NATION

PASSWORD

[Draft]@@DEMONYM@@ Colony on Mars? (Title is a WIP)

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

[Draft]@@DEMONYM@@ Colony on Mars? (Title is a WIP)

Postby United States of Natan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Validity: Nations with a space program

After the news that Dàguó astronauts recently made the very first successful Mars landing, your advisers have gathered in your office to discuss @@NAME@@'s own plans for the red planet.

The Debate:

1. "We can't let Dàguó get the upper hand with Mars," says @@RANDOMNAME@@, Administrator of the @@NAME@@ Aeronautics and Space Administration, while fumbling with some papers in @@HIS@@ briefcase. "We need to exceed them. If they want to send landing parties, we'll establish a permanent settlement! My researchers have been hard at work, and we think we've whipped up a viable prototype of a habitable martian dome. It'll take a few years to perfect, and then of course there's the issue of transportation, but with a lot of money and perhaps investments from the private sector, we could have a functioning Martian Colony in no time. If we need to, we can even take some money out of the defense budget, which is already bloated to begin with."

Outcome: The Martian Colony of New @@CAPITAL@@ has been established.

2. "Just a few colonies?!" exclaims @RANDOMNAME@@, your Secretary of Defense, who is currently in a dispute with @@HIS@@ neighbor over building an addition to @@HIS@@ house over the property line. "Why settle for a few colonies when we can claim the entire planet as our own?! Just imagine, a planet all to ourselves, in addition to the territory we have at home! Sure, it might piss off the World Assembly, but who cares about some stupid space treaty? If they want to do something about it, they can just try to invade Mars, where we'll already have plenty of military bases set up to stop them."

Outcome: Soldiers on Mars who go AWOL find themselves trapped on a frozen wasteland.

3. "Excuse me, but shouldn't we, the taxpayers, have say? This all sounds incredibly expensive!" exclaims @@RANDOMNAME@@, CEO of Rich People R US and Chairman of the Tee Party, a far-right, anti-taxation party, who's yelling outside your office window with a group of ragged-looking, impoverished Tee Party protesters. "We've got a bunch of issues here at home, we shouldn't be worrying about another planet as well! Forget this whole "Mars" thing. If Dàguó wants a barren red wasteland, they can have it. Instead, shut down @@NAMEINITIALS@@ASA and give @@DEMONYM@@ corporations a tax cut, so that we can buy more private pla... I mean, create more jobs for the hard working people of @@NAME@@!"

Outcome: Instead of spaceships, would-be astronauts now find themselves piloting the private planes of CEOs.

4. "Why not find a happy medium," asks @@RANDOMNAME@@, your Secretary of Middle Ground. "Clearly, establishing a permanent presence on Mars would be incredibly expensive," @@HE@@ says, while trying to avoid death glares from everyone else in the room. "But we also shouldn't just give up on space exploration altogether. How about we just send a landing party to explore for a few hours, like Dàguó did? Sure, we won't be first, but we can say we did it!"

Outcome: @@NAME@@ is always the second country to achieve something.

Obviously, it needs some work, but I would appreciate CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Issue 495 used "Fido" rather than "Pluto;" because of that, I'm not sure you should go with Mars, or use another, fictional planet name instead.
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Hediacrana wrote:Issue 495 used "Fido" rather than "Pluto;" because of that, I'm not sure you should go with Mars, or use another, fictional planet name instead.

Ok, I suppose that wouldn't be a bad idea. How about Ares, Mars' Greek counterpart? I'll hold off on changing it for now, though; I want to wait to see what others say.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 pm

Mars is mentioned in #270 and #510 (also #1, but that doesn't really count).
Last edited by Trotterdam on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Mars is mentioned in #270 and #510 (also #1, but that doesn't really count).

Ok, then. I see absolutely no reason not to continue calling it Mars.

Hediacrana
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Hediacrana » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:59 pm

Trotterdam wrote:Mars is mentioned in #270 and #510 (also #1, but that doesn't really count).

Whoops, pardon me. OP, feel free to ignore my suggestion then. :blush:
'If you're not anti-war, then you're not fiscally conservative, and you're certainly not pro-life.'
Parent, spouse, leftist Christian and suspected witch.
She/her.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:11 pm

I'd love an issue editor's thoughts on this issue, if one happens to see this.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 pm

I don't know if this issue covers ebough ndw ground
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:04 am

After the news that Dàguó astronauts recently made the very first successful Mars landing, your advisers have gathered in your office to discuss @@NAME@@'s own plans for the red planet.

I think this is a bit problematic as a premise.

If we're talking an unmanned landing, then IRL we've had landers on Mars since the 1970s.

If we're talking a manned landing, then we'll likely see that happening in the next 10-20 years, for sure, but it seems weird to have an issue declare that it has already happened, especially if it happens for the first time every time this issue comes round. And the options? Way into the realm of science fiction, completely changing the nature of the NS world. I don't think we can use this.

Just to preempt the counter argument: yes, yes, vat-grown people, sentient AIs, etc. etc. The former doesn't fit NS and wouldn't be allowed into the game now but remains through historic momentum, the latter is a matter of opinion rather than proof in canon. So basically no, we're not having Mars colonies in the fiction at this stage.
Last edited by Candlewhisper Archive on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:54 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:

I think this is a bit problematic as a premise.

If we're talking an unmanned landing, then IRL we've had landers on Mars since the 1970s.

If we're talking a manned landing, then we'll likely see that happening in the next 10-20 years, for sure, but it seems weird to have an issue declare that it has already happened, especially if it happens for the first time every time this issue comes round. And the options? Way into the realm of science fiction, completely changing the nature of the NS world. I don't think we can use this.

Just to preempt the counter argument: yes, yes, vat-grown people, sentient AIs, etc. etc. The former doesn't fit NS and wouldn't be allowed into the game now but remains through historic momentum, the latter is a matter of opinion rather than proof in canon. So basically no, we're not having Mars colonies in the fiction at this stage.

Damn. I put a lot of work into this one.

Candlewhisper Archive
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Anarchy

Postby Candlewhisper Archive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 am

In a different narrative setting and cultural milieu, it'd work fine. It's just not a good fit for the issues that'd be around it, that's all.

Maybe reframe this to be about planning a mission to Mars instead?
editors like linguistic ambiguity more than most people

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 am

Candlewhisper Archive wrote:In a different narrative setting and cultural milieu, it'd work fine. It's just not a good fit for the issues that'd be around it, that's all.

Maybe reframe this to be about planning a mission to Mars instead?

Eh, I don't know. I feel like it would kind of be selling out my creative originality; I did spend a while working on this one, and also I can't really think of a way to make a manned mission to Mars work in a way that would make it an actual issue.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013

Postby Australian rePublic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:46 pm

Option 2- if @@NAME@@'s not in the WA, then why should @@NAME@@ give a shit about the WA?
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- if @@NAME@@'s not in the WA, then why should @@NAME@@ give a shit about the WA?

Option 2 makes it clear that the SecDef DOESN'T give a shit about the WA. Regardless, the discussion of this issue weren't already moot due to the issue editors trashing it.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:06 am

United States of Natan wrote:
Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- if @@NAME@@'s not in the WA, then why should @@NAME@@ give a shit about the WA?

Option 2 makes it clear that the SecDef DOESN'T give a shit about the WA. Regardless, the discussion of this issue weren't already moot due to the issue editors trashing it.

It still feels like a problem - WA nations may feel that this option violates WA law.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Option 2 makes it clear that the SecDef DOESN'T give a shit about the WA. Regardless, the discussion of this issue weren't already moot due to the issue editors trashing it.

It still feels like a problem - WA nations may feel that this option violates WA law.

Well, there are other issues that mention the WA which have options that the WA wouldn't like. For example, the one about the "donation" to the WA. Some of the options (not just the one that withdraws you from the assembly) would be seen as unfavorable by the WA.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:55 am

United States of Natan wrote:
The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:It still feels like a problem - WA nations may feel that this option violates WA law.

Well, there are other issues that mention the WA which have options that the WA wouldn't like. For example, the one about the "donation" to the WA. Some of the options (not just the one that withdraws you from the assembly) would be seen as unfavorable by the WA.

I checked the GAWA resolutions up to August 2015 (since I don't have all the time in the world) and there doesn't seem to be any legislation explicitly forbidding interplanetary colonies. Option 2 is clear to go.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:Well, there are other issues that mention the WA which have options that the WA wouldn't like. For example, the one about the "donation" to the WA. Some of the options (not just the one that withdraws you from the assembly) would be seen as unfavorable by the WA.

I checked the GAWA resolutions up to August 2015 (since I don't have all the time in the world) and there doesn't seem to be any legislation explicitly forbidding interplanetary colonies. Option 2 is clear to go.

Actual GAWA resolutions are irrelevant when discussing issues.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?