NATION

PASSWORD

Court of Blood [OOC/Vampire/Historical]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:13 am

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:
Endem wrote:I have a little question, do Children of Abraham have a code or something to know if that vampire they are talking to is one of them or not

They have a hand symbol that they use to symbol their position. It's a bit of an open secret, so you better only do it in company you trust

How does this symbol look like.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune
Senator

Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

Endem wrote:
They have a hand symbol that they use to symbol their position. It's a bit of an open secret, so you better only do it in company you trust

How does this symbol look like.

I'll leave that up to the people who want to be in it. The source isn't very clear except that it's fairly complex.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:45 am

The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:-snip-....Just some last note and you'll be good to go. The comparison to the East India Company still bugs me a bit, even a company close to as powerful as the EIC would still be an absolutely massive corporation. By this point the EIC was basically a small country with a private army. Second of all, someone involved in the slave trade would much more likely be based in the south, like in Charleston, or if they were in the north they would be most likely in Providence and not Boston. Make those edits and you should be good. Limburgh is accepted.

I think I've made the value of the company quite clear: Owns factories and uses the slave trade to support them. It uses the slave trade as a supplement for workers when workers are too unskilled to be worth their money/are generally too expensive to cover their upkeep. They're mostly used in the American branch of the company, as slavery hadn't been abolished in the North yet. McGrovester has no interest in plantations, as he prefers to manage industry due to its efficiency. The American branch is headquartered in Boston, hence why he's there.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Senator

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:12 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune wrote:-snip-....Just some last note and you'll be good to go. The comparison to the East India Company still bugs me a bit, even a company close to as powerful as the EIC would still be an absolutely massive corporation. By this point the EIC was basically a small country with a private army. Second of all, someone involved in the slave trade would much more likely be based in the south, like in Charleston, or if they were in the north they would be most likely in Providence and not Boston. Make those edits and you should be good. Limburgh is accepted.

I think I've made the value of the company quite clear: Owns factories and uses the slave trade to support them. It uses the slave trade as a supplement for workers when workers are too unskilled to be worth their money/are generally too expensive to cover their upkeep. They're mostly used in the American branch of the company, as slavery hadn't been abolished in the North yet. McGrovester has no interest in plantations, as he prefers to manage industry due to its efficiency. The American branch is headquartered in Boston, hence why he's there.

Slavery was not yet abolished but was out of fashion in New England and would be abolished in Massachusetts within 20 years. His company would be immensly unpopular, and he would have a very tough time purchasing new slaves for his factories. Factories themselves even exist in America at this point. The Industrial Revolution barely started in Britain at this point, and the first American factories won't exist for another 30 years. And no, you haven't made your companys value quite clear, you've said they aren't as rich as the EIC, which is like saying any given company isn't as rich as Apple today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:37 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:I think I've made the value of the company quite clear: Owns factories and uses the slave trade to support them. It uses the slave trade as a supplement for workers when workers are too unskilled to be worth their money/are generally too expensive to cover their upkeep. They're mostly used in the American branch of the company, as slavery hadn't been abolished in the North yet. McGrovester has no interest in plantations, as he prefers to manage industry due to its efficiency. The American branch is headquartered in Boston, hence why he's there.

Slavery was not yet abolished but was out of fashion in New England and would be abolished in Massachusetts within 20 years. His company would be immensly unpopular, and he would have a very tough time purchasing new slaves for his factories. Factories themselves even exist in America at this point. The Industrial Revolution barely started in Britain at this point, and the first American factories won't exist for another 30 years. And no, you haven't made your companys value quite clear, you've said they aren't as rich as the EIC, which is like saying any given company isn't as rich as Apple today.

Alright, fine. I'll make it a bit different. The company itself is worth £200,000, or £22.3 million today in America, and £3.59 million or £418 million today, albeit it is growing extremely fast, especially in London. He's slowly bringing more factories to London and is planning to build 5 in America within the next 20 or so years. His business in America is mostly workshops in the North and small plantations in the South. It also has a large fleet of ships in the Atlantic, set to dominate the Transatlantic Slave Trade within years.

EDIT: Also, by the East India Company I meant the British one, not the Dutch one.
Last edited by The World Capitalist Confederation on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Senator

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:51 am

Alright, fine. I'll make it a bit different. The company itself is worth £200,000, or £22.3 million today in America, and £3.59 million or £418 million today, albeit it is growing extremely fast, especially in London. He's slowly bringing more factories to London and is planning to build 5 in America within the next 20 or so years. His business in America is mostly workshops in the North and small plantations in the South. It also has a large fleet of ships in the Atlantic, set to dominate the Transatlantic Slave Trade within years.

So yes, like I initially said, that is far, far too big. Any company of that size at this time would have to be under a Crown Charter and have numerous, numerous connections with Mortals, to the scale of a large scale violation of the Rule of restraint. The first "true" factory in England, like what you are probably thinking of, won't pop up for six more years, unless said factories were Brass Mills which would still be too small of an industry for a company of that size. On the topic of the Slave Trade, if he was concerned with cornering that market, he would be operating out of the Carribean, where the vast majority of British slavers would operate out of until the invention of the Cotton Gin.

A good example of a Vampire run business is like the one my character handles, a small shipping company that operates maybe two ships in a warehouse, a singular plantation, maybe a printing company, small time business like that.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:19 pm

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:Alright, fine. I'll make it a bit different. The company itself is worth £200,000, or £22.3 million today in America, and £3.59 million or £418 million today, albeit it is growing extremely fast, especially in London. He's slowly bringing more factories to London and is planning to build 5 in America within the next 20 or so years. His business in America is mostly workshops in the North and small plantations in the South. It also has a large fleet of ships in the Atlantic, set to dominate the Transatlantic Slave Trade within years.

So yes, like I initially said, that is far, far too big. Any company of that size at this time would have to be under a Crown Charter and have numerous, numerous connections with Mortals, to the scale of a large scale violation of the Rule of restraint. The first "true" factory in England, like what you are probably thinking of, won't pop up for six more years, unless said factories were Brass Mills which would still be too small of an industry for a company of that size. On the topic of the Slave Trade, if he was concerned with cornering that market, he would be operating out of the Carribean, where the vast majority of British slavers would operate out of until the invention of the Cotton Gin.

A good example of a Vampire run business is like the one my character handles, a small shipping company that operates maybe two ships in a warehouse, a singular plantation, maybe a printing company, small time business like that.

So is it fine if I make the company a sort of Transatlantic Cartel that runs several plantations in the South. Not too much, maybe about the size of New York City worth of plantations.
Please Watch

Senator

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm

So is it fine if I make the company a sort of Transatlantic Cartel that runs several plantations in the South. Not too much, maybe about the size of New York City worth of plantations.

First of all, that's way, way too much land. Plantations ranged from about 500-1000 acres according to Wiki. Assuming that all of the plantations were on the smaller side, that's around 386 or so plantations. So even without I don't see why you wouldn't just run one large plantation. One large plot of land would draw much less suspicion than a company owning several smaller ones for some reason. On top of that, there's still no logical reason for McGrovester to be in Boston to run his business in that case, because that's a good 3-4 days travel assuming that these plantations are in Virginia. Which, if McGrovester was early in the plantation game, wouldn't be likely because he would have huge gifts of prophecy for that to happen. Cash farming in the south didn't really take off until the invention of the Cotton Gin. If he purely interested in the money standpoint, which at least from my reading his app, you implied as such, then he would have probably gotten involved with the far more profitable Caribbean sugar trade, which would put his main operations even farther from Boston.

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:07 am

I wonder how many characters we need to start the IC... I just realised

Is the IC on discord?

live thread, LIVE, LIVE!
Last edited by Endem on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

Senator

Postby The Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:33 am

Endem wrote:I wonder how many characters we need to start the IC... I just realised

Is the IC on discord?

live thread, LIVE, LIVE!

No, we just have only two really invested players and one of them still hasn't worked out all the bugs in their app.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:42 am

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:So is it fine if I make the company a sort of Transatlantic Cartel that runs several plantations in the South. Not too much, maybe about the size of New York City worth of plantations.

First of all, that's way, way too much land. Plantations ranged from about 500-1000 acres according to Wiki. Assuming that all of the plantations were on the smaller side, that's around 386 or so plantations. So even without I don't see why you wouldn't just run one large plantation. One large plot of land would draw much less suspicion than a company owning several smaller ones for some reason. On top of that, there's still no logical reason for McGrovester to be in Boston to run his business in that case, because that's a good 3-4 days travel assuming that these plantations are in Virginia. Which, if McGrovester was early in the plantation game, wouldn't be likely because he would have huge gifts of prophecy for that to happen. Cash farming in the south didn't really take off until the invention of the Cotton Gin. If he purely interested in the money standpoint, which at least from my reading his app, you implied as such, then he would have probably gotten involved with the far more profitable Caribbean sugar trade, which would put his main operations even farther from Boston.

In that case, I'll just run a Caribbean sugar company which owns a large Cuban plantation at about 10,000 acres, being a major holder of Carribean land. He has several contacts in Africa and Europe to conduct his trade, having a large fleet of ships to conduct business across several Transatlantic routes. However, to not violate the rule of Reserve, he keeps his contacts either vampires or those who serve vampires, in order to prevent being discovered. He's currently in Boston to study new opportunities for business, and generally have an expedition of sorts, attempting to find what'll help his business in the long run, studying different methods of business, learning from the artisans and shopkeepers of Boston, perhaps seeing its prosperity and getting some ideas to help his business. This leg of the journey in Boston is part of a larger trip to travel around the world, including central Europe and India, in order to make him richer than he already is.
Please Watch

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse