NATION

PASSWORD

Hundreds quarantined for measles in 2 CA universities.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 6:43 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:
New Udonia wrote:Remember the ebola scare. Don't let the media do the thinking for you.
I'm not going to debate an issue with emotionally charged people.

I only feel it fair to point out this though, it is up to you to come to your own conclusions.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/politics ... index.html
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-nav ... and-germs/

A US navy ship is probably the highest rate (~100%) of vaccinations. These guys are subjected to the full cocktail of boosters, etc. How come they are starting to get sick?
This is food for thought, I do not, and will not, debate over whether we should persecute people for refusing a corporate product.

The ‘emotionally charged people’ are the Anti-vaxxers, not sane rational people.

Smallpox has been eradicated globally due to vaccines and Polio could be next. Just look at any statistics on disease cases before and after implementation of vaccination programs, and you’ll see how small they are compared to what they were.

And Vaccines aren’t a corporate product like Pepsi, they’re a medicinal miracle and the single greatest advancement in human history.

Anti-vaxxers just makes my blood turn into plasma.
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:
The ‘emotionally charged people’ are the Anti-vaxxers, not sane rational people.

Smallpox has been eradicated globally due to vaccines and Polio could be next. Just look at any statistics on disease cases before and after implementation of vaccination programs, and you’ll see how small they are compared to what they were.

And Vaccines aren’t a corporate product like Pepsi, they’re a medicinal miracle and the single greatest advancement in human history.

Why are you in favour of a healthier society?
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Children are impulsive (the adolescent brain does not finish maturing until 25)

Neuroscientists believe that the age of criminal responsibility is too low (bringing rationality into doubt).

Bandura's Bobo doll study showed how parents influence the behaviour of children, especially young ones -- bringing into doubt how "free" the will would be of any child living with anti-vaxxer parents.

We do not allow children to choose to do other things that have been shown to have a potentially harmful effect -- like smoking.

I'd guesstimate that, the more we know of neurological development, the stronger the case for protecting children against making harmful medical decisions -- and protecting them from dangerous pathogens -- will become.

I'm not in favour of a smoking age either though.

You are in an extreme minority. Most people don't want to have to wake a pre-schooler from naptime to tell them "I'm sorry, kiddo... it's lung cancer."

I'm pretty confident that laws that acknowledge the vulnerability of minors and protect them from harm are not going away. If anything, they will probably be toughened up.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 6:47 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Anti-vaxxers just makes my blood turn into plasma.

Why are you in favour of a healthier society?

Common sense.
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 16, 2019 6:48 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:I'm not in favour of a smoking age either though.

You are in an extreme minority. Most people don't want to have to wake a pre-schooler from naptime to tell them "I'm sorry, kiddo... it's lung cancer."

I'm pretty confident that laws that acknowledge the vulnerability of minors and protect them from harm are not going away. If anything, they will probably be toughened up.

How are they vulnerable though? Yes they may be more impulsive, but a world with the most impulsive inhabitants empowered can only end up as a good thing.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Icelandic Military Junta
Secretary

Founded: Apr 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Icelandic Military Junta » Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Why are you in favour of a healthier society?

Common sense.

Nah, clearly this outbreak preventable illnesses in the western world is a cause of random chance and not the fact that vaccines are good for society.

Therefore, Vaccines still bad
IC Year: 2022
Icelandic Press: Medical: Cure research slows as monkey population dies of tuberculosis| Internal: Paganism grows in Akureyri| International: Last sane settlement with contact with Iceland is destroyed in Greenland by starvation, despite Icelandic efforts to keep it alive.

My attempt at making a morally grey-area nation by putting a mildly-shitty nation into a very shitty world.
I'm Hammer Britannia
In a permanent state of WIP.
Posts before 2020 are not canon anymore.
*Insert witty Plague Inc joke here*

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 6:49 am

The Free Joy State wrote:You are in an extreme minority. Most people don't want to have to wake a pre-schooler from naptime to tell them "I'm sorry, kiddo... it's lung cancer."

How are they vulnerable though? Yes they may be more impulsive, but a world with the most impulsive inhabitants empowered can only end up as a good thing.

Yeah, it could. But the chance is like, what, 1 in a trillion? Greta Thunberg is just a prodigy, she's the exception, not the rule.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 6:50 am

Icelandic Military Junta wrote:
Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Common sense.

Nah, clearly this outbreak preventable illnesses in the western world is a cause of random chance and not the fact that vaccines are good for society.

Therefore, Vaccines still bad

Shut your Trotskyite ass up or I'll gulag you.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 am

The Free Joy State wrote:You are in an extreme minority. Most people don't want to have to wake a pre-schooler from naptime to tell them "I'm sorry, kiddo... it's lung cancer."

Are you serious?

Children are smaller and physically weaker, meaning they can be harmed. They do not know right from wrong until about age seven, meaning that the unscrupulous can exploit them. They are more likely to be credulous and believe lies fed to them by people who do not have their best interests at heart (meaning that they can make poor decisions). Impulsivity can lead to them doing things that can cause irreparable damage to themselves or others.

We have laws to protect them against child marriage to protect them from being abused, laws to stop them smoking to prevent them damaging their bodies, laws to keep them out of the army to stop them seeing someone who looks cool in a uniform and going to get themselves killed.

These are all good laws. That you don't like them is just too fucking bad!

Adding mandatory vaccination of children would be another way to protect them from being killed or maimed before their life has begun, and while they are unfairly under the influence of their parents.

Children are children: small, immature and vulnerable, with sometimes faulty decision-making. Not smaller versions of adults.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:How are they vulnerable though? Yes they may be more impulsive, but a world with the most impulsive inhabitants empowered can only end up as a good thing.

Are you serious?

Children are smaller and physically weaker, meaning they can be harmed. They do not know right from wrong until about age seven, meaning that the unscrupulous can exploit them. They are more likely to be credulous and believe lies fed to them by people who do not have their best interests at heart (meaning that they can make poor decisions). Impulsivity can lead to them doing things that can cause irreparable damage to themselves or others.

We have laws to protect them against child marriage to protect them being abused, laws to stop them smoking to prevent them damaging their bodies, laws to keep them out of the army to stop them seeing someone who looks cool in a uniform and going to get themselves killed.

Adding mandatory vaccination would be another way to protect them from being killed or maimed before their life has begun, and while they are unfairly under the influence of their parents.

Children are children: small, immature and vulnerable, with sometimes faulty decision-making. Not smaller versions of adults.

That's true. Even teenagers couldn't be trusted to make major decisions. The best thing that an 11 year old can do is to babysit or lying about their age in a discord server. The best thing that a 9 year old could do is to stan PewDiePie.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 16, 2019 6:58 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:How are they vulnerable though? Yes they may be more impulsive, but a world with the most impulsive inhabitants empowered can only end up as a good thing.

Are you serious?

We have laws to protect them against child marriage to protect them from being abused, laws to stop them smoking to prevent them damaging their bodies, laws to keep them out of the army to stop them seeing someone who looks cool in a uniform and going to get themselves killed.

Adding mandatory vaccination of children would be another way to protect them from being killed or maimed before their life has begun, and while they are unfairly under the influence of their parents.

The empowerment of the human impulses, however, would lead to much better consequences in the long run. If we weren't taught to obsess over the effects of our decisions, for example, decisions could be made at a governmental level which completely changed or even ended the world.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 6:59 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Are you serious?

The empowerment of the human impulses, however, would lead to much better consequences in the long run. If we weren't taught to obsess over the effects of our decisions, for example, decisions could be made at a governmental level which completely changed or even ended the world.

Sounds like an 11 year old talking here... Stop lying about your age in NSG

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 16, 2019 7:01 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:The empowerment of the human impulses, however, would lead to much better consequences in the long run. If we weren't taught to obsess over the effects of our decisions, for example, decisions could be made at a governmental level which completely changed or even ended the world.

Sounds like an 11 year old talking here... Stop lying about your age in NSG

If I'm 11, I joined ns when I was 1 year old (first nation created aug 08, 2009), and I am perhaps Britains youngest student, given I completed the final exam to hopefully graduate with a law degree two days ago. I'm 22.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Sounds like an 11 year old talking here... Stop lying about your age in NSG

If I'm 11, I joined ns when I was 1 year old (first nation created aug 08, 2009), and I am perhaps Britains youngest student, given I completed the final exam to hopefully graduate with a law degree two days ago. I'm 22.

Ignorance is bliss. If you want to be happy for eternity, try ignorance.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If I'm 11, I joined ns when I was 1 year old (first nation created aug 08, 2009), and I am perhaps Britains youngest student, given I completed the final exam to hopefully graduate with a law degree two days ago. I'm 22.

Ignorance is bliss. If you want to be happy for eternity, try ignorance.

Sadly I can't ignore some of the rubbish in society...

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:

The boring bodily fluid kind or the substantially more interesting nuclear fusion kind?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 16, 2019 7:08 am

The Free Joy State wrote:Are you serious?

The ending of the world is not a good thing.

Some impulses should never be embraced. There are people in this world with impulses to do the most dreadful things to other people -- should they release their vile impulses? Not worry about the consequences of their horrid actions?

Of course not!

We protect man from the actions that can be inflicted by man.
  • That's why we have laws that can protect children from things that can harm them.
  • That's why we have laws that protect adults from each other.
  • That's why we vaccinate, and protect each other from those who incubate disease.

Inkopolitia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Inkopolitia » Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Sounds like an 11 year old talking here... Stop lying about your age in NSG

r/iamverysmart
squid
female who is (unapologetically) in love with females ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5.75, -5.33

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 am

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:Ignorance is bliss. If you want to be happy for eternity, try ignorance.

Sadly I can't ignore some of the rubbish in society...

Don’t talk about the speck in other’s eyes while ignoring the plank in your own
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Thu May 16, 2019 7:10 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:Sadly I can't ignore some of the rubbish in society...

Don’t talk about the speck in other’s eyes while ignoring the plank in your own

I don't think I've been talking rubbish in this thread

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Thu May 16, 2019 7:34 am

Neutraligon wrote:Don’t talk about the speck in other’s eyes while ignoring the plank in your own

And I do.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Evil Dictators Happyland
Senator

Founded: Aug 03, 2016
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Evil Dictators Happyland » Thu May 16, 2019 7:56 am

Neutraligon wrote:Don’t talk about the speck in other’s eyes while ignoring the plank in your own

Of course you don't. If you did, you wouldn't admit it anyway.
I don't really have a stake in this issue, but I've gotta say that Neutraglion's assessment is pretty much in line with what I've seen of you elsewhere.
Last edited by Evil Dictators Happyland on Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 am

This issue and the global warming issue would give me 1000 warnings for flaming

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Thu May 16, 2019 8:07 am

Wait your 22? Damn son I thought you where at least in your 30s
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Estanglia
Senator

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estanglia » Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 am

The Aria wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Some people are determined to see vaccines as bad and unnecessary.

And some people are determined to see vaccines as good and necessary

Because they are.

The Aria wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:FTFY.

Anti-vaxxers hold a dangerous, minority view. A view that leads to the deaths and injury of their children, to the deaths and injury of those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, and weakens herd immunity for everyone else.

Yes some of us do hold a view that vaccines are dangerous. A thing that can kill thousands of people

Point us to the thousands of people killed by vaccines.

The Aria wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Thousands?

Vaccines are very well tolerated, and definitely better than the potentially fatal risks of diseases like measles.

Bring me evidence to prove otherwise. Official sources (government websites, health sources, medical journals), not eek-vaccines-will-kill-you.com

You say bring me evidence but then you restrict it to sources that will be from only one side...

Maybe there's a reason for that...

Like, oh, I don't know, most everyone who has even a shred of credibility knowing that vaccines don't kill?

The Aria wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Dude, vaccines are older than the government.

The agendas of the people in the government aren't

Ah yes, The Evil Health AgendaTM!

Secretly plotting to save your kids since 1796!

The Aria wrote:Its kinda unfair its 1vs5 here, i cant think about all your points at the same time.

Maybe if anti-vaxers got as much funding as vaxers we could prove the truth to you with fancy sources, but that probably wont happen because people dont want to be wrong

Anyways i need to go, its getting late.

We already have the truth.
Yeah: Egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Labour, the EU
Nah: pointless discrimination, authoritarianism, Brexit, Trump, both American parties, the Conservatives
I flop between "optimistic about the future" and "pessimistic about the future" every time I go on NSG.

(Taken 29/08/2020)
Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.05

8values thinks I'm a Libertarian Socialist.

Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General