NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown- It's Over!... For Now

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will the government shutdown in three weeks?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes : 134

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:53 am

Purpelia wrote:God dam it americans just give the man his wall. Geez.

Appeasement is a terrible idea with egomaniacs. Not trying to Godwin here, but that philosphy was used with Germany and Hitler in the 30's and ut only led to more outrageous demands. I am not saying that this will turn Trumo into literal Hitler, but rather that appeasing egomaniacs doesn't work. $5.7 billion for a tiny bit of wall today, of which he didn't even provide construction plans for, could easily lead to this shit happening later this year again over an even larger sum of money. For pity's sake, we don't even know how he actually plans to use the money in any sort of exact sense aside from "build a small part of the wall".

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:57 am

Seangoli wrote:
Purpelia wrote:God dam it americans just give the man his wall. Geez.

Appeasement is a terrible idea with egomaniacs. Not trying to Godwin here, but that philosphy was used with Germany and Hitler in the 30's and ut only led to more outrageous demands. I am not saying that this will turn Trumo into literal Hitler, but rather that appeasing egomaniacs doesn't work. $5.7 billion for a tiny bit of wall today, of which he didn't even provide construction plans for, could easily lead to this shit happening later this year again over an even larger sum of money. For pity's sake, we don't even know how he actually plans to use the money in any sort of exact sense aside from "build a small part of the wall".

And not getting paid for a month is a terribly bad plan for government officials that include the military. It was tried time and again with the Romans and look how that turned out.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 am

Purpelia wrote:
Seangoli wrote:

And not getting paid for a month is a terribly bad plan for government officials that include the military. It was tried time and again with the Romans and look how that turned out.

it appears that Trump has successfully demonstrated that Democratic politicians care more about opposing him then in making sure government workers get paid

this should have interesting ramifications for the next election

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:05 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And not getting paid for a month is a terribly bad plan for government officials that include the military. It was tried time and again with the Romans and look how that turned out.

it appears that Trump has successfully demonstrated that Democratic politicians care more about opposing him then in making sure government workers get paid

Democrats AND Republicans.
Remember, the shutdown started when republicans had a majority.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:it appears that Trump has successfully demonstrated that Democratic politicians care more about opposing him then in making sure government workers get paid

And the american republic in general.

Really the whole situation in the western world recent years reminds me eerily of the late Roman republic. The democracy is failing its people. Elites are pursuing their own insane moralisms whilst the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. So they turn to populists which in turn are hated and reviled by the elites.

The scary thing is if Orban, Trump and their like are your Gracchus who is going to be your Cesar. In my lifetime we will probably find out.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:07 am

Purpelia wrote:
Seangoli wrote:

Military is still getting paid
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:And not getting paid for a month is a terribly bad plan for government officials that include the military. It was tried time and again with the Romans and look how that turned out.

Military is still getting paid

That's actually a relief. It's good to know that the worlds largest machine of pointless evil and murder that can flatten nations at a whim is not completely off its leash.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:09 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Actually things are looking worse for republicans than democrats. Especially since ya know democrats didn’t start it republicans did.

Plus Trump is about to crack under pressure anyways.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:10 am

Purpelia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Military is still getting paid

That's actually a relief. It's good to know that the worlds largest machine of pointless evil and murder that can flatten nations at a whim is not completely off its leash.

As long as the shutdown doesn’t last until September 1st of this year the military will be fine. Because at that point the military becomes unpaid
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:10 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:

Which is why the Democrats are the ones who keep trying to get bills passed to get the government funded and everyone paid, and the Republicans are the ones that keep blocking those bills.

But tell me more about how it's the Democrats who don't want people to get paid.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:10 am

Purpelia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Military is still getting paid

Calm your raging ultrapacificism there buddy boy, the army ain't evil.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 am

Vassenor wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Which is why the Democrats are the ones who keep trying to get bills passed to get the government funded and everyone paid, and the Republicans are the ones that keep blocking those bills.

But tell me more about how it's the Democrats who don't want people to get paid.

They aren't trying unless they give him the wall. Trying would mean giving him the wall and asking for something in return.
You aren't compromising unless you give the other side what they want as well.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:12 am

Purpelia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

They aren't trying unless they give him the wall. Trying would mean giving him the wall and asking for something in return.

Giving the other side everything that they want is capitulation, not compromise.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 am

Purpelia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Actually they did. They proposed giving Trump the wall in return for protections for illegals brought to the US as minors. Trump refused it.

So the democrats said fuck compromise.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:16 am

Vassenor wrote:
Purpelia wrote:They aren't trying unless they give him the wall. Trying would mean giving him the wall and asking for something in return.

Giving the other side everything that they want is capitulation, not compromise.

Not if you also ask for everything you want in return. Than it's called good business.

Thermodolia wrote:Actually they did. They proposed giving Trump the wall in return for protections for illegals brought to the US as minors. Trump refused it.

But that is a completely unreasonable demand as it would undermine the entire purpose for building the wall. It's not compromise if someone asks for some food and you offer him food laced with rat poison.
Last edited by Purpelia on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:16 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:

Actually things are looking worse for republicans than democrats. Especially since ya know democrats didn’t start it republicans did.

A surprising number of Republicans seem to not know that.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:17 am

Purpelia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Not if you also ask for everything you want in return. Than it's called good business.

Which they did, and Trump said "No, ONLY I can get what I want".

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:19 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Not if you also ask for everything you want in return. Than it's called good business.

Which they did, and Trump said "No, ONLY I can get what I want".

Did your democrats ask for reasonable things that do not directly oppose his primary mandate as an anti invader politician?

Like say health care or tax reform? Gun legislation? Civil liberties? You know, the things your country actually needs as opposed to being shut down and accepting hordes of foreigners?

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:19 am

Thermodolia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:They aren't trying unless they give him the wall. Trying would mean giving him the wall and asking for something in return.

Actually they did. They proposed giving Trump the wall in return for protections for illegals brought to the US as minors. Trump refused it.

Protection of illegal immigrants? Seriously?

THAT was their compromise?

Unless they were already in the governmental process of becoming a permanent resident or citizen, I wouldn't exactly agree to that.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:20 am

Purpelia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Which they did, and Trump said "No, ONLY I can get what I want".

Did your democrats ask for reasonable things that do not directly oppose his primary mandate as an anti invader politician?

Like say health care or tax reform? Gun legislation? Civil liberties? You know, the things your country actually needs as opposed to being shut down and accepting hordes of foreigners?

More money for the coast guard and homeland security ?

Yes. Yes they did.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:21 am

Purpelia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Which they did, and Trump said "No, ONLY I can get what I want".

More money for non-wall border security has been all the bills they've tried to pass.

Also, >invaders

...that's a mighty fine dog whistle you've got there.
Last edited by Vassenor on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:21 am

Purpelia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Thermodolia wrote:Actually they did. They proposed giving Trump the wall in return for protections for illegals brought to the US as minors. Trump refused it.

But that is a completely unreasonable demand as it would undermine the entire purpose for building the wall. It's not compromise if someone asks for some food and you offer him food laced with rat poison.

Not really considering that we had laws protecting those who where brought here to the US as kids. Here in the US we believe that kids don’t have the ability to understand what they did was wrong so we don’t count those who where brought here illegally as kids as breaking the law.

Hell the democrats even offered a watered down compromise that pretty much just asked Trump to not fuck over the Dreamers. The republicans refused that one too
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Did your democrats ask for reasonable things that do not directly oppose his primary mandate as an anti invader politician?

More money for the coast guard and homeland security ?

Yes. Yes they did.

But they also asked for protection for invaders in the same package. Anything packaged with that is just unacceptable poison and they know it.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:23 am

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:

Protection of illegal immigrants? Seriously?

THAT was their compromise?

Unless they were already in the governmental process of becoming a permanent resident or citizen, I wouldn't exactly agree to that.

Protection of illegals brought here when they where kids. Part of the Obama era law was that they had to be working towards citizenship/permanent residency. The republicans got rid of it.

Personally I’m not for punishing kids for their parents mistakes.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:25 am

Purpelia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:More money for the coast guard and homeland security ?

Yes. Yes they did.

But they also asked for protection for invaders in the same package. Anything packaged with that is just unacceptable poison and they know it.

Kids brought across the border between 2008-2017 aren’t invaders. Actually no immigrant legal or otherwise is an invader
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General