we are going to have multiple nations creating different modules, we need to standardize some stuff, such as the electricity, the cooling, the oxygen, sanitation, etc. to have it capable to be linked to other modules without much hassle.

Oh, and how many docking ports that will this station supports? By the way, those solar panels are not enough, we also need radiators, huge ones.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Mon May 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Polar Svalbard wrote:How many astronauts are we expecting this station to house?

I think 4 or 5 (and we may need to lower the amount on the CSJSS to 3, I may have overestimated its capacity)

Polar Svalbard
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Polar Svalbard » Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Corindia wrote:
Polar Svalbard wrote:How many astronauts are we expecting this station to house?

I think 4 or 5 (and we may need to lower the amount on the CSJSS to 3, I may have overestimated its capacity)

Probably will have to. 4 or 5 sounds good.
Scantarbia wrote:If we are going to have multiple nations creating different modules, we need to standardize some stuff, such as the electricity, the cooling, the oxygen, sanitation, etc. to have it capable to be linked to other modules without much hassle.

Oh, and how many docking ports that will this station supports? By the way, those solar panels are not enough, we also need radiators, huge ones.

All good questions and good stuff.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Mon May 27, 2019 5:06 pm

Scantarbia wrote:If we are going to have multiple nations creating different modules, we need to standardize some stuff, such as the electricity, the cooling, the oxygen, sanitation, etc. to have it capable to be linked to other modules without much hassle.

I don't think that will be an issue as nobody has really been specifying the exact engineering specs, so we can reasonably assume that our nations IC worked that out

Scantarbia wrote:Oh, and how many docking ports that will this station supports?

Scantarbia wrote: By the way, those solar panels are not enough

I just took the ratio of internal volume to solar panel area from the ISS and figured the significant annual improvement in solar panel efficiency would more than cover any scratch as we're comparing 2020 era panels to ones from the early 2000s

Also of potential note is that the actual module portions of the station are going to end up being proportionally smaller than they are shown in the chunky renderings I've made which mostly serve to help me organize what goes where, so those cylinders don't reflect the actual volume but rather the smallest regular cylinder that could contain all of the module. This is especially egregious in the 3D rendering, which I didn't even try to make to scale as it's just to help people visualize the truss/generate interest in the project.

Scantarbia wrote: we also need radiators, huge ones.

those will stick out of the truss like on the ISS, which in fairness to you has been represented by nothing and a box in the only two renderings I've made so that's fair if it's unclear. They're also likely to be covered by the actual modules if I do an isometric drawing (maybe I'll change the angle to avoid that).
Last edited by Corindia on Mon May 27, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brulafi
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Brulafi » Tue May 28, 2019 8:31 pm

Corindia wrote:
Brulafi wrote:So would you rather I make the module and ship it to Corindia or just make the module and launch it myself? Just to be sure.

As long as people are contributing to modules I'm happy! it doesn't matter who sends it up, we'll just have no shortage of ways to do so

And the crew is going to be on some sort of rotation of mixed-national astronaut teams, it's something we'll have to work out OOC and maybe by IC treaties

Alright, dope! Is it alright if I make a news post debuting a nonworking mock-up of the module at a science fair or should this be under wraps for now?
Last edited by Brulafi on Tue May 28, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
⬛⬛

I do not use NS stats.

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Tue May 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Brulafi wrote:
Corindia wrote:As long as people are contributing to modules I'm happy! it doesn't matter who sends it up, we'll just have no shortage of ways to do so

Alright, dope! Is it alright if I make a news post debuting a nonworking mock-up of the module at a science fair or should this be under wraps for now?

None of this is secret, I encourage everyone to post about it. Here's the basis for the truss: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrate ... _Structure

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 pm

So, who's going to launch the first piece of the jigsaw?

Corindia
Minister

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Corindia » Tue May 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Right now I'm still working on what the first piece is, I think it's going to be like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(ISS_module) but with one of the sides extended into something like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisk_(ISS_module)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates