NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Global Naming Dispute

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

[DRAFT] Global Naming Dispute

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:40 am

Note: the title is a WIP.

After scientists in the @@DEMONYM@@ National Space Agency discovered a new planet in our solar system, your advisors have been debating what to name it.

Option 1: "This is a fantastic find," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the head of the team that discovered the planet. "If you don't mind, I believe my team should receive the naming rights. After all, we discovered it. It's only right that this eons-old space object be named by us. After all, we're the ones that stumbled across it. Nevermind the fact that we only discovered it by accident while looking for something else in the completely wrong place!"

Outcome: Planets are named by the people that discovered them.

Option 2: "This planet was discovered by a team working for the @@DEMONYM@@ Government. It's only right that naming rights should belong to the people," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, a direct democracy advocate. "The name should be decided by a public referendum, with choices submitted by the public. It's the only way to ensure the people have their say!"

Outcome: space objects have names such as "Steve Wuz Here" and "$#!% World"

Validity: In World Assembly
Option 3: "No one country should have the rights to name something they don't own," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, an ambassador from a distant, developing country. "On behalf of my government, I request you let an international body, such as the World Assembly, decide on the name. After all, scientific achievements should belong to everyone."

Outcome: some space objects have unpronouncable, foreign names.

Option 4: "The only clear option is to let the legislature pick the name," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, the Majority Leader of the Senate. "We name post offices, why not space objects?"

Outcome: the latest source of gridlock in Congress is over what to name a planet.

Option 5: "We must use this opportunity to honor the heavens," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, head of @@RELIGION@@. "Besides, all planets in our solar system are named after religious figures and deities. Why should this be any different? Allow the clergy to choose the name, and we will surely earn divine favors!"

Outcome: Religious institutions are responsible for naming scientific achievements.

Option 6: "All of this debate, when the obvious answer is right in front of you," says your brother, whispering in your ear while everyone else argues amongst themselves. "You, @@LEADER@@, are the glorious leader of our nation, and your achievements are planetary in size. Why not cement your name in the history books by naming something as big as a planet after yourself? You've earned it!"

Outcome: the newest planet in the solar system is named "@@LEADER@@".
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 am

I can't help but feel the chance of discovering a new planet in the solar system being quite slim in a modern day setting. But that's my personal opinion. I'll leave it to the more experienced issue writers to discuss the content.
Merry Christmas!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:15 am

Earthbound immortal squad wrote:I can't help but feel the chance of discovering a new planet in the solar system being quite slim in a modern day setting.

Probably true for "real" planets, but there's an existing issue about whether to reclassify a 'Pluto' equivalent as not being a planet and if you choose to leave it counting as one then any other Pluto-like bodies would presumably qualify for inclusion in this category as well...
Maybe this should tree off of that option?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:41 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Earthbound immortal squad wrote:I can't help but feel the chance of discovering a new planet in the solar system being quite slim in a modern day setting.

Probably true for "real" planets, but there's an existing issue about whether to reclassify a 'Pluto' equivalent as not being a planet and if you choose to leave it counting as one then any other Pluto-like bodies would presumably qualify for inclusion in this category as well...
Maybe this should tree off of that option?

The issue is not about the planet itself, but rather the naming dispute.

Can you please clarify whether or not the issue editors would approve of an issue which has the discovery of a new planet? If not, I can change it to a dwarf planet, or maybe to a planet in another system.

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Earthbound Immortal Squad
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Earthbound Immortal Squad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:02 am

Not sure if this idea exists but what if a habitable planet was discovered outside the solar system there is a lot of potential directions you could take that if it hasn't been taken already.
Merry Christmas!

Vivolkha
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 15, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vivolkha » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm

There is an ongoing search for a hypothetical Planet Nine in our very own Solar System, so it's not entirely out the question (actually, we know very little of what's further than 100 AU from the Sun in our Solar System). Also, some prominent exoplanets have received semi-official names too, for example, 51 Pegasi b is also known as Dimidium. I can recall that in the past there have been naming disputes over "minor planets" (comets/asteroids/dwarf planets) found in our Solar System too.
Last edited by Vivolkha on Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exclusively OOC nation | Prominent stat player as Aryax | Слава Україні! Героям слава!
Commentary about WA resolutions is posted on a personal capacity, and does not represent the opinion of 10000 Islands.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:09 pm

Earthbound immortal squad wrote:Not sure if this idea exists but what if a habitable planet was discovered outside the solar system there is a lot of potential directions you could take that if it hasn't been taken already.

Perhaps I'll make an issue on that someday, but for now, this issue is focusing exclusively on the topic of naming a new planet. The details of the planet are irrelevant.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:10 pm

Vivolkha wrote:There is an ongoing search for a hypothetical Planet Nine in our very own Solar System, so it's not entirely out the question (actually, we know very little of what's further than 100 AU from the Sun in our Solar System). Also, some prominent exoplanets have received semi-official names too, for example, 51 Pegasi b is also known as Dimidium. I can recall that in the past there have been naming disputes over "minor planets" (comets/asteroids/dwarf planets) found in our Solar System too.

I'm well aware of that search, yes.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:48 pm

I would make it a planet in a distant solar system
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:I would make it a planet in a distant solar system

I'll wait for a final judgement from an issue editor.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:20 pm

There is at least one issue already in the game about what some recently discovered object should be named after. I feel this draft doesn't bring anything new to the topic.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Baggieland wrote:There is at least one issue already in the game about what some recently discovered object should be named after. I feel this draft doesn't bring anything new to the topic.

Can you tell me which issue?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Baggieland wrote:There is at least one issue already in the game about what some recently discovered object should be named after. I feel this draft doesn't bring anything new to the topic.
Two.
And I didn't think either of them was a relevant matter for a national leader to address. Scientists have their own organizations and rules for this kind of thing.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:24 am

Thanks Trotters, 798 was the one I was thinking of.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 am

Trotterdam wrote:
Two.
And I didn't think either of them was a relevant matter for a national leader to address. Scientists have their own organizations and rules for this kind of thing.

Neither of those are really the same, and the only common option between them is naming after the leader. Naming a new planet is different from animals or elements.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 am

It's not exactly the same, but is "What do you want to name this thing?" really enough of an interesting question that we need another variant?
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 am

USS Monitor wrote:It's not exactly the same, but is "What do you want to name this thing?" really enough of an interesting question that we need another variant?

With planets, I would say so. Planets, especially in a home solar system, are rare enough that I'd say it's warranted. Besides, my issue has options not available in the others. I would argue the circumstances within the issue warrant the allowance of this issue to go forward, if I have your permission.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am

United States of Natan wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:It's not exactly the same, but is "What do you want to name this thing?" really enough of an interesting question that we need another variant?

With planets, I would say so. Planets, especially in a home solar system, are rare enough that I'd say it's warranted. Besides, my issue has options not available in the others. I would argue the circumstances within the issue warrant the allowance of this issue to go forward, if I have your permission.

You're allowed to draft and submit it, but that doesn't mean it will get accepted.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 am

USS Monitor wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:With planets, I would say so. Planets, especially in a home solar system, are rare enough that I'd say it's warranted. Besides, my issue has options not available in the others. I would argue the circumstances within the issue warrant the allowance of this issue to go forward, if I have your permission.

You're allowed to draft and submit it, but that doesn't mean it will get accepted.

Well I'm wondering if there's a chance it will be accepted. If it will be rejected based solely or primarily on the other 2 issues, then I'm not gonna bother submitting it.

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:47 pm

United States of Natan wrote:Well I'm wondering if there's a chance it will be accepted. If it will be rejected based solely or primarily on the other 2 issues, then I'm not gonna bother submitting it.

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in this issue, as I've already said, it feels too similar to those other two issues. Also, I agree with Trotterdam that it's difficult to see how naming something requires government action. These kinds of things are always dealt with by the scientific community. But, that's just me. It's possible another editor might be interested in it.

Re: the existing two issues, both have extremely forced narratives which just about manage to make it leader's problem. I think that sort of thing is okay once in a while, in order to bring interesting dilemmas to the table that wouldn't logically be national issues, I also think it's something we're getting less and less keen on, and which should be used sparingly as possible. I certainly wouldn't be keen on seeing ANOTHER issue about names have to use a forced narrative to bring it to national level.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:09 am

I concur that the overlap in the type of question is too great, and I'd certainly reject this if I saw it in the queue, delete it if I saw it in the issue pool, or move to block it if I saw it being edited.

So all in all, I'd suggest scrapping it.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?