NATION

PASSWORD

Scorinators (OOC Discussion)

A battle ground for the sportsmen and women of nations worldwide. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bongo Johnson
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 18, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Bongo Johnson » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:45 am

Are there any guides for creating a custom sport XML? Trying to make a horseshoes event based on similar scoring for table tennis (as both games go to 21, win by 2) but can't seem to get the new XML recognized by Xkoranate. I assume this has something to do with the fact that I don't have a way to create the ._horseshoes file in the main sports directory like all the other sports do
Proud host of World Bowl XXXII and World Bowl XXXIII
Appearances: 2 (82, 83)
Current rank: 148th
Highest rank: 41st (83)
Lowest rank: 262nd (79)
Best finish: Round 1 (82, 83)

G.A.F.A. I Undefeated Season and Champions
G.A.F.A. II 11-0 Regular Season

Free Republics
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:53 am

Bongo Johnson wrote:Are there any guides for creating a custom sport XML? Trying to make a horseshoes event based on similar scoring for table tennis (as both games go to 21, win by 2) but can't seem to get the new XML recognized by Xkoranate. I assume this has something to do with the fact that I don't have a way to create the ._horseshoes file in the main sports directory like all the other sports do

Those ._ files don't actually do anything so that's not it. The problems I've seen over the years are usually caused by either leaving a blank line at the end of the file or by forgetting to rename the event in the file. Don't change the "paradigm" though or its not going to work. Definitely don't delete any tags either.

I don't remember what they're called atm but the tags that tell xkoranate what to call the scorinator should be easy to identify.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25
Current Senior Consul: Nova Hellstrom-Hancock (Golden Age)
Current Junior Consul: Samuel Izmailov (Nat-Gre)
Demonym: Republican
Trigram: FFR
Official Nation Name: Federation of Free Republics
Stop Biden: Vote Trump!

Indusse
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 21, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Indusse » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 am

Is there any Android scorinators
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------
------------------

Resume
Issue Author: #1428
IAC 13 Champions

Krytenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Krytenia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:14 pm

Indusse wrote:Is there any Android scorinators

Nobody's created one as of yet, no.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Thu May 30, 2019 12:37 pm

Anyone have any simple Olympic Scorinators I could use on say, ChromeOS?
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

Baranil
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Baranil » Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Does anybody know if there is a tutorial for how to program formulas and/or sports on xkoranate or where to learn how to program them?
Uses NS Stats.

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Thu May 30, 2019 4:12 pm

San Carlos Islands wrote:Anyone have any simple Olympic Scorinators I could use on say, ChromeOS?

The only existing scorinator that could scorinate an Olympics is xkoranate which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. My understanding is that ChromeOS either can or will soon be able to run Linux apps but to run xkoranate on Linux, you have to compile it yourself from source (and I remember having to make a few minor changes to the GUI portion of the code to replace deprecated function calls so it would compile with the then-current version of QT a few years ago). If you don't understand enough about computer programming to do this (and buying a Windows computer isn't an option), your best option is to run xkoranate on a public Windows computer such as one at a school/university or public library. As long as you are able to insert a flash drive into the computer or download files onto the computer's hard drive, xkoranate should work on Windows because the Windows version doesn't have to be installed (the Mac version requires an install including the ability to bypass Gatekeeper).

Baranil wrote:Does anybody know if there is a tutorial for how to program formulas and/or sports on xkoranate or where to learn how to program them?

Its impossible to add paradigms to xkoranate without modifying the source code so you have to base any new formula and/or sport off of an existing one.

If you're not familiar with the basics of xml syntax (closing tags in the same order that you open them, the need to close every tag, the 2 different ways to close tags, etc.) then you should first read a tutorial about the basics of XML. I'm not going to attempt to explain XML because its easy enough to find an XML tutorial through a search engine.

In terms of the files included with xkoranate, the files that have "__" at the start of their name are simply garbage, perform no function whatsoever and are not necessary in the slightest. You can safely ignore them and do not need one of those files for any new .xml files you create.

The other thing to keep in mind is that xkoranate reads all files in the sports folder regardless of their extension so if you change a file's extension to .bak or .txt instead of .xml, that doesn't do anything and xkoranate will still read it.

In terms of the tags, the <name> tag is the internal name that xkoranate calls the option specified in the file. If you're creating a new file, it should be changed to some unique name. The <discipline> tag contains the name of the first level that is displayed in xkoranate (for example "association football" or "american football"). The <event> tag contains the name of the second level and the <scorinator> tag is used for the third level. If the value in <discipline> is unique then you don't need <event>. If the pair of values in <discipline> and <event> are unique, then you don't need <scorinator>. An example of using all 3 can be seen in the American Football scorinators which have options for both IFAF and sudden death overtime (different types of overtime).

The <paradigm> tag contains the name of the paradigm used by the scorinator. You should not change this unless you don't want your file to work. Thus, you should start by copying an existing file that uses a similar paradigm.

Inside the <paradigmOptions> tag, there are a number of tags. The <int> tags must contain a whole number (meaning no decimals). The <double> tags can contain decimal numbers. The <string> tags can contain any letters or numbers. (These correspond to those data types in C++ so you shouldn't enter a number greater than 2 billion or less than negative 2 billion inside an <int> tag but you shouldn't come anywhere close to those kinds of numbers anyway.) As for what the various types mean, I think most of that is self-explanatory. In SQIS, the "constantA" and "constantB" affect randomness and "attacks" affects how many opportunities each team has to score. You can get an idea for all of the options that exist within an xkoranate paradigm by opening up many different files that use the same paradigm.

To test out a formula for a head to head event, save it then close and restart xkoranate (or start xkoranate if you don't already have it open), enter 2 teams/entrants and scorinate at least a 1000 round robin. Modify the skills and style mods and run additional scorinations as needed. You can determine the randomness from looking at the results in the tables after all the matches are done. If you want to test average scoring levels, just use the calculator program on your computer to divide the total scoring across all matches by the total number of matches.

I think that probably covers most of what you'd need to know to be able to create new xkoranate files.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions
1st: DBC 28, X Winter Olympics, Independents Cup 4, CoH 66, WBC 46, World Bowl XXXVIII, World Cup 85
2nd: World Cup 68, DBC 27, U15WC 8, UWCFA Gold Cup I, BoI 15, 2nd Imperial Chap Olympiad, NSCF 11
Host: World Cups 68 & 81, CoH 58, Games of XIII Olympiad, X Winter Olympics, World Bowls XXII, XXXI & XXXVIII, WBCs 42 & 46, RUWC 25

Baranil
Envoy

Founded: Oct 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Baranil » Fri May 31, 2019 3:56 am

Free Republics wrote:
San Carlos Islands wrote:Anyone have any simple Olympic Scorinators I could use on say, ChromeOS?

The only existing scorinator that could scorinate an Olympics is xkoranate which runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. My understanding is that ChromeOS either can or will soon be able to run Linux apps but to run xkoranate on Linux, you have to compile it yourself from source (and I remember having to make a few minor changes to the GUI portion of the code to replace deprecated function calls so it would compile with the then-current version of QT a few years ago). If you don't understand enough about computer programming to do this (and buying a Windows computer isn't an option), your best option is to run xkoranate on a public Windows computer such as one at a school/university or public library. As long as you are able to insert a flash drive into the computer or download files onto the computer's hard drive, xkoranate should work on Windows because the Windows version doesn't have to be installed (the Mac version requires an install including the ability to bypass Gatekeeper).

Baranil wrote:Does anybody know if there is a tutorial for how to program formulas and/or sports on xkoranate or where to learn how to program them?

Its impossible to add paradigms to xkoranate without modifying the source code so you have to base any new formula and/or sport off of an existing one.

If you're not familiar with the basics of xml syntax (closing tags in the same order that you open them, the need to close every tag, the 2 different ways to close tags, etc.) then you should first read a tutorial about the basics of XML. I'm not going to attempt to explain XML because its easy enough to find an XML tutorial through a search engine.

In terms of the files included with xkoranate, the files that have "__" at the start of their name are simply garbage, perform no function whatsoever and are not necessary in the slightest. You can safely ignore them and do not need one of those files for any new .xml files you create.

The other thing to keep in mind is that xkoranate reads all files in the sports folder regardless of their extension so if you change a file's extension to .bak or .txt instead of .xml, that doesn't do anything and xkoranate will still read it.

In terms of the tags, the <name> tag is the internal name that xkoranate calls the option specified in the file. If you're creating a new file, it should be changed to some unique name. The <discipline> tag contains the name of the first level that is displayed in xkoranate (for example "association football" or "american football"). The <event> tag contains the name of the second level and the <scorinator> tag is used for the third level. If the value in <discipline> is unique then you don't need <event>. If the pair of values in <discipline> and <event> are unique, then you don't need <scorinator>. An example of using all 3 can be seen in the American Football scorinators which have options for both IFAF and sudden death overtime (different types of overtime).

The <paradigm> tag contains the name of the paradigm used by the scorinator. You should not change this unless you don't want your file to work. Thus, you should start by copying an existing file that uses a similar paradigm.

Inside the <paradigmOptions> tag, there are a number of tags. The <int> tags must contain a whole number (meaning no decimals). The <double> tags can contain decimal numbers. The <string> tags can contain any letters or numbers. (These correspond to those data types in C++ so you shouldn't enter a number greater than 2 billion or less than negative 2 billion inside an <int> tag but you shouldn't come anywhere close to those kinds of numbers anyway.) As for what the various types mean, I think most of that is self-explanatory. In SQIS, the "constantA" and "constantB" affect randomness and "attacks" affects how many opportunities each team has to score. You can get an idea for all of the options that exist within an xkoranate paradigm by opening up many different files that use the same paradigm.

To test out a formula for a head to head event, save it then close and restart xkoranate (or start xkoranate if you don't already have it open), enter 2 teams/entrants and scorinate at least a 1000 round robin. Modify the skills and style mods and run additional scorinations as needed. You can determine the randomness from looking at the results in the tables after all the matches are done. If you want to test average scoring levels, just use the calculator program on your computer to divide the total scoring across all matches by the total number of matches.

I think that probably covers most of what you'd need to know to be able to create new xkoranate files.

Thank you for the explanation.
Uses NS Stats.

San Carlos Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby San Carlos Islands » Fri May 31, 2019 8:33 am

Free Republics wrote:

Thanks! I'll look into that. Looks like I'll be hosting my regional Olympics, but I'll be on vacation over the same time and won't have access to my PC.
Foreign Affairs Director for the League of Conservative Nations

WA Ambassador: Trinity Ryan
WA Information: wa.mission.gov.sci

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm running a college football tournament on my region's forums, and just scorinated the first matchday (SQIS, home advantage, NSFS-3 style multiplicative style mods).

Polarii Conference
Bandar Sports Institute 7–31 University of Saint Andreisburg
Tamaric University of Clarendon 0–13 University of Ozorus
Universität Zimmerich 27–10 Universitetet avf Sundet

Polarii Conference Pld W D L PF PA PD
1 University of Saint Andreisburg 1 1 0 0 31 7 +24
2 Universität Zimmerich 1 1 0 0 27 10 +17
3 University of Ozorus 1 1 0 0 13 0 +13
4 Tamaric University of Clarendon 1 0 0 1 0 13 −13
5 Universitetet avf Sundet 1 0 0 1 10 27 −17
6 Bandar Sports Institute 1 0 0 1 7 31 −24

Doll Guldurian Conference
Institut Privé de Genève 28–3 Eastern Military Grand School
Garnet A&T 7–6 Orca County Tech
National University of Aurum 23–14 AINPSI

Doll Guldurian Conference Pld W D L PF PA PD
1 Institut Privé de Genève 1 1 0 0 28 3 +25
2 National University of Aurum 1 1 0 0 23 14 +9
3 Garnet A&T 1 1 0 0 7 6 +1
4 Orca County Tech 1 0 0 1 6 7 −1
5 AINPSI 1 0 0 1 14 23 −9
6 Eastern Military Grand School 1 0 0 1 3 28 −25

Auran Conference
Badgerroot State 0–21 Karl Marx University
Universitetet i Keiserholde 25–7 Encrissa Capital University
Armed Forces University 6–3 Eranshia Parliamentary University

Auran Conference Pld W D L PF PA PD
1 Karl Marx University 1 1 0 0 21 0 +21
2 Universitetet i Keiserholde 1 1 0 0 25 7 +18
3 Armed Forces University 1 1 0 0 6 3 +3
4 Eranshia Parliamentary University 1 0 0 1 3 6 −3
5 Encrissa Capital University 1 0 0 1 7 25 −18
6 Badgerroot State 1 0 0 1 0 21 −21

Andolian Conference
University of Ourican 33–0 North Scootle National Institute
Basric National University 0–17 The Royal Academy of Eranshia
Metchosin University 47–21 University of Earths

Andolian Conference Pld W D L PF PA PD
1 University of Ourican 1 1 0 0 33 0 +33
2 Metchosin University 1 1 0 0 47 21 +26
3 The Royal Academy of Eranshia 1 1 0 0 17 0 +17
4 Basric National University 1 0 0 1 0 17 −17
5 University of Earths 1 0 0 1 21 47 −26
6 North Scootle National Institute 1 0 0 1 0 33 −33

So my question is--is this normal? It seems like only about a quarter of the games were at all close, while another quarter were shutouts and the remaining games were totally dominated by one team or the other.

It's an unranked tournament, so a lot of teams didn't rp and thus have a bonus of 0--a lot more have a bonus of 2 points for endorsing our delegate (as part of an endorsement drive we're doing in the region). Only a handful of teams actually got any rp bonus this round (the maximum bonus is currently 12). Does having teams with a rank of 0 lead to results like these? Or is it totally normal? Tbh, I don't really follow american football so I don't know how likely it is to see these sorts of results.
rəswɛsən

Seraxinbourgh
Spokesperson

Founded: May 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraxinbourgh » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Recuecn wrote:I'm running a college football tournament on my region's forums, and just scorinated the first matchday (SQIS, home advantage, NSFS-3 style multiplicative style mods).

Polarii Conference

Auran Conference

Andolian Conference

So my question is--is this normal? It seems like only about a quarter of the games were at all close, while another quarter were shutouts and the remaining games were totally dominated by one team or the other.

It's an unranked tournament, so a lot of teams didn't rp and thus have a bonus of 0--a lot more have a bonus of 2 points for endorsing our delegate (as part of an endorsement drive we're doing in the region). Only a handful of teams actually got any rp bonus this round (the maximum bonus is currently 12). Does having teams with a rank of 0 lead to results like these? Or is it totally normal? Tbh, I don't really follow american football so I don't know how likely it is to see these sorts of results.

Those results aren't as close as what you would usually expect in the NFL, but they have a salary cap and a draft in order to balance the league out. So if your league doesn't have anything to balance teams out, I would guess that these results would seem fairly normal.

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Seraxinbourgh wrote:
Recuecn wrote:I'm running a college football tournament on my region's forums, and just scorinated the first matchday (SQIS, home advantage, NSFS-3 style multiplicative style mods).

Polarii Conference

Auran Conference

Andolian Conference

Those results aren't as close as what you would usually expect in the NFL, but they have a salary cap and a draft in order to balance the league out. So if your league doesn't have anything to balance teams out, I would guess that these results would seem fairly normal.

The total scoring is a bit low because the unmodified SQIS is known to produce unrealistically low scores but it is normal for NCAA football games to be blowouts. Most of the games played by Alabama and Clemson last year were blowouts and those were the 2 best teams in the country. Georgia, which was the consensus best team not to make the playoffs last year, did not play a single game decided by 7 points or less until the SEC Championship.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions

Commonwealth of Baker Park
Minister

Founded: Jan 10, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Commonwealth of Baker Park » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:10 pm

I just found this link in the sig of another player several days ago (credit to Saltstead!), and I thought it explained some basic ideas about the math behind scorination formulas. http://s15.zetaboards.com/NSWF3/topic/7842809/1/

As for the genesis of your question, for a first round of games, I don't think there is a huge problem with any of the results except the two with single digit scores on both sides. Not that they aren't realistic, but in this day & age they are much more outliers. The only variable you didn't mention was whether style is included. That would make a subtle difference in a situation where you don't have skill rank. generally we use -5 to +5 as a style modifier. if you did include that, try and compare what each team's style number is to how they performed.

As Free Republics said, the SQIS is bit too low scoring which is why switched the NSCF to the World Bowl formula, to bring a bit more realism compared to how scores are higher today.

I wouldn't sweat over the results from the first couple of weeks, you'll see a pattern emerge, and a bit of parity the first few rounds will maybe keep interest up. If you want to generate a regional camaraderie, unpredictability is a good way to build that.

I for one will be interested to know how things are progressing later. TG me when you've gotten farther along, or if you have questions that aren't scorinator related.
Rugby World Cup 36 Champions/ AOCAF 62 & 66 Champions
2x Under-18 World Cup (SWC 5&9) Champions
DBC 53/74th U21 World Cup Champions
Eagles Cup 13 Runner-Up
Baptism of Fire 67 Runner-Up
AOCAF LVIII (co-hosts), LX Third Place
World Cup 85, AOCAF LXIII, Women's World Cup 15 Fourth Place
World Cup 90 Quarterfinals (Co-hosts)
World Cup 81/82/83/84(co-hosts)/86/87/88/94 Round of 16
World Cup 80/89/91/92/93 Group Stage
Basketball
AOBC 5 Champions
Football
NSCF 5x Mineral Conference Champions (18/19/20/21/23)
Lacrosse
WLC President
WLC 38 Third Place
WLC 34/41 Fourth Place
WLC 30/31(host)/32/33/35/36/37 (host)/39 Quarterfinal
WLC 29 Playoff Round

Rugby 7's AORC 1&2 Champions
AO Twenty20 Runner-up

Recuecn
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 02, 2015
New York Times Democracy

Postby Recuecn » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Thanks all for the responses. Seems like there's not too much cause for concern.

We are using style mods, yes, so I'm not really worrying about low-scoring games as much as one-sided ones. (Although the one low scoring game, one team had a mod of about negative 2.5 while the other had a mod of +4.1, so... weird. But that doesn't bother me.) That said, which formula do you mean when you refer to the World Bowl Formula? The NSFS3 formula?

Commonwealth of Baker Park, I'll let you know how things go, although eventually I would expect to be seeing blowouts as the rpers continue to rp and the non-rpers don't.
rəswɛsən

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Recuecn wrote:Thanks all for the responses. Seems like there's not too much cause for concern.

We are using style mods, yes, so I'm not really worrying about low-scoring games as much as one-sided ones. (Although the one low scoring game, one team had a mod of about negative 2.5 while the other had a mod of +4.1, so... weird. But that doesn't bother me.) That said, which formula do you mean when you refer to the World Bowl Formula? The NSFS3 formula?

Commonwealth of Baker Park, I'll let you know how things go, although eventually I would expect to be seeing blowouts as the rpers continue to rp and the non-rpers don't.

There's a World Bowl XXII Formula and a Post-World Bowl XXXI Formula. The World Bowl XXII Formula roughly doubles scoring compared to the unmodified SQIS but is otherwise the same. The Post-World Bowl XXXI Formula is a modified version of World Bowl XXII that reduces the number of blowouts (and correspondingly increases the number of upsets).
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:20 pm

On the previous NS Olympics there are some sports, like esports and underwater hockey, which are not on xkoranate. Are the files for these public, and if yes, where can I find them?
Ðe United Provinces and Territories of Ðe Furbiſh Iſlands
Sic semper tyrannis!
Population: 283.503.325
GDP: $10,095 trillion
Currency: Furbish Guilder, ƒ1 = $1,9655
Monarch: Willem van Orange-Nassau
Stadtholder: Adjoa Iſamaan
Prime Minister: Arthur Trudeau

A social liberal Pacific island paradise, formerly a
Dutch, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish colony.
Computer science major and stereotypical nerd.
Russian, born in Israel, currently in
Massachusetts, the best state in the US.

This country is mostly based on my RL beliefs.
FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 pm

Furbish Islands wrote:On the previous NS Olympics there are some sports, like esports and underwater hockey, which are not on xkoranate. Are the files for these public, and if yes, where can I find them?

They should all be available on my Google Drive. That had a complete copy of my xkoranate sports folder as of approximately the start of the Olympics plus all the other files that were created afterwards.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Free Republics wrote:
Furbish Islands wrote:On the previous NS Olympics there are some sports, like esports and underwater hockey, which are not on xkoranate. Are the files for these public, and if yes, where can I find them?

They should all be available on my Google Drive. That had a complete copy of my xkoranate sports folder as of approximately the start of the Olympics plus all the other files that were created afterwards.

Thank you!
Sic semper tyrannis!

FBC News: Dover Man Charged With Assault With Deadly Weapon After Throwing Alligator Through Denny's Drive-Thru Window | Three New High Speed Rail Corridors Clear Environmental Review

Audioslavia
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Audioslavia » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 am

The Racing Scorinator V2.3
Save to your own Google Drive (recommended) or download and run in Excel (has been known to have problems in the past)
See an error? Leave a comment on the file, or make a post on this thread, or send me a TG

Previous Version

The updated version of The Racing Scorinator makes scorinating and posting to forums as quick and painless as possible, and adds a few new features.

When you open the scorinator, you’ll see a lot of numbers and formulas all firing at once. Don’t panic! You needn’t concern yourself with any of the formulas. All you have to do is follow the instructions below.

Let me know if anything needs to be added, or is confusing in any way.

Setting up the Scorinator

ENTERING DRIVERS
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the orange boxes on the left.
- Insert the information for each driver. Nationality should be in the form of a trigram. 'DRV' is the trigram of the driver's family name. Make sure no two drivers have the same number. Make sure no drivers have the same DRV trigram.
- Enter the driver's RATE abilities.
= 'R' stands for 'Reliability'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= 'A' stands for 'Aggression'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= 'T' stands for 'Technique'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= When the above abilities are added together they should be equal to, or less than, 12. Examples: R4 A4 T4 / R5 A3 T4 / R3.05 A4.1 T4.85
= 'E' stands for 'Experience'. Here you should enter a number between 0 and 20.
- The information should automatically appear on all the relevant sheets.

ENTERING TEAMS
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the blue boxes in the middle.
- Enter the team name and nationality. The nationality should be in the form of a trigram.
- If desired, enter one symbol for the team’s tyre manufacturer (more on that later). This is optional. Leaving this blank is fine.
- If desired, enter a hexadecimal code (a # followed by six numbers/letters) for the team’s colour. For example, #ff0000 is bright red. This is optional. Leaving this blank is fine.
- Enter the team's RATE abilities.
= 'A' stands for 'Aerodynamics'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= 'T' stands for 'Technical and Engineering skills'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= When the above abilities are added together they should be equal to, or less than, 12. EG R4 A4 T4 / R5 A3 T4 / R3.05 A4.1 T4.85
= 'E' stands for 'Experience'. Here you should enter a number between 0 and 5.

ENTERING TYRE MANUFACTURERS
- Using Tyre Manufacturers is optional. You may skip this step entirely if you prefer.
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the purple boxes in the middle.
- Enter the name of each tyre manufacturer and a single letter monogram to represent the team. For example, ‘Bridgestone’ would be represented by a ‘B’, Goodyear by a ‘G’ etc.
= Under ‘Reliability’, enter a number between 0 and 10.
= Under ‘Traction’, enter a number between 0 and 10.
= When the above abilities are added together they should be equal to 10. E.G. (R5 T5, R3.5 T6.5, R8 E2)

ENTERING CIRCUITS
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the green boxes on the right.
- Enter each circuit's nationality (in the form of a trigram), Circuit Name, Grand Prix Name and a url for the track image.
- Under ‘Type’, leave this section blank unless you’re using the circuit for a non-race event - IE pre-season testing, mid-season testing or a non-championship race (one that won’t count towards the final points total for teams or drivers).
- The greyed 'fastest expected laptime' columns are automated. Ignore these.
- Enter the track's lap record. This should be for a WGPC-speed car.
- Enter the length of the track in kilometres.
- Ignore the '# of laps' column. This is automatic.
- For the circuit's Aggressiveness rating, enter a number in the 'A' column. This number should be between 1 and 9.
- For the circuit's Technical Difficulty, enter a number between 1 and 9. The A and T numbers should add up to ten.
- If the qualifying type is 'Traditional', enter 'T'. If it's two-tiered, enter 'TT'. If qualification type is 'One Shot', put 'OS'. For elimination qualifying, enter ‘E’
- Under 'Chance of Rain (%)' enter the percentage chance of an event being wet. This number should be between 1 and 20. 1 means there will be a 1% chance of a wet race and 1.5% chance of a 'changeable' race. 20% means there will be a 20% chance of a wet race and a 30% chance of a 'changeable' race. Use 5% as an average.
- Enter the 'overtaking difficulty' stat for each circuit. This should be a number between 0.1 and 5, with 5 being difficult to overtake (narrow circuit / street circuit) and 0.1 being easy (wide circuit / fast circuit). 2.5 is average.
- Enter the 'Margin for Error' stat for each circuit. This should be a number between 0.1 and 5, with 5 meaning mistakes are punished severely (narrow circuit / street circuit / large gravel traps) and 0.1 meaning driver errors are less costly (wide circuit / circuit with large tarmac runoff areas). 2.5 is average.

GENERAL SEASON INFO
- Just to the right of the circuits you'll see some boxes for general info about the season.
- Enter the 'kilometres per race' on the right hand side. This is 305 for the WGPC. It will probably be lower for WGP2 and lower again for most types of racing. Have a look on wikipedia if you aren't sure.
- For 'Speed of Cars' put '100' if the cars are Formula 1 standard, '90' if the cars are GP2 standard or 85 if they're WGPT3 standard. You would put 45 or so for touring cars, 60 for Formula E cars etc. Again, have a google if you aren't sure.
- If you’d like a team’s colour to be put next to their name, enter a ‘Y’ next to ‘Show Team Colours, else put an ’N’.
- Enter the amount of points awarded per race on the right-hand-side of the yellow fields. If these aren't in descending order then you're doing something very wrong. At the bottom of this list there is an option to allocate points for the driver who is fastest in qualifying.
- There is the option to have limited spots in the race compared to the amount of registered drivers, meaning, for example, that up to thirty different drivers can contest qualifying but with only, say, 24 making the starting grid. Set the amount of drivers to start the race by altering the number next to 'drivers on grid'. For the maximum possible, this should be set to thirty (an uncommonly large number for top-tier open wheel racing)
- To the right of these green and gold boxes there are some red boxes. It's not a good idea to edit these unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's probably okay to lower the 'spin constant' or 'crash constant' numbers if you find races are a little incident-heavy for your liking, but I wouldn't raise or lower any of them by more than a couple of points.

Scorinating

SCORINATING PRACTICE EVENTS

- Sort out RP bonuses first.
- Go to the 'Scorinate' tab. In the B1 field next to 'raceweek' you should put the current week of the season. For the first event this number would be '1'.
- Enter 'P' (meaning 'Practice') in field B2.
- The results for that practice event should then be displayed. This may take a minute.
- Copy and paste the information displayed into notepad (or similar) and neaten it up.
- Paste into thread in PRE tags.

SCORINATING QUALIFYING EVENTS
- Sort out RP bonuses.
- Go to the 'Scorinate' tab. In the B1 field next to 'raceweek' you should put the week. For the first event, this number should be '1'.
- Enter 'Q' (for 'Qualifying') in field B2.
- Results for qualifying should appear. These will be in the yellow box for most types of qualifying, or the blue box below for Elimination qualifying
- If you’re doing cutoffs, you can copy and paste the orange ‘cutoff text’(cells E2 and F2) directly into a post.
- Copy and paste the information displayed in the yellow boxes into notepad (or similar) and neaten it up.
- Paste into thread
- You'll see a row of purple cells to the left of the yellow box. Highlight these and hit ctrl+c
- Go to the 'Standings' tab and look for the purple fields under the heading 'Starting Grid'. Select the top blank cell (IE for race one this would be cell Q4). Right-click and in the 'paste special' submenu select 'paste values only'. This will set up the starting grid for Sunday's race. It will also set the random number generator back in motion, so your results are now lost in the scorinator. This is why you copy and paste the yellow boxes into notepad first.

SCORINATING RACE EVENTS

- Sort out RP bonuses.
- Go to the 'Starting Grid' tab and check that the cars are in the correct order on the grid by checking the 'Starting Grid' section. If it's race one, then you should find a list of numbers in fields Q4 to Q33.
- Go to the 'Scorinate' tab. In the C1 field next to 'raceweek' you should put the week. For the first event, this number should be '1'.
- Put an 'R' (for 'race') in field C2. Wait a few moments (likely a minute) and the race results should appear in the big cyan and green boxes in columns K to Q.
- Copy and paste the information displayed into notepad (or similar) and neaten it up.
- You'll notice a row of yellow numbers in blue boxes next to the big yellow box. Select all the blue boxes and hit 'ctrl+c'.
- Go to the 'Standings' tab and select the first blank box in the rows of blue boxes. Select the top blank cell (IE for race one this would be cell AM4). Right-click and in the 'paste special' submenu select 'paste values only'. This sets the spreadsheet's random number generator back into motion, so the race's results will be replaced. This is why you copy and paste into notepad first.
- Go back to the 'Scorinate' tab and copy and paste the updated drivers and constructors' championship standings into notepad.
- Neaten up and post in PRE tabs.

GRADING RP BONUS
- Go to the 'RP bonus' tab
- Write the trigram of every RPer in the leftmost column.
- The first column, headed '1' is for all RPs written before the first race. The maximum RP bonus is 10.
- The scorinator runs on a multiplicative/degrading system. RPs graded for the current race are multiplied by 5. Previous races are multiplied by smaller and smaller numbers until they approach '1', in which case they stay the same.
- If you'd prefer to use an additive RP bonus system, then you can simply replace all of the numbers at the top with a '1' in each field.

New for Version 2
The 'Experience' Metric'
The figure entered into the ‘Experience’ field works as a multiplier for RP bonuses. It only affects a driver's performance if they roleplay during the season. A driver with an Experience score of 2.5 would have their RP bonus mulitplied by 1.025. A driver with an experience score of 25 would have their RP bonus multiplied by 1.25.

ELIMINATION QUALIFYING

Elimination qualifying takes place over four sessions. In the first thirty-minute session, each driver tries to record a fast lap. The drivers with the slowest times are eliminated. How many drivers get eliminated depends on how big the grid is. A 20-team grid would see 15 drivers progress to round two, a 26 team grid would see 20 drivers progress. It’s set at 75% of the starting grid.

More drivers are eliminated with each round, until the final round sees the top 25% of the grid duke it out for top spot.

USING IMAGES

In the 'images' tab you can ignore columns A and B, which are automatic.

On the top right there are optional images for posting to the forum. These appear automatically in the 'scorinate' tab in the event's information box.

If you want some cutoff music, enter it below. If you don’t know what a cutoff is, ignore this.

SAFETY CAR OPTIONS
Putting a ‘V’ in cell AV8 in the Input tab will enable the Virtual Safety Car, whereas putting an ‘R’ in the cell will enable the Real Safety Car. Here are the differences between the two:

THE VIRTUAL SAFETY CAR
In the event of a bad crash, a virtual safety car is deployed, during which time all drivers must keep to a slow laptime (at minimum about 120% of the circuit's fastest lap, meaning drivers would be forced to complete laps at 75 seconds per lap for a circuit which has a fastest lap of 60 seconds. This will be slower for wet races)

THE REAL SAFETY CAR
In the event of a bad crash, a safety car is deployed. All drivers will queue up behind the safety car. Lapped drivers will begin to un-lap themselves so they can join on to the back of the train[/pre]

Signups Templates
These templates contain the minimum information required. You can add various RP stuff to this if you want.

DRIVER SIGNUPS
Driver Name:
Name Trigram:
Nationality Trigram:
Preferred Number:
Reliability (Between 2 and 5):
Aggression (Between 2 and 5):
Technique (Between 2 and 5):
R/A/T ratings should add up to a maximum of 12.
Experience (Between 0 and 25):

TEAM SIGNUPS
Team Name:
Team Nationality (Trigram):
Aerodynamics (Between 2 and 5):
Technical and Engineering Skills: (Between 2 and 5):
Experience: (Between 0 and 10)

TYRE MANUFACTURER SIGNUPS (Optional)
Manufacturer Name:
Monogram:
Reliability (Between 0-10)
Traction (Between 0-10)

Reliability and Traction ratings should add up to no more than 10

CIRCUIT SIGNUPS
Circuit Name:
Grand Prix Name:
Track Image:
Lap Record (F1/WGPC Car):
Track Length (km):
Qualifying Type (Elimination, Traditional, One-Shot or Two-Tiered):
Chance of being a wet race (1%-20%)
Overtaking difficulty (0.1 - 5. 0.1 is easy, 5 is difficult):
Margin for Error (0.1 - 5. 0.1 is forgiving, 5 is treacherous):

Aggressiveness (1-10):
Technical Difficulty (1-10):
(Both these numbers should add up to 10)

Limitations

Thing that might break the scorinator Workaround

A driver or team's 'experience' rating goes to more Don't put a driver or team's 'experience' rating to more than three
than three decimal places. decimal places.

Drivers appear to be racing despite not qualifying, or When copying the starting grid to the Standings tab,
drivers with blank names are shown in the results. make sure you copy *ALL* the purple fields over, and
remember to right-click and 'paste special->paste values only

Removing a driver during the season You will need to copy and [paste special]>[paste values only]
THE ENTIRE ROW of driver info on the Standings and Bonus
sheet to one of the empty rows below the roster of drivers on that
sheet. This should ensure their points still show up in
the drivers/teams championship standings.

Drivers switching teams during the season This is a fart. I recommend you instigate a 'one team per season'
rule for drivers.

A race having more than 98 laps Don't have races that last for more than 98 laps.

Having more than 30 drivers on the grid. Don't have more than 30 drivers on the grid.

Lots of 'N/A' fields in the yellow boxes It might be because you have a driver or team with a very long name.
in the 'scorinate' tab Try putting a larger number in the 'character limit' box in the
'scorinate' tab.

Accidentally deleting or overwriting a cell Good luck!
and not being able to find which one it was

Everything just says ‘#REF’ Make sure the team names are spelled correctly, both next to the driver
and in the ’Teams’ box.

Lots of 'N/A' fields or lots of ERROR! fields. Could be anything. Contact me.

FAQ
Q: Is this the WGPC scorinator?
A: More or less. The WGPC17 scorinator was very similar.

Q: Is this scorinator as buggy as previous editions?
A: Probably. There will be bugs. Let me know if you see one.

Q: Is this scorinator balanced?
A: I can imagine no situation wherein someone could properly balance the 'R' metric with the 'A' and 'T' metrics. 'A' and 'T' compliment each other, so they're fine, but 'R' used to be a little under-powered. It might be over-powered in this version or it might still be under-powered. I don't know. If you're doing some sort of statistics or maths thesis at university and have a spare couple of years you might want to have a look at it.

Q: This is a bit overwhelming...
A: It is a little, yes, I suppose. You can make it easier by ignoring anything that's in a grey box. The bits that you'll need to enter data into are generally colourful.

Q: Can I make changes to the formulas?
A: Sure, go ahead.

Q: SHOULD I make changes to this sheet?
A: If you know what you're doing then sure, why not?

Q: I haven't used any spreadsheets before, actually.
A: Then no. You should probably change nothing.

Q: I found an error in the sheet...
A: Awesome! Please TG me and leave a note in the scorinators thread

Q: What do the 'RATE' things do?
A: Drivers take their 'A' skills from their own Aggression stats and their car's Aerodynamic stats and multiply them by the course's Aggressiveness stats. It's the same with the Technique/Technical Skills/Technical Difficulty stats. The reliability stat controls how often they crash or spin or destroy their car, how well they do in the wet and also governs things like how many flying laps they can attempt in practice and qualifying.

Q: In previous editions of WGPC the winner was always a driver and/or team that min-maxed their ACR/RATE/Whatever you’re calling it these days. Does that still happen?
A: Maybe? I don’t know. Here’s what I know:

Advantages of Low Reliability and High Aero/Tech Builds (eg R/A/T skills of 2/5/5)
Your car will be faster than other cars
Your peak performance in qualifying will be faster than everyone else’s
If you’re a little lucky, you’ll be very, very fast.

Disadvantages of Low Reliability and High Aero/Tech Builds (eg R/A/T skills of 2/5/5)
Your chances of having a minor accident during the race increase.
When you have a minor accident, you’ll lose more time than other drivers
Your pit-stops are longer
Your chances of retiring from a race increase
You get fewer attempts at qualifying.
Your chances of not setting a time at all in qualifying increase
In general, your results may seem to be random.
Your chances of crashing on wet tracks increase

Q: You've only just released this scorinator. Barely anyone else has used it. How is it possible that you have 'frequently asked questions'
A: How is it possible that your face has frequently asked questions, you mean.

Q: I pressed a button and all the results changed and it's messed everything up!
A: Don't press a button. The moment you scorinate you should:
(a) Immediately copy and paste the results into notepad.
(b) After qualifying you should immediately C+P the final qualifying positions into the racegrid and, after the race, you should immediately copy and paste the results into the results grid.
If you do anything between (a) and (b) then you will lose your data.

Q: I’m getting a load of errors. What did I do wrong?
A: The most common mistake people have made is that there’s a difference between the name of a team as listed next to the driver and as listed in the ‘Teams’ section. Check that.

Next, check you haven’t accidentally deleted or overwritten a cell. This happens from time to time.

If results aren’t showing up, try increasing the character limits (C12, D12 and D11 in the Scorinate tab.

Q: Can a team change drivers in the middle of a seasons?
A: Yes, that's not too much of a problem. Simply go to their row in the Standings tab, highlight the entirety of a driver's row, hit Ctrl+C, and then go to the first free spot and right click > paste special > paste values only. Then enter the new driver's information where the old driver's info used to be in the 'Input' tab. All that's changed is that you'll have to manually add the old driver's points-scored into the constructor's championship thing when you post it.

Q: Can a driver drive for two teams during a season.
A: If you don't mind that you'd have to do the standings manually then sure.
Last edited by Audioslavia on Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Furbish Islands
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Furbish Islands » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:10 pm

Hello again. Looking at some past Winter Olympics and the ongoing World Aquatics Championships, I noticed there are some more events(E.G. Nordic combined, yukigassen, 50m backstroke, high diving, etc.) that aren't in xkoranate by default. Have the files for those been made public?
Sic semper tyrannis!

Pambudia
Diplomat

Founded: May 14, 2014
Democratic Socialists

Postby Pambudia » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Audioslavia wrote:
The Racing Scorinator V2.3
Save to your own Google Drive (recommended) or download and run in Excel (has been known to have problems in the past)
See an error? Leave a comment on the file, or make a post on this thread, or send me a TG

Previous Version

The updated version of The Racing Scorinator makes scorinating and posting to forums as quick and painless as possible, and adds a few new features.

When you open the scorinator, you’ll see a lot of numbers and formulas all firing at once. Don’t panic! You needn’t concern yourself with any of the formulas. All you have to do is follow the instructions below.

Let me know if anything needs to be added, or is confusing in any way.

Setting up the Scorinator

ENTERING DRIVERS
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the orange boxes on the left.
- Insert the information for each driver. Nationality should be in the form of a trigram. 'DRV' is the trigram of the driver's family name. Make sure no two drivers have the same number. Make sure no drivers have the same DRV trigram.
- Enter the driver's RATE abilities.
= 'A' stands for 'Aggression'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= 'T' stands for 'Technique'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= When the above abilities are added together they should be equal to, or less than, 12. Examples: R4 A4 T4 / R5 A3 T4 / R3.05 A4.1 T4.85
= 'E' stands for 'Experience'. Here you should enter a number between 0 and 20.
- The information should automatically appear on all the relevant sheets.

ENTERING TEAMS
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the blue boxes in the middle.
- Enter the team name and nationality. The nationality should be in the form of a trigram.
- If desired, enter one symbol for the team’s tyre manufacturer (more on that later). This is optional. Leaving this blank is fine.
- If desired, enter a hexadecimal code (a # followed by six numbers/letters) for the team’s colour. For example, #ff0000 is bright red. This is optional. Leaving this blank is fine.
= 'A' stands for 'Aerodynamics'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= 'T' stands for 'Technical and Engineering skills'. Enter a number between 2 and 5.
= When the above abilities are added together they should be equal to, or less than, 12. EG R4 A4 T4 / R5 A3 T4 / R3.05 A4.1 T4.85
= 'E' stands for 'Experience'. Here you should enter a number between 0 and 5.

ENTERING TYRE MANUFACTURERS
- Using Tyre Manufacturers is optional. You may skip this step entirely if you prefer.
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the purple boxes in the middle.
- Enter the name of each tyre manufacturer and a single letter monogram to represent the team. For example, ‘Bridgestone’ would be represented by a ‘B’, Goodyear by a ‘G’ etc.
= Under ‘Reliability’, enter a number between 0 and 10.
= Under ‘Traction’, enter a number between 0 and 10.
= When the above abilities are added together they should be equal to 10. E.G. (R5 T5, R3.5 T6.5, R8 E2)

ENTERING CIRCUITS
- Go to the 'Input' tab. Find the green boxes on the right.
- Enter each circuit's nationality (in the form of a trigram), Circuit Name, Grand Prix Name and a url for the track image.
- Under ‘Type’, leave this section blank unless you’re using the circuit for a non-race event - IE pre-season testing, mid-season testing or a non-championship race (one that won’t count towards the final points total for teams or drivers).
- The greyed 'fastest expected laptime' columns are automated. Ignore these.
- Enter the track's lap record. This should be for a WGPC-speed car.
- Enter the length of the track in kilometres.
- Ignore the '# of laps' column. This is automatic.
- For the circuit's Aggressiveness rating, enter a number in the 'A' column. This number should be between 1 and 9.
- For the circuit's Technical Difficulty, enter a number between 1 and 9. The A and T numbers should add up to ten.
- If the qualifying type is 'Traditional', enter 'T'. If it's two-tiered, enter 'TT'. If qualification type is 'One Shot', put 'OS'. For elimination qualifying, enter ‘E’
- Under 'Chance of Rain (%)' enter the percentage chance of an event being wet. This number should be between 1 and 20. 1 means there will be a 1% chance of a wet race and 1.5% chance of a 'changeable' race. 20% means there will be a 20% chance of a wet race and a 30% chance of a 'changeable' race. Use 5% as an average.
- Enter the 'overtaking difficulty' stat for each circuit. This should be a number between 0.1 and 5, with 5 being difficult to overtake (narrow circuit / street circuit) and 0.1 being easy (wide circuit / fast circuit). 2.5 is average.
- Enter the 'Margin for Error' stat for each circuit. This should be a number between 0.1 and 5, with 5 meaning mistakes are punished severely (narrow circuit / street circuit / large gravel traps) and 0.1 meaning driver errors are less costly (wide circuit / circuit with large tarmac runoff areas). 2.5 is average.

GENERAL SEASON INFO
- Just to the right of the circuits you'll see some boxes for general info about the season.
- Enter the 'kilometres per race' on the right hand side. This is 305 for the WGPC. It will probably be lower for WGP2 and lower again for most types of racing. Have a look on wikipedia if you aren't sure.
- For 'Speed of Cars' put '100' if the cars are Formula 1 standard, '90' if the cars are GP2 standard or 85 if they're WGPT3 standard. You would put 45 or so for touring cars, 60 for Formula E cars etc. Again, have a google if you aren't sure.
- If you’d like a team’s colour to be put next to their name, enter a ‘Y’ next to ‘Show Team Colours, else put an ’N’.
- Enter the amount of points awarded per race on the right-hand-side of the yellow fields. If these aren't in descending order then you're doing something very wrong. At the bottom of this list there is an option to allocate points for the driver who is fastest in qualifying.
- There is the option to have limited spots in the race compared to the amount of registered drivers, meaning, for example, that up to thirty different drivers can contest qualifying but with only, say, 24 making the starting grid. Set the amount of drivers to start the race by altering the number next to 'drivers on grid'. For the maximum possible, this should be set to thirty (an uncommonly large number for top-tier open wheel racing)
- To the right of these green and gold boxes there are some red boxes. It's not a good idea to edit these unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's probably okay to lower the 'spin constant' or 'crash constant' numbers if you find races are a little incident-heavy for your liking, but I wouldn't raise or lower any of them by more than a couple of points.

Scorinating

SCORINATING PRACTICE EVENTS

- Sort out RP bonuses first.
- Go to the 'Scorinate' tab. In the B1 field next to 'raceweek' you should put the current week of the season. For the first event this number would be '1'.
- Enter 'P' (meaning 'Practice') in field B2.
- The results for that practice event should then be displayed. This may take a minute.
- Paste into thread in PRE tags.

SCORINATING QUALIFYING EVENTS
- Sort out RP bonuses.
- Go to the 'Scorinate' tab. In the B1 field next to 'raceweek' you should put the week. For the first event, this number should be '1'.
- Enter 'Q' (for 'Qualifying') in field B2.
- Results for qualifying should appear. These will be in the yellow box for most types of qualifying, or the blue box below for Elimination qualifying
- If you’re doing cutoffs, you can copy and paste the orange ‘cutoff text’(cells E2 and F2) directly into a post.
- Copy and paste the information displayed in the yellow boxes into notepad (or similar) and neaten it up.
- Paste into thread
- You'll see a row of purple cells to the left of the yellow box. Highlight these and hit ctrl+c
- Go to the 'Standings' tab and look for the purple fields under the heading 'Starting Grid'. Select the top blank cell (IE for race one this would be cell Q4). Right-click and in the 'paste special' submenu select 'paste values only'. This will set up the starting grid for Sunday's race. It will also set the random number generator back in motion, so your results are now lost in the scorinator. This is why you copy and paste the yellow boxes into notepad first.

SCORINATING RACE EVENTS

- Sort out RP bonuses.
- Go to the 'Starting Grid' tab and check that the cars are in the correct order on the grid by checking the 'Starting Grid' section. If it's race one, then you should find a list of numbers in fields Q4 to Q33.
- Go to the 'Scorinate' tab. In the C1 field next to 'raceweek' you should put the week. For the first event, this number should be '1'.
- Put an 'R' (for 'race') in field C2. Wait a few moments (likely a minute) and the race results should appear in the big cyan and green boxes in columns K to Q.
- You'll notice a row of yellow numbers in blue boxes next to the big yellow box. Select all the blue boxes and hit 'ctrl+c'.
- Go to the 'Standings' tab and select the first blank box in the rows of blue boxes. Select the top blank cell (IE for race one this would be cell AM4). Right-click and in the 'paste special' submenu select 'paste values only'. This sets the spreadsheet's random number generator back into motion, so the race's results will be replaced. This is why you copy and paste into notepad first.
- Go back to the 'Scorinate' tab and copy and paste the updated drivers and constructors' championship standings into notepad.
- Neaten up and post in PRE tabs.

GRADING RP BONUS
- Go to the 'RP bonus' tab
- Write the trigram of every RPer in the leftmost column.
- The first column, headed '1' is for all RPs written before the first race. The maximum RP bonus is 10.
- The scorinator runs on a multiplicative/degrading system. RPs graded for the current race are multiplied by 5. Previous races are multiplied by smaller and smaller numbers until they approach '1', in which case they stay the same.
- If you'd prefer to use an additive RP bonus system, then you can simply replace all of the numbers at the top with a '1' in each field.

New for Version 2
The 'Experience' Metric'
The figure entered into the ‘Experience’ field works as a multiplier for RP bonuses. It only affects a driver's performance if they roleplay during the season. A driver with an Experience score of 2.5 would have their RP bonus mulitplied by 1.025. A driver with an experience score of 25 would have their RP bonus multiplied by 1.25.

ELIMINATION QUALIFYING

Elimination qualifying takes place over four sessions. In the first thirty-minute session, each driver tries to record a fast lap. The drivers with the slowest times are eliminated. How many drivers get eliminated depends on how big the grid is. A 20-team grid would see 15 drivers progress to round two, a 26 team grid would see 20 drivers progress. It’s set at 75% of the starting grid.

More drivers are eliminated with each round, until the final round sees the top 25% of the grid duke it out for top spot.

USING IMAGES

In the 'images' tab you can ignore columns A and B, which are automatic.

On the top right there are optional images for posting to the forum. These appear automatically in the 'scorinate' tab in the event's information box.

If you want some cutoff music, enter it below. If you don’t know what a cutoff is, ignore this.

SAFETY CAR OPTIONS
Putting a ‘V’ in cell AV8 in the Input tab will enable the Virtual Safety Car, whereas putting an ‘R’ in the cell will enable the Real Safety Car. Here are the differences between the two:

THE VIRTUAL SAFETY CAR
In the event of a bad crash, a virtual safety car is deployed, during which time all drivers must keep to a slow laptime (at minimum about 120% of the circuit's fastest lap, meaning drivers would be forced to complete laps at 75 seconds per lap for a circuit which has a fastest lap of 60 seconds. This will be slower for wet races)

THE VIRTUAL SAFETY CAR
In the event of a bad crash, a safety car is deployed. All drivers will queue up behind the safety car. Lapped drivers will begin to un-lap themselves so they can join on to the back of the train[/pre]

Signups Templates
These templates contain the minimum information required. You can add various RP stuff to this if you want.

DRIVER SIGNUPS
Driver Name:
Name Trigram:
Nationality Trigram:
Preferred Number:
Aggression (Between 2 and 5):
Technique (Between 2 and 5):
Experience (Between 0 and 25):

TEAM SIGNUPS
Team Name:
Team Nationality (Trigram):
Aerodynamics (Between 2 and 5):
Technical and Engineering Skills: (Between 2 and 5):
Experience: (Between 0 and 10)

TYRE MANUFACTURER SIGNUPS (Optional)
Manufacturer Name:
Monogram:
Reliability (Between 0-10)
Traction (Between 0-10)

Reliability and Traction ratings should add up to no more than 10

CIRCUIT SIGNUPS
Circuit Name:
Grand Prix Name:
Track Image:
Lap Record (F1/WGPC Car):
Track Length (km):
Qualifying Type (Elimination, Traditional, One-Shot or Two-Tiered):
Chance of being a wet race (1%-20%)
Overtaking difficulty (0.1 - 5. 0.1 is easy, 5 is difficult):
Margin for Error (0.1 - 5. 0.1 is forgiving, 5 is treacherous):

Aggressiveness (1-10):
Technical Difficulty (1-10):
(Both these numbers should add up to 10)

Limitations

Thing that might break the scorinator Workaround

A driver or team's 'experience' rating goes to more Don't put a driver or team's 'experience' rating to more than three
than three decimal places. decimal places.

Drivers appear to be racing despite not qualifying, or When copying the starting grid to the Standings tab,
drivers with blank names are shown in the results. make sure you copy *ALL* the purple fields over, and
remember to right-click and 'paste special->paste values only

Removing a driver during the season You will need to copy and [paste special]>[paste values only]
THE ENTIRE ROW of driver info on the Standings and Bonus
sheet to one of the empty rows below the roster of drivers on that
sheet. This should ensure their points still show up in
the drivers/teams championship standings.

Drivers switching teams during the season This is a fart. I recommend you instigate a 'one team per season'
rule for drivers.

A race having more than 98 laps Don't have races that last for more than 98 laps.

Having more than 30 drivers on the grid. Don't have more than 30 drivers on the grid.

Lots of 'N/A' fields in the yellow boxes It might be because you have a driver or team with a very long name.
in the 'scorinate' tab Try putting a larger number in the 'character limit' box in the
'scorinate' tab.

Accidentally deleting or overwriting a cell Good luck!
and not being able to find which one it was

Everything just says ‘#REF’ Make sure the team names are spelled correctly, both next to the driver
and in the ’Teams’ box.

Lots of 'N/A' fields or lots of ERROR! fields. Could be anything. Contact me.

FAQ
Q: Is this the WGPC scorinator?
A: More or less. The WGPC17 scorinator was very similar.

Q: Is this scorinator as buggy as previous editions?
A: Probably. There will be bugs. Let me know if you see one.

Q: Is this scorinator balanced?
A: I can imagine no situation wherein someone could properly balance the 'R' metric with the 'A' and 'T' metrics. 'A' and 'T' compliment each other, so they're fine, but 'R' used to be a little under-powered. It might be over-powered in this version or it might still be under-powered. I don't know. If you're doing some sort of statistics or maths thesis at university and have a spare couple of years you might want to have a look at it.

Q: This is a bit overwhelming...
A: It is a little, yes, I suppose. You can make it easier by ignoring anything that's in a grey box. The bits that you'll need to enter data into are generally colourful.

Q: Can I make changes to the formulas?
A: Sure, go ahead.

Q: SHOULD I make changes to this sheet?
A: If you know what you're doing then sure, why not?

Q: I haven't used any spreadsheets before, actually.
A: Then no. You should probably change nothing.

Q: I found an error in the sheet...
A: Awesome! Please TG me and leave a note in the scorinators thread

Q: What do the 'RATE' things do?
A: Drivers take their 'A' skills from their own Aggression stats and their car's Aerodynamic stats and multiply them by the course's Aggressiveness stats. It's the same with the Technique/Technical Skills/Technical Difficulty stats. The reliability stat controls how often they crash or spin or destroy their car, how well they do in the wet and also governs things like how many flying laps they can attempt in practice and qualifying.

Q: In previous editions of WGPC the winner was always a driver and/or team that min-maxed their ACR/RATE/Whatever you’re calling it these days. Does that still happen?
A: Maybe? I don’t know. Here’s what I know:

Advantages of Low Reliability and High Aero/Tech Builds (eg R/A/T skills of 2/5/5)
Your car will be faster than other cars
Your peak performance in qualifying will be faster than everyone else’s
If you’re a little lucky, you’ll be very, very fast.

Disadvantages of Low Reliability and High Aero/Tech Builds (eg R/A/T skills of 2/5/5)
Your chances of having a minor accident during the race increase.
When you have a minor accident, you’ll lose more time than other drivers
Your pit-stops are longer
Your chances of retiring from a race increase
You get fewer attempts at qualifying.
Your chances of not setting a time at all in qualifying increase
In general, your results may seem to be random.
Your chances of crashing on wet tracks increase

Q: You've only just released this scorinator. Barely anyone else has used it. How is it possible that you have 'frequently asked questions'
A: How is it possible that your face has frequently asked questions, you mean.

Q: I pressed a button and all the results changed and it's messed everything up!
A: Don't press a button. The moment you scorinate you should:
(a) Immediately copy and paste the results into notepad.
(b) After qualifying you should immediately C+P the final qualifying positions into the racegrid and, after the race, you should immediately copy and paste the results into the results grid.
If you do anything between (a) and (b) then you will lose your data.

Q: I’m getting a load of errors. What did I do wrong?
A: The most common mistake people have made is that there’s a difference between the name of a team as listed next to the driver and as listed in the ‘Teams’ section. Check that.

Next, check you haven’t accidentally deleted or overwritten a cell. This happens from time to time.

If results aren’t showing up, try increasing the character limits (C12, D12 and D11 in the Scorinate tab.

Q: Can a team change drivers in the middle of a seasons?
A: Yes, that's not too much of a problem. Simply go to their row in the Standings tab, highlight the entirety of a driver's row, hit Ctrl+C, and then go to the first free spot and right click > paste special > paste values only. Then enter the new driver's information where the old driver's info used to be in the 'Input' tab. All that's changed is that you'll have to manually add the old driver's points-scored into the constructor's championship thing when you post it.

Q: Can a driver drive for two teams during a season.
A: If you don't mind that you'd have to do the standings manually then sure.

Oh my god, this very useable and helpful to become alternative scorinate program likes Xkoranate. Thank you so much Audioslavia!
Garuda Pambudia | Business Outlook | Embassy Program

Proud Member of Indonesia Raya

Bersama - sama kita bersatu dalam ideologi Pancasila

Liventia
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 04, 2008

Postby Liventia » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:31 am

Furbish Islands wrote:Hello again. Looking at some past Winter Olympics and the ongoing World Aquatics Championships, I noticed there are some more events(E.G. Nordic combined, yukigassen, 50m backstroke, high diving, etc.) that aren't in xkoranate by default. Have the files for those been made public?

Nordic combined is an Olympic sport and files should exist by default.
It's not that difficult to create new files for the other sports if you know what you're doing.
Слава Україні!

Free Republics
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Republics » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:14 am

Liventia wrote:
Furbish Islands wrote:Hello again. Looking at some past Winter Olympics and the ongoing World Aquatics Championships, I noticed there are some more events(E.G. Nordic combined, yukigassen, 50m backstroke, high diving, etc.) that aren't in xkoranate by default. Have the files for those been made public?

Nordic combined is an Olympic sport and files should exist by default.
It's not that difficult to create new files for the other sports if you know what you're doing.

I should add that the combined tables for Nordic combined are constructed manually by the host because xkoranate doesn't combine the two parts of the event automatically which is why the event is the biggest time sink of the Winter Olympics.
Why I left NS Sports
World Cup 85 Champions

Kelssek
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kelssek » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:18 am

Here is the link for the xkoranate sport files used in the World Aquatics Championships (for events which weren't already part of the standard set). Please let me know if you notice any problems, such as with how the sport crops up in the menu or with wonky results. I based them on the 2019 FINA World Championships.

One known issue is with the artistic swimming free routine scores. I tried several ways of getting it to give scores to the nearest 0.0333 within xkoranate but ended up rounding scores manually during the WAC. If someone figures this out, gravy, and please let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v81dty1bbs9ld ... events.zip

Brusseldorf
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 19, 2014

Postby Brusseldorf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:51 am

If I would like to scorinate a single friendly match against Bliuji, have I set this up the correct way?

I didn't know what to put in Max skill so I put Vilita's KPB ranking?
Morocco-Algeria ~ Democracy ~ Prime Minister Abelt Nejem ~ Spends on Defence, Information-Technology, Protecting the Environment, and Spirituality
The largest military in the region
Of course I use NS Stats, what do you think I’m doing here?!
Etymology: Brussels + Dusseldorf = Brusseldorf!

The Pacifican Islands said: all transit is green if there is no transit
taps head
The Grand Empire of Andor said: You can’t pollute the planet if there is no planet
Hits head with hammer

Quelsh said: "COOL FLAG BRUZELDERF"
Tattland said: "Did I just accidentally attack Quelsh"
The Garmillas Empire was an intergalactic Empire. A remnant group of the Garmillan people crashed on earth, where they were given refuge by Brusseldorf.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NS Sports