NATION

PASSWORD

[DEFEATED/DISCARDED] The Cloning Conventions

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

La Navasse
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby La Navasse » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 am

Araraukar wrote:
La Navasse wrote:11. Assigns the World Assembly Scientific Programme the duties of overlooking cloning for biomedical research and use to ensure their accordance with this resolution and the promotion of the sharing of cloning technology.

OOC: How does that stop non-sapient things hurting sapient things? A dog biting a man, for example.

OOC: Any way the WASP sees fit.
Last edited by La Navasse on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation name permanently retired; now Caspian Settlement (Cassett).
Discord: Cassett#0940 | A Proud Patriotic Pacifican. | Seasoned WA Author. | GP Alignment: 2, 19
Things About Gameplay: Forum Thread | Dispatches

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:21 am

La Navasse wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: How does that stop non-sapient things hurting sapient things? A dog biting a man, for example.

OOC: Any way the WASP sees fit.

OOC: Not good enough. You as the proposal author should be setting the restrictions, rather than giving a committee absolute power over everything. Also, you're totally missing the point: there is no way to "child-proof" everything non-sapient that's alive.

EDIT: In addition to which, WASP isn't really the committee you want to use for any kind of enforcement of that sort.
Last edited by Araraukar on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

La Navasse
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby La Navasse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Araraukar wrote:
La Navasse wrote:OOC: Any way the WASP sees fit.

OOC: Not good enough. You as the proposal author should be setting the restrictions, rather than giving a committee absolute power over everything. Also, you're totally missing the point: there is no way to "child-proof" everything non-sapient that's alive.

EDIT: In addition to which, WASP isn't really the committee you want to use for any kind of enforcement of that sort.

However, I don't exactly want a committee that isn't flexible and barges in on nations that don't want such enforcement - that's why nations can run WASP and decide how they are going to manage issues of cloning.

Also, how has the following clause not child-proofed everything non-sapient that's alive?

8. Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they are not created for the express intent to cause harm to sapient organisms;
Discord: Cassett#0940 | A Proud Patriotic Pacifican. | Seasoned WA Author. | GP Alignment: 2, 19

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 am

Except nations don't run WASP. It can't be different for every country to handle on their own.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:03 pm

La Navasse wrote:8. Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they are not created for the express intent to cause harm to sapient organisms;

OOC: You do realize that that would exclude cloning of guard/police dogs? (EDIT: Yes, yes, I know such dogs are more a deterrent, but the deterrent only works because of their intent to cause harm if you don't obey the commands given.) 2nd EDIT: And probably anything (are viruses organisms? that's still debated in RL) created for medically therapeutic intentions, where some harm (also depends on how you define "harm") to the individual is generally intended. Hell, leeches (yes, they're still used, often to improve circulation in attaching/re-attaching extremities like fingers or toes) bite you and suck blood from you. Maggots (wound treatment) literally eat bits of you (which is generally considered a harm, even though they're usually removed before they can go for the healthy tissue).
Last edited by Araraukar on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

La Navasse
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby La Navasse » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Araraukar wrote:
La Navasse wrote:8. Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they are not created for the express intent to cause harm to sapient organisms;

OOC: You do realize that that would exclude cloning of guard/police dogs? (EDIT: Yes, yes, I know such dogs are more a deterrent, but the deterrent only works because of their intent to cause harm if you don't obey the commands given.)

Eh. I think cloning should be for peaceful purposes.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 pm

OOC: Reposting this here so you don't miss it, if reading only new replies:

And probably [prohibits the cloning of] anything (are viruses organisms? that's still debated in RL) created for medically therapeutic intentions, where some harm (also depends on how you define "harm") to the individual is generally intended. Hell, leeches (yes, they're still used, often to improve circulation in attaching/re-attaching extremities like fingers or toes) bite you and suck blood from you. Maggots (wound treatment) literally eat bits of you (which is generally considered a harm, even though they're usually removed before they can go for the healthy tissue).

La Navasse wrote:Eh. I think cloning should be for peaceful purposes.

Also, that's a great attitude and one that I share, but the peaceful purposes include medical purposes.

La Navasse
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby La Navasse » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:18 pm

Araraukar wrote:OOC: Reposting this here so you don't miss it, if reading only new replies:

And probably [prohibits the cloning of] anything (are viruses organisms? that's still debated in RL) created for medically therapeutic intentions, where some harm (also depends on how you define "harm") to the individual is generally intended. Hell, leeches (yes, they're still used, often to improve circulation in attaching/re-attaching extremities like fingers or toes) bite you and suck blood from you. Maggots (wound treatment) literally eat bits of you (which is generally considered a harm, even though they're usually removed before they can go for the healthy tissue).

La Navasse wrote:Eh. I think cloning should be for peaceful purposes.

Also, that's a great attitude and one that I share, but the peaceful purposes include medical purposes.

I think it could it argued that as on the whole, they provide benefit, there is no harm.

I plan on submitting this draft soon if there are no other contraindications.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm

“I don’t see the need to include the World Assembly Scientific Programme in clause 11, as the proposal works fine without its inclusion and I am generally opposed to employing committees just for the sake of it.”
Last edited by Kenmoria on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:47 am

OOC post.

La Navasse wrote:Defines a clone that is genetically altered not to great extent as a clone as defined in this resolution;

Why?

La Navasse wrote:Excludes, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as offspring instead;

...what? Does this apply to non-sapient organisms too?

La Navasse wrote:Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

So, in the case of animals, none. And in the case of sapients, none until the time they would be born (the abortion resolutions).

La Navasse wrote:Restricts all cloning to only be done by qualified biomedical personnel, or qualified veterinary personnel in collaboration with qualified biomedical personnel;

Qualified, how? I would say "being able to do it" would count as qualification. Cloning isn't exactly easy, if assuming RL-esque tech level.

La Navasse wrote:Restricts the cloning of sapient organisms only to originators who fully consent to being cloned;

...so one parent who's unable to breed (to satisfy the offspring clause) anymore, wants to have a clone baby of their dead only child, but the other parent (half the child's genome is from them) refuses, then no baby? Are are all instances of "cloning" meant only for "clones" as defined by the proposal? Because you can obviously clone individuals for the offspring reasons. You only define the noun, not the verb.

La Navasse wrote:Permits the cloning of unconscious, unfeeling organisms from sapient originators, where the clones themselves do not have any sapience and have been proven to not be in locked-in syndrome, for biomedical experimentation and use;

Fetuses by definition are not sapient (being aware of the separation of "self" from "others" is part of the definition of sapiency; human babies don't reach that until well after birth), nor, up to a certain point of development, individuals, and definitely not individuals in the eyes of the WA until they're born (or are cut off from life-support and are viable to live on without it).

La Navasse wrote:Bans the cloning of conscious, feeling organisms from sapient originators for biomedical experimentation and use, and of any cloning of any sapient originator if the medical professionals who clone cannot reliably confirm, with a high degree of confidence, that the clone is not suffering from locked-in syndrome or any related disability;

Such disabilities aren't, at least in RL humans, found until after the individual is born. Also, does this ban affect the offspring clause earlier? Because you use the word "clone" here, and that by your definition does not include offspring.

La Navasse wrote:Reserves for all sapient clones the right to know the origin of their genetic material at their national legal age of consent unless the clonal parent requests otherwise;

...so wait, given that you're excluding offspring clones from being included in the word "clone", are you trying to make it okay to clone people (sapients) to become guinea-pigs? How the fuck do you think that'd pass CoCR?

La Navasse wrote:Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they are not created for the express intent to cause harm to sapient organisms;

And if they cause harm anyway?

La Navasse wrote:Reserves for all WA member-states the right to legislate on the legal methods of cloning as laid out by this resolution and on anything regarding organ cloning;

...if the WA legislates on the cloning, as you do in this resolution, you're taking that right out of the hands of the member states. I think you probably meant to have only the organ cloning here, though I would point out that there are resolutions in existence that concern the matter, so you'd be trying to amend them by giving nations the right to legislate on anything on the matter.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Araraukar wrote:
La Navasse wrote:Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

So, in the case of animals, none. And in the case of sapients, none until the time they would be born (the abortion resolutions).

"Actually, ambassador, funny story about that; all animals are covered by some level of protection, and some even allowed to vote, in our nation.
In fact, even plants and other life forms are covered by some of our laws. Isn't that right, Leafy?" A small plant sits quietly on the desk and doesn't seem to reply.

OOC: Idk, I was looking through resolutions, saw that, and felt the need to make a silly but truthful comment. :P
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:33 am

“Your preamble seems at odds with the legislation in your active clauses. The main issues your mandates tackle are: providing a set of ethical principles guiding behaviour towards clones, and addressing what is moral to clone in the first place. Yet, nothing about those two issues is mentioned in the preamble. In fact, you don’t actually mention any problems caused by the current lack of legislation, beyond a general need for ‘precautions’.”
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Jutsa wrote:"Actually, ambassador, funny story about that; all animals are covered by some level of protection, and some even allowed to vote, in our nation.
In fact, even plants and other life forms are covered by some of our laws. Isn't that right, Leafy?" A small plant sits quietly on the desk and doesn't seem to reply.

OOC: Idk, I was looking through resolutions, saw that, and felt the need to make a silly but truthful comment. :P

OOC: Don't tempt me to go into full RP mode with PPU. :P And also, you were replying to an OOC post.

What protections do cloned animals have? Like, can you point out the exact resolutions?

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm

What protections do cloned animals have? Like, can you point out the exact resolutions?

WA resolutions? Not really, sorry; not too familiar with the existing laws yet. Still kinda going through resolutions while I update them over on NSI.
I mean, I know at least a few times there were animal rights resolutions passed, but they kept getting repealed for various reasons I didn't look too into.
Pretty sure there isn't one specifically addressing the topic atm, because of that.

Sorta like universal jurisdiction: just doesn't have much luck despite the several attempts. *shrugs*
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:36 am

Jutsa wrote:

WA resolutions? Not really, sorry; not too familiar with the existing laws yet. Still kinda going through resolutions while I update them over on NSI.
I mean, I know at least a few times there were animal rights resolutions passed, but they kept getting repealed for various reasons I didn't look too into.
Pretty sure there isn't one specifically addressing the topic atm, because of that.

Sorta like universal jurisdiction: just doesn't have much luck despite the several attempts. *shrugs*

OOC: No need to spoiler it when it's entirely relevant to the topic at hand. You replied in IC to me OOCly saying that there aren't any WA-mandated protections on animals. No animal rights resolution. Your IC comment to that seemed to imply there was. If we agree there isn't, then La Navasse referring to "the same rights as their originator’s species" in clause 3 is nonsense for non-sapient organisms.

In general I think the author should decide what they're really aiming for here.

1. Sapient clone rights? All sapients are covered by existing resolutions already. People already can't be used as guinea-pigs without their permission.

2. Sapient clone health? Then they need to re-focus it and stop demanding perfection, since nothing is perfect when we're talking about complex organisms.

3. The ethics of cloning? Then they need to refocus it and go for the limits of ethics; like not letting clones of sapients that have been intentionally made ill to reach the developmental point where they would, if they were produced via normal reproduction, come under the WA's child protection resolutions.

4. Using cloned organisms as bioweapons of some kind? Actual bioweapons (viruses and such) have already been banned, using more complex organisms as weapons has already been banned, and there's really no sensible reason I can see to ban the cloning of something like, say, police dogs, nevermind their potential as "weapons". It needs much better arguments for it, if that's the goal.

Blueflarst
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Blueflarst » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:17 am

La Navasse wrote:

The Cloning Conventions
Category: Health | Area of Effect: Bioethics | Proposed by: La Navasse

Disturbed by the lack of legislation concerning biological clones;

Aware that many nations with biological engineering have the ability to clone organisms;

In awe of the vast potential biological clones have to improve the society & livelihood of their respective nations;

Resolute in the belief that certain precautions must be exercised in regards to biological cloning;

The World Assembly hereby:

1. Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical, artificially produced copy of a single individual, the originator;

1. Defines a clone that is genetically altered not to great extent as a clone as defined in this resolution;

2. Excludes, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as offspring instead;

3. Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

4. Restricts all cloning to only be done by qualified biomedical personnel, or qualified veterinary personnel in collaboration with qualified biomedical personnel;

1. Restricts the cloning of sapient organisms only to originators who fully consent to being cloned;

5. Permits the cloning of unconscious, unfeeling organisms from sapient originators, where the clones themselves do not have any sapience and have been proven to not be in locked-in syndrome, for biomedical experimentation and use;

6. Bans the cloning of conscious, feeling organisms from sapient originators for biomedical experimentation and use, and of any cloning of any sapient originator if the medical professionals who clone cannot reliably confirm, with a high degree of confidence, that the clone is not suffering from locked-in syndrome or any related disability;

7. Reserves for all sapient clones the right to know the origin of their genetic material at their national legal age of consent unless the clonal parent requests otherwise;

8. Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they are not created for the express intent to cause harm to sapient organisms;

9. Authorizes and actively encourages nations to share cloning technology;

10. Reserves for all WA member-states the right to legislate on the legal methods of cloning as laid out by this resolution and on anything regarding organ cloning;

11. Assigns the World Assembly Scientific Programme the duties of overlooking cloning for biomedical research and use to ensure their accordance with this resolution and the promotion of the sharing of cloning technology.

The Cloning Conventions

Aware that many nations with biological engineering have the ability to clone organisms;

In awe of the vast potential biological clones have to improve the society & livelihood of their respective nations;

Resolute in the belief that certain precautions must be exercised in regards to biological cloning;

1. Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical or a genetically altered, artificially produced copy of a single naturally born individual, the originator;

1. Defines organ cloning as artificially creating a genetically identical or a genetically altered organ from an originator’s genetic information;

2. Excludes, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as an offspring instead;

3. Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

4. Restricts all cloning to only be done by qualified biomedical personnel, or qualified veterinary personnel in collaboration with qualified biomedical personnel;

1. Restricts the cloning of sapient organisms only to originators who fully consent to being cloned;

5. Permits the cloning of unconscious, unfeeling organisms from sapient originators, where the clones themselves do not have any sapience and have been proven to not be in locked-in syndrome, for biomedical experimentation and use;

6. Bans the cloning of conscious, feeling organisms from sapient originators for biomedical experimentation and use, and of any cloning of any sapient originator if the medical professionals who clone cannot reliably confirm, with a high degree of confidence, that the clone is not suffering from locked-in syndrome or any related disability;

7. Reserves for all sapient clones the right to know the origin of their genetic material at their national legal age of consent unless the clonal parent requests otherwise;

8. Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they do not cause harm to sapient organisms;

10. Reserves for all WA member-states the right to legislate on the legal methods of cloning as laid out by this resolution and on anything regarding organ cloning;

11. Assigns the World Assembly Scientific Programme the duties of overlooking cloning for biomedical research and use to ensure their accordance with this resolution and the promotion of the sharing of cloning technology.

The Cloning Conventions

The General Assembly,

Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical or a genetically altered, artificially produced copy of a single naturally born individual, the originator;

Defines organ cloning as artificially creating a genetically identical or a genetically altered organ from an originator’s genetic information;

Excludes
, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as an offspring instead;

Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

Restricts all cloning to only be done by qualified biomedical personnel, or qualified veterinary personnel in collaboration with qualified biomedical personnel;

Restricts the cloning of sapient organisms only to originators who fully consent to being cloned;

Permits the cloning of unconscious, unfeeling organisms from sapient originators, where the clones themselves do not have any sapience and have been proven to not be in locked-in syndrome, for biomedical experimentation and use;

Bans the cloning of conscious, feeling organisms from sapient originators for biomedical experimentation and use, and of any cloning of any sapient originator if the medical professionals who clone cannot reliably confirm, with a high degree of confidence, that the clone is not suffering from locked-in syndrome or any related disability;

Reserves for all sapient clones the right to know the origin of their genetic material at their national legal age of consent;

Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient;

Authorizes and actively encourages nations to share cloning technology;

Reserves for all WA member-states the right to legislate on the legal methods of cloning as laid out by this resolution and on anything regarding organ cloning;

Assigns to the World Assembly Scientific Programme the duties of overlooking cloning for biomedical research and use to ensure their accordance with this resolution and the promotion of the sharing of cloning technology.

This is simply the third, unchanged final draft from the previously failed proposal, which can be seen here. I plan to further develop this draft with the criticism received previously. Additional constructive criticism for this version is welcome.

Cloning should be banned excepting in research proposes
Economic position -0,10
Social position 3
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.
Card
Blueflarst seek the physical, psychical and spiritual evolution.
“The care of nature and the environment is of ultimate importance. We cannot prosper we cannot even survive without a healthy, viable ecosystem to support us.”
“Violence is not an unnatural thing. It is the normal state of being.”
“Our game is a long game. We do not plan for the next year, or the next ten years, or the next budget cycle. We plan for eternity.”
"Knights are noble warriors that fight for right, not for personal gain. "
I am a spirit have a soul and own a body

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:12 am

OOC
You know about the well-established [in RL] method of propagating various cultivated plants from 'cuttings''? Technically speaking, those are clones...
Last edited by Bears Armed on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Falcania
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Falcania » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:21 am

Blueflarst wrote:
La Navasse wrote:

The Cloning Conventions

1. Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical, artificially produced copy of a single individual, the originator;

1. Defines a clone that is genetically altered not to great extent as a clone as defined in this resolution;

2. Excludes, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as offspring instead;

The Cloning Conventions

1. Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical or a genetically altered, artificially produced copy of a single naturally born individual, the originator;

1. Defines organ cloning as artificially creating a genetically identical or a genetically altered organ from an originator’s genetic information;

2. Excludes, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as an offspring instead;

8. Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient provided that they do not cause harm to sapient organisms;

The Cloning Conventions

The General Assembly,

Defines a clone for any organism as a genetically identical or a genetically altered, artificially produced copy of a single naturally born individual, the originator;

Defines organ cloning as artificially creating a genetically identical or a genetically altered organ from an originator’s genetic information;

Excludes
, for the purposes of this resolution, any artificially produced but genetically identical or genetically altered copy of any originator that can asexually reproduce for the intentions of having offspring, the naturally reproduced descendant of an originator, due to an inability to realistically naturally reproduce asexually or sexually, from being defined as a clone, and defines them as an offspring instead;

Grants all clones the same rights as their originator’s species, regardless of any disabilities resulting from a failed cloning;

Restricts all cloning to only be done by qualified biomedical personnel, or qualified veterinary personnel in collaboration with qualified biomedical personnel;

Restricts the cloning of sapient organisms only to originators who fully consent to being cloned;

Permits the cloning of unconscious, unfeeling organisms from sapient originators, where the clones themselves do not have any sapience and have been proven to not be in locked-in syndrome, for biomedical experimentation and use;

Bans the cloning of conscious, feeling organisms from sapient originators for biomedical experimentation and use, and of any cloning of any sapient originator if the medical professionals who clone cannot reliably confirm, with a high degree of confidence, that the clone is not suffering from locked-in syndrome or any related disability;

Reserves for all sapient clones the right to know the origin of their genetic material at their national legal age of consent;

Allows the cloning of any organism that is not sapient;

Authorizes and actively encourages nations to share cloning technology;

Reserves for all WA member-states the right to legislate on the legal methods of cloning as laid out by this resolution and on anything regarding organ cloning;

Assigns to the World Assembly Scientific Programme the duties of overlooking cloning for biomedical research and use to ensure their accordance with this resolution and the promotion of the sharing of cloning technology.

This is simply the third, unchanged final draft from the previously failed proposal, which can be seen here. I plan to further develop this draft with the criticism received previously. Additional constructive criticism for this version is welcome.

Cloning should be banned excepting in research proposes

Why?
II & Sports: The Free Kingdom of Falcania, Jayla, New Nestia, and Realms Otherwise Beneath the Skies

World Assembly: Ser Jeine Wilhelmsen on behalf of Queen Falcon IV, representing the Free Kingdom and the ancient and great region of Atlantian Oceania

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 am

“I’m unable to fully understand the idea of clauses 1 and 1a. You appear to have two separate definitions for a ‘clone’, one of which is rather recursive. If 1a is merely meant to elaborate on 1, then I see no reason to have it as a separate subclause, likewise, if it is supposed to clear up an ambiguity, either make the original definition less ambiguos or have it as a separate, clarifying clause.”
My pronouns are he/him.

Blueflarst
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 25, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Blueflarst » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Falcania wrote:
Blueflarst wrote:Cloning should be banned excepting in research proposes

Why?

Imagine clones killing people and occuping his lifes such distopia has to be avoided
Economic position -0,10
Social position 3
[_★_]_[' ]_
( -_-) (-_Q) If you understand that both Capitalism and Socialism have ideas that deserve merit, put this in your signature.
Card
Blueflarst seek the physical, psychical and spiritual evolution.
“The care of nature and the environment is of ultimate importance. We cannot prosper we cannot even survive without a healthy, viable ecosystem to support us.”
“Violence is not an unnatural thing. It is the normal state of being.”
“Our game is a long game. We do not plan for the next year, or the next ten years, or the next budget cycle. We plan for eternity.”
"Knights are noble warriors that fight for right, not for personal gain. "
I am a spirit have a soul and own a body

Separatist Peoples
GA Secretariat

Founded: Feb 17, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Separatist Peoples » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:19 pm

Blueflarst wrote:
Falcania wrote:
Why?

Imagine clones killing people and occuping his lifes such distopia has to be avoided

"That isnt how cloning works, ambassador."

His Worshipfulness, the Most Unscrupulous, Plainly Deceitful, Dissembling, Strategicly Calculating Lord GA Secretariat, Authority on All Existence, Arbiter of Right, Toxic Globalist Dog, Dark Psychic Vampire, and Chief Populist Elitist!
Separatist Peoples should RESIGN!

Jutsa
Negotiator

Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:26 pm

OOC: @Araraukar: Ah, found one. It doesn't protect all animals, but it protects sapient life forms*.

#355, which funnily enough is the number of the issue with wood-eating spikeballs.
Last edited by Jutsa on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Galactic Liberal Democracy
Minister

Founded: Jun 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Galactic Liberal Democracy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Against
NOT STORMTROOPERS
Cossack Khanate wrote:This shall forever be known as World War Sh*t: Newark Aggression. Now if I see one more troop deployed, I will call on the force of all the Hindu gods to reverse time and wipe your race of the face of the planet. Cease.

The Black Party wrote:(TBP kamikaze's into all 99999999999 nukes before they hit our territory because we just have that many pilots ready to die for dah blak regime, we also counter-attack into your nation with our entire population of 45 million because this RP allows it.)

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:Galatic Liberal Democracy short-circuits all of NS with FACTS and LOGIC

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:32 am

Jutsa wrote:OOC: @Araraukar: Ah, found one. It doesn't protect all animals, but it protects sapient life forms*.

OOC: Only after they've been born. And the animals not having rights (not being allowed to extinct a harmless species isn't a right in the sense the proposal means it) was my point.

Caspian Settlement
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Transferring Authorship Identity; Addressing Concerns

Postby Caspian Settlement » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:26 pm

From here on out, I will be authoring this proposal as Cassett (Caspian Settlement), and permanently retiring the Lanav (La Navasse) name. I will also address all criticisms and suggestions shortly.
A Proud Patriotic Pacifican.
Seasoned WA Author. | GP Alignment: 2, 19 | Discord: Cassett#0940
Formerly known as La Navasse | IC: Caspian, OOC: Cassett (CAS-set)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives