NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Sahansahiye Iran
Minister
 
Posts: 2386
Founded: May 14, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sahansahiye Iran » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:
Erythrean Thebes wrote:As I think, Jesus having been born into sin was a major reason why his subsequent life, teaching, and sacrifice was viewed as an impressive achievement and an act of heroism among the Jews. For the angel of the Lord said, in the Gospels of Matthew, "he shall save his people from their sins."

We, as Orthodox Christians, don't believe that we're born in sim

Well, that's not true.
User formerly known as United Islamic Commonwealth and al-Ismailiyya.
Also known as Khosrow, Zarhust, or Lanian Empire.
Praetorian Prefect of EMN
Senator of EMN
Legatus of the Marian Legion
Integrator of EMN
A GCR Supreme General of the Contrarians
Iranian civic/cultural nationalist
Monarchist
Zoroastrian

User avatar
Dogmeat
Minister
 
Posts: 2262
Founded: Apr 01, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Dogmeat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

I don't "refuse" to believe in a god. I'm more then willing to accept the existence of any that care to make themselves known.

Your position isn't like belief in the possibility of alien life, it's more like believing in Klingons. Just Klingons. And saying that no other aliens besides Klingons exist.
Last edited by Dogmeat on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Immortal God Dog
Hey boy, know any tricks?
天狗

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16788
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


Why,obviously aliens exist and they are exactly as portrayed in star wars.

If you ask why it is obvious I will offer long and often nonsensical arguments on why not believing in aliens in general is silly, sometimes laced with canonquotes like "I find your lack of faith ... disturbing". If you ask why Star Wars and not any of the other mainseries like Trek, Babylon 5, Stargate etc or parodies like the Orville or even a more scientific approach - I will simply ignore your question or vaguely answer that those are "unsatisying' or "unconvincing", never going into detail, and then quickly return to bashing nonbelief in general aliens and pretending science supports the existing of light sabers perfectly by citing a few obscure scientists in an entirely different field than physics who nevertheless share my beliefs and have a title, so I might impress the gullible listener.

Now, may the force be with you, my son.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

User avatar
Neutraligon
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 31971
Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

Refuse to believe in god is inaccurate, I have yet to see any evidence for a god and so do not believe. As far as aliens go, there is also no evidence of aliens, but there is evidence that life exists within the universe (namely life on this planet) so it is entirely believable that somewhere out there there was or is life. A timeless, spaceless, bodyless being...well there is no evidence that such a thing could exist.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 637
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


As I tell my students whenever they bring up that exact question:

“Well, Trump’s grousing about needing a wall to keep SOMETHING out...”
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
Page
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9958
Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:02 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


I do not believe that UFO's are aliens or that there are aliens at Area 51 or that abductions happen or any of that.

But I do consider it to be very likely that other intelligent life has developed somewhere within our observable universe. I consider the existence of aliens to be significantly more probable than the existence of a god, because intelligent life developing on a planet is a thing we know has happened at least once.
I am a libertarian socialist.
I am ungovernable.
I owe no allegiance to any state.
I am bound to my conscience, not to the law.
I stand for liberty, justice, and peace.

User avatar
Salandriagado
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18388
Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


Statistically likely to exist, but I'm not committing myself one way or the other until there's more evidence.

Overall: probably exist, probably no major technological civilisations in our galaxy.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

User avatar
Alvecia
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18298
Founded: Aug 17, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alvecia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:21 am

There's more evidence that life exists elsewhere in the universe because we know life exists in the universe, which is already more evidence than there is for any god.
So at the very least, it's possible.
British
Atheist
IT Support
That there is no exception to the rule "There is an exception to every rule" is the exception that proves the rule.
---
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll stop asking you to catch his fish.
That's not happening
That shouldn't be happening
Why is that happening?
That's why it's happening?
How has this ever worked?

User avatar
Andsed
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6115
Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Andsed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:00 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

I think it is possible they exist as we know that intelligent life exist in the universe in the form of us and that there are many planets with earth like conditions.
Hello I am Andsed welcome to my sig.


Amazing Andsed quotes:
Ok lets get back on topic so we don´t get this thread locked thanks to talking about my church windmill dancing.
Andsed is not legally responsible for any injuries that may occur if you take this seriously and somehow get a trebuchet and try to fling yourself into a plane. You fucking dumbass
NationStates going from serious debates about homosexuality to jokes about Jesus a marijuana dealer in the span of one to two posts since November 13 2002.
Sorry my mind is always in the gutter no it lives in gutter my mind is fuckin called pennywise it is in the gutter so much.
How does one outsource racism? Do you like get an Indian guy to call people and call them racial slurs?

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

User avatar
Thuzbekistan
Minister
 
Posts: 2176
Founded: Dec 29, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Thuzbekistan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:33 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

I dont know? The universe is vast, there could be a possibility. I mean, if microscopic life is discovered out there, that would lead me to believe that there could be another sentient race or maybe just a planet with life like ours, but I wouldnt make any positive or negative claims about such things.

To answer what you really want answered: even if I said yes, aliens probably exist somewhere, that would not be the same as saying an omnipotent God probably exists. We know the process by which we got here even if we dont know exactly how that process began. Armed with this knowledge, we could then assume that this process could take place on any planet similar to our own. God, on the other hand, is not something we have seen happen in the natural world before and, therefore, we cannot assume that one exists based on that.

Edit: wow I didnt realize how late to the punch I was. Perhaps in the future, you wont try to ask a loaded question:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/loaded-question
Last edited by Thuzbekistan on Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of The Western Isles, the Best RP region on NS.
An RP I'm Proud of: Orsandian Civil War
An INTJ, -A/-T

Economic Left/Right: -5.0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.72

User avatar
The New California Republic
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17494
Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:49 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

Contrary to God, there is some tangible evidence that alien life exists in some form; for example the organic compounds that are precursors for life have been found in meteors, indicating that the same organic compounds that gave rise to life on Earth are also present elsewhere in the universe.
Last edited by Friedrich Nietzsche on Thu Jan 03, 1889 13:05 pm, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the complete victory over Caesar's Legion, and the pacification and annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.
Current President of The NCR: Aaron Kimball.
Current NCR Ambassador to The World Assembly: Colonel James Hsu, NCR Army (Ret.)
.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

User avatar
Adad Civilization
Envoy
 
Posts: 201
Founded: Jun 08, 2018
Libertarian Police State

Postby Adad Civilization » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 am

Why should I?

There are perhaps billions of gods out there, ranging from deistic deities to the all-controlling force of Buddhism, to the all-knowing, all-loving, all-powerful Yahweh, to whatever god some aliens possibly worship.

There are billions to choose from, and yet they all have the same amount of evidence, along with the contrary. So, really, why should I believe in this one god or this one particular set of gods when or the lack thereof when all the evidence points to "We don't f**king know"?
IC Year: 5278 BCE
Were NSstats even invented yet in 5000 BC? (Plus it made me a left-leaning college state because I allowed free press so... #### them)
Inspired by Haja-Mishu (but I am not a puppet of him) and Mesopotamian Kingdoms of the early bronze age
Pro: Nothing, Anti: Nothing, Neutral Opinion: Political Apathy.
Proud member of the >50K gang | My Q&A

User avatar
Cekoviu
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10154
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:55 pm

Vaeruio wrote:I am an Christian, specifically LDS. Though I won't speak of why I believe, as I am bad at explaining things. Anyways I am going to take a neutral stance in this discussion, as it could either way god could be real or he could be fake. Maybe I'll break that neutrality and try and answer some questions but I don't know, anyways bye.

You do realise that it's now inappropriate to say "I'm LDS", you have to say "I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." Apostate.
\begin{center}
NationStates should support \LaTeX
\end{center}
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Vaeruio
Secretary
 
Posts: 34
Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Vaeruio » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Vaeruio wrote:I am an Christian, specifically LDS. Though I won't speak of why I believe, as I am bad at explaining things. Anyways I am going to take a neutral stance in this discussion, as it could either way god could be real or he could be fake. Maybe I'll break that neutrality and try and answer some questions but I don't know, anyways bye.

You do realise that it's now inappropriate to say "I'm LDS", you have to say "I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints." Apostate.
Yes, I was in a hurry so I didn't have time, though even despite that people still say Mormon or LDS, even members.
Vaeruio is a large pacifistic, socialist, monarchist nation, on the planet of Uhgryugy (Uh-gr-yu-gy-).

I am LDS, and me being LDS has had a huge impact on my political views. I live somewhere in North America


Random things. I am a pacifist yet I am in the regional armada of TRI, hmmm

User avatar
Estanglia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1996
Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Anarchy

Postby Estanglia » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:04 pm

Personally, I don't believe in a God a religion claims to exist because:
1) There is no evidence of it
2) There are so many. Why is one specific God the correct one and not any other God?

I do, however, believe in something you could call a God. I consider it to be responsible for the universe's existence and its properties. Whether this 'God' is a separate entity or the universe itself I cannot tell you, nor can I prove its existence.
Yeah: Most of capitalism, some of socialism, egalitarianism, equality
Meh: Brexit, the EU, the UN
Nah: Some of capitalism, most of socialism, discrimination, justifying discrimination, authoritarianism

Political compass test:
Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.9

8 Values.


Torrocca wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
That cocaine must be pretty strong to cause a hatred of the Untermensch.


"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"

User avatar
Ausinia
Diplomat
 
Posts: 802
Founded: Jul 20, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ausinia » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 am

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

My stance? I believe in the facts more then feelings, so I believe that Aliens are just as likely as humans, and may be very similar is personality. Oppressive, cheatful, back-stabbing and lustful, but their will always be a sentient who is loving, kind and understanding. Their looks? They may look similar to humans in some ways as (eventual) evolution will take them. They may have tails, be taller, be as small as an ant. I guess their evolution will depend on how early they were evolved, if before humans, they may be more complex, they may be philosophical or be technocrats. Honestly, I think their just a possible as humans, and just like us in almost every way.
Im currently working on my storefront and factbooks, estimated time of completion: ERROR
This nation does not completely agree with my views
You though I was bothered? No, not yet
Ausinia Weapons & Tech
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH of AUSINIA
You should join SUN| Visit PAS | War with Tongarlia

User avatar
New Legland
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 396
Founded: Apr 21, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby New Legland » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:17 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?

That's a different question altogether. Sure, there isn't any evidence of alien life, but the universe is so vast that it must have happened elsewhere, as it has here. The same can't be said for a god, which isn't really subject to the same reasoning. On top of that, (the vast majority of) people don't believe in any alien, just in the fact that alien life of some sort may be out there. Similarly, I believe a god no society has worshipped yet that simply observes us without interacting with us is much more plausible and believable than any of the thousands of gods we've created.

User avatar
Sacara
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1722
Founded: May 13, 2014
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Sacara » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 pm

There are a couple of reasons for why I have faith in God (as a practicing Roman Catholic):

  • First, if you look at our universe, it's hard for me not to think that is the result of a Creator. There are so many variables that could've been changed by the most minute of fractions and the universe and as a product would not exist.
  • Second, I like Pascal's Wager as an argument. If I believe in a god, and one does exist, it is a positive outcome. If I believe in a god, or if a do not believe in one, and no god exists, nothing happens and I won't live to tell the tale -- thus, a wash. If I don't believe in a god, and one does exist, then it is an infinitely negative outcome. Plus, it's not like religion is hurting my life in any way.
  • Third and finally, without a higher creator, morals are subjective and human rights cannot be justified. I know many atheists who have morals, but those stem from a Judeo-Christian society.
The Blue Republic of Sacara,
I tend to hang out in Got Issues? a lot, with the occasional NSG comment.
Issues That I've Authored (12)

"I see a world full of humans, yet no humanity."

User avatar
The Alma Mater
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 16788
Founded: May 23, 2004
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby The Alma Mater » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Sacara wrote:There are a couple of reasons for why I have faith in God (as a practicing Roman Catholic):

  • First, if you look at our universe, it's hard for me not to think that is the result of a Creator. There are so many variables that could've been changed by the most minute of fractions and the universe and as a product would not exist.


So why Catholicism and not Hinduism or any of the other 398 billion religions ;) ?

Sacara wrote:
  • Second, I like Pascal's Wager as an argument. If I believe in a god, and one does exist, it is a positive outcome. If I believe in a god, or if a do not believe in one, and no god exists, nothing happens and I won't live to tell the tale -- thus, a wash. If I don't believe in a god, and one does exist, then it is an infinitely negative outcome. Plus, it's not like religion is hurting my life in any way.


  • And what did you think of the counterarguments ? They've only been around for a few centuries, so surely you are aware of them ;)
  • Third and finally, without a higher creator, morals are subjective and human rights cannot be justified. I know many atheists who have morals, but those stem from a Judeo-Christian society.


  • Nice way to subtly insult all other religions.
    Last edited by The Alma Mater on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
    It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
    - Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

    User avatar
    Sacara
    Ambassador
     
    Posts: 1722
    Founded: May 13, 2014
    Capitalist Paradise

    Postby Sacara » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 pm

    The Alma Mater wrote:And what did you think of the counterarguments? They've only been around for a few centuries, so surely you are aware of them ;)
    Right, yet I feel like the argument itself outweighs the counterargument.
    The Alma Mater wrote:Nice way to subtly insult all other religions.
    ;)
    The Blue Republic of Sacara,
    I tend to hang out in Got Issues? a lot, with the occasional NSG comment.
    Issues That I've Authored (12)

    "I see a world full of humans, yet no humanity."

    User avatar
    Dogmeat
    Minister
     
    Posts: 2262
    Founded: Apr 01, 2018
    Left-wing Utopia

    Postby Dogmeat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:52 pm

    Sacara wrote:
    The Alma Mater wrote:And what did you think of the counterarguments? They've only been around for a few centuries, so surely you are aware of them ;)
    Right, yet I feel like the argument itself outweighs the counterargument.

    You should have no problem explaining the counterarguments then. Since you're so familiar with them. And explaining how they are insufficient.

    To be blunt: Pascal's Wager is fantastically bad. And no one capable of critical thought should take it seriously.
    Immortal God Dog
    Hey boy, know any tricks?
    天狗

    User avatar
    Ungvarnfjall
    Spokesperson
     
    Posts: 118
    Founded: Sep 03, 2018
    Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

    Postby Ungvarnfjall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 pm

    I am not a Christian, but I do have Gods. I see them less as all-powerful deities of all things that wield otherworldly strength and dictate all in the universe, but more as a spirit or kind of essence of a piece of nature or humanity. For instance, I see my God Freyja as an aspect of sexual and romantic energies like love and attraction; not as a beautiful maiden, but the essence of a beautiful person as well as everything associated with such. I see Tyr as an aspect of the things associated with him; Justice and bloodshed. I see him as the fist used in a fight, and as the paper on which a law is written-among other things, but I have other places to put novel-length ruminations on the Gods.

    As for why I believe in them, it's simply because I choose to. They feel real to me. I know that I sound pretty crazy in saying it, but I feel them in things. I feel Njordr in the sea and wind, and I feel Vidar in the woods and deep silence. I understand it's not for everyone and not everyone feels the way I do, but that's why it's not the only form of faith in the world.
    The Ungvarn Herald:~ Major collapse in Ygsvaak Hold, halting the construction of the second Deep City even further. No confirmed deaths, but massive damage to construction equipment and walls of the 'hellmouth' of the city. ••• Jarkajana has declared war on Sigsor, possibly for the aggressions against their people in the past. ••• Several cities and hundreds of villages have begun the Winter's End festivities. Cities are draped in pink and red flowers and great fires and parades will be seen across the nation until the only snow is on the mountains.
    Current Month: Fojrnheill
    Say NO to NS Stats.
    You'd better hope this nation doesn't represent my views
    Your toes, hand 'em over.
    A 58 civilization, according to this index.

    User avatar
    Bardarus
    Secretary
     
    Posts: 29
    Founded: Jun 25, 2015
    Democratic Socialists

    Postby Bardarus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:40 am

    I believe in God because God is a Father who created the world and everything in in, for example:Have you ever wondered how it is that you exist in this world as a man or a woman and why do you exist as such, we're not on this planet by our own will and strengh but because we have been created as such. And as for the concept of Heaven and Hell i hope you know the Gardnen of Eden story about Adam and Eve, Satan tricked Adam(All of humanity since according to Christianity Adam is the ancestor of all of man and woman that live today) into defiyng God's Words and since Adam did not listen to God that seperated Adam from God just like sin in real life obstructs our communication with God, thus creating a large impassable chasm called Hell whereas Heaven is following Jesus Christ's path to Salvation and accepting his sacrifice on the Cross which is atonement for our sins and wrongful deeds.

    I hope i made my point clear enough for folks to understand because im really bad at making a point online.
    Proud vassal empire of the Imperium of Man since 701.M41

    User avatar
    The Blaatschapen
    Retired Moderator
     
    Posts: 53504
    Founded: Antiquity
    Anarchy

    Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:47 am

    Australian rePublic wrote:So all of you who refuse to believe in God, because of lack of evidence, where do you stand on aliens?


    I believe aliens exist.

    I am one.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(law)
    Forumer mod, now a rocker mocker. Thank you Ringo
    Heaven is other people
    Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect - Mark Twain
    Silent is an anagram of listen.
    Proud adopter of a lamb called violet: http://imgur.com/a/pxnSf
    Male. Please address me as 'he'.
    This is the 8th line. If your sig is longer than mine, it is too long.

    User avatar
    Prusenreich
    Spokesperson
     
    Posts: 120
    Founded: Aug 15, 2018
    Psychotic Dictatorship

    Postby Prusenreich » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:51 am

    I believe in the Norse gods why because of CK2
    Based off a Custom Euiv nation

    PreviousNext

    Advertisement

    Remove ads

    Return to General

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Auze, Betelgeuse Alliance, Ghost Land, Grinning Dragon, Infected Mushroom, Kurakot, Munkcestrian Republic, Rojava Free State, Samudera Darussalam, The Grand Duchy of Muscovy, Zrhajan

    Advertisement

    Remove ads