NATION

PASSWORD

The General Car Thread - The Facelift.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Petrolheadia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrolheadia » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:17 pm

Special Aromas wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:My dad is now thinking that he might keep the Corolla and buy a cheap car for me and him. It'd be my learner + first car, a cheap hauler for his DIY stuff, a tow car, a winter beater...

He's thinking about buying a cheap worn Honda CR-V (5-7k PLN ~ $1350-1900).

But I don't see myself getting an SUV, and propose a 1992 Volvo 945.

It has over 428kkm (266k miles) of mileage, but the 2.0 Redblock engine is known to last way longer, the owner is throwing in a new LPG installation and valid insurance+inspection until 2020, and it is listed for 2900 PLN ($750).

Do you think it is a good first car/DIYer beater idea?

I guess with the Volvo you could probably fix most of it yourself, which you should enjoy to do as you'll be fixing it a lot. You're very ballsy buying a car with more than 200,000kms on the clock let alone 480,000

It's gonna be a cheap family beater besides its use by me. The competitors are 200k+ CR-Vs, 250k+ Cherokees, Discoveries, E36s, E39s, B4 Audi 80s and Opel Omegas, and 300k+ W202 or W210s.

I'm not seeing myself in an SUV, the Benzes and Opel rust quite a lot, and I don't think the Audi or Bimmers have what it takes.
Capitalism, single-payer healthcare, pro-choice, LGBT rights, progressive personal taxation, low corporate tax, pro-business law, welfare for those in need.
Nazism, edgism, dogmatic statements, most of Abrahamic-derived morality (esp. as law), welfare for those not in need.
We are not Albania and I am not Albanian, FFS!
Male, gearhead, classic rock fan, gamer, agnostic.
Not sure if left-libertarian, ex-libertarian or without a damn clue.
Where you can talk about cars!
"They're always saying I'm a Capitalist pig. I suppose I am, but, ah...it ah...it's good for my drumming, I think." - Keith Moon,
If a Porsche owner treats it like a bicycle, he's a gentleman. And if he prays to it, he's simply a moron. - Jan Nowicki.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:23 am

You cats like those big soft luxury boats, right? You all down for this 70s bit of excess jim tackery? I had a Hot Wheel of one of these as a kid, was always fascinated by in the same way you would be if a peacock wearing a top hat with sparklers would keep walking by.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:00 am

Hol-lee shit...it's...my first car!

Same model and year and miles when I got it. The differences are that mine had a quarter vinyl top on the back of the roof line, gold paisley upholstery, and was bright fucking yellow.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:43 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Hol-lee shit...it's...my first car!

Same model and year and miles when I got it. The differences are that mine had a quarter vinyl top on the back of the roof line, gold paisley upholstery, and was bright fucking yellow.

And here's mine https://barnfinds.com/1966-vw-15-window-hippie-bus/ Only difference is that mine was all white, having come from a local electronics store as their delivery van.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:You cats like those big soft luxury boats, right? You all down for this 70s bit of excess jim tackery? I had a Hot Wheel of one of these as a kid, was always fascinated by in the same way you would be if a peacock wearing a top hat with sparklers would keep walking by.

70s and tacky are redundant.

Most 70s styles did not age well.

But that is a perfect car if you like 70s aesthetics.
I am not a fan of the aesthetics of the 70s though.

But break out your bell bottoms and leopard print leisure suit, and that is the ride to go with them.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2016

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:02 am

Novus America wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:You cats like those big soft luxury boats, right? You all down for this 70s bit of excess jim tackery? I had a Hot Wheel of one of these as a kid, was always fascinated by in the same way you would be if a peacock wearing a top hat with sparklers would keep walking by.

A lot of 70s cars were rubbish anyways, even back then and still are to this day.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 am

Elwher wrote:

And here's mine https://barnfinds.com/1966-vw-15-window-hippie-bus/ Only difference is that mine was all white, having come from a local electronics store as their delivery van.

Ha, that's my current ride! Mines not a deluxe, though, it's a standard and a 67. But it's red and white.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 am

Dresderstan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

A lot of 70s cars were rubbish anyways, even back then and still are to this day.

Yeah, the 70s were not a good decade for cars.
Especially after the oil crisis.

Bad performance along with the aesthetics.

The 1970s were a very bad decade for the most part.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:11 am

So I had a mock road test today.

Failed it for forgetting to signal at a junction.

With less than a week to go until the real thing that's exactly the sort of stupid mistake I shouldn't be making any more.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 am

Novus America wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:A lot of 70s cars were rubbish anyways, even back then and still are to this day.

Yeah, the 70s were not a good decade for cars.
Especially after the oil crisis.

Bad performance along with the aesthetics.

The 1970s were a very bad decade for the most part.

Now, all I can think about are those lemons from the Cars 2 movie. What a perfect example of 70s cars in a nutshell.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:13 am

Vassenor wrote:So I had a mock road test today.

With less than a week to go until the real thing that's exactly the sort of stupid mistake I shouldn't be making any more.

Extra annoying in that everyone around you with licenses don't signal at junctions either.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:17 am

No worries. That is what mock tests are for.
Just do not make the same mistake again.
Which you probably will not.

You learn more from mistakes than success.

When you think turn right, always think signal right.
In time it becomes automatic habit.

But earlier just make sure to think right turn, right signal.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:19 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:

Extra annoying in that everyone around you with licenses don't signal at junctions either.

Yes.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:20 am

Elwher wrote:

Mine.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =218154302

Though I bought mine for 1,000 used in 2007.
Even accounting for inflation the price seems absurdly high.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:23 am

Vassenor wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Extra annoying in that everyone around you with licenses don't signal at junctions either.

Yes.

Just remember you do NOT want to be like those people.
Notice all the jackasses, and then remember you are not going to be like that.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Novus America wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Yes.

Ironically I missed signalling because I was too focused on the traffic approaching from the junction that I may need to give way to.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Elwher
Powerbroker

Founded: May 24, 2012
Capitalizt

Postby Elwher » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Dresderstan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Just remember Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap.
CYNIC, n. A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they ought to be. Hence the custom among the Scythians of plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.
Ambrose Bierce

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Ironically I missed signalling because I was too focused on the traffic approaching from the junction that I may need to give way to.

It happens. Just make sure not to make the same mistake again.
You will be fine.
If that is the worst thing you did, you are not doing badly.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Dresderstan
Negotiator

Postby Dresderstan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Elwher wrote:
Dresderstan wrote:A lot of 70s cars were rubbish anyways, even back then and still are to this day.

Just remember Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap.

Yeah... I don't buy that type of pessimistic and negative thinking. The 70s were just a really really bad time.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 pm

Novus America wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

You will be fine.

Yeah, I made a few small mistakes as well but those on their own would not have been enough to fail me.

Reference: In the UK Driving Test you are allowed up to fifteen "Minor" faults before the test is considered failed, but any "serious" or "dangerous" faults is an automatic fail. The difference between "serious" and "dangerous" is whether doing so actively puts other road users in harm's way - the big one I used to keep making being not spotting pedestrians at a crosswalk (hopefully I got the terminology right this time) until the last second.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Novus America wrote:
You will be fine.

Yeah, I made a few small mistakes as well but those on their own would not have been enough to fail me.

Reference: In the UK Driving Test you are allowed up to fifteen "Minor" faults before the test is considered failed, but any "serious" or "dangerous" faults is an automatic fail. The difference between "serious" and "dangerous" is whether doing so actively puts other road users in harm's way - the big one I used to keep making being not spotting pedestrians at a crosswalk (hopefully I got the terminology right this time) until the last second.

In the US you can luck out and take your test at a DMV that only exists on a Tuesday in a lodge and have a test taker that's bored so that your test is to drive around the block and as long as you don't hit anything, you get a license.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:49 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

In the US you can luck out and take your test at a DMV that only exists on a Tuesday in a lodge and have a test taker that's bored so that your test is to drive around the block and as long as you don't hit anything, you get a license.

Or you get unlucky and the test administrator’s cat crapped on his bed that morning and he wants to make you miserable.

The US is basically 50+ countries. Each state does its own test, and different test people at different DMVs might be different. Even if there is a strict criteria there is still leeway.

There is an element of luck involved. Some people will be harder, some easier.

Hopefully you get a good person at a good time.

I know some people in Maryland go test shopping.
When I took it supposedly the people at the Glen Burnie MVA were much harder than the ones up in Bel Air.
So I took mine in Bel Air.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:52 pm

Novus America wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:In the US you can luck out and take your test at a DMV that only exists on a Tuesday in a lodge and have a test taker that's bored so that your test is to drive around the block and as long as you don't hit anything, you get a license.

Or you get unlucky and the test administrators crapped on his bed that morning and he wants to make you miserable.
In some places.
The US is basically 50+ countries. Each state does its own test, and different test people at different DMVs might be different. Even if there is a strict criteria there is still leeway.

Plus my instructor said he was being stricter with the practice test than most examiners will be.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:01 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Or you get unlucky and the test administrators crapped on his bed that morning and he wants to make you miserable.
In some places.

Plus my instructor said he was being stricter with the practice test than most examiners will be.

A good policy. Best to prepare for the toughest examiner and hopefully you get a not so bad one.
But it sounds like you should be fine.
And there is no shame in retaking if something goes wrong for some reason.

I knew someone who had to take it maybe 8 times.

Really not over stressing is the best policy.
You drive better when you are less stressed.

Make sure you get a good night’s sleep of course.
You drive better if you are well rested.

But sounds like you got the main parts down fine.
You definitely have the ability to pass.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:02 pm

Novus America wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

A good policy. Best to prepare for the toughest examiner and hopefully you get a not so bad one.
But it sounds like you should be fine.
And there is no shame in retaking if something goes wrong for some reason.

I knew someone who had to take it maybe 8 times.

Really not over stressing is the best policy.
You drive better when you are less stressed.

Make sure you get a good night’s sleep of course.
You drive better if you are well rested.

But sounds like you got the main parts down fine.
You definitely have the ability to pass.

Everyone else in my family took at least three goes. And there is a little bit of pressure because my instructor is actually closing out his books so he can retire as a self-employed instructor and go off to coach police drivers instead and we don't want to feel like I've wasted the last year.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General