NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Are there any issues about superstitions? Especially regarding the Evil Eye?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 am

Kylarnatia wrote:So I got Issue #910 today, and I found Option Three to be a bit...extreme? (compulsory higher education up until the age of twenty-four) :lol: Would it be too niche to write a follow-up, where if you selected #3 you could have people arguing over the merits / cost of compulsory higher education, or is that covered by another issue?

Could be a good issue. Just be sure to add some new story.

That is, in general, if you get an option that proposes something extreme, a follow up issue should NOT say:

You've done something extreme
1) Reverse it
2) Make it worse

Instead, the issue should be about a consequence. More like.

You've done something extreme. Here's an interesting consequence.
1) Address the consequence.
2) Address the consequence a different way.
2) Reverse the cause.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:12 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about superstitions? Especially regarding the Evil Eye?

The Evil Eye sounds like a great topic.

There's been issues about credulity in the supernatural, but not the evil eye specifically.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:33 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Are there any issues about superstitions? Especially regarding the Evil Eye?

The Evil Eye sounds like a great topic.

There's been issues about credulity in the supernatural, but not the evil eye specifically.

I see thanks. What if someone spits on @@LEADER@@ to ware it off
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008

Postby Kylarnatia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:58 am

Kylarnatia wrote:So I got Issue #910 today, and I found Option Three to be a bit...extreme? (compulsory higher education up until the age of twenty-four) :lol: Would it be too niche to write a follow-up, where if you selected #3 you could have people arguing over the merits / cost of compulsory higher education, or is that covered by another issue?

Could be a good issue. Just be sure to add some new story.

That is, in general, if you get an option that proposes something extreme, a follow up issue should NOT say:

You've done something extreme
1) Reverse it
2) Make it worse

Instead, the issue should be about a consequence. More like.

You've done something extreme. Here's an interesting consequence.
1) Address the consequence.
2) Address the consequence a different way.
2) Reverse the cause.

Excellent, thanks for the clarification. :) I'll get to brainstorming on it!
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:40 am

Another idea that came to me while thinking of the re-draft of my current draft idea: is there any issue that addresses your military's official doctrine? I know there are issues related to military spending and investment, but is there one that either talks specifically or references your military's preferred strategy in times of war?
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:47 am

I think the thing with such an issue would be to couch the question in a framing story, not just to ask in generalities how the military should act.

Issues of that sort do exist of course: the International Incident chain, for example, and #973 Guided Missiles and Misguided Men.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:12 am

Actualy, that sounds reminiscent of #147. #157, with the "quality versus quantity" angle, also gets in on the action, though it's not the main point, just a crazy option.

Southeast Aleatory
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Southeast Aleatory » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:13 pm

While we're on the military subject, I've had an issue about standard-issue weaponry languishing on my computer for years. Valid for only for nations with small armies and/or low arms manufacturing industries, the premise is that the nation's standard service rifle is (seemingly) obsolete. The options are to make a new gun and sell the surplus (if private gun ownership is allowed), make a new gun and destroy the surplus (if private gun ownership isn't allowed), train soldiers to git gud with the old guns, import more advanced guns and sell the old guns to other countries, disband the army and issue guns to everyone (only if private gun ownership is allowed), or just cut spending. Is it too specific?

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think the thing with such an issue would be to couch the question in a framing story, not just to ask in generalities how the military should act.

Issues of that sort do exist of course: the International Incident chain, for example, and #973 Guided Missiles and Misguided Men.

Trotterdam wrote:Actualy, that sounds reminiscent of #147. #157, with the "quality versus quantity" angle, also gets in on the action, though it's not the main point, just a crazy option.

Thanks both! Saved to my notes for a later date. ;)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Southeast Aleatory wrote:While we're on the military subject, I've had an issue about standard-issue weaponry languishing on my computer for years. Valid for only for nations with small armies and/or low arms manufacturing industries, the premise is that the nation's standard service rifle is (seemingly) obsolete. The options are to make a new gun and sell the surplus (if private gun ownership is allowed), make a new gun and destroy the surplus (if private gun ownership isn't allowed), train soldiers to git gud with the old guns, import more advanced guns and sell the old guns to other countries, disband the army and issue guns to everyone (only if private gun ownership is allowed), or just cut spending. Is it too specific?
I remember something like that being drafted once, though I don't think it's in the game.

I don't feel it's very likely because rifle technology hasn't really advanced much recently. Decades-old assault rifles are still pretty good.

We do have issues about obsolete airplanes and ships.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:53 am

Can someone link me all issues about milk? I’ve a few ideas, but wanna cover my bases to ensure they don’t overlap.
Field Commander of Antifa
Citizen of the New Pacific Order

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:01 am

Ballpit wrote:Can someone link me all issues about milk? I’ve a few ideas, but wanna cover my bases to ensure they don’t overlap.

A good trick is to do ctrl+f over the spoiler thread and then to type the word you're looking for overlap on, then do the same with various synonyms.

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:58 am

Ballpit wrote:Can someone link me all issues about milk? I’ve a few ideas, but wanna cover my bases to ensure they don’t overlap.

A good trick is to do ctrl+f over the spoiler thread and then to type the word you're looking for overlap on, then do the same with various synonyms.

Ah, okay. Cheers.
Field Commander of Antifa
Citizen of the New Pacific Order

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm

I can hardly wait to see the next Got Milk? reference.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 am

Jutsa wrote:I can hardly wait to see the next Got Milk? reference.

Ouch. If that was a sarcastic burn, I'm feeling it. If it wasn't, I'm feeling it anyway.

For sure, we've used "Got Milk" in two different issues, though I think I actively stopped it happening in the last milk-related issue. Will definitely try and stop the joke recurring.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:42 am

Incidentally, according to my log thirty minutes ago, we appear to have a new issue about milk.

You fight like a dairy farmer!

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:10 am

Trotterdam wrote:Incidentally, according to my log thirty minutes ago, we appear to have a new issue about milk.

You fight like a dairy farmer!

Naa, 1160 was the last milk issue.

I'm sure you'll meat the new issue soon though. Expect you may have some beef with it. Don't have a cow, man. :)

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:14 am

This was going to be a little bit more on sentiments, so here I go! :P

For these past few weeks and months, thank you for putting up with my often-not-so-stellar issue drafts and giving me the feedback I need to fix them and improve on them. The writing process was certainly fun, but it's just that I am planning to focus on something else for a change, such as writing and completing my factbooks.

To my fellow Issue Authors and Issue Editors, I really appreciate that you gave such advice to me as a rookie. Sorry I have not been active, or didn't really take rejection well at times. I promise that I will do better. :D

So far... I have no issues yet. On another note, should I still go with this one or abandon it? I don't mind abandoning it and opening up the premise if someone wants to write down more, but I was thinking on whether I can try improving on it before abandoning it?
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 am

Valentine Z wrote:This was going to be a little bit more on sentiments, so here I go! :P

For these past few weeks and months, thank you for putting up with my often-not-so-stellar issue drafts and giving me the feedback I need to fix them and improve on them. The writing process was certainly fun, but it's just that I am planning to focus on something else for a change, such as writing and completing my factbooks.

To my fellow Issue Authors and Issue Editors, I really appreciate that you gave such advice to me as a rookie. Sorry I have not been active, or didn't really take rejection well at times. I promise that I will do better. :D

So far... I have no issues yet. On another note, should I still go with this one or abandon it? I don't mind abandoning it and opening up the premise if someone wants to write down more, but I was thinking on whether I can try improving on it before abandoning it?

You have no issues published yet, but that doesn't mean you've had no success with currently submitted drafts.

I note three drafts from you submitted, and only 1 in the delete pile...

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:30 am

Valentine Z wrote:This was going to be a little bit more on sentiments, so here I go! :P

You have no issues published yet, but that doesn't mean you've had no success with currently submitted drafts.

I note three drafts from you submitted, and only 1 in the delete pile...

Yeah, I know. I'm not there as an Issue Author yet, so... that was kind of a stretch to say "fellow" there, haha! :P

And thanks! I personally hope that they will make it through, but if they don't, then there's always next time for me!

Wait, 3? I know I submitted 3, but I forgot my very first one.

The second one is Beggars Can Be Choosers, and the third one is Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.... if you don't mind me asking, may I know what is the first one?
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am

Mind The Gap.

Checking the edit notes, I note you'd had a telegram conversation with Caracasus about Hello, Darkness, so it's formally "in edit", of course. Having said that, some editors are more active than others. Maybe remind him with a TG that he was editing your issue?
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Window Land
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2016

Postby Window Land » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Are there any issues dealing with the consequences of sacrificing people?
Bored college student who is probably supposed to be doing something important.
Woodie Flowers wrote:If you’re anti-science, you’re pro-stupid.

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote:I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Winston Churchill wrote:Democracy is the worst form of government – except for all the others that have been tried.

Randall Munroe wrote: I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
Free Speech

Altmer Dominion
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altmer Dominion » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Window Land wrote:Are there any issues dealing with the consequences of sacrificing people?

So, a consequence follow-up to Issue 58 option 1 and 2? Doesn't look like there's any issue directly addressing the fallout, so go for it. Caution: in terms of story, you'll have to keep the narrative more nuanced than "Human Sacrifice Bad, Plz Ban It Again." There are some interesting ways to take this, so don't just go for the low-hanging fruit. Hope to see what you come up with.
Issues Authored
Want to Write an Issue? Start Here.
Song of the Day. (Periodically changed)

Do More with the Thalmor: All profits go to the Eradication of Talos Worship

Socialist Communist States
Envoy

Founded: Apr 03, 2017
Corporate Police State

Postby Socialist Communist States » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Are there any issues dealing with the merging of polytechnic/technical institutions into one?
Got the inspiration after reading this.
Last edited by Socialist Communist States on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?