NATION

PASSWORD

Why do/don't you believe in a higher power? (Any HP)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:13 am

Ifreann wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The problem is made even more convoluted when people who have escaped the Matrix/closet go back into the Matrix/closet for brief periods...

But they're only going back in the closet to get more people out of the closet, until they find the One who can dismantle the closet forever!

All while being pursued by the agents of drab and inhibition, who hunt the forces of fabulousness relentlessly.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Ifreann wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:The problem is made even more convoluted when people who have escaped the Matrix/closet go back into the Matrix/closet for brief periods...

But they're only going back in the closet to get more people out of the closet, until they find the One who can dismantle the closet forever!

A carpenter maybe?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Texanese United Union
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 06, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Texanese United Union » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm

The blAAtschApen wrote:
Ifreann wrote:But they're only going back in the closet to get more people out of the closet, until they find the One who can dismantle the closet forever!

A carpenter maybe?

I got to ask: Do you wanna hear the truth or a lie ? It will decide what I say.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Sneudal wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:
I try not to be a total dickhead in life because it is the right thing to do.

Also, being a total dickhead all the time is a lot of effort. I'm lazy.

That what is considered right and wrong mostly come from religion, you do realize that right?

Being a dickhead is indeed a lot of effort, though so is being nice all the time i guess. Better be kind to those who need or earned it, and be a dickhead when someone deserved it.

No it doesn't. It comes from evolutionary factors, and religion co-opts it and claims exclusivity after the fact.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Texanese United Union wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:
A carpenter maybe?

Wh...what? :meh:
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:43 pm

Texanese United Union wrote:
The blAAtschApen wrote:
A carpenter maybe?

If you got something to say, say it :P
The Blaatschapen should resign

Panem and Circensis
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Panem and Circensis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:45 pm

I don’t believe in God for the following reasons:

1. Let’s start off with the obvious: if there was an omniscient deity in the skies, we would have probably found such a person. Remember, all major religions were founded more than a thousand years before the Enlightenment and modern science. Heck, Christianity was founded 2,000 years ago. People learned washing your hands fought germs in the 19th century.

2. In all texts, this omniscient being demands the loyalty of humanity, so that they get a reserved spot in the clouds. If not, you get sent to a place of fire and torture. Why would any god need humanity’s unconditional fealty if they are all powerful and much more altruistic than the rest of us?

3. In all religious text, this deity is a benevolent figure. If this deity is so benevolent, then why were there so many wars, plagues, and famines. Today, there is repression, inequality both in income and in race, discrimination, murder, ignorance, disease, and bad things happening to good people. Why?

4. The very definition of death revolves around it being the end of your consciousness. Ergo, the idea of an afterlife is ludicrous, because then death doesn’t really exist.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm

One thing i dont get is why white people are less religious than minorities. Like you would expect the people with on average harder lives to have less faith in all loving god. As a puerto rican, this always baffled me.

Like ive had 18 friends murdered, suicide or OD, and you're still tryna tell me god is looking out for us? Tell God to do something already, kids are dying and my neighborhood is like Sudan. S.O.S. :shock:
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
That what is considered right and wrong mostly come from religion, you do realize that right?

Being a dickhead is indeed a lot of effort, though so is being nice all the time i guess. Better be kind to those who need or earned it, and be a dickhead when someone deserved it.

No it doesn't. It comes from evolutionary factors, and religion co-opts it and claims exclusivity after the fact.

Humans are social animals and for a grpup to survive, you cant have someone putting lives in dangr or starting conflicts, thats why it's wrong to be a dickhead
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Salandriagado wrote:
Sneudal wrote:

Humans are social animals and for a grpup to survive, you cant have someone putting lives in dangr or starting conflicts, thats why it's wrong to be a dickhead

Bienenhalde
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 11, 2017
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Bienenhalde » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:One thing i dont get is why white people are less religious than minorities. Like you would expect the people with on average harder lives to have less faith in all loving god. As a puerto rican, this always baffled me.

Like ive had 18 friends murdered, suicide or OD, and you're still tryna tell me god is looking out for us? Tell God to do something already, kids are dying and my neighborhood is like Sudan. S.O.S. :shock:

On the contrary, it seems that many people who have difficult lives turn to religion as a source of solace, while people who are materially wealthy and have things handed to them on a silver platter are more likely to be religiously apathetic. Of course, such trends do not hold true for all individuals.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:29 pm

Bienenhalde wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:One thing i dont get is why white people are less religious than minorities. Like you would expect the people with on average harder lives to have less faith in all loving god. As a puerto rican, this always baffled me.

On the contrary, it seems that many people who have difficult lives turn to religion as a source of solace, while people who are materially wealthy and have things handed to them on a silver platter are more likely to be religiously apathetic. Of course, such trends do not hold true for all individuals.

Rather than materialism, it’s more linked to education: those with more education are more likely to be wealthy, and atheist at the same time. Correlation =/= Causation. Give a poor person education for free and they’ll be as likely to become an atheist as the rich man with the same amount of education. It’s a case of C causes both A and B rather than A causing B. With the same fallacy, we could say that cigarettes cause cancer by physically existing.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Upper Ireland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 04, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Upper Ireland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:42 pm

I can't say I'm religious, but it does seem more likely than unlikely that a god exists based on reason.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:43 pm

Upper Ireland wrote:I can't say I'm religious, but it does seem more likely than unlikely that a god exists based on reason.

Why?

Wave on, wave on

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Upper Ireland wrote:I can't say I'm religious, but it does seem more likely than unlikely that a god exists based on reason.

Why?

I know this one ... nothing can come from nothing, everything has to have a beginning, uhm ... we don't know everything so it must be God. Oh, and flagellas and irreducible complexity. *nodnod*
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Upper Ireland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 04, 2019

Postby Upper Ireland » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Why?

I know this one ... nothing can come from nothing, everything has to have a beginning, uhm ... we don't know everything so it must be God. Oh, and flagellas and irreducible complexity. *nodnod*

That's quite a bit of it, I guess.

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Why?

I'd like to point out that even with God, you'd have trouble with the "first mover" problem. Like, who created God? Himself? How is that different from just accepting a universe without first motion, feels like religious folk are just adding an unnecessary step.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:27 pm

I don't believe in God because I have pollen allergies.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Valrifell wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I know this one ... nothing can come from nothing, everything has to have a beginning, uhm ... we don't know everything so it must be God. Oh, and flagellas and irreducible complexity. *nodnod*

I'd like to point out that even with God, you'd have trouble with the "first mover" problem. Like, who created God? Himself? How is that different from just accepting a universe without first motion, feels like religious folk are just adding an unnecessary step.

Logic only matters when it supports their claim.

For example, take that one poster that said omnipotence might allow god to bypass paradoxes. It must be nice, being able to hide behind the ramifications of a fictional property.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:22 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Valrifell wrote:

For example, take that one poster that said omnipotence might allow god to bypass paradoxes. It must be nice, being able to hide behind the ramifications of a fictional property.

Don't tell the president.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:26 pm

Myrensis wrote:I don't believe in God because I have pollen allergies.

Why would an altruistic, loving God makes flowers that smell nice and then arbitrarily make a portion of the population unable to smell those flowers? It's just cruel and inhumane.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Olthar wrote:
Myrensis wrote:I don't believe in God because I have pollen allergies.

Why would an altruistic, loving God makes flowers that smell nice and then arbitrarily make a portion of the population unable to smell those flowers? It's just cruel and inhumane.

And lower back pain. Fallen arches. "In his image ..." I bet God doesn't have body odor or gas.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Olthar wrote:Why would an altruistic, loving God makes flowers that smell nice and then arbitrarily make a portion of the population unable to smell those flowers? It's just cruel and inhumane.

And lower back pain. Fallen arches. "In his image ..." I bet God doesn't have body odor or gas.

I also doubt God ever had acne, and I'm sure he has a full head of hair.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:

Don't tell the president.

I’d say the damage has long been done...
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Augustus Legions
Envoy

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Legions » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 pm

god exists because my girlfriend breaking up with me and my sister marrying my other brother don't make no darn sense.
Eat ass, smoke grass, sled fast.
I'm not a Gnoblin, I'm not a Gnelf; I'm a Gnome, and you've been
GNOMED!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General