NATION

PASSWORD

Hundreds quarantined for measles in 2 CA universities.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun May 19, 2019 5:59 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Wrong.

So, your main argument about why you oppose mandatory vaccination is that they don't always work? What kind of argument is this? Are you saying that you'd rather risk the death of dozens of immunocompromised people and babies just because there's a one in a million chance that vaccines don't work?

Nope, try again.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:00 pm

Kowani wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Read above.

This is like being against seatbelts because not every death is prevented.

Again implying that I'm against vaccines.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:01 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Inkopolitia wrote:So, your main argument about why you oppose mandatory vaccination is that they don't always work? What kind of argument is this? Are you saying that you'd rather risk the death of dozens of immunocompromised people and babies just because there's a one in a million chance that vaccines don't work?

Nope, try again.

That's essentially what you're saying. "Vaccines are bad because they only owrk 99.3813% of the time, so i'd rather gamble with the lives of babies, immunocompromised individusls and elders because of my own selfish ambition!"
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:05 pm

Inkopolitia wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Nope, try again.

That's essentially what you're saying. "Vaccines are bad because they only owrk 99.3813% of the time, so i'd rather gamble with the lives of babies, immunocompromised individusls and elders because of my own selfish ambition!"

You're welcome to go back and read my previous reponses to those strawman claims.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
I agree with requirements for proof of vaccinations before attending school, summer camp, dance class, sports teams, etc., and registration for these makes that easy and normalizes the idea. When you say it’s mandatory, people get scared.

I don’t give a fuck about what they feel

Cool, just don't bitch and call them terrorists when you meet armed resistance.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:

I'm so scared of the anti-vaxxer armed resistance! They're gonna throw essential oils at me! I'm so dead!
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:16 pm

The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Of course, I support insurrections against government overreach. and for their own sake they'd best not implement what you propose.

I sense that you’d very likely change your tune really quick if there was another Spanish flu-level pandemic that killed hundreds of millions of people and the governments of the world mandated vaccination programs to stop it.

Nope.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Sun May 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Duhon wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Coming from the guy who says being vaccinated will guarantee you won't be infected with measles.

... what insane logic is this? "Vaccines don't prevent infection in every case, therefore ditch vaccines and YOLO like before"?

Bear in mind that, in the case of measles, "before" meant a disease so common someone once quipped that catching it was as inevitable as death and taxes. You're saying a few deaths for the sake of bodily autonomy... is acceptable.

Nice strawman.

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun May 19, 2019 7:19 pm

Ravennog wrote:
Sanctum and Ultima wrote:Sigh, come on... mandatory vaccinations work. How about we fine $100 per week against anti-vax parents when they refuse to do so?

YES PLEASE SIGN ME UP

Would you support mandatory treatment for illnesses, as well? Supposing someone had Herpes, would you support mandatory antiviral treatments?
Insert trite farewell here

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sun May 19, 2019 7:21 pm

Duhon wrote:
Ravennog wrote:YES PLEASE SIGN ME UP

Clearly fines don't work on people who've set themselves on infecting as many as possible.

Come now, you're lying. That is not their goal and you know it. It's really pathetic how it's not enough for some of the people in this thread to be right about vaccinations, they have to be downright hateful and shitty. Newsflash: opposing anti-vaxxers doesn't mean you have to lie about them or talk about putting them in Gulag or any of the other bullshit that comes up in these threads.
Last edited by Scomagia on Sun May 19, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insert trite farewell here

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun May 19, 2019 9:56 pm

Scomagia wrote:
Duhon wrote:
Clearly fines don't work on people who've set themselves on infecting as many as possible.

Come now, you're lying. That is not their goal and you know it. It's really pathetic how it's not enough for some of the people in this thread to be right about vaccinations, they have to be downright hateful and shitty. Newsflash: opposing anti-vaxxers doesn't mean you have to lie about them or talk about putting them in Gulag or any of the other bullshit that comes up in these threads.

Goal or not, that is the outcome of their actions and they refuse to cease actions that would lead to that outcome.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Sun May 19, 2019 11:36 pm

I was banned from the forum for 72 hours because of anti-vaxxers flamebaiting me...
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun May 19, 2019 11:37 pm

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:I was banned from the forum for 72 hours because of anti-vaxxers flamebaiting me...

I’m sure if you were banned it was based on your actions. No one gets banned for something someone else did.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Sun May 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:I was banned from the forum for 72 hours because of anti-vaxxers flamebaiting me...

I’m sure if you were banned it was based on your actions. No one gets banned for something someone else did.

yeah, but aren't anti-vaxxers objectively wrong?
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

NeoOasis
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 07, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby NeoOasis » Sun May 19, 2019 11:40 pm

Scomagia wrote:

Would you support mandatory treatment for illnesses, as well? Supposing someone had Herpes, would you support mandatory antiviral treatments?

I don't think preventative medicine is the same as treating a disease, but there are cases in which parents have refused treatment based on whatever grounds. This refusal either led to death or disability of the child.
Eternally salty, quite tired, and perhaps looking for a brighter future.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Sun May 19, 2019 11:41 pm

NeoOasis wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Would you support mandatory treatment for illnesses, as well? Supposing someone had Herpes, would you support mandatory antiviral treatments?

I don't think preventative medicine is the same as treating a disease, but there are cases in which parents have refused treatment based on whatever grounds. This refusal either led to death or disability of the child.

I'm going to debunk the "religious" reason. Where in the Torah did it say "Thou shalt not vaccinate your child?" Where in the Bible and where in the Quran?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sun May 19, 2019 11:42 pm

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Galloism wrote:I’m sure if you were banned it was based on your actions. No one gets banned for something someone else did.

yeah, but aren't anti-vaxxers objectively wrong?

Look, I get it. I really do. But there's a difference between "you're objectively wrong" and "you're objectively wrong and stupid."

The second one will get you a time-out.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Sun May 19, 2019 11:44 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:yeah, but aren't anti-vaxxers objectively wrong?

Look, I get it. I really do. But there's a difference between "you're objectively wrong" and "you're objectively wrong and stupid."

The second one will get you a time-out.

That does makes sense.

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
The Greater Ohio Valley wrote:I sense that you’d very likely change your tune really quick if there was another Spanish flu-level pandemic that killed hundreds of millions of people and the governments of the world mandated vaccination programs to stop it.

Nope.

This would prevent a global pandemic that would kill potentially billions? No, because I don't like the gubment.

What a sound and perfectly sensible stance.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Mon May 20, 2019 12:16 am

Highever wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:
Nope.

This would prevent a global pandemic that would kill potentially billions? No, because I don't like the gubment.

What a sound and perfectly sensible stance.

Put him on the foe list and do not respond. He would stop this willy-nilly once we ignored him.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 am

Scomagia wrote:

There is an interesting comparison there.

People cannot be forcibly treated (and I would be concerned about compelled treatment of competent adults, due to the issues that presents with body autonomy), however they can be prosecuted in some places if they intentionally transmit an STI.

I stress I am not actually in favour of criminal prosecution and removal of children from non-vaccinating parents (though I am in favour of supervision orders to compel parents to vaccinate, if there's no medical reason -- for serious diseases like measles and polio), and I would prefer for such an approach to be augmented by greater public education to tackle misinformation so that, over time, such measures hardly needs to be used.

But the presence of laws that allow people to be prosecuted for deliberately transmitting an STI does suggest that it would not be out of order for anti-vaccination parents to be encouraged to consider the wider good (of children too young to be vaccinated, the pregnant, the immunocompromised, the elderly).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 20, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Mon May 20, 2019 1:09 am

Chernoslavia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:

Yes the dreaded anti-vaxxer defense force...their mighty high fenced suburban citadels will prove no match once we send them blankets that were used by children with chicken pox.
Last edited by Highever on Mon May 20, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon May 20, 2019 1:12 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Would you support mandatory treatment for illnesses, as well? Supposing someone had Herpes, would you support mandatory antiviral treatments?

There is an interesting comparison there.

People cannot be forcibly treated (and I would be concerned about compelled treatment of competent adults, due to the issues that presents with body autonomy), however they can be prosecuted in some places if they intentionally transmit an STI.

I stress I am not actually in favour of criminal prosecution and removal of children from non-vaccinating parents (though I am in favour of supervision orders to compel parents to vaccinate, if there's no medical reason -- for serious diseases like measles and polio), and I would prefer for such an approach to be augmented by greater public education to tackle misinformation so that, over time, such measures hardly needs to be used.

But the presence of laws that allow people to be prosecuted for deliberately transmitting an STI does suggest that it would not be out of order for anti-vaccination parents to be encouraged to consider the wider good (of children too young to be vaccinated, the pregnant, the immunocompromised, the elderly).

But those laws only effect those who knowingly transmit the disease. Anti-Vaxxer folks aren't doing that AFAIK.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 20, 2019 1:23 am

Telconi wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:There is an interesting comparison there.

But those laws only effect those who knowingly transmit the disease. Anti-Vaxxer folks aren't doing that AFAIK.

If they knowingly don't have their child vaccinated -- despite their child being medically fit for vaccination -- and their child gets ill with the disease they didn't vaccinate for, and they then take their ill child outside (to the park, to school, to one of the disease parties that anti-vaxxers still hold), that would be knowing transmission to unknowing parties.

But that wasn't the comparison I was making. It was more about the individual -- the person with an STI, the parent who doesn't wish to be vaccinated -- may have medical autonomy (different rules should apply with children, who precedent shows have a right to be protected from their parents' decisions), but there is also legal precedent for them having a duty to protect other people from things that may cause them medical harm.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon May 20, 2019 1:28 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Telconi wrote:

If they knowingly don't have their child vaccinated -- despite their child being medically fit for vaccination -- and their child gets ill with the disease they didn't vaccinate for, and they then take their ill child outside (to the park, to school, to one of the disease parties that anti-vaxxers still hold), that would be knowing transmission to unknowing parties.

But that wasn't the comparison I was making. It was more about the individual -- the person with an STI, the parent who doesn't wish to be vaccinated -- may have medical autonomy (different rules should apply with children, who precedent shows have a right to be protected from their parents' decisions), but there is also legal precedent for them having a duty to protect other people from things that may cause them medical harm.

Only if they knew they had a serious infectious disease.

There's a legal precedent that you must protect people from acts that *will* cause medical harm, for certain.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General