NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Guilt Plain To See

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

[DRAFT] Guilt Plain To See

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Thu May 09, 2019 3:02 am

SECOND DRAFT:

TITLE:
Guilt Plain To See

VALIDITY:
Free press, neither very low or very high right to privacy,

DESCRIPTION:
Tabloid newspaper The Diurnal Mail recently published a list of sex offenders' names and addresses -- leaked, they said, from the government's registry. Angry citizens then took it on themselves to enact "justice", mailing death threats, hurling eggs and bricks at windows, and in one incident delivering a fatal beating. However, it has since emerged that the list wasn't even a genuine one, and was actually the membership roll of a fly-fishing club, anonymously sent in by an unknown prankster.

OPTION 1
"The problem here is idiotic vigilantism," opines @@randomfemalename@@, renowned feminist author. "I blame movies and media, with their glorification of angry superheroes and rogue cops. To improve our culture we must teach our children about the dangers of toxic masculinity, and force film-makers to send more positive messages. Less violent retribution, more sensible restitution!"
OUTCOME:
movie super-hero teams save the world by finding sensible compromises with their enemies

OPTION 2
"Clearly this is the fault of journos not checking their facts," argues self-appointed 'Consumer Watchdog' @@randommalename@@, tossing a bag of stained clothes and a broken cricket bat onto a bonfire of tabloid newspapers. "They put out bad information, so they killed that innocent man. You should be beating down on fake news, make the media pay for their lies."
OUTCOME:
newspapers that contain incorrect weather forecasts are branded as criminals

OPTION 3
"The fact that edition sold so well shows that the people wanted this information," defends Mail journalist @@randomname@@. "If you, the government, were more transparent in allowing the public to access your registry of sex offenders, then we wouldn't have been forced to look for one. So it's your fault - take some responsibility!"
OUTCOME:
lynch mobs can use a government-sponsored app to locate their victims

OPTION 4
"The problem here is that the registry exists at all," rants former school-teacher @@randomname@@, who was dismissed from @@HIS@@ post last year under hushed-up circumstances. "You're implying that there's a category of people defined by a single mistake. That creates legal and social prejudice. Stop tracking criminal records, and let people be judged for who they are now, not what they might have done in the past."
OUTCOME:
many swimming instructors are former teachers

FIRST DRAFT:
TITLE:
Guilt Plain To See

VALIDITY:
Free press

DESCRIPTION:
Tabloid newspaper The Diurnal Mail recently published a list of sex offenders' names and addresses -- leaked, they said, from the government's registry. Angry citizens then took it on themselves to enact "justice", mailing death threats, hurling eggs and bricks at windows, and in one incident delivering a fatal beating. However, it has since emerged that the list wasn't even a genuine one, and was actually the membership roll of a fly-fishing club, anonymously sent in by an unknown prankster.

OPTION 1
"The problem here is idiotic vigilantism," opines @@randomfemalename@@, renowned feminist author. "I blame movies and media, with their glorification of angry supermen, rogue cops and personal vendettas. We need to improve our culture. We must teach our children about the dangers of toxic masculinity, and force film-makers to send more positive messages about the inherent limitations of violent solutions."
OUTCOME:
movie super-hero teams save the world by finding sensible compromises with their enemies

OPTION 2
"No, look, clearly this is the fault of journos not checking their facts," argues self-appointed 'Consumer Watchdog' @@randommalename@@, tossing a bag of stained clothes and a broken cricket bat onto a bonfire of tabloid newspapers. "If they put bad information like that out, then they're the ones who killed that innocent man. You should be beating down on fake news, make the media pay for their lies."
OUTCOME:
newspapers that contain incorrect weather forecasts are branded as criminals

OPTION 3
"The fact that edition sold so well shows that the people wanted this information," defends Mail journalist @@randomname@@. "If you, the government, were transparent in allowing the public to access your registry of sex offenders, then we wouldn't have been forced to look for one. So it's your fault - take some responsibility!"
OUTCOME:
lynch mobs can use a government-sponsored app to locate their victims

OPTION 4
"The problem here is creating a category of people defined by one small mistake," rants former school-teacher @@randomname@@, who was dismissed from @@HIS@@ post last year under hushed-up circumstances. "The criminal record of an individual should be known only to the offender and to the police. Telling anyone else about someone's convictions just breeds prejudice, and is an infringement on the civil liberties of those who have already paid their debt to society."
OUTCOME:
many swimming instructors are former teachers
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue May 14, 2019 5:23 am, edited 7 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 am

A good one!
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Founded: Jan 15, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Fri May 10, 2019 12:02 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Tabloid newspaper The Diurnal Mail recently published an list

Should say "a list" instead of "an list."
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.
Alternate IC names: Sherpaland, Pharak

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri May 10, 2019 2:46 am

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Tabloid newspaper The Diurnal Mail recently published an list

Should say "a list" instead of "an list."

You pass the test!

Actually, no, I'm just terrible with attention to detaill.

Fixedd.

Decu Caine
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Decu Caine » Fri May 10, 2019 8:30 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
"No, look, clearly this is the fault of journos not checking their facts," argues self-appointed 'Consumer Watchdog' @@randommalename@@

Is there a reason for this to be specifically a male name? I believe that any name would suffice here, male or female.
"Learning never exhausts the mind." -Leonardo da Vinci
Kannap wrote:Change is good, try it some time.

Economic: -5.75
Social: -5.44
Democratic republic with a very strong economy valuing civil rights and political freedom.
Gay male, Yang supporter, avid 90's rock fan.
Check out Decu Caine's official website! decucaine.cf
Only NS Civil Rights, Economy, and Political Freedom are used.

Depackya
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Depackya » Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Decu Caine wrote:

Is there a reason for this to be specifically a male name? I believe that any name would suffice here, male or female.

I disagree, I think that a male comeback against the feminist's argument would work better.

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"I blame movies and media, with it's glorification...

"It's" would be "its" in this instance. Just looking at the tiny things! Other than that, I couldn't find anything. Well-written issue.
Last edited by Depackya on Fri May 10, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hail the Confederation!
Depackya | Mouth and Will of the Emperor | Confederation of Corrupt Dictators
"Liberty is Overrated."
Yes, this nation uses NS Stats. Yes, my citizens live to 26 24 yrs old.
All posts are OOC unless marked otherwise.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Fri May 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Depackya wrote:
Candlewhisper Archive wrote:"I blame movies and media, with it's glorification...

"It's" would be "its" in this instance. Just looking at the tiny things! Other than that, I couldn't find anything. Well-written issue.

"Their" works better than "its."
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།
Following new legislation in The Sherpa Empire, life is short but human kindness is endless.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun May 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Depackya wrote:I disagree, I think that a male comeback against the feminist's argument would work better.

Exactly that, I don't fix genders lightly, and tend to default to randomised genders. The fixed male gender here is to give extra weight to option 1's arguments about toxic masculinity, as it's meant to be obvious that option 2's speaker was one of the guys who just beat someone to death out of a misplaced sense of justice.

Man, I am ALWAYS doing that. Will fix it, thanks.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Sun May 12, 2019 2:26 pm

The Sherpa Empire wrote:
Depackya wrote:

"Their" works better than "its."

Good point.

Have made the change within the current draft, as it's a small one.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Sun May 12, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Umpus
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Umpus » Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 pm

You should add an option to make lynching legal.
Liriena wrote:No, you see, T_D seriously talking about killing Muslims, immigrants, "degenerates" and cops is free speech. But when a leftist subreddit jokes about wedgies and milkshakes, that's horrifying advocacy for violence and it cannot stand.
Duvniask wrote:One apparently can't criticize the country one lives in, or, God forbid, want to better it.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The left does this and the left does that

The left blahgalaghalag and the Left Halghalghalg

THE LEFT Alahahhaafhg
A 16 civilization, according to this index.

The Sherpa Empire
Minister

Postby The Sherpa Empire » Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Umpus wrote:You should add an option to make lynching legal.

I think that would fit better in an issue where the "sex offenders" are actually sex offenders and not a fishing club.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun May 12, 2019 5:35 pm

Options 3 and 4 contradict eachother. 3 suggests that this info isn't publically avaliable, whilst 4 suggests that it is
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Options 3 and 4 contradict eachother. 3 suggests that this info isn't publically avaliable, whilst 4 suggests that it is

Hmm, you're entirely right.

I'll start work on Draft 2 to address that.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 14, 2019 5:22 am

Draft 2 hopefully addresses those concerns now. The default assumption here is that a register exists but is not public. That may be too assumptive, but I think we can make that work backstage with validity checks.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed May 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:Draft 2 hopefully addresses those concerns now. The default assumption here is that a register exists but is not public. That may be too assumptive, but I think we can make that work backstage with validity checks.

Better...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Fri May 17, 2019 2:10 pm

Don’t we basically have this covered? We have 271 (and more) to deal with vigilantes, definitely multiple issues pertaining to false data, definitely stuff about wiping criminal records clean. We don’t have any issues about the sex offenders register so far as I can tell, but that seems like one new option and a lot of redundant material.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon May 20, 2019 12:46 am

Fauxia wrote:Don’t we basically have this covered? We have 271 (and more) to deal with vigilantes, definitely multiple issues pertaining to false data, definitely stuff about wiping criminal records clean. We don’t have any issues about the sex offenders register so far as I can tell, but that seems like one new option and a lot of redundant material.

217 is about Batman, pretty much. Definitely feels different.

Probably the closest overlap is 743, Here There and Everywhere, but to me an (apparent) sex offenders register feels like something different to an ethnic minority.

You'll have to point me to the other overlaps, I can't currently find them.

Fauxia
Senator

Founded: Dec 22, 2016

Postby Fauxia » Mon May 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Fauxia wrote:Don’t we basically have this covered? We have 271 (and more) to deal with vigilantes, definitely multiple issues pertaining to false data, definitely stuff about wiping criminal records clean. We don’t have any issues about the sex offenders register so far as I can tell, but that seems like one new option and a lot of redundant material.

217 is about Batman, pretty much. Definitely feels different.

Probably the closest overlap is 743, Here There and Everywhere, but to me an (apparent) sex offenders register feels like something different to an ethnic minority.

You'll have to point me to the other overlaps, I can't currently find them.

If you think the vigilantism is different enough, I’m not going to argue the point, there’s probably enough different.
Reploid Productions wrote:Unfortunately, Max still won't buy the mods elite ninja assassin squads to use, so... no such luck.
Sandaoguo wrote:GP is a den of cynics and nihilists
My opinions do not represent any NS governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), any RL governments I may happen to be in (yeah right), the CIA, the NSA, the FBI. the Freemasons, the Illuminati, Opus Dei, the Knights Templar, the Organization for the Advancement of Cultural Marxism, Opus Dei, or any other organization. Unless I say they do, in which case, there is a nonzero chance.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 am

For sure, we have a peer review process in place that strongly considers overlap, and always checks drafting threads, so this will be considered and reviewed by other editors making independent judgements. Always worth raising these things.

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Thu May 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:However, it has since emerged that the list wasn't even a genuine one, and was actually the membership roll of a fly-fishing club, anonymously sent in by an unknown prankster.

Feel like there should be a reference to (fly) swatting in there somewhere.
Last edited by Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners on Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Thu May 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:Feel like there should be a reference to (fly) swatting in there somewhere.
That's the opposite situation: the police being misled by false information from the public, rather than the public being misled by false information from the police (or at least that pretends to be from the police). Possibly better suited for its own issue.

Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 14, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners » Thu May 23, 2019 3:15 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners wrote:Feel like there should be a reference to (fly) swatting in there somewhere.
That's the opposite situation: the police being misled by false information from the public, rather than the public being misled by false information from the police (or at least that pretends to be from the police). Possibly better suited for its own issue.

True, I suppose. I had in mind California's Megan's Law which is an official published list (complete with warnings about criminal penalties for misuse), whereas the description says the list was in a newspaper. Fair enough.
IMPORTANT PRODUCT INFORMATION: While Autonomous Cleaner Bot Cleaners have a smart navigation system that avoids obstacles, the robot may occasionally bump into furniture, objects, pets and ideological assumptions. Therefore, if you have special objects and assumptions that could potentially be damaged by the bumping, remove these objects and assumptions from the room or use boundary markers. Additionally, refrain from looking into laser vision system with remaining eye.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?