NATION

PASSWORD

[ACCEPTED] The War of Man and Beast

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

[ACCEPTED] The War of Man and Beast

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

I took note of the sparsity in vegetarian issues, and I know it's been suggested that one could exist that isn't centered strictly around your citizens eating meat.
Idk if this quite fits the bill, but hopefully it's still an issue that'd come about for nations that have compulsory vegetarianism. :)

Draft 1.02
Title: The War of Man and Beast
The Issue: Though mandatory vegetarianism has been adopted by the enlightened people of @@NAME@@, most of the world remains immorally omnivorous, ruffling the feathers of many a @@DEMONYM@@.
Validity: Must be vegetarian; Must not be an autarky

Option 1: "We need to beat these heartless murderers into submission," says Eleanor @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your slightly zealous environmental minister, invading a neighboring nation on a map with a ceramic cow. "We'll put trade sanctions on the worst offenders, and form an alliance with our vegetarian brethren, such as... um... you know, whatever we find. Now's not the time to be chicken; we have to teach these cow-murdering slaughterhouses some compassion!" She accidentally shatters the cow upon slamming it into Marche Noire.
[effect] a decrease in animal feed exports has killed numerous livestock

Option 2: "Woah there, Nellie! I think you're putting the cart before the @@ANIMAL@@," farmer Old McDolan suggests, after showing your secretary a selection of no-longer-profitable pigs. "Why not promote animal rights by being a bit more symbolic? You could maybe wear a broccoli pin, or even purchase one of these here pigs and bring 'em to your meetings once in a while. Heh, maybe even dress up like a victimized farm animal, if you really want to send a message."
[effect] @@LEADER@@ has been seen wearing a chewed up rubber chicken suit

Validity: Must have internet
Option 3: "Hey, how's about we spam other nations with grotesque images and videos of animals being brutally murdered and living in rancid conditions," suggests a teenage internet troll over a video chat, showing you a brief video that you'd wish you hadn't laid eyes on. "It'd be a lot of fun, and if you'd pay me and my friends for it, we could bug everyone til the cows come home!"
[effect] the nation is a powerhouse of grotesque online material

Option 4: "Come on, son, that's hardly fair," declares United Federation CEO of Colonel Dander's Deep-Fried Pig, Colonel Dander himself, showing you a picture of a signature peppy meal. "Yer beef with animal products is not only denyin' us business in @@NAME@@, but also denyin' yer folks the savory taste of a Dandy Dander Deluxe Double-Duty Fried Pork Burger. Tell ya what. If you legalize meat eatin', I'll give ya all the free meals you want, courtesy of Colonel Dander." You swear there's a twinkle in his eye as he smiles at you.
[effect] fast food restaurants have been torched in an attempt to protect cows
[Flag Change] Cancels Vegetarianism

The Issue: Though mandatory vegetarianism has been adopted by the enlightened people of @@NAME@@, most of the world remains immorally omnivorous, ruffling the feathers of many a @@DEMONYM@@.

Option 1: "We need to beat these heartless murderers into submission," says Eleanor @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your slightly zealous environmental minister, invading a neighboring nation on a map with a ceramic cow. "We'll put trade sanctions on the worst offenders, and form an alliance with our vegetarian brethren, such as... um... you know, whatever we find. Now's not the time to be chicken; we have to teach these cow-murdering slaughterhouses some compassion!" She accidentally shatters the cow upon slamming it into Marche Noir.

Option 2: "Woah there, Nellie! I think you're putting the cart before the @@ANIMAL@@," farmer Old McDolan suggests, after showing your secretary a selection of no-longer-profitable pigs. "Why not promote animal rights by being a bit more symbolic? You could maybe wear a broccoli pin, or even purchase one of these here pigs and bring 'em to your meetings once in a while. Heh, maybe even dress up like a victimized farm animal, if you really want to send a message."

Option 3: "Hey, how's about we spam other nations with grotesque images and videos of animals being brutally murdered and living in rancid conditions," suggests a teenage internet troll over a video chat, showing you a brief video that you'd wish you hadn't laid eyes on. "It'd be a lot of fun, and if you'd pay me and my friends for it, we could bug everyone til the cows come home!"
[effect] an internet war has broken out between @@NAME@@ and the rest of @@REGION@@

Option 4: "Come on, son, that's hardly fair," declares United Federation CEO of Colonel Dander's Deep-Fried Pig, Colonel Dander himself, showing you a picture of a signature peppy meal. "Yer beef with animal products is not only denyin' us business in @@NAME@@, but also denyin' yer folks the savory taste of a Dandy Dander Deluxe Double-Duty Fried Pork Burger. Tell ya what. If you legalize meat eatin', I'll give ya all the free meals you want, courtesy of Colonel Dander." You swear there's a twinkle in his eye as he smiles at you.
[effect] the national food supply is being drained by foreign corporations

The Issue: Though meat consumption has been banned from @@NAME@@, reports show that over a billion animals are still slaughtored annually in other nations. With more than a few feathers ruffled, you've agreed to attend a meeting to see whether @@NAME@@ could take going vegetarian one step further.

Option 1: "We need to beat these heartless murderers into submission," says Eleanor @@RANDOMLASTNAME@@, your slightly zealous environmental minister, invading a neighboring nation on a map with a ceramic cow. "We'll put trade sanctions on the worst offenders, and form an alliance with our vegetarian brethren, such as... um... you know, whatever we find. Now's not the time to be chicken; we have to teach these cow-murdering slaughterhouses some compassion!" She accidentally shatters the cow upon slamming it into Marche Noir.

Option 2: "Woah there, Nellie! I think you're putting the cart before the @@ANIMAL@@," Farmer Old McDolan suggests, after showing your secretary a selection of no-longer-profitable pigs. "Why not promote animal rights by being a bit more symbolic? You could maybe wear a broccoli pin, or even purchase one of these here pigs and bring 'em to your meetings once in a while. Heh, maybe even dress up like a victimized farm animal, if you really want to send a message."

[effect] an internet war has broken out between @@NAME@@ and the rest of @@REGION@@

[effect] the national food supply is being drained by foreign corporations
Last edited by Jutsa on Tue May 28, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 11 times in total.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 pm

So we're assuming that Jews, Muslims and Hindus can't be vegeterian?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Idk, irl religions are barely touched on in NS, and irl and NS NPC nations alike, compulsory vegetarianism's not really... normally established.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:01 am

First read of this description I thought it was about how animals are still slaughtered in @@NAME@@ for reasons other than meat production (e.g. for isinglass, for leather, and so on). Was kind of disappointed when I realised it was about dealing with other nations that aren't vegetarian, but that's a good premise too.

I think the opening would be more obvious and clearer if it was framed in a way that acknowledges that most of the world isn't vegetarian, and parses its phrasing from the viewpoint of a morally superior vegetarian nation.

Something like:

The Issue: Though mandatory vegetarianism has been adopted by the enlightened people of @@NAME@@, most of the world remains immorally omnivorous.

No other framing required, I think, though if you wanted to keep mentioning a meeting in place, I'd make it an international meeting with other vegetarian nations, then make your speakers fit that narrative. That way the additional opening sentence becomes relevant information, instead of just "people are meeting".
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:39 am

First read of this description I thought it was about how animals are still slaughtered in @@NAME@@ for reasons other than meat production (e.g. for isinglass, for leather, and so on). Was kind of disappointed when I realised it was about dealing with other nations that aren't vegetarian, but that's a good premise too.
Naeh, USS Monitor was working on a draft like that a while ago. I think she said she might start it up again when her RP finishes.
Though mandatory vegetarianism has been adopted by the enlightened people of @@NAME@@, most of the world remains immorally omnivorous.
I think this works fine, thank you CWA. :)

I'm kinda surprised you didn't have any other suggestions for the draft, so that's hopefully an OK sign. :P

edit: still wanted the "ruffled feathers" thing in there so I added "ruffling the feathers of many a @@DEMONYM@@". :›
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:06 am

Love the description now.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:36 am

I'll point out that there are reasons to legislate vegetarianism other than animal rights. While that's the most popular reason, sure, #350 6 does it in the name of simplicity (and I guess keeping food costs down through economies of scale? if you want to interpret it as slightly less of a crazy option), #483 4 does it in the name of health, and #825 6 does it in the name of ecological efficiency (it takes a lot less farmland to grow food than to grow stuff that you feed to food). In light of this, I wonder if there should be an option for saying "we don't actually care if other nations eat meat, just don't bring that stuff here", though I'm not sure how to make it more than just a pseudo-dismiss.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah... good point...

that's a bit of a doozy for sure. :unsure:

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 am

Jutsa wrote:I'm kinda surprised you didn't have any other suggestions for the draft, so that's hopefully an OK sign. :P

Haven't really read the rest. At an eyeball though, I'd say option 2 has a good effect line, the others don't immediately connect.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:03 am

Option 1:
"We'll put trade sanctions on the worst offenders"
"a decrease in animal feed exports has killed numerous livestock"

Option 3:
Not the best, but tbf NS is on the internet so it's got a meta double-meaning. Willing to change, though.

Option 4:
yeah wasn't sure what to put there.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:04 am

I didn't mean that they don't causally connect, I meant that they don't connect as jokes.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:05 am

The latter two I get.

The first one's pretty funny imo though.
The point is to try and help animals out. :rofl:

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am

Tried updating the latter two effect lines; 3's particularly not-so-simple. :(

I'm keeping 1 though. If it must be changed then so be it, but I'm content with it. :P

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:55 pm

Putting this on last call! :)

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:05 pm

Added an "e". Submitted. :)

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:20 pm

Good Luck!
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?