NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.
Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

[PASSED] On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:23 am

On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Consumer Protection | Proposed by: Cosmosplosion

Understanding the wide recreational usage of tobacco and other products containing nicotine;

Recognizing the addictive nature of nicotine;

Noting the exorbitant health care costs users of tobacco products incur due to the adverse health effects associated with tobacco, which in many cases, result in the death of member nation's own citizens at a young age, and further noting that in nations with government funded health care systems, the high tax-revenue cost associated with treating these health effects;

Acknowledging the popularity and lesser health risks of electronic cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco based products;

Emphasizing that the goal of this resolution is not to prevent people from purchasing tobacco and electronic cigarette products, but to establish a set of regulations on these industries and to promote the education of the risks associated with them;

The World Assembly hereby;

• Defines a "tobacco product" as a product containing tobacco plant for the intent of recreational consumption. These products include, but are not limited to, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and hookah;

• Further defines an "electronic cigarette" as a device containing a liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, used to simulate the experience of smoking tobacco;

• Mandates that all tobacco and electronic cigarette products containing nicotine which are intended for recreational consumption must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to be addictive;” and must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning should be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace.

• Requires that tobacco products must be labelled with an identifier which states, “This product is known to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, consumption is known to cause birth defects;” and must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning should be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace.

• Further requires that electronic cigarette products that contain a liquid intended to be vaporized must state, “Do not ingest. Keep out of reach of children and infants.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. This warning should be printed in the language local to the intended marketplace.

• Demands that member nations educate all residents on the long term effects of tobacco use, by funding informational campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit smoking or to replace tobacco products with electronic cigarettes or related products, while also funding informational campaigns targeted at non-smokers, using pictures, detailed descriptions, and/or other forms of media to demonstrate the negative effects associated with tobacco product usage;

Furthermore,

Recommends member nations establish poison control centers, which shall provide emergency control services in the event that a tobacco or electronic cigarette product is improperly ingested;

Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco products and electronic cigarettes to minors;

Urges member nations to prohibit advertisements for tobacco products;

Further encourages member nations to consider taking further action against tobacco use, especially among minors.

Co-authored by Akohos and Courelli

Hello, I don't try proposals often, but this is one that I couldn't really seem to find anything on and thought it may be a good place for me to get involved. I would like some feedback and perhaps a co-writer on this. I would like it to encompass more things within the industry if possible as well and would love some feedback and suggestions!

EDIT: Big shoutouts to my friends Akohos and Courelli for helping make this bill what it is now.

I intend on bringing this bill to the GA tomorrow (February 18th) as long as no more edits are needed. I'll be running a telegram campaign to WA delegates as well.

EDIT: The resolution has been submitted - Approve the resolution so it can reach quorum here.

EDIT: WE ARE IN QUORUM THIS IS NOT A DRILL. Voting is scheduled to begin at midnight tonight! If you are in support, spread the word!
Last edited by Wrapper on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:13 am, edited 32 times in total.
Former Minister of World Assembly Affairs - The North Pacific
Former WA Delegate - The Versutian Federation
Author of GAR #459 - On Tobacco and Electronic Cigarettes
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:27 am

If this comes up for a vote in the WA, I will vote fore it.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Great Alemonia
Political Columnist

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Alemonia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:14 am

Very nice.

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:17 am

American Pere Housh wrote:If this comes up for a vote in the WA, I will vote fore it.

Thank you!

Great Alemonia wrote:Very nice.

Thank you also. Glad to have some support in my region.

Any suggestions I'm open to them!
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting. - Che Guevara

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:26 am

"A good proposal, Ambassador. I certainly do think that there ought to be regulation on this issue, and I have been given permission by my Empress to support such a resolution if it reaches the General Assembly floor. If I may make a suggestion, I would advise that you divide Clause 3 into two parts, as the first half discusses the poison control services and the second mandates an additional labelling requirement.

"At present, I can give no advice in relation to legality; most health standards enacted over the years seem to pertain to the World Assembly Food and Drug Regulatory Agency, and (I would presume) cigarettes and vaping devices count neither as food nor drugs. However, my research is not comprehensive, and I am sure my learned colleagues will be able to contribute their opinions about legality in due course."
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:31 am

Iciaros wrote:"A good proposal, Ambassador. I certainly do think that there ought to be regulation on this issue, and I have been given permission by my Empress to support such a resolution if it reaches the General Assembly floor. If I may make a suggestion, I would advise that you divide Clause 3 into two parts, as the first half discusses the poison control services and the second mandates an additional labelling requirement.

"At present, I can give no advice in relation to legality; most health standards enacted over the years seem to pertain to the World Assembly Food and Drug Regulatory Agency, and (I would presume) cigarettes and vaping devices count neither as food nor drugs. However, my research is not comprehensive, and I am sure my learned colleagues will be able to contribute their opinions about legality in due course."

"That is a good point on dividing the clauses, Ambassador. I will definitely do that. As for the WAFDRA, I may be wrong, but I believe tobacco is neither, and due to its prevalence, may require a dedicated team. However, if someone else can present evidence to the contrary, I would update the proposal to reflect that."

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:36 am

"The Haven disagrees strongly with this proposal as it would serve as a breach of the Havenic constitution's absolute protection of free speech. The concept of a 'minor' is also something alien to us."
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:40 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:"The Haven disagrees strongly with this proposal as it would serve as a breach of the Havenic constitution's absolute protection of free speech. The concept of a 'minor' is also something alien to us."

"If the ambassador could, would you mind elaborating on how it breaches a free speech protection?

Further, the clause referencing minors could be altered to state that the education must happen within a primary school system, and in nations lacking a primary school system, a supplementary public information campaign could serve as an alternative."

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:44 am

Cosmosplosion wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:"The Haven disagrees strongly with this proposal as it would serve as a breach of the Havenic constitution's absolute protection of free speech. The concept of a 'minor' is also something alien to us."

"If the ambassador could, would you mind elaborating on how it breaches a free speech protection?

Further, the clause referencing minors could be altered to state that the education must happen within a primary school system, and in nations lacking a primary school system, a supplementary public information campaign could serve as an alternative."

"Essentially, if for example a tobacco company wishes to cover their packaging with brightly colored advertising promoting the product to younger users, they are quite welcome to. They may also decide, as most do, to actually claim on the packaging that the products has health benefits."
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:54 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Cosmosplosion wrote:"If the ambassador could, would you mind elaborating on how it breaches a free speech protection?

"Essentially, if for example a tobacco company wishes to cover their packaging with brightly colored advertising promoting the product to younger users, they are quite welcome to. They may also decide, as most do, to actually claim on the packaging that the products has health benefits."

"If I may interject, Ambassador, while I would not presume to tell you how to run your nation, I ought to note that if your claim about the way your tobacco industries function mirrors the manner in which other industries in your nation do, you may be in breach of such World Assembly resolutions as GAR#64 Food and Drug Standards, which already require clear labelling of food and drugs with correct information about quality and safety. The omission of such labels, or the inclusion of information on the packaging that directly contradicts what quality and safety information the labels would have conveyed, could be in breach of the resolution.

"Nonetheless, that is a side-track from the main discussion. I simply wished to note that there is precedent in the World Assembly for the regulation of how consumable products are displayed, which is what the Cosmosplosion Ambassador's resolution principally aims to achieve."

NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:58 am

American Pere Housh wrote:If this comes up for a vote in the WA, I will vote fore it.

what he said
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:14 am

Cameroi wrote:

what he said

Glad to hear!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:51 am

“My opposition to their proposal is complete and I oppose all attempts to introduce this law. 33% is an obscene amount and, given the fact that ingredients must be listed as well, you leave barely any room for branding and logos, which are essential to any business looking to make a profit. This is an unnecessary contravention on free speech and, for once, I fully agree with the ambassador from the Haven.”

(OOC: Contrarily to that, I support this proposal fully out of character. On another note, please put line breaks between the active clauses to aid reading comprehension.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:09 am

"While we agree with the regulation as a whole, I would suggest that the required space used for 'PSAs' be reduced to at least ten percent. Currently, you have sixty-six percent of the product relegated to oversized text."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:29 am

OOC.

Cosmosplosion wrote:Understanding the wide usage of tobacco and other nicotine-infused products;

This is like "understanding the wide usage of water"; that is, it is meaningless and makes no sense. I suggest adding something like "recreationally" somewhere in there.

Recognizing the addictive nature of nicotine and the adverse health effects related to tobacco products;

Nicotine and the tobacco health effects have practically nothing to do with one another, though. I would suggest separating these, and putting in some of the negative health effects and/or the costs they cause to public healthcare.

Further recognizing the popularity and lesser health risks of vaping, otherwise known as e-cigarettes;

Distinguishes the difference between a tobacco product and a vaping product. A tobacco product must contain tobacco, and a vaping product must contain propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin.

These should be put in the active clauses as definitions instead. Though I suggest spelling the terms out the first time you use them ("vapour inhaling" and "electronic cigarettes" to be specific) rather than using the slang. Also, you earlier on mention nicotine dependancy as a negative thing; that doesn't go anywhere just because you use vapour inhalers. (Which I'd suggest using instead of e-cigarettes, anyway.) Also, why must a "vaping" product use propylene glycol or (and why specifically vegetable?) glycerin?

Also, you lack any reasoning on why specifically any of the above is so bad a problem that it needs international legislation.

Establishes the Tobacco and Vaping Product Safety Committee;

The Tobacco and Vaping Product Safety Committee, here on referred to as TVPSC, shall be responsible for implementing the following regulations and establishing the following services;

Bad proposal, no cookie. A committee should never be the main aim of the proposal. It should be at most an afterthought helping to connect the efforts of the individual nations. You should rewrite and give as many functions as possible, to the member nations. You can do practically everything here without needing the committee at all.

1. All products containing nicotine must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to the World Assembly to be addictive.” This warning must take up at least 33% of the packaging of the product.

Even if they're pesticides or industrial chemical containers or fresh vegetables? Nicotine is produced by edible plants like potatoes, tomatoes and eggplants as well, just not in quantities that would make it a problem to those who eat them.

2. All products that contain tobacco must state, “This product is known to the World Assembly to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, smoking is known to cause birth defects.” This warning must take up at least 33% of the packaging of the product.

So together with the nicotine warning, that's 66% of the packaging now. Also, why? You're later on mandating education on dangers of tobacco use, so wouldn't everyone be aware of the dangers already? Also, I would suggest restricting tobacco and nicotine products to be sold only to those over the age of majority.

3. The TVPSC shall establish poison control services available to each nation, with 24 hour hotlines.

Why? Also, what of nations without the kind of phone services that you'd need to be able to take advantage of that?

All hotline operators must be given the knowledge of how to prevent harmful effects if a product not intended for ingestion is ingested.

This would be more suitable for a general poisoning hotline. In fact, if a nation already has that, why should they arrange a separate one only for tobacco/nicotine?

4. Vaping products which contain propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin must state, “Do not ingest. If ingested please contact the TPS Poison Control Hotline at (hotline number established by the TVPSC).” This warning must take up at least 33% of the packaging of the product.

And what of "vaping" products (seriously, don't use the slang, it looks ridiculous in law text) that contain glycerin that's not vegetable-based? Or which contain any other alcohol instead of propylene glycol?

5. As minors, all citizens must be educated on the long term effects of tobacco use, with the usage of pictures and informational pamphlets.

Why the fuck would you need pamphlets if you're incorporating it into general health education? Also, why only minors?

6. The TVPSC shall run information campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit or switch to vaping products;

Again, this should be done by nations, not the committee. Though I would like to ask where you're getting the nicotine from, to make all the "vaping" products?

7. The TVPSC shall determine procedures to ensure that all tobacco and vaping products are indeed what they claim to include and that all of these products are handled in a sanitary way. The TVPSC shall inspect each tobacco and vaping product manufacturing facility to determine if these manufacturing facilities are following the procedures properly.

...this seems to be an odd leap to the side. And again something the nations should be doing as part of general product safety control. Why make special case out of tobacco/nicotine products?

Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco and vaping products to minors;

Mandate this instead.

Further encourages member nations to consider taking further steps to prevent tobacco products from entering their markets at all;

Reword this in a way that allows nations to ban tobacco and nicotine recreational use products entirely.

Urges member nations to prevent advertisements for tobacco products;

Replace "prevent" with "ban".

this is one that I couldn't really seem to find anything on

That's because it was nearly impossible to get anything through in the old category for it.

Kenmoria wrote:“My opposition to their proposal is complete and I oppose all attempts to introduce this law. 33% is an obscene amount and, given the fact that ingredients must be listed as well, you leave barely any room for branding and logos, which are essential to any business looking to make a profit. This is an unnecessary contravention on free speech and, for once, I fully agree with the ambassador from the Haven.”

IC: "Actually, it's 66% of the total surface area of the packaging, but product branding was never part of free speech."

OOC: It's done in RL, the companies manage to put branding and logos on them just fine.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:45 am

"Of course the issue is one of free speech. The Haven allows anyone, person or organisation, to say what they like whether it be true or false, harmful or harmless, nice or nasty. Also, what is a 'minor?' Why do so many nations insist on discriminating against their younger citizens?"

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:01 am

Youre in violation of many existing WA resolutions by not recognising minors
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:02 am

Marxist Germany wrote:

Youre in violation of many existing WA resolutions by not recognising minors

I don't think so. Lots of resolutions define minors as someone below the age of majority, which the Haven doesn't have.

Arasi Luvasa
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 29, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Arasi Luvasa » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:03 am

"I don't think they necessarily are, say if minor is defined as anyone below age zero in their nation. While I find this barbaric, it is not necessarily illegal."
Ambassador Ariela Galadriel Maria Mirase
37 year old Arch-bishop of the Arasi Christian Church (also the youngest ever arch-bishop and fifth woman in the church hierarchy). An attractive but stern woman with a strict adherence to religious and moral ethical codes, also somewhat of an optimist. She was recently appointed to the position following the election of Adrian Midnight to the position of Patriarch.

Marxist Germany
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Marxist Germany » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:34 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Marxist Germany wrote:Youre in violation of many existing WA resolutions by not recognising minors

I don't think so. Lots of resolutions define minors as someone below the age of majority, which the Haven doesn't have.

you got me there
Author of GA#461, GA#470, GA#477, GA#481, GA#486 (co-author), and SC#295

Former delegate of The United Federations; citizen and former Senior Senator of 10000 Islands; 113th Knight of TITO

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 am

Araraukar wrote:OOC.

Cosmosplosion wrote:Understanding the wide usage of tobacco and other nicotine-infused products;

This is like "understanding the wide usage of water"; that is, it is meaningless and makes no sense. I suggest adding something like "recreationally" somewhere in there.

Recognizing the addictive nature of nicotine and the adverse health effects related to tobacco products;

Nicotine and the tobacco health effects have practically nothing to do with one another, though. I would suggest separating these, and putting in some of the negative health effects and/or the costs they cause to public healthcare.

Further recognizing the popularity and lesser health risks of vaping, otherwise known as e-cigarettes;

Distinguishes the difference between a tobacco product and a vaping product. A tobacco product must contain tobacco, and a vaping product must contain propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin.

These should be put in the active clauses as definitions instead. Though I suggest spelling the terms out the first time you use them ("vapour inhaling" and "electronic cigarettes" to be specific) rather than using the slang. Also, you earlier on mention nicotine dependancy as a negative thing; that doesn't go anywhere just because you use vapour inhalers. (Which I'd suggest using instead of e-cigarettes, anyway.) Also, why must a "vaping" product use propylene glycol or (and why specifically vegetable?) glycerin?

Also, you lack any reasoning on why specifically any of the above is so bad a problem that it needs international legislation.

Establishes the Tobacco and Vaping Product Safety Committee;

The Tobacco and Vaping Product Safety Committee, here on referred to as TVPSC, shall be responsible for implementing the following regulations and establishing the following services;

Bad proposal, no cookie. A committee should never be the main aim of the proposal. It should be at most an afterthought helping to connect the efforts of the individual nations. You should rewrite and give as many functions as possible, to the member nations. You can do practically everything here without needing the committee at all.

1. All products containing nicotine must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to the World Assembly to be addictive.” This warning must take up at least 33% of the packaging of the product.

Even if they're pesticides or industrial chemical containers or fresh vegetables? Nicotine is produced by edible plants like potatoes, tomatoes and eggplants as well, just not in quantities that would make it a problem to those who eat them.

2. All products that contain tobacco must state, “This product is known to the World Assembly to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, smoking is known to cause birth defects.” This warning must take up at least 33% of the packaging of the product.

So together with the nicotine warning, that's 66% of the packaging now. Also, why? You're later on mandating education on dangers of tobacco use, so wouldn't everyone be aware of the dangers already? Also, I would suggest restricting tobacco and nicotine products to be sold only to those over the age of majority.

3. The TVPSC shall establish poison control services available to each nation, with 24 hour hotlines.

Why? Also, what of nations without the kind of phone services that you'd need to be able to take advantage of that?

All hotline operators must be given the knowledge of how to prevent harmful effects if a product not intended for ingestion is ingested.

This would be more suitable for a general poisoning hotline. In fact, if a nation already has that, why should they arrange a separate one only for tobacco/nicotine?

4. Vaping products which contain propylene glycol and/or vegetable glycerin must state, “Do not ingest. If ingested please contact the TPS Poison Control Hotline at (hotline number established by the TVPSC).” This warning must take up at least 33% of the packaging of the product.

And what of "vaping" products (seriously, don't use the slang, it looks ridiculous in law text) that contain glycerin that's not vegetable-based? Or which contain any other alcohol instead of propylene glycol?

5. As minors, all citizens must be educated on the long term effects of tobacco use, with the usage of pictures and informational pamphlets.

Why the fuck would you need pamphlets if you're incorporating it into general health education? Also, why only minors?

6. The TVPSC shall run information campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit or switch to vaping products;

Again, this should be done by nations, not the committee. Though I would like to ask where you're getting the nicotine from, to make all the "vaping" products?

7. The TVPSC shall determine procedures to ensure that all tobacco and vaping products are indeed what they claim to include and that all of these products are handled in a sanitary way. The TVPSC shall inspect each tobacco and vaping product manufacturing facility to determine if these manufacturing facilities are following the procedures properly.

...this seems to be an odd leap to the side. And again something the nations should be doing as part of general product safety control. Why make special case out of tobacco/nicotine products?

Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco and vaping products to minors;

Mandate this instead.

Further encourages member nations to consider taking further steps to prevent tobacco products from entering their markets at all;

Reword this in a way that allows nations to ban tobacco and nicotine recreational use products entirely.

Urges member nations to prevent advertisements for tobacco products;

Replace "prevent" with "ban".

this is one that I couldn't really seem to find anything on

That's because it was nearly impossible to get anything through in the old category for it.

Kenmoria wrote:“My opposition to their proposal is complete and I oppose all attempts to introduce this law. 33% is an obscene amount and, given the fact that ingredients must be listed as well, you leave barely any room for branding and logos, which are essential to any business looking to make a profit. This is an unnecessary contravention on free speech and, for once, I fully agree with the ambassador from the Haven.”

IC: "Actually, it's 66% of the total surface area of the packaging, but product branding was never part of free speech."

OOC: It's done in RL, the companies manage to put branding and logos on them just fine.

OOC: I addressed almost all of your issues. You were totally right, no need to have a committee do everything.

A few things, I don't know about outright banning these products from minors. That could result in some issues when it comes to voting to get it passed. But if there is sufficient support for that, I will include it.

Other than that, I would ask you to take a second look!

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:07 am

(OOC: Just a small note, but it looks like you accidentally left a second '%' after the first labelling requirement.)

(Also aww, I was having an internal chuckle with the old draft thinking about what would happen if someone made a product including tobacco, nicotine and vape liquid, and the entire box would be just labels wrapped around it with warnings.)

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:11 am

Iciaros wrote:(OOC: Just a small note, but it looks like you accidentally left a second '%' after the first labelling requirement.)

(Also aww, I was having an internal chuckle with the old draft thinking about what would happen if someone made a product including tobacco, nicotine and vape liquid, and the entire box would be just labels wrapped around it with warnings.)

OOC: Thanks I didn't even notice that. And yeah, didn't quite think through all the individual warning sizes lol.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 am

“I have some criticisms and feedback on this proposal, which I have put in red.”
Cosmosplosion wrote:

Regulation on Tobacco and Vaping Act
Category: Regulation | Area of Effect: Consumer Protection | Proposed by: Cosmosplosion

Understanding the wide recreational usage of tobacco and other nicotine-infused products; ‘Infused’ is a strangely literary term to use here. I suggest ‘containing’ as a more formal alternative.

Noting that exorbitant health care costs users of tobacco products incur due to the adverse health effects associated with tobacco, which in many cases, result in the death of member nation's own citizens at a young age; Exorbitant healthcare costs, by the way ‘healthcare’ is one word not two, are only applied to users if there is private healthcare. Although the situation you describe is true in, for example Kenmoria, it is not true in all member states.

Further noting the popularity and lesser health risks of electronic cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco based products; A line should be added below this to clearly delineate between the preambulatory and active clauses. Just ‘Hereby,’ would function well.

Defines a "tobacco product" as a product containing tobacco plant for the intention of recreational consumption. These products include, but are not limited to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and hookah; This is a general note: your clause endings are often changing and don’t have a fixed format; you should stick to semicolons or full stops.

Further defines "electronic cigarette" as a device containing a liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, used to simulate the experience of smoking tobacco. As there is one in the above clause, there should be an ‘an’ before ‘electronic cigarette’ in this clause.

Mandates that all products containing nicotine which are intended for recreational consumption must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to the World Assembly to be addictive.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product.

Requires that products that contain tobacco must state, “This product is known to the World Assembly to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, smoking is known to cause birth defects.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. Must the smoking section be included in chewing tobacco, which is not smoked? I also oppose this and similar clauses on corporate freedom grounds.

It is demanded that electronic cigarette products which contain a liquid intended to be vaporized must state, “Do not ingest. If ingested please contact the TPS Poison Control Hotline at (hotline number for that nation). Keep out of reach of children and infants.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. You should have ‘that’ not ‘which’ in this sentence. Also, it would be more consistent to have ‘Demands’ rather than ‘It is demanded’ at the beginning of this clause.

Further, in nations that do not have sufficient poison control services, a supplementary service will be provided;

Establishes The Tobacco and Electronic Cigarette Safety Committee, known from herein as the TECSC; The first ‘the’ should not be capitalised, and ‘herein’ doesn’t make sense here.

TECSC will provide poison control services for nations that determine they need assistant in this area, a phone number to TECSC will be put in place of the hotline number for that nation; It should be ‘the TECSC’ instead of just ‘TECSC’. This is because you can only omit the article if the acronym is produced without saying the letters.

TECSC will educate a sufficient amount of phone operators as necessary on how to handle ingestion of electronic cigarette products in both children and adults;

In the general education system, all citizens must be educated on the long term effects of tobacco use, with the usage of pictures and in-school lessons; What about schools for the blind? Do they need pictures? I also object to this clause on the grounds of unfairly reducing the profits of tobacco companies.

Member Nations shall run information campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit or switch to vaping products; This is a good idea.

Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco and electronic cigarettes to minors;

Further encourages member nations to consider taking further steps to ban the use of tobacco products outright;

Urges member nations to ban advertisements for tobacco products; If you do decide to use semicolons for all of your clauses, this one alone should be a full stop, as it finished the proposal. I would object to these last three clauses if they were mandatory but, as they are not, I have no issues.

Last edited by Kenmoria on Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Cosmosplosion
Spokesperson

Postby Cosmosplosion » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:02 pm

Kenmoria wrote:“I have some criticisms and feedback on this proposal, which I have out in red.”
Cosmosplosion wrote:

Regulation on Tobacco and Vaping Act

Understanding the wide recreational usage of tobacco and other nicotine-infused products; ‘Infused’ is a strangely literary term to use here. I suggest ‘containing’ as a more formal alternative.

Noting that exorbitant health care costs users of tobacco products incur due to the adverse health effects associated with tobacco, which in many cases, result in the death of member nation's own citizens at a young age; Exorbitant healthcare costs, by the way ‘healthcare’ is one word not two, are only applied to users if there is private healthcare. Although the situation you describe is true in, for example Kenmoria, it is not true in all member states.

Further noting the popularity and lesser health risks of electronic cigarettes as an alternative to tobacco based products; A line should be added below this to clearly delineate between the preambulatory and active clauses. Just ‘Hereby,’ would function well.

Defines a "tobacco product" as a product containing tobacco plant for the intention of recreational consumption. These products include, but are not limited to cigarettes, chewing tobacco, and hookah; This is a general note: your clause endings are often changing and don’t have a fixed format; you should stick to semicolons or full stops.

Further defines "electronic cigarette" as a device containing a liquid that is vaporized and inhaled, used to simulate the experience of smoking tobacco. As there is one in the above clause, there should be an ‘an’ before ‘electronic cigarette’ in this clause.

Mandates that all products containing nicotine which are intended for recreational consumption must be labeled with an identifier that states, “This product contains nicotine, a chemical known to the World Assembly to be addictive.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product.

Requires that products that contain tobacco must state, “This product is known to the World Assembly to cause several types of cancer and other long term, serious health problems. If you are currently pregnant, smoking is known to cause birth defects.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. [color=#CC1208]Must the smoking section be included in chewing tobacco, which is not smoked? I also oppose this and similar clauses on corporate freedom grounds.

It is demanded that electronic cigarette products which contain a liquid intended to be vaporized must state, “Do not ingest. If ingested please contact the TPS Poison Control Hotline at (hotline number for that nation). Keep out of reach of children and infants.” This warning must take up at least 15% of the packaging of the product. You should have ‘that’ not ‘which’ in this sentence. Also, it would be more consistent to have ‘Demands’ rather than ‘It is demanded’ at the beginning of this clause.

Further, in nations that do not have sufficient poison control services, a supplementary service will be provided;

Establishes The Tobacco and Electronic Cigarette Safety Committee, known from herein as the TECSC; The first ‘the’ should not be capitalised, and ‘herein’ doesn’t make sense here.

TECSC will provide poison control services for nations that determine they need assistant in this area, a phone number to TECSC will be put in place of the hotline number for that nation; It should be ‘the TECSC’ instead of just ‘TECSC’. This is because you can only omit the article if the acronym is produced without saying the letters.

TECSC will educate a sufficient amount of phone operators as necessary on how to handle ingestion of electronic cigarette products in both children and adults;

In the general education system, all citizens must be educated on the long term effects of tobacco use, with the usage of pictures and in-school lessons; What about schools for the blind? Do they need pictures? I also object to this clause on the grounds of unfairly reducing the profits of tobacco companies.

Member Nations shall run information campaigns, targeted at both minor and adult smokers, encouraging them to quit or switch to vaping products; This is a good idea.

Encourages member nations to prohibit the sale of tobacco and electronic cigarettes to minors;

Further encourages member nations to consider taking further steps to ban the use of tobacco products outright;

Urges member nations to ban advertisements for tobacco products; If you do decide to use semicolons for all of your clauses, this one alone should be a full stop, as it finished the proposal. I would object to these last three clauses if they were mandatory but, as they are not, I have no issues.

"Thank you for your feedback ambassador. Much of it was taken and is now reflected in the draft. While we are going to have to agree to disagree on the corporate freedom point, these regulations do not stop anyone from purchasing these products. All this proposal really serves to do is put common sense regulations in place on member nations and educate the general public on how dangerous their habits can be."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives