NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Lost at Sea

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Lost at Sea

Postby The Super Fork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:29 am

Thoughts?

Draft 4
Title: Lost at Sea

Description: Years after the end of the failed search for the missing sailboat Adventurer and its crew, the boat was finally found, locked in pack ice in the oceans around Northern Brancaland. As major news sources bring the incident back into the spotlight, concerned citizens are asking how to prevent this from happening again.

Option 1: “Obviously, we need to have all boats create and submit a travel plan to my office before they leave port.” says Minister of Maritime Matters @@RANDOMNAME@@ while setting a new globe on your desk. “We’ll track them with radar and send a rescue team if they stray off course or send a distress call. Private boaters would have to pay a small fee to cover expenses, but it will be worth it for everyone's safety.”

Effect: rescue teams are overwhelmed searching for boats a few meters off course

Option 2: “Everyone knows that you’ll reach the Great Ice Wall if you sail too far!” exclaims infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@ while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too much of a hassle to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will get trapped in the ice!

Effect: @@NAME@@ is pretty much landlocked

Option 3: "You're all overlooking the biggest problem, the ice!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the one member of the "Climate Changers Society", while lighting your globe on fire. "If we increase our carbon dioxide output by removing our environmental protection laws, we'll raise the temperature of the globe and melt all the troublesome ice! Sure, it might take a few years and we might lose a few coastal cities to sea level rise, but out boats will never get stuck in ice again!"

Effect: citizens wonder why the government is stocking up on sandbags

Option 4: “Avast! Ye government knaves have no right to dictate where me and me hearties travel!” shouts suspected pirate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Blackbeard, barging into your office and waving a cutlass and impaling the remains of your globe.“Ye government scallywags! The @@LEADER@@’s Revenge shall sail wherever we please with no interference, or you’ll walk the plank!”

Effect: ships no longer sail as no one wants to encounter the @@DEMONYM@@ Pirate Crew
Small changes to the wording of option 2.

Draft 3

Description: Years after the end of the failed search for the missing sailboat Adventurer and its crew, the boat was finally found, locked in pack ice in the oceans around Northern Brancaland. As major news sources bring the incident back into the spotlight, concerned citizens are asking how to prevent this from happening again.

Option 1: “Obviously, we need to have all boats create and submit a travel plan to my office before they leave port.” says Minister of Maritime Matters @@RANDOMNAME@@ while setting a new globe on your desk. “We’ll track them with radar and send a rescue team if they stray off course or send a distress call. Private boaters would have to pay a small fee to cover expenses, but it will be worth it for everyone's safety.”

Effect: rescue teams are overwhelmed searching for boats a few meters off course

Option 2: “Everyone knows that you’ll reach the edge of the world if you sail too far!” shouts infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@, while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will fall off the world!

Option 3: "You're all overlooking the biggest problem, the ice!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, the one member of the "Climate Changers Society", while lighting your globe on fire. "If we increase our carbon dioxide output by removing our environmental protection laws, we'll raise the temperature of the globe and melt all the troublesome ice! Sure, it might take a few years and we might lose a few coastal cities to sea level rise, but out boats will never get stuck in ice again!"

Option 4: “Avast! Ye government knaves have no right to dictate where me and me hearties travel!” shouts suspected pirate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Blackbeard, barging into your office, waving a cutlass and impaling the remains of your globe.“Ye government landlubbers! The @@ANIMAL@@’s Revenge shall sail wherever we please with no interference, or you’ll be walkin' the plank!”

Effect: ships no longer sail as no one wants to encounter the @@DEMONYM@@ Pirate Crew

Replaced the cheapskate with a flat-earther and added Baggieland's pirate-speak suggestions.

Draft 2

Description: Years after the end of the failed search for the missing @@DEMONYM@@ sailboat Adventurer and its crew, the boat was finally found, locked in pack ice in the oceans around Northern Brancaland. As major news sources bring the incident back into the spotlight, concerned citizens are asking how to prevent this from happening again.

Option 1: “Obviously, we need to have all boats create and submit a travel plan to my office before they leave port.” says Minister of Maritime Matters @@RANDOMNAME@@ while fixing your ship in a bottle. “We’ll track them with radar and send a rescue team if they stray off course or send a distress call. Private boaters would have to pay a small fee to cover expenses, but it will be worth it for everyone's safety.”

Option 2: “That’ll be soooo expensive!” says renowned cheapskate @@RANDOMNAME@@ while taking all the mints from your candy bowl. “Thanks for the free food! Anyway, it would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, all we need to do is ban boating. If no one is on the water, no one can be lost at sea!”

Option 4: “Avast! Ye government knaves have no right to dictate where me and me hearties travel!” shouts suspected pirate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Blackbeard, barging into your office and waving a cutlass. “Ye government landlubbers! The @@ANIMAL@@’s Revenge shall sail wherever we please with no interference, or you’ll be walkin' the plank!”

Effect: ships are no longer lost as no one wants to encounter the @@DEMONYM@@ Pirate Crew

Added a crazy 3rd option and changed some wording to extend this to all types of boats.

Draft 1
Title: Out to Sea

Description: Years after the end of the failed search for the missing sailboat Adventurer and its crew, the boat was finally found, run aground in Northern Brancaland. As major news sources bring the incident back into the spotlight, concerned citizens are asking how to prevent this from happening again.

Option 1: “Obviously, we need to have all boats create and submit a travel plan to my office before they leave port.” says Minister of Maritime Matters @@RANDOMNAME@@ while fixing your ship in a bottle. “We’ll track them with radar and send a rescue team if they stray off course. Boaters would have to pay a small fee to cover expenses, but it will be worth it for their safety.”

Option 2: “That’ll be soooo expensive!” says renowned cheapskate @@RANDOMNAME@@ while taking all the mints from your candy bowl. “Thanks for the free food! Anyway, it would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, all we need to to is ban them from going farther than viewing range from land!”

Effect: watching the waves is more than a pastime

Option 3: “Avast! Ye government knaves have no right to dictate where me and me hearties travel!” shouts suspected pirate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Blackbeard, barging into your office and waving a cutlass. “Ye government landlubbers! The @@ANIMAL@@’s Revenge shall sail wherever we please with no interference, or you’ll be walkin' the plank!”

Effect: ships are no longer lost as no one wants to encounter the @@DEMONYM@@ Pirate Crew
Last edited by The Super Fork on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:18 am, edited 20 times in total.
Political Compass Score:
Economic Left/Right: 0.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.44

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 am

Years after the end of the failed search for the missing sailboat Adventurer and its crew, the boat was finally found

Was there any evidence on board about hat had happened to the crew?

And seriously, who likely is it for a ship that's been missing for years to be still on the surface rather than long-since sunk?
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Verdant Haven
Director of Content

Founded: Feb 26, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Verdant Haven » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 pm

Bears Armed wrote:And seriously, who likely is it for a ship that's been missing for years to be still on the surface rather than long-since sunk?

While I can't give odds, it is something that has happened. HMS Resolute, for example, was a polar exploration ship. It became trapped in ice in late 1853, and was abandoned in spring of 1854. A year and a half later, in fall 1855, it was found floating free more than a thousand miles away, and was recovered and returned to the crown. These days, the Oval Office has a desk made from that ship's timbers.

A seaworthy ship floating free can survive quite a bit in the right conditions!

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:17 pm

How about "the boat was finally found, run around in remote northern Brancaland." This would imply that it crashed a while ago and was only found now.
Political Compass Score:

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:35 pm

The SS Baychimo was abandoned in 1931 after it got trapped in ice (with the intent to reclaim it once the ice melted, but to make a long story short, they lost track of it), and was last seen still afloat in 1969.

Once, a mere lifeboat was found adrift 27 years after the ship it came from sank (unfortunately, that shows that it failed to do its task of saving anyone's life, or they'd have driven it to shore sooner).

The Governor Parr is also said to have been sighted for "many years" after being damaged in a storm and abandoned, although how many isn't specified. This one is suspect, most sources I can find are parrotting each other.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:21 am

Okay, so the definite examples of ships getting lost like that in RL are "all" from ships exploring or trading in the arctic...
Wouldn't that therefore probably be the most probable situation in the NS-verse as well, with any exceptions far too rare for (a) people in so many nations raising this issue to be likely, and (b) any governments that do apply new rules because of this situation to ALL shipping rather than just to ships specifically going into the arctic (and/or the antarctic) to be -- even by NS standards -- very plausible? A problem with ships going into the ice calls more for new rules about ships going into the ice, not for new rules about ships that are going anywhere... At the very least, shouldn't there be at east one option which takes this approach.
(I note that neither option 1 nor option 2 would have made any difference in the case of the SS Baychimo: It was on a planned course, and was only half a mile from shore when abandoned...)
Last edited by Bears Armed on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:56 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:26 am

My original thought to aim this more at private/recreational boating, with some ambiguity about the exact cause of the loss of the Adventurer. I made the assumption that government and company boats would already have safety measures in place that private boaters would not.

I'm thinking about making a second draft with a focus on all boats and not just private boaters, possibly involving boats encountering ice.
Political Compass Score:

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:18 am

Is this draft better than the current draft 2?

Draft Idea

Option 2: “Everyone knows that you’ll reach the edge of the world if you sail too far!” exclaims infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@ while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will fall off the world!

Option 4: “Avast! Ye government knaves have no right to dictate where me and me hearties travel!” shouts suspected pirate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Blackbeard, barging into your office, waving a cutlass and impaling the remains of your globe.“Ye government landlubbers! The @@ANIMAL@@’s Revenge shall sail wherever we please with no interference, or you’ll be walkin' the plank!”

Last edited by The Super Fork on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Political Compass Score:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:30 pm

If the boat was found in Bracenland, what's it gotta with @@,NAME@@? Was it a @@DENONYM@@ ship? Is @@NAME@@ part of an international comittee on boat safety? In either case, why wouldn't @@LEADER@@ forward this issue to the appropriate minister?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:21 am

Australian rePublic wrote:If the boat was found in Bracenland, what's it gotta with @@,NAME@@? Was it a @@DENONYM@@ ship? Is @@NAME@@ part of an international comittee on boat safety? In either case, why wouldn't @@LEADER@@ forward this issue to the appropriate minister?

Yes, it was supposed to be a @@DEMONYM@@ ship. Now clarified in the description.

As for passing off the issue to another minister, I don't think that's a problem. Plenty of other issues could theoretically be sent to a minister.
For example,
#288 to a Health Minister,
#292 to a Tourism Minister,
#578 to a Military Minister.
Political Compass Score:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:38 am

The Super Fork wrote:Avast! Ye government knaves have no right to dictate where me and me hearties travel!” shouts suspected pirate @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Blackbeard, barging into your office and waving a cutlass. “Ye government scallywags! The @@LEADER@@’s Revenge shall sail wherever we please with no interference, or you’ll walk the plank

Just a bit of pirate talk for you, not that I ever was a pirate! :)
I think the government are more likely to be landlubbers than scallywags. I would change the name of the ship to ANIMAL's Revenge, I just think that would fit better. Finally, you'll be walking the plank. Yarrr!!!

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:29 pm

New draft, changed up option 2, added a sub-plot about Leader's new globe and changed up the pirate speak a bit.
Political Compass Score:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:26 am

The Super Fork wrote:Everyone knows that you’ll reach the edge of the world if you sail too far!” shouts infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@, while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will fall off the world!

I think the cheap-skate is better than the flat-earther. The premise is about ships getting lost, not falling off the edge of the world. The Adventurer was found in pack ice, pack ice is found at the poles.

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:34 am

I think that flat earther is more relevant to the issue as a character than the cheapskate, however, your point makes since.

I reworded the option to avoid falling off the earth.

“Everyone knows that you’ll reach the Great Ice Wall if you sail too far!” exclaims infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@ while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will get trapped in ice!

This also makes more sense because one of the more popular flat earth models has ice all around the world.
https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_Freq ... _Questions
Political Compass Score:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:47 pm

The Super Fork wrote:“Everyone knows that you’ll reach the Great Ice Wall if you sail too far!” exclaims infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@ while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will get trapped in ice!

Okay, that's better, I would take out the "it would be too expensive" bit. The guy is arguing about safety, not money.

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:02 am

Baggieland wrote:
The Super Fork wrote:“Everyone knows that you’ll reach the Great Ice Wall if you sail too far!” exclaims infamous flat-earther @@RANDOMNAME@@ while trying to flatten your globe with a rolling pin. “It would be too expensive to use all that fancy radar to track boats, especially when the solution is obvious: Ban boating! If no one sails, no one will get trapped in ice!

Okay, that's better, I would take out the "it would be too expensive" bit. The guy is arguing about safety, not money.

Relics from the cheapskate :roll: Fixed.
Political Compass Score:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:01 am

Looking good.

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 am

Any other suggestions or comments?
Political Compass Score:

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:19 am

Go for it.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:13 am

It's a fun issue, send it in.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

The Super Fork
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby The Super Fork » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 am

Submitted!
Political Compass Score:

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:06 am

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:09 am

Good luck!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?