NATION

PASSWORD

The Cliche Thread

A coffee shop for those who like to discuss art, music, books, movies, TV, each other's own works, and existential angst.

Cliches: Yay or Nay?

Yes, they are good and certainly beneficial to filmmaking.
8%
Yes, but they have downsides.
35%
No, but they have upsides.
46%
No, they are bad and not beneficial to filmaking.
12%

Total votes : 26

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

The Cliche Thread

Postby New Excalibus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:16 am

Welcome to The Cliche Thread, the land for discussing outrageous and overused cliches.
Now, what exactly is a cliche? A cliche is a commonly used trope in theatre, art, film, writing, pretty much anything. An example of a cliche is British people being super posh and classy in film, which is usually far from the truth.
Here you can talk about any kind of cliche that annoys you, or discuss a cliche with others.
Anywho, enough with the jibber-jabber. Let's get this cliche show on the road!
Last edited by New Excalibus on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
✦ excal ✦
complicated signatures are for the weak.

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:19 am

One of the cliches that personally grinds my gears is desert islands. A character washes up on a tiny desert island with a palm tree. It's just such an overused concept, and the island is so unrealistic as well.
✦ excal ✦

Area 6-Z
Attaché

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Area 6-Z » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:26 am

The cliche I hate the most is when every action movie including spy movies. Always have a Russian bad guy trying to destroy America or is trying to launch the nukes why can't we get other people for a change?

Another one is when the Earth is being invaded by aliens where does it happen at? In America and where are the aliens stopped at? America.

Why can't we go to different nations?
Last edited by Area 6-Z on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puppet account of Aeritai.
She/Her
Area 6-Z Theme
If my replies are too low effort please do correct me! I'm trying to get back into F7.
My flag is not canon to the Area 6-Z Lore, so PLEASE don't ask about my flag.

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:50 am

Area 6-Z wrote:The cliche I hate the most is when every action movie including spy movies. Always have a Russian bad guy trying to destroy America or is trying to launch the nukes why can't we get other people for a change?

Another one is when the Earth is being invaded by aliens where does it happen at? In America and where are the aliens stopped at? America.

Agreed. I'd certainly like to see an American as a villain for once. We certainly aren't the most good-hearted people on earth. And I'd also like to see an alien invasion movie set in Africa. It would certainly be interesting.
✦ excal ✦

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:54 am

I dislike the cliche of the "One person can save the world and they have to do it alone and it has been their destiny since time immemorial"

Edit: That one person is more often than not someone in their early teens.
Last edited by Mzeusia on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Dresderstan » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:24 am

Rule of three is a cliche, even though I personally like it.

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:53 pm

Mzeusia wrote:I dislike the cliche of the "One person can save the world and they have to do it alone and it has been their destiny since time immemorial"

Edit: That one person is more often than not someone in their early teens.

Looking at you, J.K. Rowling.
Dresderstan wrote:Rule of three is a cliche, even though I personally like it.

I hadn't thought of that. If you think about it, that really is an overused cliche.
Three bears, three pigs, etc.
Clever!
✦ excal ✦

Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 16, 2018
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:13 am

New Excalibus wrote:I hadn't thought of that. If you think about it, that really is an overused cliche.
Three bears, three pigs, etc.
Clever!

Yup, number three seems to be fairly popular between writers.
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
⚒ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ʀᴇᴘᴜʙʟɪᴄ ᴏꜰ ꜱɪʟᴠᴇʀ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴏɴᴡᴇᴀʟᴛʜ ⚒
|☐ʜᴏᴍᴇ☐|❖ꜱᴄ ɪɴ ʜᴏɪ4❖|★ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ʀᴀᴅɪᴏ&ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ★|❇ᴄᴏɴꜱᴛɪᴛᴜᴛɪᴏɴ❇|✧ᴍɪʟɪᴛᴀʀʏ✧|✝ᴍᴀᴘꜱ&ɪɴꜰᴏ✝|☢ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ☢|
⚖ ᴀꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴅᴇʀᴀᴛᴇꜱ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇᴍ ꜰᴇʟʟ,
ʀᴀᴅɪᴄᴀʟɪᴢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ᴅᴇᴍᴏᴄʀᴀᴄʏ ꜱᴜᴘᴘᴏʀᴛᴇʀꜱ ʙᴇᴄᴀᴍᴇ ᴀ ᴍᴀᴛᴛᴇʀ ᴏꜰ ꜱᴜʀᴠɪᴠᴀʟ ☠
_[][][][][][][L'''][Σ][][~][][][]_
̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

This nation doesn't represent my views

IRL views: not much different from 4 years ago (socdem)

Tom being a control freak + pathological distrust of private enterprises = this nation

''I thought that I was a conservative. Turns out, I was just sentimental at times''

Stiltball
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Stiltball » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:30 am

politicians enjoy spouting trite meaningless slogans.

there's the attrocious - the people's vote - when in fqact it is an attempt to undermine the verdict of the referendum - spouted by people who were complaining about the brexiters wanted another referendum if they lost - bloody hypocrites.

Theresa May's 'brexit means brexit'

New Trumania
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 20, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby New Trumania » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:21 pm

I find the arbitrary "you're late" introduction of a movie character to be pointless and a crutch for screenwriters.

Cloney
Attaché

Founded: Oct 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cloney » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:23 pm

I really hate when people say all Asians are Chinese and farm rice. It drives me insane.
A militaristic, high-tech nation with an emphasis on cloning technology. I do not use NS stats.

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 pm

New Trumania wrote:I find the arbitrary "you're late" introduction of a movie character to be pointless and a crutch for screenwriters.

Agreed. It's just a lazy excuse to introduce a character.
Cloney wrote:I really hate when people say all Asians are Chinese and farm rice. It drives me insane.

That's less of a cliche and more a stereotype.
✦ excal ✦

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:56 am

New Excalibus wrote:
Area 6-Z wrote:The cliche I hate the most is when every action movie including spy movies. Always have a Russian bad guy trying to destroy America or is trying to launch the nukes why can't we get other people for a change?

Agreed. I'd certainly like to see an American as a villain for once. We certainly aren't the most good-hearted people on earth. And I'd also like to see an alien invasion movie set in Africa. It would certainly be interesting.

I mean, District 9 is set in South Africa...

Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:01 am

New Excalibus wrote:

Well, in Fallout series, Enclave (Remnants of the Pre-War government) are one of the main villains. However, Fallout series themselves are set only in America, so...
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ
|☐ʜᴏᴍᴇ☐|❖ꜱᴄ ɪɴ ʜᴏɪ4❖|★ꜱᴄ'ꜱ ʀᴀᴅɪᴏ&ʟᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ★|❇ᴄᴏɴꜱᴛɪᴛᴜᴛɪᴏɴ❇|✧ᴍɪʟɪᴛᴀʀʏ✧|✝ᴍᴀᴘꜱ&ɪɴꜰᴏ✝|☢ʜɪꜱᴛᴏʀʏ☢|
̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_(▀_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)_▀)/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿

Tom being a control freak + pathological distrust of private enterprises = this nation

''I thought that I was a conservative. Turns out, I was just sentimental at times''

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:42 am

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
New Excalibus wrote:Agreed. I'd certainly like to see an American as a villain for once. We certainly aren't the most good-hearted people on earth. And I'd also like to see an alien invasion movie set in Africa. It would certainly be interesting.

I mean, District 9 is set in South Africa...

Ooh! Good thinking.
Silver Commonwealth wrote:
New Excalibus wrote:Agreed. I'd certainly like to see an American as a villain for once. We certainly aren't the most good-hearted people on earth. And I'd also like to see an alien invasion movie set in Africa. It would certainly be interesting.

Well, in Fallout series, Enclave (Remnants of the Pre-War government) are one of the main villains. However, Fallout series themselves are set only in America, so...

Only America would dare attack America.
*eagle screeching in background*
✦ excal ✦

Myfanwyski
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Myfanwyski » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Cloney wrote:I really hate when people say all Asians are Chinese and farm rice. It drives me insane.

this puts me in mind of:-

all blacks look the same etc.

Awesome Dudes and Dudettes
Attaché

Founded: Jun 15, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Awesome Dudes and Dudettes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 pm

New Trumania wrote:I find the arbitrary "you're late" introduction of a movie character to be pointless and a crutch for screenwriters.

I get where your coming from but what else is a character suppose to say?
General Jakerson, President and Founder of The Federation of Awesome Dudes and Dudettes
ANARCHY!!!
life is cool
vox guitars are underapperciated, you should listen to more post-punk, watch more films, make more art, and read more books
“It is fun to be alive. It's a hell of a lot better than being dead.” ― Joe Strummer, "Think globally, act locally."-Paul McCartney, "A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." -John Lennon
_[' ]_- [_★_]- i\/\/i - ✿~✿ -⟨*✝*⟩
( -_Q) ( -_- ) ( -_- ) ( -_- ) ( -_- )
Copy and paste this into your signature if you support cool hats

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:22 pm

Awesome Dudes and Dudettes wrote:

I get where your coming from but what else is a character suppose to say?

Any other introduction.
✦ excal ✦

Silver Commonwealth
Ambassador

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Silver Commonwealth » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 am

New Excalibus wrote:

Also, I might be wrong, but villain American nations are quite common in NationStates. That said, it is NationStates, not movie industry, so...
✥ ᴛʜᴇ ɴᴇᴡꜱ ✥
- ꜱɴɴ
- ᴀʀᴄʜɪᴠᴇ
✉ ʀᴀɴᴅᴏᴍ ✉
- ᴀᴅᴍɪɴɪꜱᴛʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
- ꜱᴛᴏʀɪᴇꜱ

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:25 am

Characters surviving massive explosions.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Vincere Terrae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vincere Terrae » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 am

I hate all the terrible villains that plague super hero movies now, like all the generic CGI villains where their only motivation is to "destroy/conquer the whole world because they are the most powerful" like this has been a cliche for decades and most mass audiences don't seem to mind it drives me insane how rarely we get good villains in these types of movies
If you're reading this, have a nice day! :)

ALL HAIL TO THE GLORIOUS NATION OF VINCERE TERRAE!!

Hey you! we're recruiting members for an upcoming RP! Maybe check it out? https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=472307

Myfanwyski
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 12, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Myfanwyski » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:39 am

the bomb is ticking- and people are trying to save the world- always goes down to the last few seconds.

Sunstruck
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunstruck » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:35 am

We must Collect the Thing that will Stop the Evil

Main character hurt me years ago, now I seek revenge

*starts movie with main characters doing daily routine things to happy background music*

Suspicious side character was the real villain all along

Experienced person: No, I won't help you. (helps the main character)

"It took us forever to track you down. The military needs you back." "No." "Please?" "Okay."
epic

Free Arabian Nation
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Arabian Nation » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:56 am

America is either the most OP and bestest country on Earth or quickly overwhelmed and weak (Though I will note it's more often the former)
العرب الأحرار
I don't use NS Stats, for they are against the will of Liberty and God.

News
Open to TGs

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:38 am

The characters literally walking right out of the explosion barely harmed, discounting injuries pre-explosion.
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Arts & Fiction