NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Quarantine Quandry

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Quarantine Quandry

Postby Woods Is Back » Thu May 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Validity- Has Immigration

The Issue- Yesterday, several dozen immigrants from the nation of Brasilistan were released from @@DENONYM@@ quarantine. However, reports have emerged that two children died because of neglect from the quarantine officers in the three weeks that they were confined. After several such mistakes, the issue has been brought to your attention.

Option 1-"What do you think my child and I are, filthy plague rats? Well, we're not!" fumes one of the immigrants who lost their children, @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining people for three weeks with practically no reason is preposterous! And on top of that, you forget about us, and let little @@RANDOMNAME@@ starve to death? This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Get rid of quarantine and let people cross this border freely!"
O1 Fallout- the banning of quarantine facilities has left @@NATIONNAME@@ full of exotic diseases

Option 2- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's simply too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Although this mishap was unfortunate, it still stands that quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation. You don't want a pandemic on your hands, do you? It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."
O2 Fallout- its harder to get out of quarantine than most prisons

Option 3- “Those foreigners are just like what they are bringing into our nation: parasites!” Exclaims your overly-eccentric emigration advisor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has a stack of deportation papers clenched in @@THEIR@@ hands. “Its probably for the best that those children died in there; that means there are less of them to worry about. We should send those damned foreigners home, before they corrupt our culture, and undermine our nation!”
O3 Fallout- not being born in @@NATIONNAME@@ is perceived as an illness

Option 4- "All this quarantine talk has got me thinking," says General @@RANDOMNAME@@, bringing the scent of starched clothing and gun polish into your office. "What if we collected parasites and diseases from immigrants and tourists to make bio-weapons out of them? Rather than just sit here passively letting the world expose us to their toxins, we should be engaging in active research and experimentation. We can cure pandemics and foreign militarism alike with a dose of proper military discipline!"
O4 Fallout- neighboring nations have banned tourism to @@NATIONNAME@@ for fear of strengthening their military

The Issue- Immigrants from Blackacre were stuck in @DENONYM@@ quarantine for three days while quarantine officers checked them for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in their country. The angry immigrants are now kicking up a storm about being checked meticulously, and being held in isolation against their will.

Option 1-"What do you think I am, some kind of filthy plague rat? Well, I'm not!" fumes one of the immigrants, @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! And on top of that, you check every part of me, with surgical precision, while I'm in isolation! This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Get rid of quarantine and let people cross this border freely!"
O1 Fallout- the banning of quarantine has left @@NATIONNAME@@ full of exotic diseases

Option 2- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's simply too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation, and also keep a pandemic off of our hands, even if that means being extremely thorough with out search. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."
O2 Fallout- its harder to get out of quarantine than most prisons

Option 3- “Those foreigners are just like what they are bringing into our nation: parasites!” Exclaims your overly-eccentric emigration advisor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has a stack of deportation papers clenched in @@THEIR@@ hands. “We should send those damned foreigners home, before they corrupt our culture, and undermine our nation!”
O3 Fallout- immigrants are asked to pack up and leave: or face the consequences

Option 4- "All this quarantine talk has got me thinking," says General @@RANDOMNAME@@, bringing the scent of starched clothing and gun polish into your office. "What if we collected parasites and diseases from immigrants and tourists to make bio-weapons out of them? Rather than just sit here passively letting the world expose us to their toxins, we should be engaging in active research and experimentation. We can cure pandemics and foreign militarism alike with a dose of proper military discipline!"
O4 Fallout- neighboring nations have banned tourism to @@NATIONNAME@@ for fear of strengthening their military

The Issue- Immigrants from Ausblic were stuck in @@DENONYM@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked them for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in their country. The immigrants also were not allowed to bring their pets with them, as it is against @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine policies. The angry immigrants are now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Option 1-"What do you think my pet and I are, some kind of filthy plague rats? Well were not!" fumes one of the immigrants, @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! And even worse, you keep my pets from entering? What is sweet little @@RANDOMNAME@@ gonna do without me? This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Can quarantine and let people cross this border freely!"
O1 Fallout- The banning of quarantine has left @@NATIONNAME@@ full of exotic diseases, and exotic animals

Option 2- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's simply too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases, and exotic wild vermin before they enter and infect our nation, and also keep a pandemic off our hands. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."
O2 Fallout- Its harder to get out of quarantine than most prisons

Option 3- “Those foreigners are just like what they are bringing into our nation: parasites!” Exclaims your overly-eccentric emigration advisor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has a stack of deportation papers clenched his hands. “We should send those damned foreigners home, before they corrupt our culture, and undermine our nation!”
O3 Fallout- Immigrants are asked to pack up and leave: or face the consequences

O4 Fallout- Neighboring nations have banned tourism to @@NATIONNAME@@ for fear of strengthening their military

The Issue- Immigrants from Ausblic were stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked them for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in their country. The angry immigrants are now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Option 1-"What do you think I am, some kind of filthy plague rat? Well I'm not!" fumes one of the immigrants, @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Can quarantine and let people cross this border freely!"
O1 Fallout- The banning of quarantine has left @@NATIONNAME@@ full of exotic diseases

Option 2- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's simply too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation, and also keep a pandemic off our hands. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."

Option 3- “Those foreigners are just like what they are bringing into our nation: parasites!” Exclaims your overly-eccentric emigration advisor, @@RANDOMNAME@@, who has a stack of deportation papers clenched his hands. “We should send those damned foreigners home, before they corrupt our culture, and undermine our nation!”
O3 Fallout- Immigrants are asked to pack up and leave: or face the consequences

O4 Fallout- Neighboring nations have banned tourism to @@NATIONNAME@@ for fear of strengthening their military

The Issue- Blackacre immigrants were stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. They are now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Option 1-"What do you think I am, some kind of filthy plague rat? Well I'm not!" fumes one of the immigrants, @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Can quarantine and let people cross this border freely!"
O1 Fallout- The banning of quarantine has left @@NATIONNAME@@ full of exotic diseases

Option 2- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's simply too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."

Option 3- "All this quarantine talk has got me thinking," says General @@RANDOMNAME@@, bringing the scent of starched clothing and gun polish into your office. "What if we collected parasites and diseases from immigrants and tourists to make bio-weapons out of them? Rather than just sit here passively letting the world expose us to their toxins, we should be engaging in active research and experimentation. We can cure pandemics and foreign militarism alike with a dose of proper military discipline!"
O3 Fallout- Neighboring nations have banned tourism to @@NATIONNAME@@ for fear of strengthening their military

The Issue- A Blackacre immigrant, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. With the help of a domestic businessperson who they founded a business with attempted to bail them out, and failed, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Option 1-"What do you think I am, some kind of filthy plague rat? Well I'm not!" fumes @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Can quarantine and let people cross this border freely!"

Option 2-The perfectly groomed businessperson @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, who has been using @@HER@@ media contacts to escalate this issue, has this to say. "It is simply appalling that my valued overseas business partner was held in that dreadful facility. Blackacre is a sophisticated modern nation, at least occasionally, and it is I say again appalling that trade is being hindered by these quarantine procedures. Isn't it time we admit that disease is a predilection wholly of the unwashed classes? Let anyone who can prove adequate wealth to customs expedite processing."
O2 Fallout- Epidemiologists are noticing increased disease incidence among the nation's business people

Option 3- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's simply too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."

O3 Fallout- Neighboring nations have banned tourism to @@NATIONNAME@@ for fear of strengthening their military
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 35 times in total.
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 pm

"Quell" is not the word you're looking for. Not sure what you meant, but quell definitely doesn't fit.

Also, I'm not sold on this premise without some explanation of why he was held that long in the first place.
Last edited by The Sherpa Empire on Thu May 09, 2019 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Mon May 13, 2019 12:47 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:"Quell" is not the word you're looking for. Not sure what you meant, but quell definitely doesn't fit.

Also, I'm not sold on this premise without some explanation of why he was held that long in the first place.

I fixed this, other suggestions?
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

Noroo Tusdeta
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Noroo Tusdeta » Mon May 13, 2019 5:00 pm

"Raising quell" is more wrong than saying "kithing up a storm" would be. (Not that I would recommend using it, but kithing is an archaic word that would be technically valid in that sentence AFAIK.)

How'd this random immigrant manage to get noticed on the national stage? Not that it's a critical issue, of course; all sorts of small issues come to the attention of dear @@LEADER@@ in NationStates. I'll include something about that. How about writing an option to let rich people buy their way past quarantine, since obviously anyone wealthy would be clean? Maybe even include a reference to the clean, hygienic scent of the petitioner.

Suggesting revisions...

The Issue- A blackacre immigrant, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days, while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. With the help of a domestic businessperson who they were planning to found a business with, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Option 1-"What do you think I am, some kind of filthy plague rat? Well I'm not!" fumes @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Can the quarantines and let people cross this border freely!"
O1 Fallout- the banning of quarantine has left @@NATIONNAME@@ full of exotic diseases

Option 2-The perfectly groomed businessperson @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ @@RANDOMFEMALENAME@@, who has been using @@HER@@ media contacts to escalate this issue, has this to say. "It is simply appalling that my valued overseas business partner was held in that dreadful facility. Blackacre is a sophisticated modern nation, at least occasionally, and it is I say again appalling that trade is being hindered by these quarantine procedures. Isn't it time we admit that disease is a predilection wholly of the unwashed classes? Let anyone who can prove adequate wealth to customs expedite processing."
O2 Fallout- Epidemiologists are noticing increased disease incidence among the nation's business people

Option 3- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."

Last edited by Noroo Tusdeta on Mon May 13, 2019 5:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
As of this signature's authoring (5/13/2019), all nations presently in Tusdeta are controlled by one player. The full alt list can be found here: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=1207785

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Mon May 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Noroo Tusdeta wrote:"Raising quell" is more wrong than saying "kithing up a storm" would be. (Not that I would recommend using it, but kithing is an archaic word that would be technically valid in that sentence AFAIK.)

How'd this random immigrant manage to get noticed on the national stage? Not that it's a critical issue, of course; all sorts of small issues come to the attention of dear @@LEADER@@ in NationStates. I'll include something about that. How about writing an option to let rich people buy their way past quarantine, since obviously anyone wealthy would be clean? Maybe even include a reference to the clean, hygienic scent of the petitioner.

Suggesting revisions...

The Issue- A blackacre immigrant, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days, while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. With the help of a domestic businessperson who they were planning to found a business with, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Option 1-"What do you think I am, some kind of filthy plague rat? Well I'm not!" fumes @@RANDOMNAME@@, unkempt but not unclean after three uncomfortable days in a medical confinement facility. "Quarantining a person for three days with practically no reason is preposterous! This practice is inhumane, xenophobic, and quite frankly useless. Can the quarantines and let people cross this border freely!"

Option 3- "@@LEADER@@, you can't ban quarantine, it's too important for the safety of @@NATIONNAME@@!" cries world-famous doctor @@RANDOMNAME@@, who smells like coffee and hand sanitizer. "Quarantine is needed to eradicate foreign diseases before they enter and infect our nation. It's not xenophobia; international law fully supports the establishment of quarantine procedures where necessary."

Thanks! I'm gonna edit a little

-Raymond Reddington

The Marsupial Illuminati
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2016
Free-Market Paradise

Postby The Marsupial Illuminati » Tue May 14, 2019 4:59 am

You should not submit issues after only a short period of drafting.
ὁ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue May 14, 2019 7:43 am

The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:You should not submit issues after only a short period of drafting.

Doing so would make the title true ;)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue May 14, 2019 9:01 am

Chan Island wrote:
The Marsupial Illuminati wrote:You should not submit issues after only a short period of drafting.

Is there any way to fix it and resubmit it?

-Raymond Reddington

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am

Woods Is Back wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

Is there any way to fix it and resubmit it?

I mean, you can, there's nothing technically stopping you.

Just the editors don't like having the same issue submitted to them multiple times.
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue May 14, 2019 9:07 am

Chan Island wrote:
Woods Is Back wrote:Is there any way to fix it and resubmit it?

Just the editors don't like having the same issue submitted to them multiple times.

I see. I'll resubmit only once, and do you have any suggestions?

-Raymond Reddington

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue May 14, 2019 1:49 pm

Any suggested edits, or name edits?

-Raymond Reddington

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Tue May 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:[box]The Issue- A Blackacre immigrant, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. With the help of a domestic businessperson who they were planning to found a business with, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

There's got to be more to the issue than just the fact that an inbound traveler was subject to quarantine. I mean, the logic of medical screening and quarantine at national borders is pretty rock solid, and is probably a power that every single state ever is going to claim for obvious reasons. It's so patently obvious that even the most fit and healthy people returning from what was expected to be the most sterile surface in the local solar system were subject to quarantine on the most infinitesimally remote chance. Justifying quarantine on the basis of measurable medical evidence of known diseases is beyond trivial by comparison.

So what actually happened here? Did it turn out the test was a false positive? Some googling suggests that might be difficult in the veracity department too; aircraft full of people get special screening when some passengers show flu-like symptoms, and the vast majority are cleared and sent on their way almost immediately (which you want since the longer they hang around, the more likely you'll get more sick people) and those who test sick proceed to the nearest hospital (cause you'd only isolate/quarantine for something that serious) and are probably grateful for the treatment (cause they're that sick) if not necessarily the bill (<-- hint).

What's the issue here?
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Tue May 14, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue May 14, 2019 5:53 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:There's got to be more to the issue than just the fact that an inbound traveler was subject to quarantine. I mean, the logic of medical screening and quarantine at national borders is pretty rock solid, and is probably a power that every single state ever is going to claim for obvious reasons. It's so patently obvious that even the most fit and healthy people returning from what was expected to be the most sterile surface in the local solar system were subject to quarantine on the most infinitesimally remote chance. Justifying quarantine on the basis of measurable medical evidence of known diseases is beyond trivial by comparison.
What's the issue here?

The issue is people don't like quarantine, and rich people bribing their way out of it. I edited the premise, as I saw how it was slightly misleading.
Woods Is Back wrote:The Issue- A Blackacre immigrant, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. With the help of a domestic businessperson who they founded a business with attempted to bail them out, and failed, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Raymond Reddington

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Woods Is Back wrote:The issue is people don't like quarantine, and rich people bribing their way out of it. I edited the premise, as I saw how it was slightly misleading.

The Issue- A Blackacre immigrant, @@RANDOMNAME@@, was stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. With the help of a domestic businessperson who they founded a business with attempted to bail them out, and failed, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Is simple bribery really adequate? Bribery is a crime, or at least considered pretty bad, by definition. The issue would essentially be "should your corruption stat go up or down?"

Besides which, the issue options don't really address the issue of bribery anyway. The description just assumes the attempt failed, and we're back to debating quarantine again. If we're going to debate medical quarantine itself, then what is the compelling anti- argument? "Rich snob can't be bothered" doesn't really hack it; it's not particularly compelling, and the public good argument of option 3 is too obviously correct by comparison. (also, what's the effective difference between Options 1 and 2?)

Also, "bail" and "bribery" are not really the same concepts. "Bail" is a set of conditions placed on a person to ensure compliance with a trial proceedings (Well, actually, it's a way for rich people to live comfortably at home with enhanced access to financial and legal resources, as opposed to the poor garbage in jail with limited access to the same, etc etc.). "Bribery" is an act of corruption were one party pays a second on the understanding that the favor will be returned in some way.

"Bail" doesn't really apply to the medical quarantine situation since the isolated person isn't really being charged or tried with anything. And it wouldn't really make sense to release someone with a dangerous communicable disease in any case.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 am

Woods Is Back wrote:
Chan Island wrote:

I see. I'll resubmit only once, and do you have any suggestions?

Yes- patience.

A good draft stays here for days, sometimes even weeks. Sometimes a draft disappears, reemerges 6 months later and still gets the green light after all of the critique.

Remember there are over a million users on nationstates, and virtually all of them will be eligible to get the issue. Quality matters. And quality is reached with many voices.

That s all.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Wait. Wasn't everybody on that flight from Blackacre? Why wasn't everyone detained?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:
Woods Is Back wrote:The issue is people don't like quarantine, and rich people bribing their way out of it. I edited the premise, as I saw how it was slightly misleading.

Is simple bribery really adequate? Bribery is a crime, or at least considered pretty bad, by definition. The issue would essentially be "should your corruption stat go up or down?"

-SNIP-

To address this, I have completely removed option 2, while changing the premise, so it was more focused on this-
Australian rePublic wrote:Wait. Wasn't everybody on that flight from Blackacre? Why wasn't everyone detained?

Leading to this-
Woods Is Back wrote:The Issue- Blackacre immigrants were stuck in @@NATIONNAME@@s quarantine for three days while officers checked @@THEM@@ for Rubellan Measles, which had a recent outbreak in Blackacre. They are now kicking up a storm about the situation.
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Thu May 16, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Raymond Reddington

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Fri May 17, 2019 5:56 am

A group of immigrants is complaining about a fairly standard quarantine check on entry? Why isn't there a "Send the ungrateful wretches back where they came from!" option?
Last edited by Bears Armed on Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 am

Bears Armed wrote:A group of immigrants is complaining about a fairly standard quarantine check on entry? Why isn't there a "Send the ungrateful wretches back where they came from!" option?

Ooh, didnt think of that. Thanks!

EDIT: Draft 3 is up!
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Thu May 23, 2019 9:56 am, edited 4 times in total.

-Raymond Reddington

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Bump

-Raymond Reddington

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Sat May 25, 2019 10:22 am

Is it possible to submit soon?

Or get more feedback?

-Raymond Reddington

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sun May 26, 2019 10:30 am

It looks like a mostly-plausible situation to me, but it also strikes me as kinda bland.

(spoilered irrelevant critiques.)
Also

With the help of a domestic businessperson who they founded a business with attempted to bail them out, and failed, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Wait, someone tried to bail them out of quarantine? Careful with your word choice, as anything related to “bailing out” “posting bail” definately does not apply here.

In my opinion, however, even if they were quarantined upon their arrival in @@NAME@@, it doesn’t strike me as particularly controversial, it seems like an entirely reasonable precaution...unless (juicy reason thing) happened in the process. :)

Good luck!
Last edited by Candensia on Sun May 26, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Sun May 26, 2019 11:10 am

Candensia wrote:It looks like a mostly-plausible situation to me, but it also strikes me as kinda bland.

Also

With the help of a domestic businessperson who they founded a business with attempted to bail them out, and failed, @@NAME@@ is now kicking up a storm about the situation.

Wait, someone tried to bail them out of quarantine? Careful with your word choice, as anything related to “bailing out” “posting bail” definately does not apply here.

In my opinion, however, even if they were quarantined upon their arrival in @@NAME@@, it doesn’t strike me as particularly controversial, it seems like an entirely reasonable precaution...unless (juicy reason thing) happened in the process. :)

Good luck!

Thanks! But I don't believe that your not looking at the most recent draft. I removed the whole bribery issue, in favor of "why is their quarantine" kind of issue.
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Sun May 26, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Raymond Reddington

Candensia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 20, 2017

Postby Candensia » Sun May 26, 2019 11:15 am

My apologies. Please disregard all but my first sentence, then.
The Free Joy State wrote:Time spent working on writing skills -- even if the draft doesn't work -- is never wasted.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Mon May 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Candensia wrote:My apologies. Please disregard all but my first sentence, then.

I slightly spiced up options 2 and 3

Are there any other places that you were thinking?

I am changing Blackacre to Ausblic, as on the NS website it said that Ausblic was used for some issues written by Australian rEpublic, who gave me the idea for this issue. They gave me the idea for this issue, so mind as well return the favor, and kinda put 'em in the issue.

Does the premise read ok, or is it clunky? I can't decide.
Last edited by Woods Is Back on Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

-Raymond Reddington

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?