NATION

PASSWORD

The Writers' Block

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Any issues about false allegations of sexual assault or domestic violence?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues about false allegations of sexual assault or domestic violence?
#918?

It's more "unconfirmed" than "definitely false", though it's really not hard to decide what to do when you know someone is lying.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Any issues about false allegations of sexual assault or domestic violence?
#918?

It's more "unconfirmed" than "definitely false", though it's really not hard to decide what to do when you know someone is lying.

Thanks!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Hurjaki
Lobbyist

Founded: May 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurjaki » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 pm

I'm not sure, but does the policy Theocracy also mean that all other religions are outlawed?
(...as the description only states that it is mandatory to believe in the national religion, not that any other belief is impossible)

If so, than issue #619 wouldn't work for me, as I have said policy enabled. And yes, in Hurjaki any other belief is outlawed. Any differing opinion is punisheable by public beheading.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:53 am

Hurjaki wrote:I'm not sure, but does the policy Theocracy also mean that all other religions are outlawed?
(...as the description only states that it is mandatory to believe in the national religion, not that any other belief is impossible)

If so, than issue #619 wouldn't work for me, as I have said policy enabled. And yes, in Hurjaki any other belief is outlawed. Any differing opinion is punisheable by public beheading.

Technically, it does (although, there could be some scope an issue about illegally practising religion in a country with Theocracy).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This issue has now been amended.

We'd be grateful if you'd raise potential validity problems in this thread in future.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:40 am

Would it be okay if an issue [draft] presumes that whatever nation was answering it has a city [probably situated at some distance from the capital] called Newpool, or maybe Livercastle?
And that some of that city’s people, although from the same basic ancestry as mainstream @@DEMONYMPLURAL@@, speak in a rather impenetrable accent/dialect (as do some among the ‘Scousers’ of RL Liverpool, and the ‘Geordies’ of RL Newcastle-on-Tyne, the cities whose names I'm blending here: the form of speech involved here therefore might be called something like ‘Jorder’ or ‘Skouzie’…)?

I had the idea for an issue that asks governments to consider what actually counts as an ‘ethnic minority’ for the purpose of anti-discrimination laws…
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:53 am

Most countries have people from an area of that country with a particularly impenetrable accent, so that would be fine imo (though it sounds very familiar, make sure it hasn't been done before).

I think Newpool or Livercastle would be out, though, as they're exclusively an English reference and while people in/from the UK and people in/from Ireland would get it, others wouldn't.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:06 am

Sanctaria wrote:Most countries have people from an area of that country with a particularly impenetrable accent, so that would be fine imo (though it sounds very familiar, make sure it hasn't been done before).
There are issues about different languages, I know, but this is basically about whether those local forms of speech count as languages for legal purposes which I think is new. I'll check, though. (My inspiration was memory of a story that appeared in a UK newspaper some years ago, about a Scouser who applied for a job somewhere in S.E. England and claimed racial discrimination when rejected by the potential employers due to their speech: maybe you're also remembering that incident, or a similar one?)

I think Newpool or Livercastle would be out, though, as they're exclusively an English reference and while people in/from the UK and people in/from Ireland would get it, others wouldn't.
But if I use a completely invented name instead, mightn't even fewer people get the reference? 'Newpool', at least, seem a generic enough name to be plausible in many nations with people spotting the reference then as a potential bonus...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Bears Armed wrote:
Sanctaria wrote:Most countries have people from an area of that country with a particularly impenetrable accent, so that would be fine imo (though it sounds very familiar, make sure it hasn't been done before).
There are issues about different languages, I know, but this is basically about whether those local forms of speech count as languages for legal purposes which I think is new. I'll check, though. (My inspiration was memory of a story that appeared in a UK newspaper some years ago, about a Scouser who applied for a job somewhere in S.E. England and claimed racial discrimination when rejected by the potential employers due to their speech: maybe you're also remembering that incident, or a similar one?)

But if I use a completely invented name instead, mightn't even fewer people get the reference? 'Newpool', at least, seem a generic enough name to be plausible in many nations with people spotting the reference then as a potential bonus...

Babeltown?

:unsure:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Aside from #1139, are there any other issues that have the theme of wrestling and/or the line between sports and entertainment? I'm aware there are issues surrounding performance-enhancing drugs, gladiatorial/blood sports and then safety in boxing, but I've got ideas bubbling in my head for an issue (perhaps even a chain of issues) regarding wrestling culture and the ethics of the business.

On a completely different note: aside from #659, are there any other disability-focused issues out there? As a disabled person I have one or two ideas for issues regarding disabled people and their rights, just want to know if anything else has already been covered beside access issues.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:Aside from #1139, are there any other issues that have the theme of wrestling and/or the line between sports and entertainment? I'm aware there are issues surrounding performance-enhancing drugs, gladiatorial/blood sports and then safety in boxing, but I've got ideas bubbling in my head for an issue (perhaps even a chain of issues) regarding wrestling culture and the ethics of the business.
This question is too vague to really answer. As you point out, there's lots of issues about sports as entertainment.

Do you mean to make an issue about how professional wrestling matches are fixed, and are more like live-action theater with scripted plots rather than genuine competitions? I don't think we have that yet.

Kylarnatia wrote:On a completely different note: aside from #659, are there any other disability-focused issues out there? As a disabled person I have one or two ideas for issues regarding disabled people and their rights, just want to know if anything else has already been covered beside access issues.
#558 is about blindness. #422 is about amputees. #830 is about learning disabilities. #1148 is about (generic) disability benefits.
Last edited by Trotterdam on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:Aside from #1139, are there any other issues that have the theme of wrestling and/or the line between sports and entertainment? I'm aware there are issues surrounding performance-enhancing drugs, gladiatorial/blood sports and then safety in boxing, but I've got ideas bubbling in my head for an issue (perhaps even a chain of issues) regarding wrestling culture and the ethics of the business.
This question is too vague to really answer. As you point out, there's lots of issues about sports as entertainment.

Do you mean to make an issue about how professional wrestling matches are fixed, and are more like live-action theater with scripted plots rather than genuine competitions? I don't think we have that yet.

Kind of, but I was thinking more of the controversies that surround wrestling: "kayfabe" is one of them (what you mention), but there's also steroid use, injuries to both performers and fans who try to recreate it, and then wrestling promotions accepting huge sums of money from regimes tied to human rights abuses.

I apologise for being vague, it's an idea that just occurred to me out of the moment and I'm still thinking of ideas as I'm writing this.

Trotterdam wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:On a completely different note: aside from #659, are there any other disability-focused issues out there? As a disabled person I have one or two ideas for issues regarding disabled people and their rights, just want to know if anything else has already been covered beside access issues.
#558 is about blindness. #422 is about amputees. #830 is about learning disabilities. #1148 is about (generic) disability benefits.

Thanks! I'll read through all these and see what I can come up with. :)
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:08 pm

Does complaining about issues in general go here? Or elsewhere?
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Sanctaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 12, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sanctaria » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:11 pm

The Plutonian Empire wrote:Does complaining about issues in general go here? Or elsewhere?

If you think an issue's stats are coded wrong i.e. you think it has caused the wrong effect on your nation, you post here.

If you think an issue has a spelling, grammar, validity, or macro error, you post here.

Other comments/concerns/complaints should start here and then, if further discussion is warranted, break out into their own thread.
Divine Federation of Sanctaria

Ideological Bulwark #258

Dr. Bethany Greer CMD, Sanctarian Ambassador to the World Assembly
Author of:
GA#109 GA#133 GA#176 GA#201 GA#222 GA#297
GA#590 (Co)
Frisbeeteria wrote:Do people not realize that moderators can tell when someone is wanking?

Luna Amore wrote:Sanc is always watching. Ever vigilant.

Auralia wrote:Your condescending attitude is remarkably annoying.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:28 am

Ha? What happened to my post about the Liverpool/Newcastle debate? Was it deleted, or did I not post it?
Last edited by Australian rePublic on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Possible Issue Title Giveaway

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:39 am

How about a police-based issue called 'A Disturbance in the Force' ?
Anybody want to try it?

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:42 am

Is there an issue about whether a hero/famous person was from the player's country or not? I'm thinking along the lines of the Alexander Greek or Macedonian thing.

Thanks.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Pro: volone is an Italian cheese made from cow's milk.
Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

RANDOMNAME coinicidence

Postby Bears Armed » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:37 am

just received by a puppet:

Conservative commentators have remarked that many foreign immigrants in Bears Armed Broadcasting Corporation are failing to take part in, or even acknowledge, the country’s rich and varied culture, traditions, and social mores. This has caused some interethnic strife, and reports of violence in minority-dominated neighbourhoods have been increasing every day.

The Debate
1. “It’s disrespectful,” says Angela Merkel, serving traditional chromatic crow-shaped cookies on a tray. “These people talk funny, dress funny, pray to bizarre gods, and cook their smelly food. Food I’ve never seen on any LOCAL menu. Some of them don’t even speak our language very well! If at all! If immigrants want the privilege of living in this country then they should be made to adopt our own traditions! Otherwise our culture will slowly but surely disappear! If they refuse... well, then they can go back to their own country since they love it so much.”

^_^

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:27 am

Mzeusia wrote:Is there an issue about whether a hero/famous person was from the player's country or not? I'm thinking along the lines of the Alexander Greek or Macedonian thing.

Thanks.

Pretty sure we've not got an issue that covers that question.

Scratching my head a bit as to what the set-up would be, though. But, if you've got an idea that you think you can make work, go for it!

We love more GI drafts.

Bears Armed wrote:just received by a puppet:

Conservative commentators have remarked that many foreign immigrants in Bears Armed Broadcasting Corporation are failing to take part in, or even acknowledge, the country’s rich and varied culture, traditions, and social mores. This has caused some interethnic strife, and reports of violence in minority-dominated neighbourhoods have been increasing every day.

The Debate
1. “It’s disrespectful,” says Angela Merkel, serving traditional chromatic crow-shaped cookies on a tray. “These people talk funny, dress funny, pray to bizarre gods, and cook their smelly food. Food I’ve never seen on any LOCAL menu. Some of them don’t even speak our language very well! If at all! If immigrants want the privilege of living in this country then they should be made to adopt our own traditions! Otherwise our culture will slowly but surely disappear! If they refuse... well, then they can go back to their own country since they love it so much.”

^_^

Strange coincidence...
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Kylarnatia wrote:but there's also steroid use, injuries to both performers and fans who try to recreate it
...You know, it hadn't occurred to me that people would bother cheating at a game that's already fixed anyway. Is it just to look cool?

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:but there's also steroid use, injuries to both performers and fans who try to recreate it
...You know, it hadn't occurred to me that people would bother cheating at a game that's already fixed anyway. Is it just to look cool?

It was a huge issue in the nineties - Vince McMahon claimed that the performers decided to do it themselves, though some performers claimed they were told to take them by McMahon. The subsequent trial led to McMahon revealing that wrestling was scripted.

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:16 pm

Hey everybody.
Has there been an issue about constellations?

I know in the real world, the constellations were standardised in the early 20th century, and before that, each culture saw different things in the sky, and had their own mythologies about them and so on. Could standardisation have happened on NS, leading to a movement in @NAME@, centred around bringing back the original ones?

If that doesn't work, maybe there could be a dispute over the actual constellations, and different groups could argue about what they see in the stars. An obvious division would be immigrants and natives, but there are of course other divisions.

Thanks.
If you are interested in having the Mzeusian Library write something for your nation, click here!

Anti: gua is one of the 2 major islands that make up the Caribbean nation of Antigua and Barbuda. I wonder what the other island is?

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:58 pm

What are constellations even for?

They serve a minor benefit in cataloguing different parts of the sky (it's pretty large), but most serious astronomy pays little attention to the constellations as we've realized that they have little to do with how stars actually behave, and with how many stars we know of today naming a constellation doesn't really help much to identify which one you're talking about.

Even astrologers only pay attention to a minority of constellations (the ones on the ecliptic).

Is there actually a serious movement to revive, say, the Chinese constellations?

Mzeusia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mzeusia » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:34 pm

There are no serious effort to revive other constellations, but why not make a national one for the sake of an issue?
I also think that culturally, constellations could be seen by some as important, and any person who believed this would care little about the uselessness of constellations for astronomy, and more about preserving their own culture.

Maybe the issue wouldn't have links to real life, but I don't think that that makes it any less valid an issue idea.
Last edited by Mzeusia on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:00 am

On a lighter note, seven months later, and this entire threaf still makes me laughs:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=445616&start=50

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?