NATION

PASSWORD

Hundreds quarantined for measles in 2 CA universities.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Actually, women have already been prosecuted in the US for stillbirths (using existing laws). I linked to a study, here on the abortion thread.

There's something exceptionally wrong there.

Yes, there is.

Gormwood wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Actually, women have already been prosecuted in the US for stillbirths (using existing laws). I linked to a study, here on the abortion thread.

"I'm sorry for your loss, but you're going to prison you baby killer!"

TBF, they probably didn't even say "Sorry for your loss", but otherwise that seems to be the measure of it.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 9:56 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:Probably not long, but you'd have to prove some kind of intent or reckless endangerment.

The problem is there isn't a generally accepted answer to what caused a miscarriage. States like Georgia and Alabama will take a stance (IMHO) of guilty until proven innocent in these matters. Especially when people find ways to force a termination.....

Which is probably why we shouldn't, just as a suggestion, tell them they were right to restrict women's bodily autonomy to save the life of another.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Why is there discussion about alabama's abortion in a thread about measles in california?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm

Kaystein wrote:Why is there discussion about alabama's abortion in a thread about measles in california?

A few people here suggested it's ok to use the state to violate a person's bodily autonomy to protect a third party from harm.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Aria
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aria » Tue May 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Whos to say vaccinations work.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue May 14, 2019 10:06 pm

The Aria wrote:Whos to say vaccinations work.

Science, history and the growing human population.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

The Aria
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aria » Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Gormwood wrote:
The Aria wrote:Whos to say vaccinations work.

Science, history and the growing human population.

What science and history?

Kaystein
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaystein » Tue May 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Galloism wrote:
Kaystein wrote:Why is there discussion about alabama's abortion in a thread about measles in california?

A few people here suggested it's ok to use the state to violate a person's bodily autonomy to protect a third party from harm.

Shouldn't you just quote the people and make a new thread for it, or just move that topic to the alabama abortion thread then?

It doesn't matter if people are professing to be cannibals, I think we should respect the rules somewhat and not be lazy.

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Tue May 14, 2019 10:16 pm

The Aria wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Science, history and the growing human population.

It would be a shock if you never got vaccinated and didn't get infected.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Kaystein wrote:
Galloism wrote:A few people here suggested it's ok to use the state to violate a person's bodily autonomy to protect a third party from harm.

Shouldn't you just quote the people and make a new thread for it, or just move that topic to the alabama abortion thread then?

It doesn't matter if people are professing to be cannibals, I think we should respect the rules somewhat and not be lazy.

It's relevant. If you read back, you'll see why.

I suggest starting here. There's a little before that, but that's where we hit the nail on the head.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 14, 2019 10:20 pm

Kaystein wrote:
Galloism wrote:A few people here suggested it's ok to use the state to violate a person's bodily autonomy to protect a third party from harm.

Hmmmmm no not really. Body autonomy comes up in vaccines all the time. You can't escape the moral argument aspects either. Take smallpox for example. Vaccines eliminated it from the world. The remnant remains in labs. The moral argument? Do we have a right to make a life form extinct by force?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

The Aria
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aria » Tue May 14, 2019 10:21 pm

Gormwood wrote:
The Aria wrote:What science and history?

It would be a shock if you never got vaccinated and didn't get infected.

For some people sure for others no

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 pm

The Aria wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Science, history and the growing human population.

A list of vaccine preventable diseases.
How Vaccines Prevent Disease
How Do Vaccines Work
Herd Immunity and Vaccines
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 10:26 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Kaystein wrote:

Hmmmmm no not really. Body autonomy comes up in vaccines all the time. You can't escape the moral argument aspects either. Take smallpox for example. Vaccines eliminated it from the world. The remnant remains in labs. The moral argument? Do we have a right to make a life form extinct by force?

I mean, when it comes to making other life forms extinct, haven't we done that a number of times already just in the last couple centuries?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue May 14, 2019 10:27 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Kaystein wrote:

Yeah... no.

This isn't that episode of Dr. Who when he debates if he can wipe out the Daleks. Smallpox isn't a thinking or feeling thing. It's questionably even alive.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

I mean, when it comes to making other life forms extinct, haven't we done that a number of times already just in the last couple centuries?

Ahh true. But were those efforts a conscious effort to eliminate them? The case of smallpox would be conscious effort. Granted I am leaving out the arguments of keeping them around as other might still keep them for weapon purposes which wouldn't suit the thread.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:I mean, when it comes to making other life forms extinct, haven't we done that a number of times already just in the last couple centuries?

Ahh true. But were those efforts a conscious effort to eliminate them? The case of smallpox would be conscious effort. Granted I am leaving out the arguments of keeping them around as other might still keep them for weapon purposes which wouldn't suit the thread.

Well, I'd keep smallpox around in a lab for research purposes - just in case we need it. The HIV thing comes to mind. But that has nothing to do with ethics and everything to do with you never know if you might need it after you destroy it.
Last edited by Galloism on Tue May 14, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 14, 2019 10:33 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Yeah... no.

This isn't that episode of Dr. Who when he debates if he can wipe out the Daleks. Smallpox isn't a thinking or feeling thing. It's questionably even alive.

Actually yes. This has been debated in those circles. Small pox is a life form but let's not distract the thread.....

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 14, 2019 10:35 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

Well, I'd keep smallpox around in a lab for research purposes - just in case we need it. The HIV thing comes to mind. But that has nothing to do with ethics and everything to do with you never know if you might need it after you destroy it.

There is an argument for that as I can think of one or two "cousins" have been seen which freaked people out.

The problem is we are no longer immune to it. If it got out of the lab.....it would be nasty. Vaccine makers couldn't fill the need fast enough.....
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Aria
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Aria » Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm

I found it ironic that one of your sources says you need to give vaccines to baby's while another one of your sources says you cant give vaccines to babies because there immunity system cant handle it

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, I'd keep smallpox around in a lab for research purposes - just in case we need it. The HIV thing comes to mind. But that has nothing to do with ethics and everything to do with you never know if you might need it after you destroy it.

There is an argument for that as I can think of one or two "cousins" have been seen which freaked people out.

The problem is we are no longer immune to it. If it got out of the lab.....it would be nasty. Vaccine makers could fill the need fast enough.....

Well, we do need to guard the shit out of it.

(I'm immune to smallpox, but I'm old.)

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 14, 2019 10:37 pm

The Aria wrote:

I found it ironic that one of your sources says you need to give vaccines to baby's while another one of your sources says you cant give vaccines to babies because there immunity system cant handle it

Which two? Curious to see if you are misreading it.....

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue May 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Galloism wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

The problem is we are no longer immune to it. If it got out of the lab.....it would be nasty. Vaccine makers could fill the need fast enough.....

Well, we do need to guard the shit out of it.

When did you get the vaccine? Work in areas where it was still an issue at the time?

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue May 14, 2019 10:39 pm

The Aria wrote:

It depends on the vaccine and the age of the baby.

Physicians aren't banging rocks together, there's a reason why all these vaccines come with a recommended age. They're given when they're most likely to do the most good.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Tue May 14, 2019 10:40 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well, we do need to guard the shit out of it.

When did you get the vaccine? Work in areas where it was still an issue at the time?

At the time, it was a requirement to attend college. Public schools had eliminated it as a requirement, but my chosen college still required it before you could attend, so I got it when I was like... 16 or 17. Something like that.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General