NATION

PASSWORD

Who will Win the 2019 Indonesian Presidential Election?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Who will Win the 2019 Indonesian Presidential Election?

Postby Dictoriahon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Haven't heard of Indonesia? No? Of course you haven't. Click here.
As obscure as it is, courses of events in Indonesia often shake the world. The 1945-49 revolution that saw the nation founded made colonialism look crap. The Cold War would have went in the Soviet Union's direction had Suharto and his buddies not killed off at least 500,000 'communists'. (The soldiers who instigated the massacre by killing six 'right-wing' generals in the name of the incumbent couldn't even have been communist, for Pete's sake!) News of the decimated city of Banda Aceh in late 2004 made Indonesia one of the largest aid recipients in the world and the Bali Bombings opened the world's eyes to the possibility of terrorism in East Asia.

Indonesia has been led by a fiery nationalist, a grinning dictator, a diminutive technocrat, an old scholar, a national icon, a failed reformist and a successful reformist (in that order). That successful reformist is former Surakartan mayor and Jakartan governor Joko Widodo, also known as Jokowi. He has been hailed by Fortune as one of the world's 50 greatest leaders and has been on the Muslim 500 for two years running. For some reason, he is a Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim, the highest order in Sweden, of all places. He was elected in 2014, with Jusuf Kalla and his approval ratings have skyrocketed since then. He has spread education, development and efficiency, building major toll roads in West New Guinea and orchestrating the creation of Jakarta's first true mass transit system, the latter of which incited cheering from the traffic-ridden city's inhabitants. This time with Muslim scholar Ma'ruf Amin, he is running for another five-year turn. His opponent? Prabowo Subianto.

Prabowo is one of the big Suhartoists right now, partly for the sake of relations with his ex-wife, no other than Suharto's daughter. He promises a return to the Suharto era, which could be said to be a benevolent dictatorship. He has forcefully given warnings to many politicians to do what he thinks is their best course, but was thankfully too much of a bother to listen to. Prabowo has been banned from entering the US on human rights violations grounds, but something tells me Ol' Donnie will do something to change that. He's already lost the 2014 election to Jokowi, but with a very narrow margin. He's shooting for it again with Jakarta Vice-Governor Sandiaga Uno, but Jokowi's five-year credential-proving stint will make it much harder for him. However, there are many people in poverty which have taken Jokowi's benefits longer to reach that want change.

So who do you think shall it be? The reformist or the absolutist? (I will release the results on 17th April at the earliest, 1st May at the latest.)
Last edited by Dictoriahon on Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Empire of Dictoriahon
Founded Nov. 30 2018
We are a nation of heavily suppressed loyal citizens led with an iron fist a benevolent hand by our wise ruler Supreme Leader Sebastian Dictorus. We treat our citizens with brutality hospitality and host a virtually decimated thriving environment.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:08 pm

You didn't need to spoiler that bit, and I'd put blank lines between the paragraphs. And I think you'd be surprised by how many people have heard of Indonesia.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:13 pm

It's not really even a question. Jokowi is like 20 or 25 points ahead.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Ariwana
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ariwana » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 pm

Either Jokowi or Prabowo who win elections, this country will still be what it is today with possible small changes waiting in the future
A R I W A N A

Information | Economy Outlook | Embassy & Consulate Service | Dialog

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dictoriahon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:04 am

UPDATE!
Jokowi has just hosted a gigantic rally at the biggest stadium in the nation - and by just, I mean a couple of hours ago. I'm certain he's gonna win. But Prabowo launched another one in the most major road in Jakarta, so I dunno.
Founded Nov. 30 2018
We are a nation of heavily suppressed loyal citizens led with an iron fist a benevolent hand by our wise ruler Supreme Leader Sebastian Dictorus. We treat our citizens with brutality hospitality and host a virtually decimated thriving environment.

Dictoriahon
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Dictoriahon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:07 am

After I post the results, feel free to use this topic to prophesy fortune/doom during the reign of either the incumbent or the challenger.
Founded Nov. 30 2018

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:27 am

Dictoriahon wrote:After I post the results, feel free to use this topic to prophesy fortune/doom during the reign of either the incumbent or the challenger.

I don't think either is particularly likely, to be honest... It looks like a more benign economic outlook for SE Asia as a whole than we had for much of last year, so hopefully things will be relatively smooth.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Imperial Majapahit
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Majapahit » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:36 am

I doubt Prabowo can win that many votes with all the shenanigans his campaign team has been making. Jokowi's presidency will endure.
♔ KEMAHARAJAAN MAJAPAHIT ♔
A sovereign Hindu-Buddhist empire in Southeast Asia, having survived centuries of crises and feeble European attempts at colonialism.
Overview | News Agency | Emperor | Premier | Territories | Military | Foreign Relations | Political Parties | Embassies | Trivia
A 15,38 civilization, according to this index.
Self-proclaimed 5-star General, Admiral, and Marshal in the realm of Hearts of Iron IV.
"Mahajapit? Majahapit? Mapajahit? Mahapajit? Mapajahit? Ma...ja...pa...hit?"

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Founded: Aug 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:47 am

Ariwana wrote:Either Jokowi or Prabowo who win elections, this country will still be what it is today with possible small changes waiting in the future

Agreed.

Cyberpunk America
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Corporate Bordello

Postby Cyberpunk America » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 am

I support whoever is least supportive of Islam.

Ariwana
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ariwana » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:04 pm

Don't forget to votes in general election on this day :bow:

One vote can determine the direction of state policy in the future

A R I W A N A

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Ariwana wrote:Don't forget to votes in general election on this day :bow:

Ah well, it's still early at my place. The sun has just rose :p
Anyway, agreed with your statement. Whoever gets elected, let's hope that they are the best choice for our country's future.

(Anyway the Deddy Mizwar meme got me cracked up)

Arkhastok
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 31, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkhastok » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Child of Indonesian parents here living in Australia. Tbh I only know stuff about Jokowi because they keep going on about how good he is, only heard Prabowo mentioned once lol. Was going to go to Indonesia around this time of year but elections apparently made it too dangerous

Ariwana
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ariwana » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Ariwana wrote:Don't forget to votes in general election on this day :bow:

Ah well, it's still early at my place. The sun has just rose :p
Anyway, agreed with your statement. Whoever gets elected, let's hope that they are the best choice for our country's future.

(Anyway the Deddy Mizwar meme got me cracked up)

yep, I am also to vote in Jakarta yeah at 9 a.m. don't forget to vote rhinoceros hehehe :bow:
A R I W A N A

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:59 pm

Some bloke I would imagine
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Arkhastok wrote:Child of Indonesian parents here living in Australia. Tbh I only know stuff about Jokowi because they keep going on about how good he is, only heard Prabowo mentioned once lol. Was going to go to Indonesia around this time of year but elections apparently made it too dangerous

How so?
I mean, I've heard some people talking about how Indonesia is always on the verge of collapsing, though I think it's slightly exaggerated.

Arkhastok
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkhastok » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Arkhastok wrote:Child of Indonesian parents here living in Australia. Tbh I only know stuff about Jokowi because they keep going on about how good he is, only heard Prabowo mentioned once lol. Was going to go to Indonesia around this time of year but elections apparently made it too dangerous

How so?
I mean, I've heard some people talking about how Indonesia is always on the verge of collapsing, though I think it's slightly exaggerated.

We're Chinese Indonesians so parents say that it's dangerous to visit at this time of year. I think they exaggerated it but I can see how there may be more unrest.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:16 pm

1: Which parties/candidates are in the race right now?
2: Which party/candidate is the most Islamic?
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Arkhastok wrote:We're Chinese Indonesians so parents say that it's dangerous to visit at this time of year. I think they exaggerated it but I can see how there may be more unrest.

Ah....it's exaggerated yet is not at the same time.
Having distant Chinese descent from father's side, I know a number of people who get along well with members of the Chinese Indonesian community......and some who would look at them with suspicions or bad judgement in general. It depends on the people really, but I don't think that 1998 is going to be re-enacted, hopefully.

The time that is prone to some.....dangers is the one that is around the announcement of the results. Some may be dissastisfied.

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Just did some self research, I stand behind the Crescent Star Party.
I read the political parties' bios on wiki so my stance is subject to change if I learn more insha-Allah
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Samudera Darussalam
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Samudera Darussalam » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:34 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:1: Which parties/candidates are in the race right now?

Ah well, there are two candidates:

1. The first one is the incumbent president Jokowi, and Ma'ruf Amin. Jokowi is going to run as the presidential candidate, and Ma'ruf Amin, an Islamic scholar and former head of the MUI (Majelis Ulama Indonesia/Indonesian Ulema Council) as his vice-president.
This pair is supported by PDI-P, Golkar, PKB, PPP, Nasdem, Hanura, PKPI, PBB, PSI, and Perindo.

The second one is Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Uno. Prabowo Subianto, who is going to run as the presidential candidate is a former member of the Indonesian military and Sandiaga, who is running for the position of vice president is an Indonesian businessman.
The pair is supported by Gerindra, Demokrat, PAN, PKS, and Berkarya.

2. About the most Islamic parts.....Islamic parties are split up in this election. PAN and PKS are both Islamic parties, as well as PKB and PBB. People generally said that the second candidate has some connections with hardline or conservative(?) Muslim groups.

Maybe some insights.
Last edited by Samudera Darussalam on Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkhastok
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkhastok » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:37 pm

Arkhastok wrote:We're Chinese Indonesians so parents say that it's dangerous to visit at this time of year. I think they exaggerated it but I can see how there may be more unrest.

Ah....it's exaggerated yet is not at the same time.
Having distant Chinese descent from father's side, I know a number of people who get along well with members of the Chinese Indonesian community......and some who would look at them with suspicions or bad judgement in general. It depends on the people really, but I don't think that 1998 is going to be re-enacted, hopefully.

The time that is prone to some.....dangers is the one that is around the announcement of the results. Some may be dissastisfied.

Ah yes, I keep hearing about 1998. Probably caused the fear of going back doing political events honestly. My grandparents were due to return back to Indonesia by then but my parents got them permanent residency here. Although now, they're back in Indonesia so I assume that this wont be a repeat.

Angora Guanaco
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Angora Guanaco » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:46 pm

There's no way Joko Widodo will lose, right?

And also, I feel like you've either underestimated Indonesia's prominence or NS's geography skills. I think almost everyone's got to have heard of Indonesia.
i failed biology :(

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:48 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:1: Which parties/candidates are in the race right now?

Ah well, there are two candidates:

1. The first one is the incumbent president Jokowi, and Ma'ruf Amin. Jokowi is going to run as the presidential candidate, and Ma'ruf Amin, an Islamic scholar and former head of the MUI (Majelis Ulama Indonesia/Indonesian Ulema Council) as his vice-president.
This pair is supported by PDI-P, Golkar, PKB, PPP, Nasdem, Hanura, PKPI, PBB, PSI, and Perindo.

The second one is Prabowo Subianto and Sandiaga Uno. Prabowo Subianto, who is going to run as the presidential candidate is a former member of the Indonesian military and Sandiaga, who is running for the position of vice president is an Indonesian businessman.
The pair is supported by Gerindra, Demokrat, PAN, PKS, and Berkarya.

2. About the most Islamic parts.....Islamic parties are split up in this election. PAN and PKS are both Islamic parties, as well as PKB and PBB. People generally said that the second candidate has some connections with hardline or conservative(?) Muslim groups.

Maybe some insights.

Well according to wiki, this how I see it:

I'm not gonna support PKB nor PKS because neither want a full-on 100% Islamic government. Also PKS has/had ties to the Muslim Brotherhood so :? So that leaves PAN and PBB. The reason I picked PBB was because wiki said that they want an Islamic way of life for Indonesia. Then again so does PAN and wiki saying that PAN is moderate Islamist doesn't necessarily mean they're munaafiqoon.

Tbh all the Islamic parties should just unite, Or at least from a coalition.
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Angora Guanaco wrote:There's no way Joko Widodo will lose, right?

And also, I feel like you've either underestimated Indonesia's prominence or NS's geography skills. I think almost everyone's got to have heard of Indonesia.

I have :)
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General