NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP IC-Volume II (OPEN)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:17 pm

Dentali wrote:
Tallahassee News Station wrote:
"Thank you" Stevenson takes the water and sits down, then looks around, seeing the health food and drinks, gym gear, small weight set, and pictures of his daughter in the mostly spartan and clean office.

"I like how you've laid out your office. Having some weights right here with you, that's a smart idea, I should bring some in for mine. Are you interested in sports or just healthy living?"

Anderson points at the couch in the corner "I spend most nights there. Time is a luxury in this job and i'm trying to do a lot at once, so I do everything I can in my office." Anderson takes a sip of water and begins to tidy his desk "Health living... i've always been a fitness guy, I was even a trainer when I first got to DC. But no specific sports ever called to me."

Stevenson winced empathetically. "Tough job. I admire your dedication. Hopefully the Governor's Mansion has nicer couches!" She joked good naturedly.
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Dentali wrote:
Anderson points at the couch in the corner "I spend most nights there. Time is a luxury in this job and i'm trying to do a lot at once, so I do everything I can in my office." Anderson takes a sip of water and begins to tidy his desk "Health living... i've always been a fitness guy, I was even a trainer when I first got to DC. But no specific sports ever called to me."

Stevenson winced empathetically. "Tough job. I admire your dedication. Hopefully the Governor's Mansion has nicer couches!" She joked good naturedly.

Anderson gave a smile at the comment, "I hope, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse." Glen stretched his shoulders a bit and seemed to physically recenter himself in his chair, assuming a businesslike posture, "so how can I help you today?"
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Dentali wrote:

Anderson gave a smile at the comment, "I hope, but I don't want to put the cart before the horse." Glen stretched his shoulders a bit and seemed to physically recenter himself in his chair, assuming a businesslike posture, "so how can I help you today?"

"I hoped that we could talk about each others races, you for Governor and me for Senator."

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Dentali wrote:

"I hoped that we could talk about each others races, you for Governor and me for Senator."

"Alright then" Glen said leaning forward a bit to show interest "Lets talk"

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Dentali wrote:

"I'm willing to talk about your race first if you want to. You've been doing this for longer than I have and you're running for a higher office.'

Velahor
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Velahor » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm

Vaquas wrote:
Kristen laughed nervously without trying to move the hand. "Well, how could I say no to an offer like that?" She made a winning smile. "Eight would be great"

Stevenson’s Office

Walsh shot her a smile back.

"Perfect." he said, allowing his hand to drop off. "I'll see you then."

With that, Walsh walked into the entrance of Stevenson's office, making eye contact with Carter Roberts as he did so. Unexpected, he thought.

"Senator-Elect." he said politely. "Congratulations on your win.

Carter recognized the man speaking to him, but could not put a name to the face.

“Thank you sir, I look forward to getting to the real work now,” he replied, waiting for the name to come to him.
”A wasted vote is voting for someone that you don’t believe in”

Libertarian Realist/Neoclassical Liberal/Capitalistic Pragmatist, Civil Rights Advocate, Architecture Geek, Law Student
Diane Paulson - Congresswoman - Maine 2nd District
Michelle Paulson-Miller - White House Deputy Chief of Staff & Former NRA Chief Lobbyist
William S. Rogers III - Senator - Montana
Martha Prendergast - Senator & First Lady - West Virginia
Daniel Gundersen - Mayor of Waukesha, WI/Candidate for United States Senate/Founder of Dairy Dan’s

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Of Michiganites and Museums

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Washington
District of Columbia

"Definitely. We cannot get caught."

She seemed to think it over.

"Well, I probably won't get much, they'll take pity on an elderly woman."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:00 pm

Dentali wrote:

"I'm willing to talk about your race first if you want to. You've been doing this for longer than I have and you're running for a higher office.'

"I didn't have anything to say about my race honestly"

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm

REDACTED
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Dentali wrote:

"Oh." Stevenson was a little surprised. "Well, do you have anything you would like to say about my race? I have some things to say too of course but I'd love some advice from someone with your kind of experience."

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Great Expectations

Apartment Complex
Manhattan
New York State

It had taken a little bit of convincing and a promise to sit down with Krishana and gossip for her longtime best friend to offer her flat in Manhattan as a site for Marli to meet with the Massachusetts Representative. She looked forward to meeting with her, knowing she would be an exciting potential ally as well as a potential friend too. She awaited her arrival as music played, being some R&B to calm her. Her hands typed away as she reviewed campaign finances, looking at the new donors that had signed onto her campaign. It was a great thing and already she had something in mind for using the newly acquired funds. Tucking her feet under her, she continued to type as she remained on the couch, awaiting the arrival of her guest.
Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:24 pm

Dentali wrote:

"Oh." Stevenson was a little surprised. "Well, do you have anything you would like to say about my race? I have some things to say too of course but I'd love some advice from someone with your kind of experience."

"I think you should have waited a few years before you ran, you were barely seated when you announced you'd go for senate. Combine that with your earlier run for senate... it look to you constituents that the house seat was just a consolation prize and you don't actually care about representing them, only working on your senate campaign."

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Dentali wrote:

"I think you should have waited a few years before you ran, you were barely seated when you announced you'd go for senate. Combine that with your earlier run for senate... it look to you constituents that the house seat was just a consolation prize and you don't actually care about representing them, only working on your senate campaign."

Kristen was surprised and visibly hurt by the criticism but swallowed it to listen to what Anderson had to say.

"I wasn't planning on running for Senate so soon, it was just something that happened. When Breckenridge started getting more and more radical and even calling for the President to resign I knew I needed to step in. There are a lot of people in Massachusetts that feel like their voices are never heard, and who haven't had someone to really represent them. That's why I challenged Breckenridge and I'm running now and I think I've gotten a lot of support."

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:55 pm

Dentali wrote:

Kristen was surprised and visibly hurt by the criticism but swallowed it to listen to what Anderson had to say.

"I wasn't planning on running for Senate so soon, it was just something that happened. When Breckenridge started getting more and more radical and even calling for the President to resign I knew I needed to step in. There are a lot of people in Massachusetts that feel like their voices are never heard, and who haven't had someone to really represent them. That's why I challenged Breckenridge and I'm running now and I think I've gotten a lot of support."

Anderson sat stonefaced in front of Kristen as he listened to her, "I'm sorry for being blunt... as true as your reasoning might be, i'm talking about public perception. Breckenridge isn't a candidate anymore, other potential candidates for the party have more experience. You need to make the case to the public WHY you and WHY now. As far as I can tell you havent done that, at least not convincingly."

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:

Great Expectations

Apartment Complex
Manhattan
New York State

It had taken a little bit of convincing and a promise to sit down with Krishana and gossip for her longtime best friend to offer her flat in Manhattan as a site for Marli to meet with the Massachusetts Representative. She looked forward to meeting with her, knowing she would be an exciting potential ally as well as a potential friend too. She awaited her arrival as music played, being some R&B to calm her. Her hands typed away as she reviewed campaign finances, looking at the new donors that had signed onto her campaign. It was a great thing and already she had something in mind for using the newly acquired funds. Tucking her feet under her, she continued to type as she remained on the couch, awaiting the arrival of her guest.

Kristen was feeling a little nervous about the meeting, with a few reasons for it. Both were because of who she was meeting but only half were Marli's fault. Part of it was the fear in the pit of her stomach about that crushing mistake of her past coming back to haunt her. The insults and attacks and abuse she had taken after the scandal broke had been horrible to go through and she had watched on Twitter the attacks on Marli coming in that same direction even if it was not exactly the same issue and not quite as bad. If the media hounds picked up a meeting like this and ran with it like that....it would be terrible to go through again.

The second part that had her nervous was Marli's fault and that was her posting the email from Kramer publicly. Stevenson wasn't any fan of Kramer but she was not comfortable at all with someone just making private information public like that. She had apologized and not done it again but it didn't reassure her completely. Arranging the meeting had been done not even between Stevenson's campaign manager and Marli but one of the deputies of her manager just in case.

Stevenson looked around to make sure she was in the right place in the apartment and looking around for any onlookers even though she had on large sunglasses and a bandana for her hair. It was stylish, but she still felt silly. She knocked lightly on the door.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 pm

Great Expectations

Apartment Complex
Manhattan
New York State

Marli lifted herself from the grey robe, tying it. She had had a tailor fix it for her, making it more form fitting yet still keeping the traits of pajamas. Putting on house shows and setting aside her laptop, she moved towards the door. She had not gotten her nails done since her campaigning upstate, so the handle was easy to grasp. She twisted it open and smiled at the Representative.

"Hello Representative....almost didn't recognize ya."

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:

Great Expectations

Apartment Complex
Manhattan
New York State

Marli lifted herself from the grey robe, tying it. She had had a tailor fix it for her, making it more form fitting yet still keeping the traits of pajamas. Putting on house shows and setting aside her laptop, she moved towards the door. She had not gotten her nails done since her campaigning upstate, so the handle was easy to grasp. She twisted it open and smiled at the Representative.

"Hello Representative....almost didn't recognize ya."

Stevenson took off the sunglasses and bandanna as she came in. "Sorry about that. It's good to meet you." She offered her hand to shake.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Dentali wrote:

Anderson sat stonefaced in front of Kristen as he listened to her, "I'm sorry for being blunt... as true as your reasoning might be, i'm talking about public perception. Breckenridge isn't a candidate anymore, other potential candidates for the party have more experience. You need to make the case to the public WHY you and WHY now. As far as I can tell you havent done that, at least not convincingly."

Stevenson wanted to defend herself but held back. "What do you suggest I do to make that case?" she asked respectfully.

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 14, 2014
Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:39 pm

National Air and Space Museum, Washington D.C.

"I won't feel bad if it comes to leaving you behind then," Appleby replied.

He started ambling vaguely in the direction of the nearby food court.
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

WWFD (What Would Fraser Do?)
Community Choice Award for Nation Role Play: The War Cry of Uncle Sam (OP)
Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)
Recognized By the Community for Exemplary Talent in Nation Role Play: Prolieum

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Dentali wrote:

Stevenson wanted to defend herself but held back. "What do you suggest I do to make that case?" she asked respectfully.

"I don't know the state well enough, what is Massachusetts looking for? Find something no one else can provide? Let me ask you this... why did you take the DNA test?"

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Amaras Residence, Keokuk, Iowa

"I believe we do, Senator," Amaras replied. He let the comment end there, curious to see what she would look to add onto it.
Male.
Political Views: Classically Liberal Paleoconservative Neoliberal Libertarian Conservative
"We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en Francais, appuyer le numero deux."

Recognized By the Community Miscellaneous Role Play: Washington Political RP (OP)

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Great Expectations

Apartment Complex
Manhattan
New York State

"Da pleasure is all mine."

She took the handshake and moved to greet her with cheek kisses.

"Very happy to finally meet ya."

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:00 pm

Of Michiganites and Museums

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
Washington
District of Columbia

"I certainly hope it doesn't come to that."

She followed.

"Hungry? Want something light?"

Prolieum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Right-wing Utopia

Postby Prolieum » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:23 pm

National Air and Space Museum, Washington D.C.

Appleby looked about the open area, scanning the walls. "Entry points. Might be less watched here than in the museum."
Male.

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Jason Samara Campaign Stop #19
Worcester, Worcester County

The ratio of Democrats to Republicans in Worcester was 29.97% without a doubt a Republican stronghold. He had spent weeks making inroads with Breckenridge supporters, and supports of Thomas Stevenson, old diehards for them who represented the small but solid republican party in Massachusetts, and people who did not like Kristen Stevenson.

He got maybe a dozen of them on the line, asked them to invite another dozen republican friends to hear what he had to say. He had volunteers hit republican clubs and communities advertising the rally, he wanted to start poking holes in the Republican’s base of support now. If he could convince them he wasn’t a threat, maybe get a few who dislike Stevenson to denounce her, he could drive down turnout. At the same time Worcester was a large city, and plenty of democrats or independents could still be courted. He gave him standard speech but modified it to drop the labels of democrats and republicans.

“Good Morning!” Samara said addressing the small crowd, “Thank you all for being here today”

“So I was at the DUC, that took place after the 2016 election. Governor Claudia Patton gave a speech, ‘If the core foundations of the Democratic party, Freedom from Tyranny, Freedom of Choice, and above all, Freedom of Thought, do not prevail in this time of great uncertainty, then we are lost, and we will crumble.’ I have taken that to heart, the economy, education and healthcare are at the core of my platform, I want real practical solutions, efficiently run and proven to work… not just throwing money at the problem or making rhetorical stands. I want to have a conversation, a debate about the issues and then incorporate ideas from all sides in the solution.”

“We need to provide workers with the tools needed for the 21st century economy, as Senator I will fight to double the amount of federal spending on apprenticeship programs, support tax credits for employers who train and hire workers at a good wage, and I will fight to encourage businesses to partner with high schools and community colleges so that after graduation it will be easier for these kids to find jobs.”

“I believe we need to invest in infrastructure because it will be a shot of adrenaline to the state’s and the nation’s economy. Because we will see a return on our investment, we will create jobs and we will boost the economy. But more than anything I believe in Bi-Partisanship, Tri-Partisanship, I believe that Americans are at our best when we work together.”

“I’m Congressman Jason Samara, I am a man raised in Boston, Massachusetts. I grew up walking the Freedom trail, I grew up watching the South End of Boston go from dangerous and remote in the 80s flourish, I grew up jogging along the Charles river and rooting for the Red Sox. But I was born to two loving parents in Puerto Rico, my father was an immigrant and a psychiatrist, my mother was a social worker who devoted her life to helping people get back on their feet. When I was 2 my father passed away in an car accident and my mother took me to Boston to live with her mother. Times were hard, money was short, we relied on family, community and at times the government to get by. I am a product of public school, I grew up hearing stories of my family that fought for civil rights, of my uncles that marched next to Doctor King, who stood on the bridge at Selma, who marched on Washington and I took that to heart.”

“I dedicated my life and schooling to community outreach and service, I married my high school sweetheart and we have beautiful daughters. I was elected to Congress in 2010 becoming the first African American to represent the state, I have fought for welfare reform, consumer protections, providing affordable college and healthcare, LBGTQ rights, a woman’s right to choose and housing reform. I proudly stand by the work I have done for this state. As a Congressman I proudly voted against the RLSA, WAC and BBA. My parents and my grandmother are no longer with us today, but I know they look down on our work with pride.”

“My last name is Samara, a name that comes from half a world away. In America though your name should be no barrier to success, no matter your name or circumstances of birth, the color of your skin, no matter who you love or how you choose to worship... America should be a place where none of that matters. I stand here now proud of my heritage, knowing that I am just a part of the greater American story. I have a vision for America where there are no barriers to success - no matter what color you are, no matter where you're from, no matter how much money you have.”

“Thats where I come from, now let me tell you what I stand for. I stand for no PACs just people, I have pledged to no longer accept donations from corporate PACs, this is just the first step in Comprehensive Campaign Finance Reform that is necessary for our growing Democracy. I stand for the scientific consensus that Climate Change is real, and that we must take steps to build a clean energy economy to make fuel and energy cheaper, better for the environment and free of our dependency on foreign countries.”

“I stand for those who serve are nation in uniform, and making sure that when they return to civilian life we are there to support them in the challenges they face. I stand for Expanding medical care and support services for our service members is a moral duty.”

“I stand for Universal Healthcare, Health Care is a Human Right, a moral responsibility. I will fight to make sure that insurance companies no longer turn people away for pre-existing conditions or discriminate against women. I will work hand in hand with our governor to craft and support a healthcare plan that covers all of Massachusetts so it can continue to be the national leader in coverage and innovation.”

“I stand for Equal Pay for Equal Work. An economy that works for everyone, a $15 minimum wage, affordable childcare, parental leave. No one who works full time should live in poverty and its time big business and the 1% paid its fair share.”

“I stand for LGBTQ equality, I go to Boston’s Pride Parade every year, I marched in DC and spoke on LGBTQ rights and progress. I will stand against any attempt to take away our progress, LGTBQ rights are human rights and we need an equality act to ban discrimination against LGBTQ individuals in employment, housing and other areas.”

“I stand for A God Given Right to Safety, the Minutemen Act showed that Congress cares more about handouts to Gun Manufacturers than safety for our people, and across the country children are paying the price. Gun Violence plagues our communities every day and as your Senator I will fight back against the epidemic, thoughts and prayers are not enough we need action to take dangerous weapons off our streets and out of the hands of dangerous individuals.”

“For most folks, one income isn't enough to raise a family and send your kids to college. Sometimes, two incomes aren't enough. It's harder to save. It's harder to retire. You're doing your part, you're meeting your responsibilities, but it always seems like you're treading water or falling behind.”

“I’m tired of waiting, waiting a decade for a pay raise while CEO pay is soaring, i’m tired of waiting for Senators to act while more Americans fall into poverty, i’m tired of waiting for them to realize that their are kids with the knowledge and the drive to go to college and change the world but can’t because its not affordable. I’m tired of waiting and that’s why I am seeking to become Senator of the great state of Massachusetts.”

“I am pro-immigrant, but I recognize not everyone trying to come into this nation has the best intentions, not everyone should be allowed into our nation. But a zero tolerance policy does not reflect our morality, turning away families looking for a better life, those fleeing poverty, violence and starvation… turning them away is not American.”

“America has always and should always be a haven for the oppressed, the vulnerable and the downtrodden. We cannot shirk that responsibility now. Our immigration policy must stop the criminalization of entire communities, the tearing apart of families, and the exploitation of new Americans. My immigration policy is grounded in putting the sanctity of families first, and will enforce civil, human and labor rights, continuing our tradition of embracing diversity letting it push our nation to new heights.”

“Those who enter the country illegally who do not have a criminal record should be given temporary amnesty and a simple path to citizenship. If an immigrant pays taxes they should receive the same benefits as citizens. We must dismantle our inhumane deportation programs and detention centers that tear families apart, replacing them with a system targeted on criminal activity besides crossing the border and make sure DHS agencies have oversight. We need a swift and fair legislative roadmap to citizenship for all undocumented immigrants. We must respect local communities, ensuring their positive interactions with law enforcement instead of forcing them to live in hiding out of fear. We must modernize the visa system, especially regarding family visas which has a massive backlog. We must reverse the criminalization of immigrants, no person is illegal and in most cases the act of an illegal border crossing is one of desperation not malice, we must recognize that.”

“We, the people of Massachusetts, the birthplace of the American Revolution, Birthplace to presidents and patriots, heroes of war and peace, a place of science and philosophy, a state that has ALWAYS pushed America forward. And we know the way forward don’t we? We know how to make our economy stronger and fairer, how to make our communities safer and education more affordable, how to make our retirement security and our healthcare the gold standard.”

“We know that we should not abandon our public education to benefit private and religious schools, but we must strengthen our public education. We know that inclusion and diversity make us stronger, that we must encourage new Americans to come here to build better lives. We know that we must protect members of the LGBTQ+ community, we know that ALL are created equal and must be protected as such under the law!”

“We start right here, right now by talking about the economy. An economy that works for too few at the expense of the many. A rigged game where wall street wins and main street loses, when bankers rig interest rates so you pay more for a house or a car thats a rigged game. When companies use tricks and loopholes to avoid taxes and don’t pay their fair share? Thats a rigged game, and when the top 1% has more than the bottom 99% IT’S A RIGGED GAME!”

“Close the Loopholes, lets tell American companies that if they want to benefit from our laws and our protection they need to bring those profits home. We need a fairer economy because the market the republicans claim is ‘free’ is just a game with loaded dice. We have seen wall street billionaires declare bankruptcy a half dozen times and get bailed out, but someone who can’t afford to pay a speeding ticket goes to jail. IT’S A RIGGED GAME. “

“Since 1978 CEOs have gotten paid over 900% more, workers are 65% more productive and they get 9% more. When America’s workers play a rigged game we all lose, when unions get busted and workers can’t organize? We lose... and when you don’t give people a livable wage we all lose. Basic decency and sound economics both bring you to the same conclusion: IT’S A RIGGED GAME thats why it’s time to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour.”

“But if we are really going to create permanent lasting change we MUST support education. Now i’m not supporting teaching our kids how to better answer a multiple choice question on a test. I want to build real strong communities around schools, have teachers who are well-trained motivated and LOVE what they do. I want schools and teachers that really prepare our children not just for college but for life. We need to treat teachers with the respect they deserve and like the professionals they are!”

“The average student graduates with over $35,000 in debt, I want to make sure that every student gets the opportunity to go to college and that they can go to community college for free and when a student borrows money to go to college they get low rates.”

“The ACA was not perfect, it could have been improved BUT I would take the ACA over having tens of millions without healthcare, without a net, where the only time they see a doctor is in the emergency room. We must continue to improve healthcare, making sure coverage is truly universal and held to the highest standards. I will work hand in hand with our governor to get the best possible healthcare after the RLSA until we can finally repeal it.”

“Everybody deserves affordable healthcare, nobody should have to choose between filling a grocery cart or a prescription jar. The Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and other programs that allow people to retire with dignity, that gives survivor benefits to their partners and families…. These are programs I will fight tooth and nail to defend, to make sure Social Security is there for you. It’s the least we can do.”

“One of the best tools we can use to reduce healthcare costs is a way to empower patients to make informed decisions about their healthcare. We need a tool that is comprehensive, that provides location specific price and quality information, not just a national average of the cost of services.”

“Hospitals should and must be MANDATED to publicly post their price lists in a machine readable format on their websites. In addition hospitals should be required to report directly to state and federal agencies so they can provide a comprehensive data set for consumers.”

“We must address that our current medical education system is not producing enough primary care physicians, and as we work towards healthcare reforms like patient centered medical homes and Accountable Care Organizations. One reason for that is that the Medicare physician payment policy greatly favors specialists and Primary Care Physicians have a massive gap in income. We must support loan forgiveness policies for medical students who pursue careers in primary care, and generally incentivizing med students who focus on primary care.”
“One of the best tools we can use to reduce healthcare costs is a way to empower patients to make informed decisions about their healthcare. We need a tool that is comprehensive, that provides location specific price and quality information, not just a national average of the cost of services.”

“As we make peoples healthcare secure let us also secure our communities…. Mass Shootings capture headlines, but daily tragedies we see in towns and cities across the nation are just as tragic. Thirty Thousand Americans are killed by gun violence every year, the madness must end. I have given my thoughts and prayers to victims too many times but as great man once said ‘when you pray move your feet’. We need to move, we need to realize that we have options and ways to bring down gun violence without dismantling the second amendment which I respect. Ways to ensure criminals, terrorists and other dangerous individuals don’t get firearms. This is not about hunters, this is not about responsible gun owners looking to protect their family… This is about realizing that there is no good reason to own an assault rifle. If you buy a gun, no matter where or when, you should get a background check. The gun lobby owns many in Congress but they do not own the conscience of the American people.”

“As your Senator I will fight to ensure that no one who works full time will live in poverty, I will fight to raise the minimum wage, get better work scheduling, get paid family and medical leave, I will work towards giving every kid in America an opportunity to go to college without being buried under a mountain of debt, and for the debt that is owed now I will fight to make that burden easier.”

“As your Senator I will fight for retirement with dignity, an expansion of Social Security, Strengthening of Medicare and Retirement accounts, and to reform the ACA.”

“As your Senator I will fight against attempts to strip control of a woman’s body away from her. Defending a woman’s right to choose, supporting education and easier access to contraception is vital to promoting sexual health.”

“We need stronger laws to govern Wall Street, we need to keep the 1% accountable and when banks get too big they need to be broken up, the people of this country and this state deserve someone who will hold their feet to the fire and make sure they are accountable. We deserve someone who will support trade deals that don’t just favor the big corporations, trade deals that don’t leave you in the dirt and left behind as the gap between rich and poor widens and the middle class disappears.”

“In too many places the poor are getting poorer, families who need help will find essential services cut, they will find healthcare cut and they need to ‘pull themselves up by their bootstraps’ while the boot of the 1% is on their back. Americans trapped in poverty, no hope of a job or education, many turning to drugs and gangs. We as a nation cannot abandon them, and as your Senator I swear I will fight for them.”

“Call it ‘trickle down’, call it ‘supply side economics’ but its the same story, the shining city is for the privileged few not America as a whole. But democrats have always fought for a different vision, a vision of a nation where we pursue new frontiers in education, healthcare, and prosperity, a nation where we all move forward to that new frontier together, where no-one is left behind.”

"To this end I want to reform and improve the Earned Income Tax Credit, and the Child Tax Credit. My goal is to make work pay, the EITC and Child Tax Credit is great for increasing employment and labor force participation, but they can be improved. I want to make the Child Tax Credit fully refundable for families with children under 17, increase the phase in rate to 50 for families with children under the age of 6. This could lift over a million people out of poverty."

“President Roosevelt said that our right to liberty as Americans included the ‘the right of every family to a decent home.’ If we are going to fulfill that right for all American’s we must pursue housing that is safe, secure and affordable. Without a good home no one can thrive, participate fully in our economy, our society. Housing is a basic human need and we have a moral responsibility as a society to ensure it is met.”

“We need to protect families from being displaced, preserve rental housing using incentives that keep rents low paired with renovation and credits for energy efficiency. We need to facilitate permitting for adding rental units to larger existing homes, especially for elderly homeowners. We must expand community ownership models like co-housing and housing trust while encouraging the construction, financing and preservation of owner occupied multifamily houses, creating ways of financing for working individuals and families. We need 21st century regulatory reform that understands home-sharing, protecting the income generating function of homeowners and protecting rental opportunities. Home rule petitions must be expedited allowing communities to experiment and lower costs.”

“To my republican friends out there I want them to come to the table with us on this. Affordable housing is not charity, its not government welfare, this is one of the bottom rungs on the ladder to security and prosperity for our families and our communities. Good housing improves child and maternal health, leads to better school performance, better jobs, the ability to accumulate savings and contribute to the nation.”

“Our nation, our republic will not work if we do not get out there and fight for what we believe in. Politicians from the President to the local dog catcher need to hear from you, they hear plenty from the 1% and Wall Street, from Super-Pacs and giant corporations and those who can fill their pockets and campaign chests. If we don’t speak now, make our voices heard, our politicians will ONLY work for the wealthy few.”

“So while I am asking for your vote, but more importantly asking for your engagement. I hope that when election day comes you put a check mark next to my name on a ballot, but should you decide that you disagree I hope that you still get involved. Raise the level of debate and discourse, demand the highest standards not just from your elected officials but from those who elect them. Do not take your vote for granted, your country needs you, your nation needs you, and those who do not have the chance to vote need you.”

“Our state has a strong Irish tradition, and the Irish tell the story of a man reaching the gates of heaven asking to be let in, St. Peter says ‘of course just show us your scars’ to which the man replies ‘Scars? I have no scars’ St. Peter says ‘what a pity, was there nothing worth fighting for?”

“In the days to come we will accomplish much, we will push our state and our nation continually forward, but no progress worth making has ever been made with self sacrifice, personal suffering and sometimes even death. Find your truth, fight for it, pray and move your feet, show others the path forward by blazing the trail.”

“We are STRONGER TOGETHER, that means everyone who works hard has an equal shot at America’s promise, at joining the middle class and having a better life. We are STRONGER TOGETHER yet so many of our corporate and political leaders seem content to pursue their own self interest, leaving so many hard working Americans struggling and without a fair shot. So lets not give up now, abandon our dreams to dark apathy we are STRONGER TOGETHER and we can achieve the American Dream.”

“Together we can accomplish great things, I pray you join me, I pray you stand and march forward with me, and one day we will have built a country worthy of the principles we were founded on. Thank you, God bless America and God bless the Great State of Massachusetts.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse