NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:12 am

Mzeusia wrote:There are no serious effort to revive other constellations, but why not make a national one for the sake of an issue?
I also think that culturally, constellations could be seen by some as important, and any person who believed this would care little about the uselessness of constellations for astronomy, and more about preserving their own culture.

Maybe the issue wouldn't have links to real life, but I don't think that that makes it any less valid an issue idea.

You can try drafting something and see if you can make it work, but you're gonna want at least some vague relation to real life to make the issue relatable.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:12 am

I'm pretty sure something like this already exists, but what about an issue where the nation has unlocked the religion, but its religious stat is quite low.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

[Idea] issue to solve option I for no. 560

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Snipped
Last edited by Ballpit on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Field Commander of Antifa
Citizen of the New Pacific Order

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:On a lighter note, seven months later, and this entire threaf still makes me laughs:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445616&start=50

Good times. That thread is the GI equivalent of that episode of Rick and Morty with the Meeseeks.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Searching for an issue that may or may not exist

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:06 pm

Does anyone know if an issue that rules on the legality of plastic surgery already exists? I had an idea for an issue but I don’t know how to do an in-depth search to find out if one such issue exists already.

Thanks!
-Ballpit

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Ballpit wrote:Does anyone know if an issue that rules on the legality of plastic surgery already exists? I had an idea for an issue but I don’t know how to do an in-depth search to find out if one such issue exists already.
I don't think so, as such.

There's a policy for banning "body modification", which is interpreted in broad strokes as including everything from tattoos to piercings to circumcision to (presumably) plastic surgery, but none of the issues currently involving it are about plastic surgery specifically.

There are also a few issues about sex reassignment surgery and the rights of transsexuals, but that's a rather specific subcase of plastic surgery. Also apparently it's not considered as falling under the body modification policy.

There's one issue about using artificial means to make models fit impossibly-high beauty standards that nobody meets naturally, but it just involves photo-editing, not actual modification of the models' bodies.

What kind of angle are you thinking of? Vain people using plastic surgery to make themselves look better? Fugitives or just unpopular people getting plastic surgery to make themselves harder to recognze? People disfigured in serious accidents getting plastic surgery just to fix them to what they looked like before?

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Ballpit wrote:Does anyone know if an issue that rules on the legality of plastic surgery already exists? I had an idea for an issue but I don’t know how to do an in-depth search to find out if one such issue exists already.
I don't think so, as such.

There's a policy for banning "body modification", which is interpreted in broad strokes as including everything from tattoos to piercings to circumcision to (presumably) plastic surgery, but none of the issues currently involving it are about plastic surgery specifically.

There are also a few issues about sex reassignment surgery and the rights of transsexuals, but that's a rather specific subcase of plastic surgery. Also apparently it's not considered as falling under the body modification policy.

There's one issue about using artificial means to make models fit impossibly-high beauty standards that nobody meets naturally, but it just involves photo-editing, not actual modification of the models' bodies.

What kind of angle are you thinking of? Vain people using plastic surgery to make themselves look better? Fugitives or just unpopular people getting plastic surgery to make themselves harder to recognze? People disfigured in serious accidents getting plastic surgery just to fix them to what they looked like before?

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve finished my draft, so feel free to check it out! ^_^

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=459321&p=35277324&sid=a50b82240a0f9f7068fc981039ebd08e#p35277324

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 am

I think sex reassignment surgery probably ought to fall under a body modification ban, it's just never been considered.

Trot, can you do me a favour of flagging the issues that might need reviewing on that basis, and I'll take a look at them?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 am

Hello all.
Has an issue been done about an elite hostile spy being captured and you have to decide how to handle it?
Options could be execute, interrogate, swap spies.
Thanks.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:38 am

Mzeusia wrote:Hello all.
Has an issue been done about an elite hostile spy being captured and you have to decide how to handle it?
Thanks.

I don't think it's been done.

The idea of international prisoner exchanges in general could probably merit an issue as well.

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:36 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I don't think it's been done.

The idea of international prisoner exchanges in general could probably merit an issue as well.

Thanks. Someone else can write an issue with the idea now that I think of it.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:51 am

Mzeusia wrote:Hello all.
Thanks.

#233 I Spy a Diplomatic Crisis covers that topic, so you'd have to avoid a lot of overlap with it.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:39 am

Hey quick question since I'm about to submit my first issue that changes policies, does that have to be made explicit in the submission? If so, where does that slide in?
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Ballpit
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ballpit » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think sex reassignment surgery probably ought to fall under a body modification ban, it's just never been considered.

Trot, can you do me a favour of flagging the issues that might need reviewing on that basis, and I'll take a look at them?

I wasn’t really going for sexual reassignment, just body altering surgeries in general.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 am

Valrifell wrote:Hey quick question since I'm about to submit my first issue that changes policies, does that have to be made explicit in the submission? If so, where does that slide in?

You don't need to add it to the submission. Final judgment of stats falls to editors (that's part of the reason why there's no space to suggest them in submissions anymore).

However, if an option needs a policy change, that will come across to us in the text (additionally many of us follow draft threads, even if we don't comment). So we'll know to add any policies that the issue needs.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:54 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Valrifell wrote:Hey quick question since I'm about to submit my first issue that changes policies, does that have to be made explicit in the submission? If so, where does that slide in?

You don't need to add it to the submission. Final judgment of stats falls to editors (that's why there's no space to suggest them anymore).

However, if an option needs a policy change, that will come across to us (and many of us follow draft threads, even if we don't comment). So we'll know to add any policies that the issue needs.

Swell, thank you.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:14 pm

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:I think sex reassignment surgery probably ought to fall under a body modification ban, it's just never been considered.

I think it's just #66 Transgender Recognition Demanded and #1162 She's Always a Woman to Me.

#767 Xe Said, Zhe Said also discusses transgenderism, but doesn't appear to mention any actual surgery. (Of course, a nation recognizing transgender individuals by their preferred gender but not permitting actual reassignment surgery would be a pretty weird combination on its own, though technically possible.)

Mzeusia wrote:Has an issue been done about an elite hostile spy being captured and you have to decide how to handle it?
#233 I Spy a Diplomatic Crisis for a foreign spy in your nation, #960 Nobody Does It Better? for your spy in a foreign nation.

Also I discovered that @@NAME@@ apparently has multiple "worst spies", Crazy Boris and Jason Bouring.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Ballpit wrote:

I wasn’t really going for sexual reassignment, just body altering surgeries in general.

Surely they'd go in different catagories...
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Valrifell
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Was there ever a followup to making judges computerized?

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:10 am

Trotterdam wrote:

I think it's just #66 Transgender Recognition Demanded and #1162 She's Always a Woman to Me.

#767 Xe Said, Zhe Said also discusses transgenderism, but doesn't appear to mention any actual surgery. (Of course, a nation recognizing transgender individuals by their preferred gender but not permitting actual reassignment surgery would be a pretty weird combination on its own, though technically possible.)

Mzeusia wrote:Has an issue been done about an elite hostile spy being captured and you have to decide how to handle it?
#233 I Spy a Diplomatic Crisis for a foreign spy in your nation, #960 Nobody Does It Better? for your spy in a foreign nation.

Also I discovered that @@NAME@@ apparently has multiple "worst spies", Crazy Boris and Jason Bouring.

Ok, looking at those, and looking at the issues that activate the policy, it does seem narratively consistent to me to say that the policy should prevent transgender surgery, so added the exclusions so that you can't get those issues if you've banned any body modification.

May even be needed to review all the issues that mention other sorts of modification to the body - surgery in general, haircuts, and so on.
However, in view of the fact that it's a fringe policy covering so many things, I think we may just have to handwave all those other circumstances. Really not worth keeping players off all issues involving surgeons, dentists, hairdressers, and so on...

However, if you see any issues about plastic surgery or cosmetic surgery, then do flag them to me, as they likely ought to have an exclusion.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:49 am

It appears that Ransium is a regular Game Moderator now, and not an Issues Editor with Game Moderator capabilities. May I ask what date exactly did the reshuffle take effect?

-- Minoa
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008

Postby Sanctaria » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:01 am

Minoa wrote:It appears that Ransium is a regular Game Moderator now, and not an Issues Editor with Game Moderator capabilities. May I ask what date exactly did the reshuffle take effect?

-- Minoa

Couple of days ago, but I'd suggest either asking in Moderation, or TGing Ransium himself. This isn't the most appropriate place to ask.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Minoa
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Minoa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 am

Sanctaria wrote:
Minoa wrote:It appears that Ransium is a regular Game Moderator now, and not an Issues Editor with Game Moderator capabilities. May I ask what date exactly did the reshuffle take effect?

-- Minoa

Couple of days ago, but I'd suggest either asking in Moderation, or TGing Ransium himself. This isn't the most appropriate place to ask.

I'm sorry I screwed up there, but I thought Moderation was for reports and rules discussion only, not the history of the site itself. :blush:
Last edited by Minoa on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mme A. d'Oiseau, B.A. (State of Minoa)

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Minoa wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Couple of days ago, but I'd suggest either asking in Moderation, or TGing Ransium himself. This isn't the most appropriate place to ask.

I'm sorry I screwed up there, but I thought Moderation was for reports and rules discussion only, not the history of the site itself. :blush:

Not a big deal, just don't want to derail the thread. Ransium just has less time for NS than he used to and his role on the issues team is one place he decided to cut back his commitments.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008

Postby Kylarnatia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:06 pm

So I got Issue #910 today, and I found Option Three to be a bit...extreme? (compulsory higher education up until the age of twenty-four) :lol: Would it be too niche to write a follow-up, where if you selected #3 you could have people arguing over the merits / cost of compulsory higher education, or is that covered by another issue?
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?