NATION

PASSWORD

US Pres. Election 1912 RP (Closed, 1916 if enough interest)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Sorry that I had to edit my most recent post 3 times. It was just the campaign listings nothing too important at all.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Founded: Jul 15, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Nova Anglicana » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Primaries have been completed and delegate counts are up, the convention is ready to begin!

The first thing, someone (not your candidate, presumably someone from a state you won) must nominate your candidate at the convention with a nominating speech. A good speech can swing some delegates to you, while a bad one might cause you to lose support.

Following the speeches, you may wheel and deal. Talk with your fellow players if possible, describe what you are doing on the convention floor and elsewhere, or TG me with offers and strategies. Try to swing the convention your way. You may talk about what you are doing or who you are talking to, but there will be no NPC reaction written by the players. I will decide how effective your strategies are.
Last edited by Nova Anglicana on Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Former WBC President (WBC 34-37), Current WBC President (WBC 56-58)

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up
WBC 39/44/50, WCoH 46, RUWC 31, Cup of Harmony 65, IBS III/VIII, AVBF 7s II

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place
WBC 29/38/49, IBS VII, RUWC XXI/XXVI, WJHC IV, Londinium 7s I, WCoH 28, RAHI II

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted
WBC 31/35, Londinium 7s I/II, IBS IX

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:19 pm

You can campaign for the support of other delegations that are not undecided, it will be harder than fighting for undecideds, but possible. Keep in mind that you do need to have an actual nominating speech about why your guy is the best, not just say that so and so gave a speech.

Champions
WBC 48, IBC 35/36, IBS XIII, WJHC VII, URSA 7s I, Port Louis 7s I, CE 29-30 (as NAAZE)

Runners-up

3rd Place
WBC 28/32/36, RUWC XXIX, Cup of Harmony 64, IBS V, WJHC V/VIII/XVI/XVII, Beltane Cup II, Londinium 7s II, R7WC VI (eliminated in semis, no 3PPO)

4th Place

Quarterfinals
WBC 27/30/31/37/41/43/47, IBS VI, IBC 15/31, WJHC VI/IX/XIV, RAHI I, AVBF Rugby Sevens I, RUWC XXIV/XXV

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 pm

Nova Anglicana wrote:You can campaign for the support of other delegations that are not undecided, it will be harder than fighting for undecideds, but possible. Keep in mind that you do need to have an actual nominating speech about why your guy is the best, not just say that so and so gave a speech.

I know that very much, writing mine as of now.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:16 am

Nova Anglicana wrote: You may talk about what you are doing or who you are talking to, but there will be no NPC reaction written by the players. I will decide how effective your strategies are.

I see some of you breaking this rule in the thread. Knock it off.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:39 am

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Nova Anglicana wrote: You may talk about what you are doing or who you are talking to, but there will be no NPC reaction written by the players. I will decide how effective your strategies are.

To be honest it’s not like you’re actually having any NPC reactions at all. William Jennings Bryan and Govenor Burke both supported Wilson, so I see no issue here.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 am

Nova Anglicana wrote:

My sincerest apologies if I have done so.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Greater Arab State
You do realize that not responding to my attacks isn’t an act of civility right? It’s just being neglectful and not paying attention to the concerns of the people. Not trying to be mean, just want to be reasonable.

Greater Arab State
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Greater Arab State » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:17 pm

Valtrona wrote:Greater Arab State
You do realize that not responding to my attacks isn’t an act of civility right? It’s just being neglectful and not paying attention to the concerns of the people. Not trying to be mean, just want to be reasonable.

Yes I do realise that it is, Clark's seeing it that way though, what with him being more traditional in his campaigning.

Additionally, good luck with the convention, your a great opponent.
Moggmentum
Trump 2024
This nation does not represent my political views.

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Greater Arab State wrote:
Valtrona wrote:Greater Arab State

Yes I do realise that it is, Clark's seeing it that way though, what with him being more traditional in his campaigning.

Additionally, good luck with the convention, your a great opponent.

Alright, just wanna make sure. I wish you the best of luck as well, quite a good opponent at the end of the primary race indeed.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:31 am

My apologies for being inactive yesterday. I had IRL commitments that prevented me from posting. The first ballot will be up today and later ballots will be up tomorrow and the following days if necessary.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:53 am

I love it how the OP is just going to ignore blantant historical fact, especially after they even set it up as for William Jennings Bryan to endorse Woodrow Wilson as in our time line. Not only will I meet with Bryan, I’ll have him privately reaffirm his support, and withdraw him condemning of Wilson. The OP didn’t even try to resolve this issue with a compromise, just a “Im right and your wrong so you’ll lose the Convention as a result!”. The OP even ignored all the other endorsements as well, but this one just seemed too “unrealistic”, when it happened in our own timeline the same way as it did in the IC.
Last edited by Valtrona on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:00 am

Valtrona wrote:I love it how the OP is just going to ignore blantant historical fact, especially after they even set it up as for William Jennings Bryan to endorse Woodrow Wilson as in our time line. Not only will I meet with Bryan, I’ll have him privately reaffirm his support, and withdraw him condemning of Wilson. The OP didn’t even try to resolve this issue with a compromise, just a “Im right and your wrong so you’ll lose the Convention as a result!”. The OP even ignored all the other endorsements as well, but this one just seemed too “unrealistic”, when it happened in our own timeline the same way as it did in the IC.

The whole point of this is that the way things happened historically don’t have to be the same as how they happen in this RP. History can change in this game. If everything happened exactly the way it happened in history, there would be no point in doing this. We have already changed history by not having Taft run for re-election. I told you that you could win his endorsement, not that you did. You decided to unilaterally have him endorse you, despite the fact that I told you it was possible, not definite, and that I controlled NPC reaction. You are in breach of both the rules and what I told you. You can comply with the rules or you can leave.A

And, in case you hadn’t noticed, neither player has won or lost the convention. It is still very much up for grabs. I mentioned the many endorsements as well in this thread. You didn’t win the convention on the first ballot. That’s very normal for conventions in that time. If that’s what you’re sore about, I don’t know what to say.

You complain about how I didn’t compromise. I did. I could have had Bryan, a notoriously temperamental man, who sabotaged the 1904 convention so that he could maintain his superiority within the party, try to convince progressives to abandon you for lying about his endorsement. I didn’t. You picked up Indiana. Clark picked up a couple of conservative Southern states. Both of those make sense. Both of you gained. You can still win. I even think you have an advantage. You just haven’t won yet. Keep campaigning and we will see what happens.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:18 am

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Valtrona wrote:I love it how the OP is just going to ignore blantant historical fact, especially after they even set it up as for William Jennings Bryan to endorse Woodrow Wilson as in our time line. Not only will I meet with Bryan, I’ll have him privately reaffirm his support, and withdraw him condemning of Wilson. The OP didn’t even try to resolve this issue with a compromise, just a “Im right and your wrong so you’ll lose the Convention as a result!”. The OP even ignored all the other endorsements as well, but this one just seemed too “unrealistic”, when it happened in our own timeline the same way as it did in the IC.

The whole point of this is that the way things happened historically don’t have to be the same as how they happen in this RP. History can change in this game. If everything happened exactly the way it happened in history, there would be no point in doing this. We have already changed history by not having Taft run for re-election. I told you that you could win his endorsement, not that you did. You decided to unilaterally have him endorse you, despite the fact that I told you it was possible, not definite, and that I controlled NPC reaction. You are in breach of both the rules and what I told you. You can comply with the rules or you can leave.

And, in case you hadn’t noticed, neither player has won or lost the convention. It is still very much up for grabs. I mentioned the many endorsements as well in this thread. You didn’t win the convention on the first ballot. That’s very normal for conventions in that time. If that’s what you’re sore about, I don’t know what to say.

You complain about how I didn’t compromise. I did. I could have had Bryan, a notoriously temperamental man, who sabotaged the 1904 convention so that he could maintain his superiority within the party, try to convince progressives to abandon you for lying about his endorsement. I didn’t. You picked up Indiana. Clark picked up a couple of conservative Southern states. Both of those make sense. Both of you gained. You can still win. I even think you have an advantage. You just haven’t won yet. Keep campaigning and we will see what happens.

Yet when I’ve done things like this, you ignore them. You even said that the West was virtually untouched, when Wilson has been campaigning there for the first part of the Convention. Also, you even had it set up for Bryan’s endorsement. I honestly see no reason as to why when Clark was endorsed by the Tammany Hall, that Bryan wouldn’t endorse Wilson. It’s not just historical, it’s also realistic. And that’s not much of a compromise. It was more of a “you got Indiana but Bryan is neutral” basically nullifying not only what Wilons said up to this point, but what Clark said as well. I know both of us can still win, that’s what makes it fun. Yet you just had Bryan pull a move that, IC wise, made no sense. I honestly don’t see how you can justify having Bryan act the way he does unless it’s just to show that you have complete control, and don’t care aobut the results of anything. Also, you didn’t even mention the other endorsements that I’ve received, other than just saying it didn’t happen. It’s just Bryan that you seemed to care about.

In that case, what’s the point? I joined to have some fun and gain some experience. I knew the rules but hoped that you would be open to compromise that made historical and IC sense, now that’s down the drain. It seems that this RP is more of a burden than anything. The people in the RP are just fine, and even though we’ve had our disagreements, I’d be willing to work with them more. But as the OP, it seems like you just negated a lot of the progress made by both sides. I still want to take part in this despite all that’s happened, but it seems like that’s not going to happen if the OP can’t make things that seem reasonable or even make sense in the IC.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 am

@Valtrona

The problem isnt because youre having William Jennings Bryan support you, its assuming as such before being confirmed by the OP, which he has warned about before.

"Wilson met with Bryan and convinced him to campaign for him" is not okay

"Wilson met with Bryan and attempted to convince him to support him by talking about XYZ" is okay and the OP would probably agree with you
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:14 am

I understand, but I did meet with William Jennings Bryan beforehand as well, before the Convention begun. I assumed, since the OP had the Tammany Hall endorsement, that Bryan would endorse Wilson. It was logical, and I guess I didn’t seem to understand why the OP didn’t want me to have an endorsement that they even set up.

Regardless, I would like to leave this RP. I honestly did have fun with this and it gave me some experience as to what to do. I hope you guys have a good RP without me. If you wish for me to stick around for a little while until the Convention ends that’s alright. If not, then I may see you guys in another RP down the line.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:31 am

Valtrona wrote:I understand, but I did meet with William Jennings Bryan beforehand as well, before the Convention begun. I assumed, since the OP had the Tammany Hall endorsement, that Bryan would endorse Wilson. It was logical, and I guess I didn’t seem to understand why the OP didn’t want me to have an endorsement that they even set up.

Regardless, I would like to leave this RP. I honestly did have fun with this and it gave me some experience as to what to do. I hope you guys have a good RP without me. If you wish for me to stick around for a little while until the Convention ends that’s alright. If not, then I may see you guys in another RP down the line.

so you suffered a setback and now youre taking your ball and going home?
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Dentali wrote:
Valtrona wrote:I understand, but I did meet with William Jennings Bryan beforehand as well, before the Convention begun. I assumed, since the OP had the Tammany Hall endorsement, that Bryan would endorse Wilson. It was logical, and I guess I didn’t seem to understand why the OP didn’t want me to have an endorsement that they even set up.

It’s not just a setback, it’s a lot of things. Both in this RP, others, and IRL. I don’t wanna leave, but it’s getting to the point where I have to. My apologies, here’s why:

1. This RP isn’t very fun for me honestly. Now, not because I’m not winning. I honestly wanted Wilson to end up losing down the road, but I wanted to make it seem realistic somewhat. Not to mention, the OP and you Dentali aren’t making the experience any better.
2. I never said I was gone for good. I planned on leaving after the convention is over to make the IC have a little more sense (Unlike the OP did). If you want me gone before, that’s fine.
3. It’s not just “one setback”, it’s actually a lot of things. First, I couldn’t get an endorsement because it’s unrealistic, fine. Second, I made a mistake and Dentali got mad when I corrected it, ok... Thirdly, the OP wouldn’t accept a legitimate endorsement that made sense both in a historical and an IC situation.
4. I’m already part of another RP that demands my attention. Considering they’ve need some help, I usually help those people out. I’m honestly a person you can compromise with, but it has to make sense for both sides. And since I’ve lost interest in this RP, I’ll just leave this one for the other.
5. I’ve also in a tight situation IRL. Even though I have free time as of now, that won’t last for too much longer. And this RP requires a lot of commitment that I won’t be able to give like before.

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:57 pm

Valtrona wrote:
Dentali wrote:

It’s not just a setback, it’s a lot of things. Both in this RP, others, and IRL. I don’t wanna leave, but it’s getting to the point where I have to. My apologies, here’s why:

1. This RP isn’t very fun for me honestly. Now, not because I’m not winning. I honestly wanted Wilson to end up losing down the road, but I wanted to make it seem realistic somewhat. Not to mention, the OP and you Dentali aren’t making the experience any better.
2. I never said I was gone for good. I planned on leaving after the convention is over to make the IC have a little more sense (Unlike the OP did). If you want me gone before, that’s fine.
3. It’s not just “one setback”, it’s actually a lot of things. First, I couldn’t get an endorsement because it’s unrealistic, fine. Second, I made a mistake and Dentali got mad when I corrected it, ok... Thirdly, the OP wouldn’t accept a legitimate endorsement that made sense both in a historical and an IC situation.
4. I’m already part of another RP that demands my attention. Considering they’ve need some help, I usually help those people out. I’m honestly a person you can compromise with, but it has to make sense for both sides. And since I’ve lost interest in this RP, I’ll just leave this one for the other.
5. I’ve also in a tight situation IRL. Even though I have free time as of now, that won’t last for too much longer. And this RP requires a lot of commitment that I won’t be able to give like before.

I respect your IRL commitments and your commitments to other RPers on this site. If you want to prioritize that over this, then I support you 100%. RL always comes first and your connections and friendships on this site are incredibly important. I am sorry that I and others in this RP have frustrated you. I understand that Dentali made an inappropriate comment as roosevelt that you believed stemmed from a misunderstanding of one of your speeches and that you have been frustrated when it comes to reaction time for NPCs. My IRL commitments prevented me from responding much on Saturday and Sunday with regards to NPCs.

I did set up the situation so that you could get Bryan’s endorsement or even that it was likely. But as Dentali said, you said he endorsed you, even when it was explicitly said that wasn’t allowed. That’s the root of the Bryan stays neutral development. If somebody doesn’t actually say something directly to you, and then you trumpet it as having been said to you or act as though they approve of you without their permission, they will take offense. If you had merely said, I talked to Bryan and laid out such and such reasons as to why he should endorse me, and then merely waited for the endorsement to come, it likely would have come. But you assumed you had it no matter what, and ran with it. Then you refused to go back on it when I asked you, even though it would have required minor revisions to some of your posts, eg removing the endorsement section of the initial post, changing talks of Bryan’s endorsement to having had conversations with Bryan, etc.

That may not satisfy you, but it is, I feel, a decent explanation of my position and the situation. I apologize if you feel I have been biased against you or treated you excessively harshly. It was not
My intention. Sometimes text does not convey the proper emotions or tone of people speaking. I do hope you will stay on through the general election should you win the convention or at least through the convention. I can’t stop you from leaving, but I can apologize for perceived mistreatment, try to explain myself as best I can, and ask you to stay and try to enjoy yourself. If you can’t or would prefer not to do that, then I understand and I wish you the best of luck.

EDIT: To the “I had wanted to make it realistic point”, the real convention took 40+ ballots and Bryan’s endorsement came quite late in the convention. I think it makes historical/realistic sense for Bryan not to endorse immediately and the convention to continue through a few more ballots.
Last edited by Nova Anglicana on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:18 pm

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Valtrona wrote:It’s not just a setback, it’s a lot of things. Both in this RP, others, and IRL. I don’t wanna leave, but it’s getting to the point where I have to. My apologies, here’s why:

I respect your IRL commitments and your commitments to other RPers on this site. If you want to prioritize that over this, then I support you 100%. RL always comes first and your connections and friendships on this site are incredibly important. I am sorry that I and others in this RP have frustrated you. I understand that Dentali made an inappropriate comment as roosevelt that you believed stemmed from a misunderstanding of one of your speeches and that you have been frustrated when it comes to reaction time for NPCs. My IRL commitments prevented me from responding much on Saturday and Sunday with regards to NPCs.

I did set up the situation so that you could get Bryan’s endorsement or even that it was likely. But as Dentali said, you said he endorsed you, even when it was explicitly said that wasn’t allowed. That’s the root of the Bryan stays neutral development. If somebody doesn’t actually say something directly to you, and then you trumpet it as having been said to you or act as though they approve of you without their permission, they will take offense. If you had merely said, I talked to Bryan and laid out such and such reasons as to why he should endorse me, and then merely waited for the endorsement to come, it likely would have come. But you assumed you had it no matter what, and ran with it. Then you refused to go back on it when I asked you, even though it would have required minor revisions to some of your posts, eg removing the endorsement section of the initial post, changing talks of Bryan’s endorsement to having had conversations with Bryan, etc.

That may not satisfy you, but it is, I feel, a decent explanation of my position and the situation. I apologize if you feel I have been biased against you or treated you excessively harshly. It was not
My intention. Sometimes text does not convey the proper emotions or tone of people speaking. I do hope you will stay on through the general election should you win the convention or at least through the convention. I can’t stop you from leaving, but I can apologize for perceived mistreatment, try to explain myself as best I can, and ask you to stay and try to enjoy yourself. If you can’t or would prefer not to do that, then I understand and I wish you the best of luck.

EDIT: To the “I had wanted to make it realistic point”, the real convention took 40+ ballots and Bryan’s endorsement came quite late in the convention. I think it makes historical/realistic sense for Bryan not to endorse immediately and the convention to continue through a few more ballots.

It’s perfectly fine. I tried to enjoy myself, and did at the start. RL can be brutal, and it’s coming to the closing of the school year and a lot of more work to do both in and out of school. Plus I’ve been in a “not so perfect” mood, so that’s why I’ve been less than cooperative, so my sincere apologies for that. And I do understand why you didn’t respond quick enough and I’m glad you understand why I may leave soon. And I’ve been part of the other RP since December, and it’s always been my priority as well. I joined this RP to get some more experience and learn a lot more about the time period. Even though it wasn’t as enjoyable as I figured the longer it continued, I felt as if I learned what I wanted to in the first place. So I thank you for that. I’ll stay until the Convention is over and put up a hell of a fight , but I won’t stay afterwards to the general election I’m sorry for that.

When it comes to the Bryan endorsement, I’d figured you would of wanted me to press harder. I would of written a more detailed response as to why Bryan should of endorsed Wilson, but from the telegram you sent it seemed that you were leaning towards letting William Jennings Bryan endorse Wilson, so that’s what I tried to make it do. Also, from what I got, it seemed like all my work didn’t really effect much. I had already set up the basics, so I figured I’d carry on from there. In addition, I think the Tammany Hall endorsement came much later, and it was soon after that Bryan endorsed Wilson. So that’s why Bryan endorsed much sooner, cause Tammany Hall endorsed sooner as well. I didn’t mean to break the rules, I was just trying to carry on with the Convention, and I’m sorry that I did so.

Regardless, I hope you all have fun in the General Election, and I’m sorry for how I’ve acted. I’ll put up a fight in the Convention but won’t continue into the General Election even if I somehow win. I hope to see some of you around some time soon!

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Valtrona wrote:
Nova Anglicana wrote:

It’s perfectly fine. I tried to enjoy myself, and did at the start. RL can be brutal, and it’s coming to the closing of the school year and a lot of more work to do both in and out of school. Plus I’ve been in a “not so perfect” mood, so that’s why I’ve been less than cooperative, so my sincere apologies for that. And I do understand why you didn’t respond quick enough and I’m glad you understand why I may leave soon. And I’ve been part of the other RP since December, and it’s always been my priority as well. I joined this RP to get some more experience and learn a lot more about the time period. Even though it wasn’t as enjoyable as I figured the longer it continued, I felt as if I learned what I wanted to in the first place. So I thank you for that. I’ll stay until the Convention is over and put up a hell of a fight , but I won’t stay afterwards to the general election I’m sorry for that.

When it comes to the Bryan endorsement, I’d figured you would of wanted me to press harder. I would of written a more detailed response as to why Bryan should of endorsed Wilson, but from the telegram you sent it seemed that you were leaning towards letting William Jennings Bryan endorse Wilson, so that’s what I tried to make it do. Also, from what I got, it seemed like all my work didn’t really effect much. I had already set up the basics, so I figured I’d carry on from there. In addition, I think the Tammany Hall endorsement came much later, and it was soon after that Bryan endorsed Wilson. So that’s why Bryan endorsed much sooner, cause Tammany Hall endorsed sooner as well. I didn’t mean to break the rules, I was just trying to carry on with the Convention, and I’m sorry that I did so.

Regardless, I hope you all have fun in the General Election, and I’m sorry for how I’ve acted. I’ll put up a fight in the Convention but won’t continue into the General Election even if I somehow win. I hope to see some of you around some time soon!

I’m glad that you enjoyed it, even for a little while and that you’ve learned something from this. Hopefully you’ve gotten more of a sense of a tumultuous time, the beginning of a transition period between party boss control and people control. A time when we tried to remedy the excesses of the previous period, when some thought we could move forward into a technocratic utopia and others saw it as a destruction of a way of life. Historians often point to the Wilson presidency as an expansion of presidential power, perhaps the beginnings of the “Imperial presidency”.

Again, I apologize if I caused you to misunderstand me and the situation. I did think it could lead to Bryan endorsing you, and I just wanted to plant the seed, not grow the entire tree in one go. On The first ballot, there isn’t usually much change. So I apologize if you felt your efforts came to naught. I think they would pay off later. The Tammany endorsement is my fault; I had intended for it to make the primary more competitive. If you had won the NY primary, then you’d be at more than 200 delegates and the gap between you and Clark would have been enormous, and I think it would have felt more like a forgone conclusion. So I gave Clark NY and laid the groundwork for a potential Bryan endorsement that could swing the convention. So that threw off your timeline. For that I apologize.

Please do stick around for the rest of the convention if you can, and, should you win, perhaps you could ask a friend or someone you know who is looking for an RP to take over Wilson’s spot? I understand you can’t stick around for the general, but would rather it not fall by the wayside either.

Thank you for participating and for allowing the situation here to resolve itself and be talked out rather than ending acrimoniously! I appreciate that. I’m not perfect as OP, and I have tried to walk a line between being firm with the rules and keeping people interested and engaged. When I haven’t done that, I apologize. But thank you for participating.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Given the above, we are still open for a dark horse candidate such as Judson Harmon, Oscar Underwood, Simeon Baldwin, or even someone like John W. Kern.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

The Koreans
Civil Servant

Founded: Mar 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Koreans » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:26 pm

Name: William Cameron Forbes (1870-1959)
Party: Republican
Current or former office held: Governor-General of the Philippines
Home state (if your candidate happens to be in the military then you may leave this blank): Massachusetts

Valtrona
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Valtrona » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Nova Anglicana wrote:
Valtrona wrote:It’s perfectly fine. I tried to enjoy myself, and did at the start. RL can be brutal, and it’s coming to the closing of the school year and a lot of more work to do both in and out of school. Plus I’ve been in a “not so perfect” mood, so that’s why I’ve been less than cooperative, so my sincere apologies for that. And I do understand why you didn’t respond quick enough and I’m glad you understand why I may leave soon. And I’ve been part of the other RP since December, and it’s always been my priority as well. I joined this RP to get some more experience and learn a lot more about the time period. Even though it wasn’t as enjoyable as I figured the longer it continued, I felt as if I learned what I wanted to in the first place. So I thank you for that. I’ll stay until the Convention is over and put up a hell of a fight , but I won’t stay afterwards to the general election I’m sorry for that.

I’m glad that you enjoyed it, even for a little while and that you’ve learned something from this. Hopefully you’ve gotten more of a sense of a tumultuous time, the beginning of a transition period between party boss control and people control. A time when we tried to remedy the excesses of the previous period, when some thought we could move forward into a technocratic utopia and others saw it as a destruction of a way of life. Historians often point to the Wilson presidency as an expansion of presidential power, perhaps the beginnings of the “Imperial presidency”.

Again, I apologize if I caused you to misunderstand me and the situation. I did think it could lead to Bryan endorsing you, and I just wanted to plant the seed, not grow the entire tree in one go. On The first ballot, there isn’t usually much change. So I apologize if you felt your efforts came to naught. I think they would pay off later. The Tammany endorsement is my fault; I had intended for it to make the primary more competitive. If you had won the NY primary, then you’d be at more than 200 delegates and the gap between you and Clark would have been enormous, and I think it would have felt more like a forgone conclusion. So I gave Clark NY and laid the groundwork for a potential Bryan endorsement that could swing the convention. So that threw off your timeline. For that I apologize.

Please do stick around for the rest of the convention if you can, and, should you win, perhaps you could ask a friend or someone you know who is looking for an RP to take over Wilson’s spot? I understand you can’t stick around for the general, but would rather it not fall by the wayside either.

Thank you for participating and for allowing the situation here to resolve itself and be talked out rather than ending acrimoniously! I appreciate that. I’m not perfect as OP, and I have tried to walk a line between being firm with the rules and keeping people interested and engaged. When I haven’t done that, I apologize. But thank you for participating.

That’s more that perfect. I should be able to stick around for the rest of the Convention, and I’ll try to find another RPer Incase Wilson does manage to win. If the OP allows it, someone can even apply for my position as Woodrow Wilson if they want it, that would make it much easier in that case. It has been an interesting experience to say the least, but I’m glad I’ve leaned some things about the period. By the way, “Imperial Presidency” is a perfect term for Wilson’s Administration, never though of it like that.

Yet again I’m sorry for how I’ve acted, and I’m sorry for not being able to stick it out. I sure hope that this RP sticks around for much longer and that it will succeed and be fun for all. I’m glad that this managed to be civil, especially without Dentali getting involved, and we managed to make a compromise of sorts. Regardless, hope you’ll all have fun and especially the OP!

Nova Anglicana
Minister

Postby Nova Anglicana » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:41 pm

The Koreans wrote:Name: William Cameron Forbes (1870-1959)
Party: Republican
Current or former office held: Governor-General of the Philippines
Home state (if your candidate happens to be in the military then you may leave this blank): Massachusetts

Welcome to the RP! Jump into the IC and get started. You could be the conservative champion the Republicans are looking for against Roosevelt. But you’ll have to be energetic about it. Since you’re in the Philippines, you might want to do a post sending a telegram to announce your candidacy. Please keep in mind that NPC reaction is governed by the OP.

Champions

Runners-up

3rd Place

4th Place

Quarterfinals

Hosted

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse