NATION

PASSWORD

Easy thread finding

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Easy thread finding

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:50 am

An old system in Jolt was that we were able to find ours and other threads quite easily by going to the posters member page and search for the users threads.

I was looking for a thread of another poster earlier and noticed that we don't have this option, in fact the only option we have is to search through their posts.

I am wondering if it will be possible to allow us to search for threads that have been made by a certain poster and if the technical gurus will make this option available?
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Easy thread finding

Postby Valipac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:36 am

This is already a feature, albeit a little more challenging to find. Here's a quick how-to.

Click the little search magnifying glass link in the upper left.
Type in the name of the thread starter in the "Search for author" field.
In the "Search within" section, choose the box labeled "First post of topics only".
Click "Search".
????
PROFIT!!!
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 am

Valipac wrote:This is already a feature, albeit a little more challenging to find. Here's a quick how-to.

In the "Search within" section, choose the box labeled "First post of topics only".
Click "Search".
????
PROFIT!!!

See this is only going tyo work if you remember the thread title exactly and it is recent. If it was done months ago and you don't exactly remember what the title was, going make it much more difficult to find.

Still doesnt answer my question.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Valipac
Ambassador

Founded: May 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Valipac » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:54 am

Blouman Empire wrote:
Valipac wrote:This is already a feature, albeit a little more challenging to find. Here's a quick how-to.

Click "Search".
????
PROFIT!!!

See this is only going tyo work if you remember the thread title exactly and it is recent. If it was done months ago and you don't exactly remember what the title was, going make it much more difficult to find.

Still doesnt answer my question.

Uhhh... Not at all. You asked how to search by thread author. I showed you. What I showed you how to do will narrow it down to any threads that user has created. All you have to do if you want to narrow it down further is enter keywords that were used in the OP. I didn't say "search thread titles only", I said "search first posts" only. As long as you can put the jist of the thread into keywords and follow the steps above, it should be fairly simple. I agree that a "search for threads by user would be nice, but you can use this as an adequate workaround that accomplishes the same thing.
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." - Samuel Johnson

Wiki | Using Satellites in Warfare | BoF 34 Champion
Designer of Ex-Nation Flag | AKA: Kampf

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 am

Valipac wrote:Uhhh... Not at all. You asked how to search by thread author. I showed you. What I showed you how to do will narrow it down to any threads that user has created. All you have to do if you want to narrow it down further is enter keywords that were used in the OP. I didn't say "search thread titles only", I said "search first posts" only. As long as you can put the jist of the thread into keywords and follow the steps above, it should be fairly simple. I agree that a "search for threads by user would be nice, but you can use this as an adequate workaround that accomplishes the same thing.

Ah yeah well you're a garbage collector :P

Actually I was asking if we could get that feature in.

DBC26-Winner

Return to Technical