NATION

PASSWORD

Washington 2017: The U.S. Political RP [CLOSED] OOC Pt. XI

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Federal States of Xathuecia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 19, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Granluras wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:Just an idea...not sure of state or if he would be a liberal/neocon Conservative. I welcome any suggestions.

(Image)

Character Information Sheet

NS Nation Name: Xath
Character Name: Mattis Arceneaux
Character Gender: Male
Character Age: 58
Character Height: 5'10''
Character Weight: 161
Character Position/Role/Job: Republican Senator
Appearance: (Image)
Character State of Origin: Louisiana
Character State of Residence: ???
Character Party Affiliation: Republican
Main Strengths: Effective fundraiser, Strong local connections, Very cunning, Often has a good sense of people and can read situations very well
Main Weaknesses: Eccentric, Can often act quiet peculiar, Often speaks with no general direction, Bad public orator, Often misquotes people and generally is very unconcerned with the issues at hand
Biography:

Other Info:

I have read and accept the rules of the roleplay: Xathuecia

Do Not Remove: 84721

I know a couple Louisianans, and based off of my glimpse into Louisianan local politics, I’d think he’d be a liberal conservative, and not a neocon.

I think a liberal conservative from Colorado might work. Or from CT.
| LAND OF THE FREE ||AMERICAN||POLITICAL|| RP || IS || UP! | - JOIN NOW!

Sanabel
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Virginia would be good for a Neocon too.
The interregnum is over- I am once again the OP of the Land of the Free RP

I am a Radical Centro-Transhumanist and a National Globalist.
If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Granluras
Minister

Founded: Feb 23, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Granluras » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:17 pm

Although, yeah. It might be interesting to see a neocon politician, especially if it’s one who tries to rally an anti-Reed, interventionist voting bloc for a state or federal campaign.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Ignore

Here

Character Name: Miles Arceneaux
Character Position/Role/Job: Republican Senator for Colorado (2016-Present)
Appearance: Image
Character State of Residence: Colorado
Main Strengths: Effective fundraiser, Strong local connections, Very cunning, Often has a good sense of people and can read situations very well
Main Weaknesses: Eccentric, Can often act quiet peculiar, Often speaks with no general direction, Bad public orator, Often misquotes people and generally is very unconcerned with the issues at hand
Biography: Miles Arceneaux was a fairly interesting child, having at one point being considered simply stupid by his parents. They saw a lack of headstrong attitude and common sense as they saw in his older brothers. But Miles hardly ever allowed this to affect him. Simply brushing off these critiques without much fanfare, he continued on a path of quite exotic and eccentric realities. He once decided to speak in an English accent for a week before demanding that he called 'sir' by his teachers and friends. His dad believed him destined for the mental asylum but his mother believed he was instead gifted, unable to express his true genius. So they sent him to a private school.

There, he came intertwined with the rich and he befriended Thomas Vanderbilt, a playboy and wild boy. While there were rumors that Miles and Thomas were more than friends, both claimed they simply were best friends. It helped Miles find direction in life and he settled he wanted to become a lawyer with Thomas. Both applied to several ivy league schools and with Thomas' reputation and Miles' uniqueness, they both attended Yale University. It was here where the pair began to drift apart, as Miles felt overwhelmed by the whole concept of law school and business. Instead, he sought refuge in the English Department and other humanities.

He became enthralled with these new fields and soon switched to a major in the English language and ancient Western history. He soon pursued a more social life, going out to parties and becoming more involved with women...and men rumor had it. But with little potential, he decided to follow a girl to Colorado and became an English teacher. He taught for about six years before deciding to return for a Ph.D in Philosophy. at the University of California, Berkeley. He became partly overwhelmed by the culture and surrounded by philosophy students, he became disillusioned with certain liberal attitudes.

He rapidly became an advocate for what he called a return to classical philosophy, not dominated by liberal or radical ideas but a more conservative, balanced approach. He spoke greatly on classical liberalism and the need for a slow but effective system of politics and even democracy. His values have evolved since then but he found little hope in remaining in the West. So once he finished his work, he returned to work as an assistant professor at Colorado College for six years, before turning to be a full professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder. That is where he has been to this day.

For nearly 18 years, he has worked there, becoming the chair of the Philosophy Department in 2010. He helped expand programs there and become famous for his numerous lectures. He helped lead the effort to publish open source materials and papers, being a pioneer for the freedom of information. He continued to argue for the need of people to relax in their attitudes of politics and was an often cited researcher in polarization and philosophy. He was tapped by an official from the Colorado Republican Party to pursue a run after the current candidates were deemed too conservative to be electable in the state.

He joined the race rather late in the season, advocating for renewable energy, allowing states to have the ability to maintain their policies, showing his support for marijuana legalization, and demanding immigration reform. He remained quieter on gun regulations and after support from GOP officials, won their endorsement despite showing distaste for the topic. He won the nomination in a hotly contested convention but won after polling showing he had a stronger chance in the general as opposed to his more conservative opponent. His victory began with a message where he stressed bipartisanship and representing the values of Colorado and ensuring the state could act as it wished.

The general election was strongly favored for the Green candidate but it was a failure with the Democrats nominating a fiery young woman. The two parties fought back and forth, leading to many public comments on the entire election being too partisan and downright dirty. Both parties poured money into the race but Miles remained a close third due to his connections within the state Nonetheless, his local style of campaigning focused on a few big rallies and more canvassing and handshaking made him appear a far more down to earth candidate, spending whole days in towns in the lead up to the election. He also helped rally local officials, from across the aisle, to support him as the only respectable and honorable candidate.

On Election Night, he pulled a victory of 44% with the remaining shares divided between the Progressives and Democrats. It was seen as a clear example of ticket splitting and Miles gave a rather uneventful victory speech. He has remained rather quiet during the lame duck period and has made many unique votes during his time in the Senate. He is seen as a potential swing vote on certain issues and an oddball of the party.

Votes: Aye for the U.S. Rail System (hoped to support transportation and infrastructure)
Aye for Intelligent Design (as a previous professor, did not want to limit education)
Aye for Balanced Budget (party vote)
Aye for Dudley Tax (will help reverse the effects of climate change)
Aye for Minuteman (party vote)
Nay for the Preservation of Marriage Act (Congress is being the Judicial, rights of Colorado’s people)
Aye for Amendment to Restore Citizen Legislators (party vote)

Other Info: Avid fan of comedy shows, Vegetarian, Promiscuous when younger

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Xathuecia

Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:37 pm

Seems like another rebel, not a Neocon or anything like that

If you don't have a high enough IQ to know what those are, then we can't be friends.

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Sanabel wrote:Seems like another rebel, not a Neocon or anything like that

I went with Liberal Conservative.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Sanabel wrote:Seems like another rebel, not a Neocon or anything like that

I went with Liberal Conservative.

We have a disproportionate amount already though

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Sanabel wrote:
Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:I went with Liberal Conservative.

We have a disproportionate amount already though

I suppose so...perhaps NeoCon would be better.

The eccentric personality and background will be maintained though.

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I think I should make Harrington white bread and lacking in personality- not eccentric

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Revised

Character Name: Miles Arceneaux
Character Position/Role/Job: Republican Senator for Kansas (2016-Present)
Appearance: Image
Character State of Residence: Kansas
Biography: Miles Arceneaux was a fairly interesting child, having at one point being considered simply stupid by his parents. They saw a lack of headstrong attitude and common sense as they saw in his older brothers. But Miles hardly ever allowed this to affect him. Simply brushing off these critiques without much fanfare, he continued on a path of quite exotic and eccentric realities. He once decided to speak in an English accent for a week before demanding that he called 'sir' by his teachers and friends. His dad believed him destined for the mental asylum but his mother believed he was instead gifted, unable to express his true genius. So they sent him to a private school.

There, he came intertwined with the rich and he befriended Thomas Vanderbilt, a playboy and wild boy. While there were rumors that Miles and Thomas were more than friends, both claimed they simply were best friends. It helped Miles find direction in life and he settled he wanted to become a lawyer with Thomas. Both applied to several ivy league schools and with Thomas' reputation and Miles' uniqueness, they both attended Yale University. It was here where the pair began to drift apart, as Miles felt overwhelmed by the whole concept of law school and business. Instead, he sought refuge in the English Department and other humanities.

He became enthralled with these new fields and soon switched to a major in the English language and ancient Western history. He soon pursued a more social life, going out to parties and becoming more involved with women...and men rumor had it. But with little potential, he decided to follow a girl to Kansas and became an English teacher. He taught for about six years before deciding to return for a Ph.D. in Philosophy. at the University of California, Berkeley. He became partly overwhelmed by the culture and surrounded by philosophy students, he became disillusioned with certain liberal attitudes.

He rapidly became an advocate for what he called a return to classical philosophy, not dominated by liberal or radical ideas but a more conservative, balanced approach. He spoke greatly on classical liberalism and the need for a slow but effective system of politics and even democracy. His values have evolved since then but he found little hope in remaining in the West. So once he finished his work, he returned to work as an assistant professor at Colorado College for six years, before turning to be a full professor at the University of Kansas. That is where he has been to this day.

For nearly 18 years, he has worked there, becoming the chair of the Philosophy Department in 2010. He helped expand programs there and become famous for his numerous lectures. He helped lead the effort to publish open source materials and papers, being a pioneer for the freedom of information. He continued to argue for the need of people to relax in their attitudes of politics and was an often cited researcher in polarization and philosophy. He became a somewhat figure among neoconservatives with his book, the Philosophy of American Exceptionalism, deemed an anthem of the ideas of social conservatism and foundation of American interventionism. He was tapped by an official from the Kansas Republican Party to pursue a run after the current candidates were deemed too anti-establishmentarian to be electable in the state.

He joined the race rather late in the season, advocating for protecting energy sector jobs, allowing states to have the ability to maintain their policies and provide the best solutions, showing his support for new ways to tackle crime, and demanding farming reform. He became vocal on gun regulations and after support from GOP officials, won the NRA endorsement early on despite having a personal distaste for the topic. He won the nomination in a hotly contested convention but won after polling showing he had a stronger chance in the general as opposed to his opponent. His victory began with a message where he stressed working with the President and representing the values of Kansas and ensuring the state could act as it wished and its values promoted across the country.

The general election was strongly favored him though the Democrat made notable rises in the polls, but was limited by a fairly lowkey Progressive candidate. Miles helped fundraise effectively though, and with the party's help, outspend and outraised his opponents. Nonetheless, his local style of campaigning focused on a few big rallies due to his bad public oration and more canvassing and handshaking made him appear a far more down to earth candidate, spending whole days in towns in the lead up to the election. He also helped rally local officials, from across the aisle, to support him as the only respectable and honorable candidate after the Democrat made a few wrong statements. He also stayed out of the public eye towards the end of the race to avoid saying anything controversial, given his misspeakings.

On Election Night, he pulled a victory of 61% with the remaining shares divided between the Progressives and Democrats, who earned the second most votes. It was seen as a clear example of ticket splitting against Progressives and Miles gave a rather uneventful victory speech. He has remained rather quiet during the lame duck period and has made many unique votes during his time in the Senate. He is seen as an eccentric Senator but remains as a potential staple neoconservative with certain elements of the Tea Party movement's sentiments on taxation.

Votes: Nay for the U.S. Rail System (cost to the taxpayer to support foolish transportation endeavor)
Aye for Intelligent Design (as a previous professor, did not want to limit education)
Aye for Balanced Budget (party vote, personally hopes it does not pass in states)
Nay for Dudley Tax (unnecessary tax, good intentions but too much)
Aye for Minuteman (party vote)
Nay for the Preservation of Marriage Act (Congress is being the Judicial)
Aye for Amendment to Restore Citizen Legislators (party vote)

Other Info: Avid fan of comedy shows, Vegetarian, Promiscuous when younger

I have read and accepted the rules of the roleplay: Xathuecia

Last edited by Federal States of Xathuecia on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Besides the adding another rebel thing I think it's probably better to stick with your seven active characters
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal States of Xathuecia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:Besides the adding another rebel thing I think it's probably better to stick with your seven active characters

Awww, sad :(

Tallahassee News Station
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tallahassee News Station » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Curious OOC, what is Schlang's no tax infrastructure bit? The weed tax I'm guessing?
Proud Co-OP of the 2016 Washington Political RP

PRO oppression, hate speech, robbing from the poor and giving to the rich, outsourcing jobs, unemployment, career politicians, pollution, pineapple on pizza

ANTI equality, free speech, pursuit of happiness, quality education, freedom, charity, prosperity, puppies and kittens

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:08 pm

Tallahassee News Station wrote:Curious OOC, what is Schlang's no tax infrastructure bit? The weed tax I'm guessing?

Bingo

Sanabel
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanabel » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 pm

'Sippi didn't ratify the 19th Ammendment until 1984.

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Sanabel wrote:'Sippi didn't ratify the 19th Ammendment until 1984.

Sippi ratified the 13th in 2013, ITL Williams kept "losing" the paperwork and thus is still not ratified
Last edited by Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

Jovuistan
Senator

Founded: May 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Jovuistan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Federal States of Xathuecia wrote:
Tallahassee News Station wrote:Besides the adding another rebel thing I think it's probably better to stick with your seven active characters

Awww, sad :(

Gimme
Die nasty!!111

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:00 am

"The Office of Legislative Services, a nonpartisan Statehouse bureau that assists with crafting and studying legislation, estimates that New Jersey would bring in a little over $210 million in state taxes from nearly $1.8 billion in annual marijuana sales, according to its fiscal impact study of the legal weed bill."

The cost of transportation maintenance is >$1Bn in the State of New Jersey, and building maintenance is around the same amount. So it would be pretty economic to use a majority of marijuana tax revenue to alleviate infrastructure costs. And that's my opinion as an average citizen of dis FUCKING FUCKED UP state.
Last edited by Granluras on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 am

I’d like for my characters to release their tax returns but I don’t want to write them up because taxes are complicated. Can I make a statement saying “I have released my tax returns you can see them on my website?”

Latvijas Otra Republika
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Latvijas Otra Republika » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 am

Dentali wrote:I’d like for my characters to release their tax returns but I don’t want to write them up because taxes are complicated. Can I make a statement saying “I have released my tax returns you can see them on my website?”

That is.. a tad boring.
Free Navalny, Back Gobzems

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:27 am

Latvijas Otra Republika wrote:
Dentali wrote:I’d like for my characters to release their tax returns but I don’t want to write them up because taxes are complicated. Can I make a statement saying “I have released my tax returns you can see them on my website?”

That is.. a tad boring.

Yea but it’s realistic especially for Glen who has quite a bit of wealth

Granluras
Minister

Postby Granluras » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:16 am

on the topic of income, ive been eyeing a future plan which entails Jared donating his gubernatorial salary to children charities as a rebuke to the people saying he's ""sucking from the taxpayers"". is that a feasible plan and one which might work out for the best?
Reminiscence

est. 2018

Meelducan
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 24, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Meelducan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 am

Boy did I have a crazy week.

I'll be posting something soon.
Marianne 2024:
America's First Healer-In-Chief

Sanabel wrote:SHut the fuck up, Meel is epic

Dentali
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dentali » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:36 am

Granluras wrote:on the topic of income, ive been eyeing a future plan which entails Jared donating his gubernatorial salary to children charities as a rebuke to the people saying he's ""sucking from the taxpayers"". is that a feasible plan and one which might work out for the best?

Glen will hit him for doing what Anderson already pledged to do

Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Democratic Peoples republic of Kelvinsi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:53 am

TIL that Ronald Reagan was a union leader

"The worst form of inequality is to make unequal things equal."
-Aristotle
"Even the striving for equality by means of a directed economy can result only in an officially enforced inequality - an authoritarian determination of the status of each individual in the new hierarchical order. "-Friedrich August von Hayek
Political Compass
Economic:3.88
Social:1.40

Tory Blue to the Core(Leans Democrat in the US though)
What have we done...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse