NATION

PASSWORD

Right-Wing Discussion Thread XVI: Making Things Right Again

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you consider nationalism and patriotism synoymous?

Yes- I am a nationalist and a patriot
26%
No- I am a nationalist and a patriot
12%
No- I am a nationalist, not a patriot
10%
No- I am a patriot, not a nationalist
33%
Yes- I am neither a nationalist nor a patriot
4%
No- I am neither a nationalist nor a patriot
15%

Total votes : 443

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Communist Zombie Horde wrote:
Duhon wrote:
Nothing says patriotism like adopting the cause of literal traitors.

The south is not traitors we are the most patriotic people in the world.

The thing is, USA patriotism is not the only kind of patriotism in the world. Supporting southern secession might have been anti-USA, but those who succeeded saw themselves as patriots for the CSA. It is really a matter of two different nationalisms competing against each other. But those who supported succession were traitors to the USA, no doubt about it.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sat May 18, 2019 3:16 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:
Asherahan wrote:Since when is secession patriotic?

Since we seceded and shot lobsterbacks in the American Revolution.

That was all Americans though and not just some slaveowners who were mad because someone who didn't like them owning people was elected to the office established by the Revolution in the first place.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat May 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Rostavykhan wrote:
> Implying patriotism means being patriotic to the US.

Lol, fuck the rest of America. South > West Coast/Midwest/New England any day.

As a proud Pennsylvanian, I must disagree.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Sat May 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Rostavykhan wrote:
> Implying patriotism means being patriotic to the US.

Lol, fuck the rest of America. South > West Coast/Midwest/New England any day.

And as a Pennsylvanian who is less proud of their birthplace than Bienenhalde, I must nevertheless concur with him that blatantly disregarding the rest of the Union is a rather impolite move, if I say so myself.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat May 18, 2019 4:23 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:

And as a Pennsylvanian who is less proud of their birthplace than Bienenhalde, I must nevertheless concur with him that blatantly disregarding the rest of the Union is a rather impolite move, if I say so myself.

Well, whatever I might dislike about the south, I think the USA is overrated anyway and would probably be better off separated into different regional nations or annexed by Canada.

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Sat May 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

Well, whatever I might dislike about the south, I think the USA is overrated anyway and would probably be better off separated into different regional nations or annexed by Canada.

I politely disagree; the US as currently exists has flaws (like a general culture that promotes a sort of egoistic libertine individualism), but these can (and should) be fixed before we undertake an unprecedented degree of e x p a n s i o n.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat May 18, 2019 4:39 pm

Hanafuridake wrote:
Rostavykhan wrote:
Since we seceded and shot lobsterbacks in the American Revolution.

That was all Americans though and not just some slaveowners who were mad because someone who didn't like them owning people was elected to the office established by the Revolution in the first place.

Plus the slaver traitors actually tried to get the British to attack the US.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

Which would be the end of the western world.
The US is the only one able to actually defend it.

The US definitely needs improvement and reform, but we are better than most places.

In a dog eat dog world little dogs are dog food.
Last edited by Novus America on Sat May 18, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Sat May 18, 2019 4:43 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:

Let's go ahead and balkanize. Cantada ain't gettin it's hands on our guns, not down here.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Sat May 18, 2019 4:46 pm

OH MY GOSH CHESTERTON FINALLY GOT INCLUDED IN AN RWDT POLL!!! *Squees.*
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Sat May 18, 2019 5:07 pm

Communist Zombie Horde wrote:
Duhon wrote:
Nothing says patriotism like adopting the cause of literal traitors.

The south is not traitors we are the most patriotic people in the world.

The south is laughably contradictory. Theres always talk about being Patriots but alot of times those same people love romanticizing the confederacy and its symbols.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 pm

Luminesa wrote:OH MY GOSH CHESTERTON FINALLY GOT INCLUDED IN AN RWDT POLL!!! *Squees.*

I see you are a person of culture.

Hanafuridake
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 09, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hanafuridake » Sat May 18, 2019 6:03 pm

Kirillov and Shatov are the best Dostoevsky characters. If you disagree, you need to read him again.
Nation name in proper language: 花降岳|पुष्पद्वीप
Theravada Buddhist
李贽 wrote:There is nothing difficult about becoming a sage, and nothing false about transcending the world of appearances.
Suriyanakhon's alt, finally found my old account's password

Nova Cyberia
Senator

Founded: May 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Cyberia » Sat May 18, 2019 6:07 pm

Tolkien is supreme.
Yes, yes, I get it. I'm racist and fascist because I disagree with you. Can we skip that part? I've heard it a million times before and I guarantee it won't be any different when you do it
##############
American Nationalist
Third Positionist Gang

Duhon
Senator

Founded: Nov 21, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Sat May 18, 2019 6:54 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Communist Zombie Horde wrote:The south is not traitors we are the most patriotic people in the world.

The thing is, USA patriotism is not the only kind of patriotism in the world. Supporting southern secession might have been anti-USA, but those who succeeded saw themselves as patriots for the CSA. It is really a matter of two different nationalisms competing against each other. But those who supported succession were traitors to the USA, no doubt about it.

That nationalism was predicated on people believing other people are not only inferior to them, but must suffer if they dare rise above their putative inferiority. They may give way on slavery, but not on hierarchy.

That was the alpha and omega of the confederacy.

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Nova Cyberia wrote:The Union's mistake was assuming that it was only a minority of Southerners who wanted to secede when the opposite was true.

The second mistake the Union made after battering the Confederacy down to its knees was assuming the South would cotton down to racial egalitarianism.

The last one was in giving back political power to the former Confederacy instead of maintaining military government for as long as needed.

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Sat May 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Duhon wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:The thing is, USA patriotism is not the only kind of patriotism in the world. Supporting southern secession might have been anti-USA, but those who succeeded saw themselves as patriots for the CSA. It is really a matter of two different nationalisms competing against each other. But those who supported succession were traitors to the USA, no doubt about it.

That nationalism was predicated on people believing other people are not only inferior to them, but must suffer if they dare rise above their putative inferiority. They may give way on slavery, but not on hierarchy.

That was the alpha and omega of the confederacy.

I do not disagree with that. I am just saying that the Confederates were a sort of patriot in a sense, not that I would approve of their ideology. And of course clashes between conflicting nationalist movements are not unique to the US. See for example Northern Ireland, the former Yugoslavia, and Taiwan.

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Founded: Mar 30, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 pm

We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Drongonia
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Drongonia » Sat May 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Totally Not OEP wrote:

And all of a sudden... just like that... people elected Hitler

Duhon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Duhon » Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Drongonia wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:

And all of a sudden... just like that... people elected Hitler

If on the basis of such stupidity (and let me reiterate: that shit is stupid) people will elect an asshole they're pretty much looking for an excuse to kick someone upside the head.

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 pm

Duhon wrote:
Nova Cyberia wrote:The Union's mistake was assuming that it was only a minority of Southerners who wanted to secede when the opposite was true.

The second mistake the Union made after battering the Confederacy down to its knees was assuming the South would cotton down to racial egalitarianism.

The last one was in giving back political power to the former Confederacy instead of maintaining military government for as long as needed.

By 1876 Reconstruction had already collapse and the political will to maintain troops in the South was gone; Northern voters had been exhausted by the low level guerrilla warfare combined with their own indifference to racial issues.

Hanafuridake wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:Events of late are increasingly making me reconsider whether to readopt Southern Nationalism or not.

Posts like this convince me that maybe CM has a point, at least in regard to the failure to take punitive measures so that secessionist ideas would never have arisen in the South again.

We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Asherahan wrote:Serious question why didn't the US annex Cuba and the Caribbean islands in the 1890s and 1900s?

Because by 1900 the Sugar trade, the only source of value for the Caribbean isles, was no longer as profitable as it once was. In the case of Cuba as well, a long running guerrilla war was being waged and had allowed for the development of Cuban nationalism, which meant annexing it would've put the U.S. in the exact same spot as Spain once was in.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 18, 2019 7:36 pm

Novus America wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:
No.

But as you said their fears were unfounded, it is obvious Lincoln has no intent or power to ban slavery in the South. So even if defended slavery justified the war (when obviously that is still a horrible justification) slavery was not even seriously threatened!

I said they were unfounded because I have the benefit of hindsight, the Southerners of 1860 did not. Even if they did, the South by 1860 had developed its own national identity and thus, in that spirit of self determination, I find them in the right; those men were my ancestors, and I don't begrudge them for doing what they had to do to enact their vision and defend their homes in the process.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm

Duhon wrote:
Drongonia wrote:And all of a sudden... just like that... people elected Hitler

If on the basis of such stupidity (and let me reiterate: that shit is stupid) people will elect an asshole they're pretty much looking for an excuse to kick someone upside the head.

That's exactly the point, people are feeling the same but in reverse to your opinions.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

Totally Not OEP
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Totally Not OEP » Sat May 18, 2019 7:37 pm

The Xenopolis Confederation wrote:
Totally Not OEP wrote:Events of late are increasingly making me reconsider whether to readopt Southern Nationalism or not.

What did he mean by this?

There's been a tone shift, at least in part of the Southern populace, that I find lacking in the nation as a whole anymore.
We shoot .223's
We'll take your life
We out with the gang
You know we gon' slide

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General