NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 4: Brainstorming, Discussion, Tea, Advice

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:30 am

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:So you're interested?

A little- I don't handle stress all to well and get the feeling that this might be more like the MIB comics in tone or to be more specific- very dark.

It might. I'm not sure yet, but I can try to keep it lighter.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Founded: Nov 24, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ort » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 am

Holiday 365
Every day is a holiday and each holiday has a genetically enhanced, corporate-sponsored champion (e.g. Santa Claus). Some holidays are more popular than their counterparts, but all are a testament to consumerism. These holidays were seen as a necessary solution to an economic crisis and their corporate sponsors, and by proxy their respective holiday champions, are considered heroes. It’s considered each citizen’s civic duty to celebrate these holidays. In fact, Earth’s entire culture is about celebrating holidays.

This is an RP idea that I had and I’d like to know what y’all think. We’d play as holiday champions who uncover a conspiracy aaaaannnndddd … that’s all I’m gonna say right now, I’ve got a rough idea as to what it’s going to be but I’ve still got some things to work out. I’m mainly trying to gauge interest right now, this is still very WIP.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:02 am

Ort wrote:Holiday 365
Every day is a holiday and each holiday has a genetically enhanced, corporate-sponsored champion (e.g. Santa Claus). Some holidays are more popular than their counterparts, but all are a testament to consumerism. These holidays were seen as a necessary solution to an economic crisis and their corporate sponsors, and by proxy their respective holiday champions, are considered heroes. It’s considered each citizen’s civic duty to celebrate these holidays. In fact, Earth’s entire culture is about celebrating holidays.

This is an RP idea that I had and I’d like to know what y’all think. We’d play as holiday champions who uncover a conspiracy aaaaannnndddd … that’s all I’m gonna say right now, I’ve got a rough idea as to what it’s going to be but I’ve still got some things to work out. I’m mainly trying to gauge interest right now, this is still very WIP.

Sounds like an anime.

A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Ex-Nation

Postby Ort » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 am

Harbertia wrote:
Ort wrote:Holiday 365

Sounds like an anime.

Wait, so is this idea a thing that already exists or does it just sound like something that could be an anime?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Ort wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Sounds like an anime.

Wait, so is this idea a thing that already exists or does it just sound like something that could be an anime?

Just sounds like something that would be an anime :p heck it could exist, idk.
Tomorrow is made today.

Dayganistan
Ambassador

Founded: May 02, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dayganistan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:19 pm

Nine months since I've last participated in an RP that actually made it to the IC stage and all I've done in p2tm during those 9 months is complain about there being nothing that interests me. Even when I look for something less niche there's still nothing. As for trying to fix the issue I've been kind of inspired by the Ace Combat series recently what with the release of Ace Combat 7 (although I have to wait a couple more weeks for the PC release) and would love to do an RP based on that series. But I'm a bad OP (apparently if you're not skilled with image editing software it means you're a bad OP and your RP is trash that deserves to die) and there's an Ace Combat RP that's been going on for like 3 years already so I'd just be discarded as a low effort copycat who's too lazy to force a new character into a long running RP. Because it's a lot harder to force a new character into a long running RP than to join as it's starting.
Republic of Dayganistan | جمهوری دهقانستان

A secular, Tajik dominated state in Central Asia which has experienced 40 years of democratic backsliding. NS stats are NOT used.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Dayganistan wrote:Nine months since I've last participated in an RP that actually made it to the IC stage and all I've done in p2tm during those 9 months is complain about there being nothing that interests me. Even when I look for something less niche there's still nothing. As for trying to fix the issue I've been kind of inspired by the Ace Combat series recently what with the release of Ace Combat 7 (although I have to wait a couple more weeks for the PC release) and would love to do an RP based on that series. But I'm a bad OP (apparently if you're not skilled with image editing software it means you're a bad OP and your RP is trash that deserves to die) and there's an Ace Combat RP that's been going on for like 3 years already so I'd just be discarded as a low effort copycat who's too lazy to force a new character into a long running RP. Because it's a lot harder to force a new character into a long running RP than to join as it's starting.

For what it's worth I don't think the Ace Combat RP is that active these days which might help you out.
don't tread on me

Main Nation Ministry
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Main Nation Ministry » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:12 pm

I have been brainstorming a lot lately on horror RPs, where I had the interest of two RP ideas, each that can be done optionally in an "epistolary" format if one wishes.

First Idea: Jess Is Dead
A horror mystery RP based on Stephen King's The Outsider, the game Simulacra, and the movie Cam.

At the fictional urban town of Spark, California, the body of Bruce McQueen, a high school dropout, was discovered in Diamond Park. When the police investigates, eyewitnesses and DNA evidence immediately points towards Jess Maddox, a student around the same age of the victim. However, there is just one alibi that immediately proves that Jess isn't the killer.

She has been dead for a year.

After word has gotten round of Bruce's death, gossip immediately sweeps the Union High School, where it seems that Jess's ghost has come back to haunt and kill Bruce despite many skeptics thinking otherwise. However, a sinister force of either malice or plain supernatural is now attacking high school students where it appears something has sweep over the town. Playing as someone who wishes to solve this mystery, you get to explore the past of both Bruce and Jess to determine how a ghost can simply kill a person. But be warned, there is much darker things on route.

Second Idea: Dead Air

Ever wanted to know how the world would react when an actual zombie apocalypse starts?

Look, no further! In this RP, you get to control the world as it reacts to the zombie apocalypse that sweeps the world. From social media posts from concerned citizens, from breaking news straight from news station, to even Youtube videos detailing the carnage that erupts. Dead Air is a RP that is set to where the apocalypse starts and shows the societal collapse that follows in it's wake.
Local 22 year old Diet Coke Addict College Student Ruins Everything

Quote of the Week: "A NEW STORY ON WRITING THREAD FOR HALLOWEEN!! MYSTERY MINE AVAILABLE NOW!"

RPs I do
- How do you do fellow kids? You want to see something violent? - Artemis: Deimos Trafficking League (Horror/Mature)
- Descend into the forgotten tourist traps of Florida on this transgressive RP! - The Community (Mature/Black Comedy/Slice-of-Life)

My overall account that I use for P2TM and even for international roleplaying! MNM is a mysterious and extremely dangerous dictatorship filled with supernatural oddities, demons, militarized soldiers everywhere, and a misanthropic nihilistic dictator who doesn't give a damn. It's basically if the SCP Foundation got mixed with 1984.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Hey everyone.

I am thinking of starting up a comedy RP. Something either in space (as in, like the cleanup crew on a spaceship, which would show a unique approach to the after effects of a blaster fight in a corridor, something along those lines), or a high-tech comedy. Let me know if you're interested.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Ex-Nation

Postby Ort » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:10 am

Talchyon wrote:Hey everyone.

I am thinking of starting up a comedy RP. Something either in space (as in, like the cleanup crew on a spaceship, which would show a unique approach to the after effects of a blaster fight in a corridor, something along those lines), or a high-tech comedy. Let me know if you're interested.

What exactly is a high-tech comedy?

Rostavykhan
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Rostavykhan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:49 am

Ort wrote:

"Hey, Jerry."
" Yeah, George? "
"Let's go down to the net cafe."
" Why the net cafe? "
"To get a gigabyte to eat."

[laughter]
LEARN TO HATE ; TOTAL HATRED FOR TOTAL WAR
LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE | FEED, SEED, SNEED

Ex-Nation

Postby Ort » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:01 am

Rostavykhan wrote:
Ort wrote:What exactly is a high-tech comedy?

"Hey, Jerry."
" Yeah, George? "
"Let's go down to the net cafe."
" Why the net cafe? "
"To get a gigabyte to eat."

[laughter]

Wouldn't it make more sense if it was just "a byte to eat"? I suppose if you were telling someone the joke, it wouldn't, but when it's written down I think it reads better.

And yes, I'm super fun at parties.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 am

Ort wrote:

It's based on the idea of an RP I was in a few years ago where the characters were all employees at a high tech development company. The RP had a lot of potential and it abruptly ended leaving a lot of players hungry for more.

Where's the comedy in this, you ask? Well, the characters were a mix of psychopaths, criminals, inept morons, power hungry administrators, lustful creeps and more, all in a company where there was always some corporate espionage and the possibility of new inventions malfunctioning. Hilarious stuf, really.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 am

Ok, just as a follow-up. I recently got permission from Doughertania to re-run a former comedy RP he once ran some years ago.

PARAGON INDUSTRIES You can check out how this short-lived RP went along, here.

Anyway, so now I have a choice. Would anyone else like to see this RP get resurrected? Or would people prefer my other possible comedy RP, one involving a starship cleanup crew, with alien invasions, conspiracy, and maybe these guys having to save the galaxy? I have a working title for that one: "Mars Needs Windex."

Would anyone out there be interested in either of these two comedies? Or one, more so than the other? Thanks.

-Talc

Klomania 2
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Klomania 2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:52 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
Please provide as much detail as possible.
RP's Overarching Concept: Year 1969, the United States balkanizes so the Soviet Union wins the Cold War.
Genre/s: Alt-History
Character or Faction Based: Faction Based
Detailed Description: I am only seeking help for one specific concept. When a player requests a detailed report or chooses a nation in my RP, they will be given a detailed report of such country. If it is the country they are playing as, than they will see their country's Modifiers. Modifiers will work similarly to the Modifier/National Trait feature in Hearts of Iron 4, which as the name implies modifies a specific concept of the country according to historical situations.

Example 1: France will have a "Smolders of the Revolution" modifier which, conceptually, should harm its ability to rebuild itself.

Example 2: Any politically liberal ex-USA nation will have the "Ghost of Vietnam/Cuba" modifier which will dramatically decrease public support for any war in foreign (read: not ex-USA) territory.

Example 3: Any southwestern ex-USA nation will have a "Cesar Chavez" modifier which aggravates racial tension between Hispanic and non-Hispanic Californians (aka decreasing national unity) and applies economic pressure (such as reduced agricultural production) to incentive the Californian government to introduce labor rights and civil liberties for Hispanic citizens.

So at the very least, I plan to have modifiers simply be a clue for the player to know the limits of their nation and perhaps some clues to moving beyond those limits which they must work for in order to remove those Modifiers. However, how those modifiers are to be removed is an interesting question, and there is yet to be any idea on any further implementation of the Modifier concept.

Need Help With: Fleshing out and balancing a specific mechanic

Please leave this hashtag in place: #Mentorhelp
Votna paopolie......
..votna cortulerna..
.......votna nesizna

COLENO FAKON GIRNE HIJOMINA!...
.(GO ON FOR YEARS, KLOMANIA!!)..
.................1857-2018...................

Please refer to me as just Klomania. Reason for the 2 was because I lost the original Klomania account.

Umaris
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Umaris » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:55 pm

Help?... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=458623
What happened?

Talchyon
Negotiator

Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:57 pm

Talchyon wrote:Ok, just as a follow-up. I recently got permission from Doughertania to re-run a former comedy RP he once ran some years ago.

PARAGON INDUSTRIES You can check out how this short-lived RP went along, here.

Anyway, so now I have a choice. Would anyone else like to see this RP get resurrected? Or would people prefer my other possible comedy RP, one involving a starship cleanup crew, with alien invasions, conspiracy, and maybe these guys having to save the galaxy? I have a working title for that one: "Mars Needs Windex."

Would anyone out there be interested in either of these two comedies? Or one, more so than the other? Thanks.

-Talc

Hey guys. I decided to go with the space comedy one this time about interstellar janitors who may have to save the galaxy. Check out Mars Needs Windex here on the OOC page. And please join! We'll have fun!
Last edited by Talchyon on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:16 pm

Umaris wrote:Help?... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=458623
What happened?

Sign says hazard.

Sign is red.

Sign scare people away.
Tomorrow is made today.

Umaris
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Umaris » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Umaris wrote:Help?... viewtopic.php?f=31&t=458623
What happened?

Sign says hazard.

Sign is red.

Sign scare people away.

Deleting it.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:17 pm

RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Taking place in the universe of The Last Of Us, this RP would follow a group of survivors as they flee from a collapsing FEDRA controlled East Coast to the West, where they have heard a revolution has brought about a free and independent California from under the thumb of FEDRA.
Genre/s: Post apocalypse, survival, mild horror, adventure.
Character or Faction Based: Character.
Detailed Description: As mentioned above, this RP would follow various survivors as they flee West from the East. This would take place in the same universe as The Last Of Us, though would not touch on anything related to the main plot of the original game or the second game, though it would take place during the same time period as Part II. The basic plot would take place starting in Pittsburgh, where various groups of survivors from across the East Coast have ended up as they attempt to flee the increasingly violent Firefly revolution to the supposed safe zone out West in California. Just like what we see in The Last Of Us, our characters would all be trapped by the Hunters, and little by little trickle into one another as they fleet the city. From there, we would embark on a cross country, post apocalyptic road trip to make our way west. Through this journey, we as the characters would meet enemies and friends, come into both safe and dangerous settlements, and dodge their way through the competing factions as what was once the United States crumbles in on itself as various rebel factions pick it apart from the inside out.

Need Help With: Fleshing out the plot, garnering interest, and planning a good post apocalyptic road trip out West.

Proud member of the Federation Of Isles.

The Lamplighter will return in times of Blight.
When you are lost in darkness, search for the light.

"The crown and whales will always provide."

Emperor Tyrus Willun The Conqueror.

Theyra
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 29, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Theyra » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST
RP's Overarching Concept: Taking place in the universe of The Last Of Us, this RP would follow a group of survivors as they flee from a collapsing FEDRA controlled East Coast to the West, where they have heard a revolution has brought about a free and independent California from under the thumb of FEDRA.
Detailed Description: As mentioned above, this RP would follow various survivors as they flee West from the East. This would take place in the same universe as The Last Of Us, though would not touch on anything related to the main plot of the original game or the second game, though it would take place during the same time period as Part II. The basic plot would take place starting in Pittsburgh, where various groups of survivors from across the East Coast have ended up as they attempt to flee the increasingly violent Firefly revolution to the supposed safe zone out West in California. Just like what we see in The Last Of Us, our characters would all be trapped by the Hunters, and little by little trickle into one another as they fleet the city. From there, we would embark on a cross country, post apocalyptic road trip to make our way west. Through this journey, we as the characters would meet enemies and friends, come into both safe and dangerous settlements, and dodge their way through the competing factions as what was once the United States crumbles in on itself as various rebel factions pick it apart from the inside out.

Need Help With: Fleshing out the plot, garnering interest, and planning a good post apocalyptic road trip out West.

I do like the Last of Us and I would be open to help you work out the plot and the road trip.

The Twelve Isles
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Twelve Isles » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Theyra wrote:
The Twelve Isles wrote:RP INTEREST AND FEEDBACK REQUEST

I do like the Last of Us and I would be open to help you work out the plot and the road trip.

Great, Im glad to hear it!

Ill shoot a TG your way with more information about what Im thinking of having happen.
Proud member of the Federation Of Isles.

The Lamplighter will return in times of Blight.
When you are lost in darkness, search for the light.

"The crown and whales will always provide."

Emperor Tyrus Willun The Conqueror.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Anyone willing to write some Star Trek: The Original Series Role Playing guides?

I've done a character creation guide, and one NPC guide (that I'm having to refine)- but I'd like some guides for Security, Engineers, Medical- for character roles.

Though any interest is welcomed in regard to these guides so the subject could be different.

Edit: Ok, maybe this will help get one's attention. My work thus far.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Flarbinia
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Flarbinia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:00 pm

I am planning an alternate history RP. Should it take place during WWI, WWII, or the Cold War?

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:08 pm

Flarbinia wrote:I am planning an alternate history RP. Should it take place during WWI, WWII, or the Cold War?

I would recommend not the Cold War - folks are better with ideas if they have flexibility without risking an imminent nuking.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse