NATION

PASSWORD

World War IV: With Sticks and Stones (OOC, Sign-Ups, PT)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:18 pm

Cossack Khanate wrote:
Atheris wrote:I've reported him on the spam thread and via the report button on his nation page, hopefully he should be banned.

Thanks for being proactive, it was annoying and immature of him.

You're welcome.

Here's an idea: What if, at some point during the RP, a nation breaks out into civil war? Just kinda throwing it around, not expectig this to be taken seriously.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Nova Urbinum
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Urbinum » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Cossack Khanate wrote:
Nova Urbinum wrote:
That's weird. You think that the Northwest, Greater London and Belfast would be claimed, because of the infrastructure and natural advantages that they have, but I'd be cool with accepting them as "grey areas" Perhaps they're undecided fighting zones as well?

Also: Who's up for stationing themselves in Britain? I'd be happy to send the Enniskillen Dragoons overseas if any Nordics/Frenchmen want to pick a fight (:
Atheris wrote:It's just like that because that's land that Britannia hasn't reclaimed yet; methinks it's a relatively new empire.

It's mainly because they haven't been reclaimed by the Empire yet. Britannia, until now, has been harassed by Nordic and Iberians, which prevented their growth.

Understood. I've been kind of cheeky and claimed that divisions that have been going on in Ireland and specifically Ulster for the last 600 years continue. Is the ethnic makeup of Britannia, and specifically Ireland, the same, or does my post manipulate the storyline?

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Nova Urbinum wrote:Understood. I've been kind of cheeky and claimed that divisions that have been going on in Ireland and specifically Ulster for the last 600 years continue. Is the ethnic makeup of Britannia, and specifically Ireland, the same, or does my post manipulate the storyline?

No, I think your post is a great addition to the Britannia storyline. Let’s go with your post as the base. Remember everyone, you can make parts of history and culture up as long as it makes sense and aligns somewhat with logic. Also, I have put the reading version (the dispatch version) in chronological order, so the Slavic soldier’s post is at the end. I like the day by day timeline, but if we need to we can skips some days or weeks to catch up with the Slavic post. I know some people’s posts are going scene by scene, and his jumps days, but we’ll figure it out. I think his post is great because it shows the pre-war boredom on the front.
The Holy Decreeist Empire of Cossack Khanate
We don’t use NS Stats, to do so would be ridiculous. You also can’t check my factbooks...because they are in Google Docs. Tee hee
Council of Free Market Economies ,ReArk Armaments (WIP)
A proud member of the regions Cornellia (IC) and Farkasfalka (OOC).
Proud Monarch of the ♔♚IMPERION COALITION♚♔
Me in not so much of nutshell: The Nutshell

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Atheris wrote:
Cossack Khanate wrote:
Thanks for being proactive, it was annoying and immature of him.

You're welcome.

Here's an idea: What if, at some point during the RP, a nation breaks out into civil war? Just kinda throwing it around, not expectig this to be taken seriously.

Well, I think that could be possible. I wouldn’t think that religion-based empire like Hindustan or Mamlaka would have civil wars on a large scale, but maybe like the Iberians, Nordics, or Chinese. Again I think the Slavs would be united.
We don’t use NS Stats, to do so would be ridiculous. You also can’t check my factbooks...because they are in Google Docs. Tee hee

Endem
Senator

Founded: Aug 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 am

Cossacks, I have a favor I want to ask you, could you edit the dispatch and change my story date to January?
All my posts are done at 3 A.M., lucidity is not a thing at that hour.

The Black Party
Minister

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Black Party » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:38 am

Cheers, Cossack, but I'm going to pull out of the RP. Feel free to remove my character from the roster.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.
Moderators Lie.
"Revolt Against the Mod World"

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Endem wrote:Cossacks, I have a favor I want to ask you, could you edit the dispatch and change my story date to January?

Sure thing, makes it easier for me and the storyline
The Black Party wrote:Cheers, Cossack, but I'm going to pull out of the RP. Feel free to remove my character from the roster.
Sad to see you go, but will do.

Iceland-Norway-Denmark
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Iceland-Norway-Denmark » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Concerning combat when you said that a sword would be unwieldy that gave me the impression you were going to implement some kind of basic mechanical system. Is that right? In combat do you want to describe if an action is successful or not? RP whether my character gets attacked and what ever?

Nova Urbinum
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Urbinum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Are we implementing some kind of fighting mechanic here? If so, I think I screwed up.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:52 pm

Nova Urbinum wrote:Are we implementing some kind of fighting mechanic here? If so, I think I screwed up.

Iceland-Norway-Denmark wrote:Concerning combat when you said that a sword would be unwieldy that gave me the impression you were going to implement some kind of basic mechanical system. Is that right? In combat do you want to describe if an action is successful or not? RP whether my character gets attacked and what ever?

Yeah, the warning about the broadsword was just to warn those people who never take into account the drawbacks of their weapon. No, we aren’t using any specific fighting mechanic Nova; I actually enjoy reading your fight scenes. I’m sure you have run into the people who have their characters running at 25 mph but the character is carrying a minigun. That doesn’t make sense. The point of that warning was mainly realism, but both of you have made great posts so far. I like the way that this is turning out. About RPing the consequences of actions, you could, it is mainly up to you. Personally, I think that it does make sense that if your character is climbing out of a trench with a machine gun compared to a pistol, the character would have a greater chance of getting hit because he/she is slower with the extra weight. But it isn’t mandatory, because your character can always get lucky. I hope I made sense with that.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 pm

Question to Iceland-Norway-Denmark: Can I have a time/date/region for your post? It just makes the story flow easier, sorry to interrupt you if you were working on it.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:03 pm

Wait is there already a World war, cause it seems like the Slavs and Iberians are fighting according to these posts.

Also, if I may make a suggestion, it would make sense to have the Slavic Empire allied with Ruthenia, as the two are both Slavic nations threatened by the Nords, Mamluks and Iberians.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm

The Traansval wrote:Wait is there already a World war, cause it seems like the Slavs and Iberians are fighting according to these posts.

Also, if I may make a suggestion, it would make sense to have the Slavic Empire allied with Ruthenia, as the two are both Slavic nations threatened by the Nords, Mamluks and Iberians.

Kinda. There are border conflicts all over the world, but it hasn’t erupted into full scale war. The conflicts are mainly
Slavs v.s Iberians in Albania, cause the Iberians moved into Slavic lands
Iberians v.s Nordics in northern France and along that border
Hindu Kenya and Mamlaka-backed insurgents in Somalia
Britannia v.s Nordics v.s Iberians in Great Britain.

I believe the Ruthenians are allied with the Slavs, although not officially, just an unwritten term of friendship. If any of you see something that should be added to the info post (the very first post on this thread), just tell me. Nice to point it out though, keep it up. I love your post too, very authentic.

Nova Urbinum
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Urbinum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Cossack Khanate wrote:
Nova Urbinum wrote:Are we implementing some kind of fighting mechanic here? If so, I think I screwed up.

Iceland-Norway-Denmark wrote:Concerning combat when you said that a sword would be unwieldy that gave me the impression you were going to implement some kind of basic mechanical system. Is that right? In combat do you want to describe if an action is successful or not? RP whether my character gets attacked and what ever?

Yeah, the warning about the broadsword was just to warn those people who never take into account the drawbacks of their weapon. No, we aren’t using any specific fighting mechanic Nova; I actually enjoy reading your fight scenes. I’m sure you have run into the people who have their characters running at 25 mph but the character is carrying a minigun. That doesn’t make sense. The point of that warning was mainly realism, but both of you have made great posts so far. I like the way that this is turning out. About RPing the consequences of actions, you could, it is mainly up to you. Personally, I think that it does make sense that if your character is climbing out of a trench with a machine gun compared to a pistol, the character would have a greater chance of getting hit because he/she is slower with the extra weight. But it isn’t mandatory, because your character can always get lucky. I hope I made sense with that.

This is precisely why I chose not to have a pistol: Few junior NCOs back in WW1 actually had handguns, and I feel that having 2-3 magazines of extra ammunition, or even a speedloader for a revolver, aside from the handgun itself, would make my character unbearably slow and heavy. He's currently give or take 20 .303 bullets in his cavalry pouches, and a bayonet on his belt. And his rifle is a shorter version of the SMLE. All of these things make sense, because he's a cavalryman. That's why his movement in my posts, such as the dodge and stab thing that I had in my first post, eventually make sense.

I appreciate you not trying to overcomplicate the RP by adding in a combat system. I feel that we can all collectively try to stick to realism as much as necessary, and a fighting mechanism will probably not be necessary to produce quality posts/a good RP.

Iceland-Norway-Denmark
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Iceland-Norway-Denmark » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:38 pm

Cossack Khanate wrote:Question to Iceland-Norway-Denmark: Can I have a time/date/region for your post? It just makes the story flow easier, sorry to interrupt you if you were working on it.

Lets say the 31st of January, maybe seven o clock. Around Buckinghamshire, on that southern border between the Britainian terratory and Iberian occupied land anyway.

The Traansval
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Traansval » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:41 pm

Nova Urbinum wrote:
Cossack Khanate wrote:

This is precisely why I chose not to have a pistol: Few junior NCOs back in WW1 actually had handguns, and I feel that having 2-3 magazines of extra ammunition, or even a speedloader for a revolver, aside from the handgun itself, would make my character unbearably slow and heavy. He's currently give or take 20 .303 bullets in his cavalry pouches, and a bayonet on his belt. And his rifle is a shorter version of the SMLE. All of these things make sense, because he's a cavalryman. That's why his movement in my posts, such as the dodge and stab thing that I had in my first post, eventually make sense.

I appreciate you not trying to overcomplicate the RP by adding in a combat system. I feel that we can all collectively try to stick to realism as much as necessary, and a fighting mechanism will probably not be necessary to produce quality posts/a good RP.

A pistol and ammo weighs no more than a hand grenade or to. Junior NCo's of the time didn't carry Handguns because that wasn't their role, both in society and on the battlefield. NCO's were still considered Enlisted and so therefor were expected to fight with a rifle in the line formation and then later on in more tactical formations (Since i'm assuming this RP is set in a technological and cultural equivalent of 1914 then most nations would still employ Line Formations). An officer, however, was expected to be more preoccupied with giving orders and directing troops than fighting, and so would not need a rifle but would still need a firearm to defend himself, hence a pistol. Additionally being Enlisted their social status was no better than the measly Private, compared to the Officers of whom many purchased their commissions making them often of the Social Elites. You'd never see a Duke or Prince carry a rifle, they carried pistols because they were considered more gentlemanly of their social status. The only real exception to this is either the Artillery, who were only to use a firearm in extreme cases, and the Cavalry who needed a smaller firearm to fire from horse back.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:05 pm

The Traansval wrote:
Nova Urbinum wrote:

A pistol and ammo weighs no more than a hand grenade or to. Junior NCo's of the time didn't carry Handguns because that wasn't their role, both in society and on the battlefield. NCO's were still considered Enlisted and so therefor were expected to fight with a rifle in the line formation and then later on in more tactical formations (Since i'm assuming this RP is set in a technological and cultural equivalent of 1914 then most nations would still employ Line Formations). An officer, however, was expected to be more preoccupied with giving orders and directing troops than fighting, and so would not need a rifle but would still need a firearm to defend himself, hence a pistol. Additionally being Enlisted their social status was no better than the measly Private, compared to the Officers of whom many purchased their commissions making them often of the Social Elites. You'd never see a Duke or Prince carry a rifle, they carried pistols because they were considered more gentlemanly of their social status. The only real exception to this is either the Artillery, who were only to use a firearm in extreme cases, and the Cavalry who needed a smaller firearm to fire from horse back.

I see both of your points. I actually appreciate both of you engaging in relevant historical weaponry debate, because it brings realism to the table. And yes we still use line formations, because we don’t have gas or bombers or too heavy artillery yet. Emphasise on the yet, because (depending on how long this RP runs) we may have nations developing new technologies (although now would be too soon). Personally, I think while a handgun might be heavier, it might be useful in some situations, mainly when you can’t use two hands or when you are in close quarters. Both of these scenarios are usually if your job is specialized. Out in the field, I would personally prefer a hand grenade. (especially when I don’t have access to SMGs or assault rifles, like in our RP). My character carries a revolver because of the type of combat he faces, which are mainly base or city attacks (because the Hindu forces can loot Somalian cities without getting a whole empire on their tail), meaning he may be in close quarters. But this would make him slower compared to Sutherland. Plus Ajay’s rifle (Enfield 1917) takes a 6 round magazine, so he needs to carry those. It is all mainly choice about the specs of your character.

And I didn’t want to introduce a fighting mechanism because a) it would overcomplicate the RP, and b) because it would limit creativity with how the battle goes as well as individual fight scenes.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:06 pm

Iceland-Norway-Denmark wrote:
Cossack Khanate wrote:Question to Iceland-Norway-Denmark: Can I have a time/date/region for your post? It just makes the story flow easier, sorry to interrupt you if you were working on it.

Lets say the 31st of January, maybe seven o clock. Around Buckinghamshire, on that southern border between the Britainian terratory and Iberian occupied land anyway.

Thanks, I’ll add it in

Nova Urbinum
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Urbinum » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:12 pm

The Traansval wrote:
Nova Urbinum wrote:

Two bits:

NCOs are not enlisted men. They are officers without a commission, meaning that they never obtained a commission, or a field recognition otherwise known as a warranty. Enlisted men don't hold any standards, and this is because enlisted men are to be commanded, and NCOs, for the most part, are commanders, commanders operating in extreme conditions and going extremely in-depth to position their troops and make sure that they achieve full combat effectiveness.

Most cavalry during the second world war, except for reserve cavalry regiment like the Irish horse regiments, had proper short magazine lee enfields, the same "long rifle" that the infantry used. Carbines dated back to the boer wars, in which British cavalrymen had shorter firearms that were more effective from horseback.

In the British army, your social status only partially contributed to your field grade. If you had the funds to buy a commission, you could give the British army money and immediately get to the rank of a subaltern, say a lieutenant. The more you paid, the higher you got, unless your deeds were recognized, in which you could be elevated to receive a commission, which was a great honour. Most platoon leaders during WW1, therefore, never really rose through the ranks. They were rather noblemen and Cambridge frat boys who had loads of moolah that they could spend so that they could walk around in officer's uniforms and experience the social status that a commission in the army brought with it.

This means that you weren't just told "Oh, you're a nobleman, here's your rank of lieutenant-colonel, have fun commanding troops! Oh yes, and here is your Webley revolver! Go get those huns!". People had to buy their rank, or go through tremendous efforts to receive it. During the Boer wars, officers liked buying their own firearms as well, meaning that most of a British officer's kit could actually be bought up by the COs themselves.

In short: A nobleman could fill up the rank as an enlisted man, if his family had bad connections and/or if his family was absolutely broke. This did happen. Connections made it easier and cheaper to get a commission, and money made it easier to get connections and rise through the ranks.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am

Jakub is officially K.I.A and now let me make another soldier ( to be fair Jakub didn't quite try to make it out alive, he only wanted the war to end for him )

Name of soldier: Ainsley Long
Nationality / Empire of Origin: Singaporean, Indo-Malaysian Empire
Regular Weapon: none ( his a sailor so a regular weapon wouldn't be useful )
Sidearm: Browning M1903
Melee: Thin Sword
Personality (optional): a cheerful and ambitious person, tries to befriend many of his co-sailors.
Speciality (select one)    Sharpshooter [ ] Tactician [ ] Strength [ ] Bravery [ X ]
Last edited by Endem on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:48 pm

Alright, I've decided I can't do this anymore.

I like the premise, don't get me wrong, but fucking school and being involved in another RP and not being good with singular characters and shit.

Sorry. Nikita got kicked by his horse and died.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Atheris wrote:Alright, I've decided I can't do this anymore.

I like the premise, don't get me wrong, but fucking school and being involved in another RP and not being good with singular characters and shit.

Sorry. Nikita got kicked by his horse and died.

O.K then, if school ever decides to give you a break (who am I kidding) and this RP is still running, don’t be afraid to come back. And RIP Nikita and Jakub.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:10 pm

Endem wrote:Jakub is officially K.I.A and now let me make another soldier ( to be fair Jakub didn't quite try to make it out alive, he only wanted the war to end for him )

Name of soldier: Ainsley Long
Nationality / Empire of Origin: Singaporean, Indo-Malaysian Empire
Regular Weapon: none ( his a sailor so a regular weapon wouldn't be useful )
Sidearm: Browning M1903
Melee: Thin Sword
Personality (optional): a cheerful and ambitious person, tries to befriend many of his co-sailors.
Speciality (select one)    Sharpshooter [ ] Tactician [ ] Strength [ ] Bravery [ X ]

Again, RIP Jakub. Anyway, accepted will update roster. I am leaving characters who have died in the roster and simply marking them with KIA tags.

Endem
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Endem » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 pm

I'll be taking a break from this RP for a while to, well, wait for the story to progress to another month.

Cossack Khanate
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cossack Khanate » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:12 am

Endem wrote:I'll be taking a break from this RP for a while to, well, wait for the story to progress to another month.

O.K, its all good, 'cause you are a bit ahead of the timeline anyway. See ya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse