NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] The Only Good Criminal

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] The Only Good Criminal

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:05 am

I'm aware of the six* options, but I honestly love the idea of having another no-courts reversal and a use for the metricism policy.. :P
Hope this isn't too out-there, or worse, covered, already. :blush:
(Also I got a little experimental with 2(a/b))

Draft 1.21
Title: Clash of Heroes
The Issue: The controversial superhero, The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Slasher, has made the headlines after @@HE@@ found the local Hungry Hippo gang — and proceeded to kill them. Local police and fellow vigilantes are in an all-out disagreement as to whether this was a heroic act or a punishable crime.
Validity: Capital Punishment; Vigilantes

Validity: Courts
Option 1a: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad superhero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start killing, that crosses the line. It's against the superhero code! The courts should decide if, how, and when people should be killed. You should arrest this Slasher, and encourage vigilantes to serve justice in a more civilized manner." @@HE@@ proceeds to drink some Justice Milk out of a carton.
[effect] knocking out criminals results in being interrogated while the criminals escape

Validity: No Courts
Option 1b: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad superhero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start killing, that crosses the line. It's against the superhero code! We should be reinstating an official courts system to decide if, how, and when people should be killed. You should arrest this Slasher, and encourage vigilantes, and the state, to serve justice in a more civilized manner." @@HE@@ proceeds to drink some Justice Milk out of a carton.
[effect] knocking out criminals results in being interrogated while the criminals escape

Validity: Metricism
Option 2a: "I think the real crime here is that costume," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people a centimeter, they take a kilometer! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Anyone we see in a cheap costume shall have their heads cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"
[effect] justice is served cold by a hunched-over goon with a side of guillotine

Validity: No Metricism
Option 2b: "I think the real crime here is that costume," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people an inch, they take a mile! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Anyone we see in a cheap costume shall have their heads cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"
[effect] justice is served cold by a hunched-over goon with a side of guillotine

Option 3: "I don't see nothin' wrong with it," says fringe officer @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ Cleaver, playing with a stained rope. "As long as these here vigilantes are scarin' criminals senseless, I see no reason to punish 'em. Heck, why not capitalize on this situation and encourage vigilantes to be more brutal and leave us with less work to do? Ya know, we scratch their backs, they scratch everyone else's? That'll really scare them muggers and murderers into compliance!"
[effect] the fine line between heroism and villainy has turned invisible

Option 4: "Hmm... do you think it might be our society that has turned violent?" asks The Lady in Lavender, gifting you a potted daffodil. "All this brutal talk of murder and violence really is a downer. These extremist rogues like the Slasher or the leather-clad Miracle Whip are following the state's example, after all. Maybe we could lead by way of ending capital punishment? We could talk it out... I'm sure that would be nice."
[effect] cops punish mass murderers by offering them a cup of tea

Title: Whips, Chains, and Vigilantes, Oh My!
The Issue: The controversial superhero, The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Slasher, has made the headlines after @@HE@@ found the local Hungry Hippo gang — and proceeded to kill them. Local police and fellow vigilantes are in an all-out disagreement as to whether this was a heroic act or a punishable crime.
Validity: Capital Punishment; Vigilantes

Validity: Courts
Option 1a: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad superhero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start killing, that crosses the line. It's against the superhero code! The courts should decide if, how, and when people should be killed. You should arrest this Slasher, and encourage vigilantes to serve justice in a more civilized manner." @@HE@@ proceeds to drink some Justice Milk out of a carton.

Validity: No Courts
Option 1b: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad superhero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start killing, that crosses the line. It's against the superhero code! We should be reinstating an official courts system to decide if, how, and when people should be killed. You should arrest this Slasher, and encourage vigilantes, and the state, to serve justice in a more civilized manner." @@HE@@ proceeds to drink some Justice Milk out of a carton.

Validity: Metricism
Option 2a: "I think the real crime here is that costume," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people a centimeter, they take a kilometer! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Anyone we see in a cheap costume shall have their heads cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"
[effect] trick-or-treaters are in for a real surprise

Validity: No Metricism
Option 2b: "I think the real crime here is that costume," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people an inch, they take a mile! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Anyone we see in a cheap costume shall have their heads cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"

Option 3: "I don't see nothin' wrong with it," says fringe officer @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ 'Cleaver' @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, playing with a stained rope. "As long as these here vigilantes are scarin' criminals senseless, I see no reason to punish 'em. Heck, why not encourage vigilantes to be more brutal and leave us with less work to do? Ya know, we scratch their backs, they scratch everyone else's? That'll really scare them muggers and murderers into compliance!"

Option 4: "Hmm... do you think it might be our society that has turned violent?" asks The Lady in Lavender, gifting you a potted daffodil. "All this brutal talk of murder and violence really is a downer. These rogues are following the state's example, after all. Maybe we could lead by way of ending capital punishment? We could talk it out... I'm sure that would be nice."

The Issue: The controversial superhero, The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Slasher, has been causing quite the ruckus after doing some unspeakable things to @@HIS@@ latest batch of captured criminals. The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ police force is questioning if such drastic measures should be carried out without state approval, and fellow vigilantes are in an uproar.
Validity: Capital Punishment; Vigilantes? (Followup to 511.3?)

Option 1: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad superhero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start killing, that crosses the line. It's against the Superhero code! It's the state's department to decide if, how, and when people should be killed. You should arrest this Slasher, and bring justice to @@NAME@@ in a more civilized manner."

Option 2: "I think the real crime here is that costume," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people an inch, they take a kilometer! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Anyone we see in a cheap costume shall have their heads cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"

Option 3: "I don't see nothin' wrong with it," says fringe officer @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ 'Cleaver' @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, playing with a stained rope. "As long as these here vigilantes are scarin' criminals senseless, I see no reason to punish 'em. Heck, why not encourage vigilantes to be more brutal and leave us with less work to do? Ya know, we scratch their backs, they scratch everyone else's? That'll really scare them muggers and murderers into compliance!"

Option 4: "Hmm... do you think it might be our society that has turned violent?" asks The Lady in Lavender, giving you a potted daffodil. "All this brutal talk of murder and violence really is a downer. These rogue vigilantes are following the state's example, after all. Maybe we could lead by way of ending capital punishment? We could talk it out... I'm sure that would be nice."

The Issue: The controversial superhero, The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ Slasher, has been causing quite the ruckus after doing some unspeakable things to @@HIS@@ latest batch of captured criminals. The @@DEMONYMADJECTIVE@@ police force is questioning if such drastic measures should be carried out without state approval, and fellow vigilantes are in an uproar.
Validity: Corporal Punishment AND/OR Capital Punishment; Vigilantes

Validity: Must have Capital Punishment
Option 1a: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad super hero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start killing, that crosses the line. It's against the Super Hero code! It's the state's department to decide if, how, and when people should be killed. We should arrest this Slasher, and bring justice to @@NAME@@ in a more civilized manor."

Validity: Must not have Capital Punishment
Option 1b: "Now don't get me wrong, I appreciate this Slasher person's duty to the public," begins spandex-clad super hero, The Rubber Waffle. "But when my colleagues start tearing into villains, that crosses the line. It's against the Super Hero code! It's the state's department to decide if, how, and when people should be whipped. We should arrest this Slasher, and bring justice to @@NAME@@ in a more civilized manor."

Validity: Must have Capital punishment
Option 2a: "I think the real crime here is that spandex," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people an inch, they take a kilometer! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Any one we see in a cheap costume shall have their heads cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"

Option 2b: "I think the real crime here is that spandex," snickers one of your aides, who's shocked into submission by your Chief of Police, making a big stink out of it. "DO YOU THINK THIS IS A JOKE? We give these people an inch, they take a kilometer! It is about time we ban vigilantism! Any one we see in a cheap costume shall have their hands cut off! OFF WITH THEIR HANDS!"

Option 3: "I don't see nothin' wrong with it," says fringe officer @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ 'Cleaver' @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, playing with a stained rope. "As long as these here vigilantes are scarin' criminals senseless, I see no reason to punish 'em. Heck, why not encourage vigilantes to be more brutal and leave us with less work to do? Ya know, we scratch their backs, they scratch everyone else's? That'll really scare them muggers and murderers senseless!"

Validity: Must have Capital punishment
Option 4a: "Hmm... do you think it might be our society that has turned violent?" asks The Lady in Lavender, giving you a potted daffodil. "All this brutal talk of murder and violence really is a downer. These rogue vigilantes are following the state's example, after all. Maybe we could lead by way of ending capital punishment? We could talk it out... I'm sure that would be nice."

Option 4b: "Hmm... do you think it might be our society that has turned violent?" asks The Lady in Lavender, giving you a potted daffodil. "All this brutal talk of murder and violence really is a downer. These rogue vigilantes are following the state's example, after all. Maybe we could lead by way of ending corporal punishment? We could talk it out... I'm sure that would be nice."
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 18 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:31 am

I think it'd be a better issue if you took out the corporal punishment angle, and made it just about whether it's okay for vigilantes to kill or not.

Note also we don't actually have a masked vigilante policy at present, we've just chain the relevant issues together. If you could find a way to chain it from existing issues, that'd be even better, though we can certainly change position to create a policy instead, if there's multiple issues needing to check if vigilantes exist.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:18 am

Title is rather similar to #50 Whips, Chains, and Leather, Oh My!.

There's otherwise no overlap whatsoever, but the title needs to change.

Also: civilized manner. A manor is a house.

Plus you have a few too many spaces. "Anyone", "superhero".

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 am

Thanks. :rofl:

There's otherwise no overlap whatsoever, but the title needs to change.
I was honestly going for a reference to that issue, but I can change it if you like. :lol:
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:43 am

The callback made sense to me, I think it can stay as it is.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am

Sweet! :D

Course, that title's even more appropriate for corporal punishment, but still, I get wanting to leave that aspect out of it.
(still got one more idea for corporal punishment though. ;))

Also if this somehow were to get added as 1250, that'd be 50³ which would be quite appropriate considering it's a throwback to 50. :lol:
(not saying to do that, just saying it's an amusing possibility. I'm sure something far more interesting's comin' for 1250 tho)

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:52 am

Jutsa wrote:Also if this somehow were to get added as 1250, that'd be 50³
Almost. What's two orders of magnitude among friends? ;)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:00 am

Oh wait right that'd be 10x5³ wouldn't it... *twiddles thumbs and looks blankly at the floor in shame*

Got room for issue 125000?

(also new draft's up; 511.3 work? >_>)

edit: Also changed a "senseless" to "compliance" and a "spandex" to "costume"
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

#511 is already chained from #271. The more issues need to be chained in a row to get this, the less people are going to see it. Especially if it's only one option on a five-option issue.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:40 pm

*shrugs*

Think flagifying vigilantes is the way to go? :blush:

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Jutsa wrote:*shrugs*

Think flagifying vigilantes is the way to go? :blush:

I think the editor can decide that if this gets picked up. Focus on polishing up the text.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm pretty sure this is already an issue. I know that everyone said it's not, but I still have that hanging suspition. Also, option 2- why mix metric with no metric
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Effect for option 2- What surprise- remmeber people reading effect lines might not know what the main issue says
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Baggieland
Issues Editor

Founded: May 27, 2013
Father Knows Best State

Postby Baggieland » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Also, option 2- why mix metric with no metric

Jutsa wrote:We give these people an inch, they take a kilometer!

I agree with Aussie, give an inch and take a mile. Or give a centimetre and take a kilometre.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:04 pm

I kinda did that because, y'know, metricism and non-metricisms are things, but...

that's given me an interesting idea, though.

New draft's up. Thoughts on how I went about that? :rofl:

I'm pretty sure this is already an issue.
Might be thinking of this one?

I was a little concerned about overlap, myself, but whereas that one's about accidentally killing due to recklessness in bounty hunting,
this one's more about purposefully killing as a means of fighting crime. Here's hoping that's different enough, though. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Oh, also adjusted some wording. Option 1 had some massive grammatical issues, and upon fixing them, I split it into two options; one for courts, and one for no courts which... hopefully reinstates them, I guess.

Also, the description's been changed; made better even if I had to think of a way to do it with corporal punishment,
but also changed since, y'know, it's only murder that the draft surrounds, now. Hope it all looks ok... still made two sets of variant options, though. :blush:

edit: Also, if you're curious as to where I got "justice milk" from...
I have no idea, something my mom said sounded like it just tonight and I couldn't resist. :rofl:
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:58 pm

So, if you removed the corporal punishment angle and made this purely about capital punishment (probably a good call, by the way), the title is even less appropiate now.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:20 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Effect for option 2- What surprise- remmeber people reading effect lines might not know what the main issue says

Effect lines are allowed to be slightly unclear or misleading out of context, as long as they still sound interesting and look like they mean something.

That said, I think something like, "children are upset that they can no longer trick-or-treat," might be an improvement.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 am

So, if you removed the corporal punishment angle and made this purely about capital punishment (probably a good call, by the way), the title is even less appropiate now.
Fair enough. :P

Got any other title suggestions? :blush:
Last edited by Jutsa on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:33 am

USS Monitor wrote:That said, I think something like, "children are upset that they can no longer trick-or-treat," might be an improvement.
One problem with that effect line:
#271 1. police are arresting costumed characters at comic book conventions
#511 1. trick-or-treaters and circus clowns have been arrested under suspicion of being renegade vigilantes
I think that joke might be overplayed by now.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:35 am

Oof.

What about "Justice is served by a hunched-over goon with a guillotine"

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:32 pm

Decided to add a variation on that. Changed the title, added a joke about "capitalizing",
and added the "Miracle Whip". :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:51 pm

It has been submitted. :)

Thank you all for the help~

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:31 pm

Good Luck!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:32 am

Good luck!
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?