NATION

PASSWORD

Hundreds quarantined for measles in 2 CA universities.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Are you serious?

Children are smaller and physically weaker, meaning they can be harmed. They do not know right from wrong until about age seven, meaning that the unscrupulous can exploit them. They are more likely to be credulous and believe lies fed to them by people who do not have their best interests at heart (meaning that they can make poor decisions). Impulsivity can lead to them doing things that can cause irreparable damage to themselves or others.

We have laws to protect them against child marriage to protect them from being abused, laws to stop them smoking to prevent them damaging their bodies, laws to keep them out of the army to stop them seeing someone who looks cool in a uniform and going to get themselves killed.

These are all good laws. That you don't like them is just too fucking bad!

Adding mandatory vaccination of children would be another way to protect them from being killed or maimed before their life has begun, and while they are unfairly under the influence of their parents.

Children are children: small, immature and vulnerable, with sometimes faulty decision-making. Not smaller versions of adults.

The empowerment of the human impulses, however, would lead to much better consequences in the long run. If we weren't taught to obsess over the effects of our decisions, for example, decisions could be made at a governmental level which completely changed or even ended the world.

I......am guessing you don't have any children?

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Don’t talk about the speck in other’s eyes while ignoring the plank in your own

I don't think I've been talking rubbish in this thread

Hmmm? Actually; you are.....
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Thu May 16, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Icelandic Military Junta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Icelandic Military Junta » Thu May 16, 2019 10:20 am

Estanglia wrote:
The Aria wrote:
And some people are determined to see vaccines as good and necessary

Because they are.

The Aria wrote:
Yes some of us do hold a view that vaccines are dangerous. A thing that can kill thousands of people

Point us to the thousands of people killed by vaccines.

The Aria wrote:
You say bring me evidence but then you restrict it to sources that will be from only one side...

Maybe there's a reason for that...

Like, oh, I don't know, most everyone who has even a shred of credibility knowing that vaccines don't kill?

The Aria wrote:
The agendas of the people in the government aren't

Ah yes, The Evil Health AgendaTM!

Secretly plotting to save your kids since 1796!

The Aria wrote:Its kinda unfair its 1vs5 here, i cant think about all your points at the same time.

Maybe if anti-vaxers got as much funding as vaxers we could prove the truth to you with fancy sources, but that probably wont happen because people dont want to be wrong

Anyways i need to go, its getting late.

We already have the truth.

I still can't for the like of me understand why Anti-Vaxxers are a thing.

There have been no studies proving that Vaccines are more dangerous than the illness that prevents them. For example, Polio. Polio can leave you permanently disabled or dead. The Polio vaccine According to the NCBI caused 80 deaths in the US between 1980 and 1989. This is out of the millions who received the vaccine during the 80s, so your chances of dying could range anywhere from 1 in 100k to 1 in a million. Now let's see the polio cases in the United States.

Between 1949 and 1954, there were 196 thousand cases of Polio. Of those, 10,400 died. This means that your chances of dying were about 5% and many developed additional symptoms 15-40 years later. Even the ones who didn't die or have permanent scars suffered from anything ranging from flu-like symptoms to paralysis. Which side do you want your child to be on?

Sources:
https://www.cdc.gov/polio/about/index.htm
https://ourworldindata.org/polio
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/
IC Year: 2022
Icelandic Press: Medical: Cure research slows as monkey population dies of tuberculosis| Internal: Paganism grows in Akureyri| International: Last sane settlement with contact with Iceland is destroyed in Greenland by starvation, despite Icelandic efforts to keep it alive.

My attempt at making a morally grey-area nation by putting a mildly-shitty nation into a very shitty world.
I'm Hammer Britannia
In a permanent state of WIP.
Posts before 2020 are not canon anymore.
*Insert witty Plague Inc joke here*

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

Wow, I honestly didn't know that my thread will go this far. Anyway, I thought I will just chime in, and correct me if I'm wrong here.

So from what I can see here, there are debates on the government interference being all bad because of mandatory vaccines, am I correct in saying that?

If that is correct, I will say that the arguments are slippery slopes when we are talking about mandatory vaccines giving the government more power to do whatever the hell they want. First and foremost, there is healthy cynicism, and there is unhealthy paranoia and slippery slope that I have aforementioned.

What I am personally wanting to go for is for the governments to make vaccines mandatory, and in most cases with the rest of the world, we are already seeing this in effect; one must be vaccinated to attend a school, for instance.

This does NOT necessarily mean that this will give the government more power to push whatever else they feel like towards the people to be mandatory, nor am I advocating for the police or the civil services to drag people out from their homes just because they aren't vaccinated. No, if you are not vaccinated, I simply ask that you do so, or be informed better about the matter, and if you still don't comply, I simply ask that you and your offsprings be quarantined from the rest of the world to protect the rest of us. Or a hefty fine... or something. I want the vaccines to be mandatory to protect people, but at the same time, we must not go with the slippery argument of "the government is meddling too much in our lives."

Whatever a government does, does not necessarily have to follow what 1984 or some dystopian sci-fi book says. It can be as senseful as:

Govt: "Hey, are you vaccinated?"
AVer: "No, because it's my freedom not to be vaccinated."
Govt: "Cool, then please stay away from those vulnerable areas, especially around children or immunocompromised people. Also we are pushing for validified and tried and tested vaccines, we are NOT pushing unverified vaccines to make you all guinea pigs. We have governmental oversights and organisations to keep that in check!"

You definitely don't want an unvaccinated person to be around your kid, or your friend who is immunocompromised.

-----

Some will say that this will go against civil rights, and yes, it will be, to a certain degree. But at the same time, this is to make sure that measles, smallpox, polio, and all those other diseases be left behind in the past and never to be brought back again.

In short: I would like the government to keep in check that people are vaccinating but at the same time, there can be oversights to make sure that the government is pushing for verified and tried vaccines instead of using people as unintentional guinea pigs.

The government isn't some dystopian uni-body entity. Sure, I am cynical at some things they (any country's govt) do, but at the end of the day, being too paranoid and fearing that they will drag you out of your homes is... overblown. Mandatory vaccines are not going to end the world, as far as I am concerned. It may cause overpopulation if you are going to argue with that route, but that can be fixed with birth control (but that's another story).

It's good to think about yourself, but at the same time, please do think about everyone else around you and don't be too overly selfish.

EDIT that my views are argued for or against and I am not saying that my views are totally correct. I'm just a guy with an internet connection like most here, so... yeah, just saying that. I ain't a health professional, but I trust the verified doctors well enough.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Shanhwa
Envoy

Founded: Mar 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanhwa » Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am

The Aria wrote::twisted:
Gormwood wrote:Never thought there would be an actual anti-vaxxers on NSG. Rather sad huh?

Why do you think its sad?

I think most anti-vaxers dont say anything because you people put words in our mouths and many of the ones who do say things and have blogs and stuff get shut down by the government

I too remember when the FBI took down my website for not getting vaccinated.

Truly we live in a society.
The Free State of Shanhwa

自由州的山红瓦

Alt-universe and alt-account of Sicaris.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am

This might be the result of a bad vaccine, which can lead to MORE problems than not getting vaccinated. If you're going to get vaxxed, check if your vaccine has any bad design quirks.
Last edited by Tornado Queendom on Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
UNDER ECONOMIC MARTIAL LAW (Communism)
The craziest schizo on NationStates. National Trotskyism is my ideology.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself™
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 16, 2019 10:55 am

Tornado Queendom wrote:This might be the result of a bad vaccine, which can lead to MORE problems than not getting vaccinated. If you're going to get vaxxed, check if your vaccine has any bad design quirks.

Ahh anti-vaxx?

Please list "bad design quirks"
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu May 16, 2019 10:55 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:This might be the result of a bad vaccine, which can lead to MORE problems than not getting vaccinated. If you're going to get vaxxed, check if your vaccine has any bad design quirks.

Ahh anti-vaxx?

Poisons. Lots and lots of poisons.

Mandatory /s here. :P
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am

The Black Forrest wrote:

Ahh anti-vaxx?

For example, some mistake could've been made which means that the virus isn't disabled. This could lead to infections, which could be prevented by either isolating yourself or checking if you have quality vaccines.
However, I'd agree with the Anti-Vax crowd's right to free speech.
Last edited by Tornado Queendom on Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 16, 2019 10:57 am

Tornado Queendom wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ahh anti-vaxx?

For example, some mistake could've been made which means that the virus isn't disabled. This could lead to infections, which could be prevented by either isolating yourself or checking if you have quality vaccines.

Ok. Source how many times that has happened.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 am

Tornado Queendom wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
Ahh anti-vaxx?

Hmmmm? Free speech which could possibly endanger others especially when spouting falsehoods and nonsense?......

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu May 16, 2019 10:59 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:For example, some mistake could've been made which means that the virus isn't disabled. This could lead to infections, which could be prevented by either isolating yourself or checking if you have quality vaccines.

Hmmmm? Free speech which could possibly endanger others especially when spouting falsehoods and nonsense?......

No matter what, taking away free speech is unconstitutional.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™

Icelandic Military Junta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Icelandic Military Junta » Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:For example, some mistake could've been made which means that the virus isn't disabled. This could lead to infections, which could be prevented by either isolating yourself or checking if you have quality vaccines.

Yeah, unlike Nazism or Stalinism, Anti-Vaxxers are an immediate threat to society. Nazis and Tankies are just wrong, Anti-Vaxxers can cause an epidemic that leads hundreds quarantined or dead. They are screaming "There is a fire" in a crowded area when there is no fire and all it causes is hysteria and pain
Last edited by Icelandic Military Junta on Thu May 16, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
IC Year: 2022
Icelandic Press: Medical: Cure research slows as monkey population dies of tuberculosis| Internal: Paganism grows in Akureyri| International: Last sane settlement with contact with Iceland is destroyed in Greenland by starvation, despite Icelandic efforts to keep it alive.

My attempt at making a morally grey-area nation by putting a mildly-shitty nation into a very shitty world.
I'm Hammer Britannia
In a permanent state of WIP.
Posts before 2020 are not canon anymore.
*Insert witty Plague Inc joke here*

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu May 16, 2019 11:01 am

Tornado Queendom wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Hmmmm? How about legal action against the perpetrators?

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Thu May 16, 2019 11:02 am

Icelandic Military Junta wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Yeah, unlike Nazism or Stalinism, Anti-Vaxxers are an immediate threat to society. Nazis and Tankies are just wrong, Anti-Vaxxers can cause an epidemic that leads hundreds quarantined or dead.

As with the case of the very OP here, or with many other news of these diseases making a comeback.

Movies, TV shows, games, they can make a comeback many times they want.

Measles, polio, smallpox... they need to stay dead and not allowed to come back.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Unia Ante
Lobbyist

Founded: May 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Unia Ante » Thu May 16, 2019 3:23 pm

Interesting to me how Trump goes back on his word like that. Was he not educated on the subject or did he turn a blind eye to appeal to his voters? Or both?

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Thu May 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Unia Ante wrote:Interesting to me how Trump goes back on his word like that. Was he not educated on the subject or did he turn a blind eye to appeal to his voters? Or both?

Trump going back on his words is inevitable as sunrise and sunset.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 3:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvGmOZ5T6_Y

Crowds: Anti-vax moms and NSG posters saying 'freedom to kill your own son/daughter'
Big Brother: Lying facebook people
Goldstein: Rational people
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Freeing slaves was unconstitutional before the Civil War.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Thu May 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Given that this occurred on a university campus, where students are subject to mandatory vaccination, it seems unlikely that anti-vaxxers are to blame here. More likely, somebody actually contracted measles the old-fashioned way. I.E. some dumbass ventured off to a third world country and started drinking water, eating the food, and sharing fluids with the people.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 3:46 pm

Kowani wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:No matter what, taking away free speech is unconstitutional.

Freeing slaves was unconstitutional before the Civil War.

Remember, the Constitution is not set in stone and could be amended unlike the laws of physics.
Smrt slobodi govora sloboda intelektualcima!
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu May 16, 2019 3:54 pm

Bear Stearns wrote:Given that this occurred on a university campus, where students are subject to mandatory vaccination, it seems unlikely that anti-vaxxers are to blame here. More likely, somebody actually contracted measles the old-fashioned way. I.E. some dumbass ventured off to a third world country and started drinking water, eating the food, and sharing fluids with the people.

Somebody At WIki wrote:The virus is highly contagious and is spread by coughing and sneezing via close personal contact or direct contact with secretions.[40] It can live for up to two hours in that airspace or nearby surfaces.[19][40] Measles is so contagious that if one person has it, 90% of nearby non-immune people will also become infected.[19] Humans are the only natural hosts of the virus, and no other animal reservoirs are known to exist.[19]

So you don't even need to eat or drink anything and measles is certainly not a sexually transmitted disease.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Kowani
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Kowani » Thu May 16, 2019 3:55 pm

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Kowani wrote:Freeing slaves was unconstitutional before the Civil War.

Remember, the Constitution is not set in stone and could be amended unlike the laws of physics.

Yes, that was part of the point I was making.
American History and Historiography; Political and Labour History, Urbanism, Political Parties, Congressional Procedure, Elections.

Servant of The Democracy since 1896.

Effortposts can be found here!

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Kowani wrote:
Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Remember, the Constitution is not set in stone and could be amended unlike the laws of physics.

Yes, that was part of the point I was making.

Smrt anti-vaxxeru sloboda narodu! For our children's and our grandchildren's future! DEATH TO THE ANTI-VAXXERS!

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu May 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Kowani wrote:Yes, that was part of the point I was making.

Smrt anti-vaxxeru sloboda narodu! For our children's and our grandchildren's future! DEATH TO THE ANTI-VAXXERS!

*** Warned for trolling. *** We don't call for the death of real people that way, not on this site, we don't. Also, knock it off with the Croatian invective.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Thu May 16, 2019 4:59 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:No matter what, taking away free speech is unconstitutional.

Hmmmm? How about legal action against the perpetrators?

Maybe we shouldn't attack the direct causes, but rather, we should use natural selection. The Anti-Vax crowd will not last a week.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General