NATION

PASSWORD

US Government Shutdown- It's Over!... For Now

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Will the government shutdown in three weeks?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes : 134

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:00 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:That’s exactly what’s happening. Letting him make this mistake.

Chernoslavia wrote:Can, literally nobody is going out rioting on the streets and no one is dying from hunger or food poisoning as a result of the government shutdown. Is the shutdown bad? Yes, but it’s not the end of the world. It mostly affects the federal workers who I can really care less about considering that a many of them are non essential and are under worked but overpaid. And shutdowns have never had a significant impact on the economy and any minor impact that it would have is expected to revert back to normal after the shutdown is over.

Others like who? Businesses really do not have to rely on federal workers. Land lords for example won’t suffer, as they can just find other tenants that will pay rent. In fact it is private businesses like Whole Foods that are volunteering their time and resources to help make sure that federal workers are fed. And as for the FDA? Private companies would’ve just continued to go much further than government regulations on food inspection like they always have, and FDA workers have returned to work again anyways. As for farms not being able to produce goods? That’s a lie. Most farms don’t get subsidies anyways and yet there is no food shortage going on. And even if the TSA continues not to work, private contractors will just pick up on where they left and do a better job, so calm the fuck down.

I’d really wish we’d put just as much energy worrying about our national debt.

A responsible adult doesn’t let 50 dollars burn away just so their kid doesn’t get a two dollar toy.

Callous disregard for fellow citizens noted.

It's almost like it's a common theme amongst people who don't care about the shut down or something...
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 pm

New haven america wrote:

It's almost like it's a common theme amongst people who don't care about the shut down or something...

Hmmm. Probably attention seeking. Look at me I am edgy!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

WhatsamattaU
Minister

Founded: Aug 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby WhatsamattaU » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:03 pm

The South Falls wrote:
WhatsamattaU wrote:Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi, is claiming that President Trump leaked news of her traveling to Afghanistan before he stopped her from using a military jet for the trip. I don't believe it, because if it was leaked then the President wouldn't have stopped her.

Any evidence it was known beforehand?

According to the Washington Post, Nancy is claiming that the President's public announcement of his denying her the use of the military jet constituted "leaking".

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:14 pm

WhatsamattaU wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Any evidence it was known beforehand?

According to the Washington Post, Nancy is claiming that the President's public announcement of his denying her the use of the military jet constituted "leaking".

And nobody knew before. It was supposed to be secret.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:18 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:That’s exactly what’s happening. Letting him make this mistake.

Chernoslavia wrote:Can, literally nobody is going out rioting on the streets and no one is dying from hunger or food poisoning as a result of the government shutdown. Is the shutdown bad? Yes, but it’s not the end of the world. It mostly affects the federal workers who I can really care less about considering that a many of them are non essential and are under worked but overpaid. And shutdowns have never had a significant impact on the economy and any minor impact that it would have is expected to revert back to normal after the shutdown is over.

Others like who? Businesses really do not have to rely on federal workers. Land lords for example won’t suffer, as they can just find other tenants that will pay rent. In fact it is private businesses like Whole Foods that are volunteering their time and resources to help make sure that federal workers are fed. And as for the FDA? Private companies would’ve just continued to go much further than government regulations on food inspection like they always have, and FDA workers have returned to work again anyways. As for farms not being able to produce goods? That’s a lie. Most farms don’t get subsidies anyways and yet there is no food shortage going on. And even if the TSA continues not to work, private contractors will just pick up on where they left and do a better job, so calm the fuck down.

I’d really wish we’d put just as much energy worrying about our national debt.

A responsible adult doesn’t let 50 dollars burn away just so their kid doesn’t get a two dollar toy.

All I’m saying is that the shutdown isn’t as much of a big deal as the left is trying to make it out to be. But you know what Can? You can always get off your ass and join Whole Foods in helping out the federal workers, but no...it’s much easier just to call your opponent immoral in an attempt to achieve the moral high ground.
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

All I’m saying is that the shutdown isn’t as much of a big deal as the left is trying to make it out to be. But you know what Can? You can always get off your ass and join Whole Foods in helping out the federal workers, but no...it’s much easier just to call your opponent immoral in an attempt to achieve the moral high ground.

Most people use Ctoan.

Also, remember kids, until Humungus rolls up to your house and asks you to just walk away, the shutdown is meaningless.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Xmara
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 31, 2014

Postby Xmara » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:26 pm

I know I'm late, but...

Notovasian Tsardom wrote:As a British person, this is both hilarious, and concerning. I look forward to seeing a resolution happen in the near future.

It's been one big circus since the day Trump announced he was running for president in 2015. I tell you this shutdown is completely unprecedented unpresidented. We've had nonstop media coverage covfefe with this. I'm just gonna sit back, eat a hamburger hamberder, and watch the show.
/ˈzmaːrʌ/
Info
Our Leader
Status- Code Green- All clear
I mostly use NS stats, except for population and tax rates.
We are not Estonia.
A 16.8 civilization, according to this index.
Flag Waver

Support
Ukraine

Chernoslavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernoslavia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

Most people use Ctoan.

Also, remember kids, until Humungus rolls up to your house and asks you to just walk away, the shutdown is meaningless.

Yeah okay, can. :roll:
What would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive? Or if during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? The Organs would quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

People can't pay bills beacuse trump wants a fucking wall.

Thats a big thing.

The Greater Ohio Valley
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 19, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Greater Ohio Valley » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Occasionally the Neo-American States
"Choke on the ashes of your hate."
- Free speech
- Weapons rights
- Democracy
- LGBTQ+ rights
- Racial equality
- Gender/sexual equality
- Voting rights
- Universal healthcare
- Workers rights
- Drug decriminalization
- Cannabis legalization
- Due process
- Rehabilitative justice
- Religious freedom
- Choice
- Environmental protections
- Secularism
ANTI
- Fascism/Nazism
- Conservatism
- Nationalism
- Authoritarianism/Totalitarianism
- Traditionalism
- Ethnic/racial supremacy
- Racism
- Sexism
- Transphobia
- Homophobia
- Religious extremism
- Laissez-faire capitalism
- Warmongering
- Accelerationism
- Isolationism
- Theocracy
- Anti-intellectualism
- Climate change denialism

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 pm

I wonder if the Dems will acknowledge Trump's offer or refuse it from the second he proposes it without looking at it.

Hopefully the former.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

It will progressively get worse, and the effects of the shutdown will eventually (if slowly) start to creep into every day life. Its only been a month. Not much cam happen 8n a month. If it goes onnfor too long, we will start to see more ill effects.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:03 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

It will progressively get worse, and the effects of the shutdown will eventually (if slowly) start to creep into every day life. Its only been a month. Not much cam happen 8n a month. If it goes onnfor too long, we will start to see more ill effects.

Liek the breakdown of typing skeels ... ;)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

The state, society and Western civilization as a whole hasn't collapsed on Day 1, so clearly it must mean that anarchist-libertarian ideals ARE 100% GOODZ!

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:04 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Seangoli wrote:

Liek the breakdown of typing skeels ... ;)

I may have a small phone, but I have YUUUGE hands.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:06 pm

Seangoli wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Liek the breakdown of typing skeels ... ;)

I may have a small phone, but I have YUUUGE hands.

Honestly, I thought it was the perfect conclusion to that post.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

I consider Air Traffic Controllers, federal law enforcement, food and drug inspectors, judges, fraud investigators, etc going unpaid is a big deal. Yes they are still working, but they are working for no pay. Of they stopped working our economy would crash. How long will they work without pay?

The full effects of the shutdown haven't even hit yet and it is getting bad if you know where to look.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:59 pm

Chernoslavia wrote:

How about start-up businesses or companies that moved their workshop that cannot start operating because there is noone to issue the required permits ?
Will you help out their employees and owners as well ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:07 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

How about start-up businesses or companies that moved their workshop that cannot start operating because there is noone to issue the required permits ?

Most permits are local govnerment thankfully. There are federal mineral extraction permits (mostly oil and uranium) but those are not what I would call a start up.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Greed and Death wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:How about start-up businesses or companies that moved their workshop that cannot start operating because there is noone to issue the required permits ?

Most permits are local govnerment thankfully. There are federal mineral extraction permits (mostly oil and uranium) but those are not what I would call a start up.

If it involves alcohol it is federal though. They need a permit from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.
So.. no more new brewers. Thanks Trump.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Greed and Death wrote:Most permits are local govnerment thankfully. There are federal mineral extraction permits (mostly oil and uranium) but those are not what I would call a start up.

If it involves alcohol it is federal though. They need a permit from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau.

You also have to renew said license every year too
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 am

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Chernoslavia wrote:

People can't pay bills beacuse trump wants a fucking wall.

No, FOXnews wants a wall. Trump could not care less or else he would have made plans for it during the first years of his reign when he still ruled supreme.

Thermodolia wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

You also have to renew said license every year too

So if the shutdown lasts for months beer will start getting scarce. No more brewers, no more bottlers, no more imports.
Fear the beer, Trump. Fear the beer :P
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:02 am

God dam it americans just give the man his wall. Geez.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:08 am

Purpelia wrote:God dam it americans just give the man his wall. Geez.

They have already given Trump a piece of paper and some crayons to sketch what he actually has in mind; but sofar it remains empty.
Cannot give him if he does not explain what he wants.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:30 am

Purpelia wrote:God dam it americans just give the man his wall. Geez.

Hey it’s not our fault that the idiot couldn’t get the wall when his party controlled all branches of government
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General