NATION

PASSWORD

Random factoids you can't help but remember

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Random factoids you can't help but remember

Postby Esternial » Tue May 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Heya folks.

Usually I tend to recall random things. Utterly pointless things beyond perhaps an interesting conversation topic. I'm entirely convinced you lot also have plenty of seemingly useless knowledge sitting up there in your noggin', so I figured we might as well share it with eachother to step away from all this boring NSG debating and give ourselves the feeling like our mental storage space is being used properly.

Perhaps this may also be a good time to discuss those factoids? Maybe they're interesting, but just wrong? Might as well get other folks' input to get your facts straight.

To hit it off: I'll always remember the origin story of Fanta. It was invented in Nazi Germany when they couldn't get their hands on Coca Cola.
Last edited by Esternial on Tue May 07, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slotted Floppies
Envoy

Founded: Mar 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Slotted Floppies » Tue May 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Pepsi once had the worlds third largest navy.
Reheated Donuts.
Stalest sweet food on NSG

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Tue May 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Coca Cola was made with cocaine.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Tue May 07, 2019 2:01 pm

The Soviet Union was interested in whether apes could reproduce with humans but was afraid to push their experimentation too far.
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue May 07, 2019 2:02 pm

John F. Kennedy was commonly drugged out of his mind on painkillers.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

The plastic tips at the end of shoe laces are called "aglets." Their true purpose is sinister.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue May 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Alpacas are smaller than llamas.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 07, 2019 2:30 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:Alpacas are smaller than llamas.

Wait, they're different things? I always thought it was like a sheep/lamb/ram situation
Last edited by Heloin on Tue May 07, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Depackya
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Depackya » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Back before dentures were invented, people collected the teeth from the corpses of killed soldiers. The teeth would then be used as replacements in place of wood, glass, or other fragile teeth.

I honestly have no clue why the hell I remember that.
Last edited by Depackya on Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hail the Confederation!
Depackya | Mouth and Will of the Emperor | Confederation of Corrupt Dictators
"Liberty is Overrated."
Yes, this nation uses NS Stats. Yes, my citizens live to 26 24 yrs old.
All posts are OOC unless marked otherwise.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Lego started out making handcrafted wooden toys
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 pm

The average millionaire becomes one at nearly 59 years old, and has a less than 1/6 chance of doing so through inheritance.

Drummer Keith Moon died as a result of a massive overdose of Heminevrin - he was supposed to take one pill at a time, but took 32, with only 6 dissolving in his organism. He also did it at the age of 32.
He was also the person who told Jimmy Page that his project was gonna "crash like a lead balloon", which Page made into Led Zeppelin.

One Japanese company wanted to emit 4,000 stocks at 610k yen each. However, due to a typo, they emitted 610k stocks at 1 yen each.

The CEO of Rootes Group told Ivan Hirst, the founder of the Volkswagen company, that he was "a bloody fool" for restarting Beetle production after WWI.

The band Lynyrd Skynyrd is named after Leonard Skinner, the principal of the founders' school.

The actual successor to the old Top Gear show is not the new one, but Fifth Gear, as it absorbed most of the old crew.

When Road & Track compared the 1974 Mercedes 450SEL and Oldsmobile Cutlass Salon, they found out that the Benz wasn't worth the money when compared with the somewhat pedestrian Olds.

Coming back to Keith Moon, he was estimated by The Who to have caused £300,000 of damage with his notoriously destructive behaviour. That is over £3 million when adjusted for inflation.
Last edited by Petrolheadia on Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue May 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Heloin wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:Alpacas are smaller than llamas.

Wait, they're different things? I always thought it was like a sheep/lamb/ram situation

They are two different, but related, species. More like donkey and horse.

Woods Is Back
Envoy

Founded: Sep 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Woods Is Back » Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Nutella was invented in WW2, when hazelnuts were mixed in with chocolate to extend its lifetime

And people think they're history buffs.
”I’ve always been leery of the United Nations. The very concept is comically dichotomous. Nations putting their self-interests aside in the hopes of building a global community, holding hands and Kumbaya? I mean, honestly, it’s like kindergarten. Do you have rug time? I did love rug time.”

-Raymond Reddington

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Heloin wrote:Wait, they're different things? I always thought it was like a sheep/lamb/ram situation

They are two different, but related, species. More like donkey and horse.

You learn something new every day :)

Strenida
Civilian

Founded: Mar 31, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Strenida » Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm

The most purple national flag is the flag of Dominica. It has a small purple bird right in the centre.

The Fascist Waffle Empire
Attaché

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist Waffle Empire » Tue May 07, 2019 2:46 pm

Croissants are believed to have been invented in Vienna, 1683. After the siege of Vienna, to commemorate their triumph against ottoman forces. Hence the cresent shape.
Now i know what yall may be thinkin. No, im not a fascist, i'm theocratical monarchy. And no, we are not a country composed of sentient waffles. Although that was one of the original ideas.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 pm

Simón Bolívar is the only person to have more then one country currently named after him. Bolivia and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue May 07, 2019 2:52 pm

The Belgian king is called 'king of the Belgians' rather than King of Belgium.

La Paz de Los Ricos
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby La Paz de Los Ricos » Tue May 07, 2019 2:57 pm

Strenida wrote:The most purple national flag is the flag of Dominica. It has a small purple bird right in the centre.

Purple really is an underused color. Now that purple dye is much easier to acquire, I'd like to see a real-life state that gives their national flag an indigo/violet spin. The Spanish Republican flag did it right, so why can't anyone else?

Also, I guess to contribute a factoid, since Pluto's discovery in 1930 by Clyde Tombaugh, the dwarf planet has yet to complete one full orbit around the sun, and will not do so until around the year 2178.

(I remembered the "Pluto has not completed a full orbit" part, but I had to calculate the year it would complete the orbit.)
Last edited by La Paz de Los Ricos on Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Treangolist Revival of La Paz de Los Ricos
I survived the April 2024 NS outage! Also on a t-shirt! | Reworking national information. | The Navaluege Language (WIP)
CURRENT PROJECT . . .
The Tale These Islands Tell [PRIVATE|CLOSED] — [Chapter II - 02 April 2024]
A curmudgeonly Canadian reluctantly aids an aging Ricano legend in reviving the nation's history.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Someone in the US Army Radio Station, intercepted a message which said to bring Tootsie Rolls (codeword for ammo), the shipment was delivered and it had actual Tootsie Rolls instead of ammo. Surprisingly, the rolls helped that division to get through the winter, helping with food and repairing tanks.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Umpus
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Umpus » Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm

coca cola was banned in the soviet union,and when a soviet general wanted some,clear soda was invented,then smuggled to him.
Liriena wrote:No, you see, T_D seriously talking about killing Muslims, immigrants, "degenerates" and cops is free speech. But when a leftist subreddit jokes about wedgies and milkshakes, that's horrifying advocacy for violence and it cannot stand.
Duvniask wrote:One apparently can't criticize the country one lives in, or, God forbid, want to better it.
The Huskar Social Union wrote:The left does this and the left does that

The left blahgalaghalag and the Left Halghalghalg

THE LEFT Alahahhaafhg
A 16 civilization, according to this index.

United States of Wonderland
Political Columnist

Founded: May 04, 2012

Postby United States of Wonderland » Tue May 07, 2019 3:04 pm

More Chinese Speak english than Americans

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Tue May 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

Quaeg
Attaché

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Quaeg » Tue May 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Flamingos have no natural predator (citation needed)
So, this is where I write a signature. I'll replace this with something else later.
Quaeg's just a nation trying to make its way in the world. We're out-of-the-way, pleasant and overthrew the king in a violent revolt. Come and visit, everyone's welcome!
Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know it's completely irrelevent to your opinions on gender and sex
Overview. Just FYI, The flag's a sunset, not a sunrise, and the Quaeg is pronounced Kw-ay-g.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Puerto Rican separatists were at one time the most prolific anti-American terrorist groups pre-9/11, having tried to assassinate Teddy Roosevelt, attempting a coup in the 1950's, and performing several armored car robberies in the 80's and 90's, before the Osama bin Laden of Puerto Rico, Filiberto Ojeda Rios, was finally gunned down by the FBI in the 2000's after 9/11.

Really pisses me off that the Wahhabis rip us off without shame.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General