NATION

PASSWORD

E.U. Imposes Sanctions on Iran Over Assassination Plots

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trumptonium1
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trumptonium1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 am

Sneudal wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It isn't though. The two examples are like comparing apples and oranges. The military and economic circumstances in each are entirely different.

Both are completely unrelated though. It's about the message here, not the race and gender of the messenger.

Trumptonium1 wrote:
"Iran is no different from other countries even with their assassination plots"

Apparently we live in an alternate reality. Anyways, has anyone made a thread yet about the Swiss assassination attempt on the New Zealand Prime Minister over sheep wool competitiveness?

Ah yes, let's coincidentally forget about Israel, Russia, Saudi-Arabia, the U.S., the U.K., France etc. etc.

Oh yes please do tell me all about the assassination attempts the British and French governments have become known for over the last 50 years.
Preferred pronouns: His Majesty/Your Highness

https://www.bolsonaro.com.br/
Resident Non-Pumpkin Character

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
It is though, as his point was that Iran should just let it go. Same could be applied to the U.S.. Both suffered from terrorist attacks, and both didn't let it go and hunted down those responsible. Iran is no different from the U.S. in that regard.

It isn't though. The two examples are like comparing apples and oranges. The military and economic circumstances in each are entirely different.

Besides whataboutism is still an admission of guilt, not a defense.
The US also went to war with Afghanistan. Therefore the OP seems to be claiming Iran is at war with the EU, if he is claiming the situations are the same.
And then the EU should respond with military force against Iran.

Anyways there is no evidence these people are actual terrorists, instead of Iranian dissidents.

Also there are limits on what you can do and if you overstep those people get pissed.
Several countries are unhappy about some us anti terrorist actions.

So we have whataboutism, false equivalency and ignoring the fact that not only Iran gets pushback when it is seen as going too far.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Any evidence they where terrorists op?

Not that Iran has any high ground there.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Sneudal wrote:
The European Union penalized Iran on Tuesday over allegations that the country’s intelligence service orchestrated a series of assassination plots in Europe in recent years, including the killing of two Iranians in the Netherlands with ties to anti-government extremist groups.

In a letter outlining its justification for sanctions, the Dutch Foreign Ministry cited “strong indications that Iran was involved in the assassinations of two Dutch nationals of Iranian origin,” one in 2015 in the city of Almere and another in 2017 in The Hague.

European intelligence officials have also linked the Iranian government to unsuccessful plots in Denmark and France.

“In the Dutch government’s opinion, hostile acts of this kind flagrantly violate the sovereignty of the Netherlands and are unacceptable,” the letter said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/world/europe/iran-eu-sanctions.html
https://www.france24.com/en/20190109-eu-sanctions-iran-over-assassinations-peoples-mujahedeen-france-bomb-plot

What do you think of this? Do you think it is the right move of the E.U.?

Personally i don't think it's right. Ofcourse Iran wants justice done to them, and it knows very well that the E.U. won't extradite them due to the death penalty, and thus they choose to take them out in another way. Now surely assassinating other people on foreign soil (or home soil for that matter) is not okay, but what i find far worse is the fact that the E.U. is harboring, and now also effectively protecting well known terrorists.

So much for the vaunted EU independence when it comes to Iran, and the Iranian Nuclear Deal. When the US says "jump" the EU's only question continues to be "how high?"
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010

Postby Myrensis » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Sneudal wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Race and gender...? What on Earth are you talking about? :eyebrow:

Non-related things, just like you were doing.

No, he was pointing out that the US and Iran were and are in radically different positions, and that therefore their considerations for responding to things are different.

The US is..the US, Afghanistan had nothing it needed or wanted, had no allies of any note, and was completely inferior militarily and economically, so there was no real reason for the US not to kick the doors in and do what they want.

Iran very much needs and wants the restoration of trade and economic cooperation with Europe, cannot meaningfully threaten them militarily or economically in any way, and currently has an excellent opportunity for fostering relations given that the US unilaterally scrapped the nuclear deal and has been busy provoking Europe in other ways, so annoying them by carrying out assassinations within their borders, regardless of what the targets may have done, is a counter-productive move.

Frievolk
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
The European Union penalized Iran on Tuesday over allegations that the country’s intelligence service orchestrated a series of assassination plots in Europe in recent years, including the killing of two Iranians in the Netherlands with ties to anti-government extremist groups.

In a letter outlining its justification for sanctions, the Dutch Foreign Ministry cited “strong indications that Iran was involved in the assassinations of two Dutch nationals of Iranian origin,” one in 2015 in the city of Almere and another in 2017 in The Hague.

European intelligence officials have also linked the Iranian government to unsuccessful plots in Denmark and France.

“In the Dutch government’s opinion, hostile acts of this kind flagrantly violate the sovereignty of the Netherlands and are unacceptable,” the letter said.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190109-eu-sanctions-iran-over-assassinations-peoples-mujahedeen-france-bomb-plot

Personally i don't think it's right. Ofcourse Iran wants justice done to them, and it knows very well that the E.U. won't extradite them due to the death penalty, and thus they choose to take them out in another way. Now surely assassinating other people on foreign soil (or home soil for that matter) is not okay, but what i find far worse is the fact that the E.U. is harboring, and now also effectively protecting well known terrorists.

So much for the vaunted EU independence when it comes to Iran, and the Iranian Nuclear Deal. When the US says "jump" the EU's only question continues to be "how high?"

1- The EU hasn't opted out of Barjam
2- The EU putting Ettela'at in their list of terrorist organizations has jack-shit to do with Trump or the US and only to do with the fact Ettela'at has been assassinating the IRI's opposition-in-exile in Europe (ironically, almost consistently in Paris) since the 80s.
Last edited by Frievolk on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC
Libertarian Constitutionalist
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
♔ The Frievolker Empire || Frievolker Kaiserreik
♔ The Realm in the Sun || De Reik in de Sonne
♔ Led by Kaiser Johann, Part of the Erstwelt
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 pm

Oh great. Iran just made Trump look smart for once.

Thanks for that, Iran.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:32 am

Novus America wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:It isn't though. The two examples are like comparing apples and oranges. The military and economic circumstances in each are entirely different.

Besides whataboutism is still an admission of guilt, not a defense.
The US also went to war with Afghanistan. Therefore the OP seems to be claiming Iran is at war with the EU, if he is claiming the situations are the same.
And then the EU should respond with military force against Iran.

Anyways there is no evidence these people are actual terrorists, instead of Iranian dissidents.

Also there are limits on what you can do and if you overstep those people get pissed.
Several countries are unhappy about some us anti terrorist actions.

So we have whataboutism, false equivalency and ignoring the fact that not only Iran gets pushback when it is seen as going too far.

1) No? I see you completely miss the point as well.

2) Yes there is.

3) Wrong, Wrong and Wrong. Try again next time.

Sovaal wrote:Any evidence they where terrorists op?

Not that Iran has any high ground there.

Already mentioned it. The two assassinated in the Netherlands for example. One was the mastermind behind a terrorist attack in Iran that left 73 people dead and the other was the leader of a terrorist organisation in Iran.

Shofercia wrote:
Sneudal wrote:

Except that the E.U. has treated this entirely seperate from the nuclear deal.

Myrensis wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
Non-related things, just like you were doing.

No, he was pointing out that the US and Iran were and are in radically different positions, and that therefore their considerations for responding to things are different.

The US is..the US, Afghanistan had nothing it needed or wanted, had no allies of any note, and was completely inferior militarily and economically, so there was no real reason for the US not to kick the doors in and do what they want.

Iran very much needs and wants the restoration of trade and economic cooperation with Europe, cannot meaningfully threaten them militarily or economically in any way, and currently has an excellent opportunity for fostering relations given that the US unilaterally scrapped the nuclear deal and has been busy provoking Europe in other ways, so annoying them by carrying out assassinations within their borders, regardless of what the targets may have done, is a counter-productive move.

Please read up on the matter, just like they guy above, you're not the smartest one and are missing the point i made.

In response to your view: Iran has survived under sanctions before, and will do again if needed. There's no reason to let justice slide in favor of a few bucks from a Union that never had, and probably never will, have the balls to stand up for their own interests.

The Rich Port wrote:Oh great. Iran just made Trump look smart for once.

Thanks for that, Iran.

And how's that?

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

Trumptonium1 wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
Both are completely unrelated though. It's about the message here, not the race and gender of the messenger.

Ah yes, let's coincidentally forget about Israel, Russia, Saudi-Arabia, the U.S., the U.K., France etc. etc.

Oh yes please do tell me all about the assassination attempts the British and French governments have become known for over the last 50 years.

Two second search: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uk-russia-nerve-agent-attack-assassination-killing-sergei-skripal-a8297906.html

Or are you also one of those who thinks the Middle-East doesn't count?

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:45 am

Sneudal wrote:
Non-related things, just like you did.

I have no idea what you are trying to do here, but it clearly isn't working.

Good to know that you see the result of your comments so far.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:41 pm

Sneudal wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:

Two second search: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/uk-russia-nerve-agent-attack-assassination-killing-sergei-skripal-a8297906.html

That's the British alleging that the Russians carried out an assassination against an ex-spy whom the Russians had imprisoned, and then released in an exchange, and who's been out of the spy game for quite some time. For someone writing shit like just like they guy above, you're not the smartest one, you sure demonstrated your intelligence to the entire forum, by managing to confuse France and/or Britain with Russia. That'll show NSG, good job Sneudal! In case you missed it, that last sentence was sarcasm.

Sneudal wrote:
Non-related things, just like you did.

I have no idea what you are trying to do here, but it clearly isn't working.

Also, this ^

Sneudal wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I have no idea what you are trying to do here, but it clearly isn't working.

While NCR and I might disagree, NCR's comments have been effective on NSG on numerous occasions. But clearly, we're all just too "dumb" to properly grasp your "enlightenment" because it just shines so brightly.
Last edited by Shofercia on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Sneudal wrote:

That's the British alleging that the Russians carried out an assassination against an ex-spy whom the Russians had imprisoned, and then released in an exchange, and who's been out of the spy game for quite some time. For someone writing shit like just like they guy above, you're not the smartest one, you sure demonstrated your intelligence to the entire forum, by managing to confuse France and/or Britain with Russia. That'll show NSG, good job Sneudal! In case you missed it, that last sentence was sarcasm.

The New California Republic wrote:I have no idea what you are trying to do here, but it clearly isn't working.

Also, this ^

Sneudal wrote:

While NCR and I might disagree, NCR's comments have been effective on NSG on numerous occasions. But clearly, we're all just too "dumb" to properly grasp your "enlightenment" because it just shines so brightly.

1) From the article:
In Yemen and Pakistan, UK surveillance intelligence has been provided to US drone pilots to target suspects, sometimes based only on the location of a mobile phone, without even knowing who is holding it at the time. We at Reprieve assist a Yemeni man called Faisal bin Ali Jaber whose uncle and nephew, an anti-extremist preacher and a local law officer respectively, were killed by a US drone strike in 2012. They, like Yulia Skripal and DS Bailey, are parallel proof that, in addition to being immoral, an assassination programme is liable to kill the innocent and even the police.

There is apparently no limit to the right we assert to kill people without trial. For so long as we subscribe to this sordid business ourselves, the Kremlin will inevitably sneer at Boris Johnson’s bluster.

Please learn how to read before trying to act like a smartass.

2) Two people who aren't capable of reading are confused about words, how ironic.

3) Clearly you are. Good job on that self-reflection!

Izaakia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Izaakia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:29 pm

Iran is a state sponsor of terror groups anyway. Anything they say is terrorist we should basically ignore.
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Sir Winston Churchill

Frievolk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Izaakia wrote:Iran is a state sponsor of terror groups anyway. Anything they say is terrorist we should basically ignore.

Not where the Mujahideen is concerned, tbh. They're not wrong in suggesting the MeK are a terrorist organization. There's a fuckload of assassinated officials and blown up buses in the 80s that supports that statement.
OOC
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates
Never forget that the Muslims literally made up a new meaningless name for him when they forgot the name of Adam's Firstborn.

Izaakia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Izaakia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:12 pm

Frievolk wrote:
Izaakia wrote:Iran is a state sponsor of terror groups anyway. Anything they say is terrorist we should basically ignore.

Not where the Mujahideen is concerned, tbh. They're not wrong in suggesting the MeK are a terrorist organization. There's a fuckload of assassinated officials and blown up buses in the 80s that supports that statement.

One mans terroirst is another mans freedom fighter.
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. - Sir Winston Churchill

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Sneudal wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Also, this ^

1) From the article:
In Yemen and Pakistan, UK surveillance intelligence has been provided to US drone pilots to target suspects, sometimes based only on the location of a mobile phone, without even knowing who is holding it at the time. We at Reprieve assist a Yemeni man called Faisal bin Ali Jaber whose uncle and nephew, an anti-extremist preacher and a local law officer respectively, were killed by a US drone strike in 2012. They, like Yulia Skripal and DS Bailey, are parallel proof that, in addition to being immoral, an assassination programme is liable to kill the innocent and even the police.

There is apparently no limit to the right we assert to kill people without trial. For so long as we subscribe to this sordid business ourselves, the Kremlin will inevitably sneer at Boris Johnson’s bluster.

2) Two people who aren't capable of reading are confused about words, how ironic.

I never said that the UK/France don't kill people; I said that you failed to provide proof for that. And, once again, you failed. Nowhere in that article does it say that the UK actually killed the person. Rather, it says that the US killed said people. You've previously learned that Russia is neither the UK, nor France. Do you also realize that the US is also, neither the UK, nor France? Because, Sneudal, you seem to be quite confused about that. I should also point out that you didn't originally quote the paragraph. In order for words to be read, you actually have to post them. It's a complex concept, so I'll understand if it takes you a while to grasp it.

Izaakia
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Izaakia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
1) From the article:

I never said that the UK/France don't kill people; I said that you failed to provide proof for that. And, once again, you failed. Nowhere in that article does it say that the UK actually killed the person. Rather, it says that the US killed said people. You've previously learned that Russia is neither the UK, nor France. Do you also realize that the US is also, neither the UK, nor France? Because, Sneudal, you seem to be quite confused about that. I should also point out that you didn't originally quote the paragraph. In order for words to be read, you actually have to post them. It's a complex concept, so I'll understand if it takes you a while to grasp it.

Would like to point out that during the Syria conflict, the U.K. as a nation only accidentally killed one person who wasn’t a target. Which is a damn good rate for collateral damage. Maybe we’re the most moral bombers in the world.

Frievolk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Izaakia wrote:
Frievolk wrote:Not where the Mujahideen is concerned, tbh. They're not wrong in suggesting the MeK are a terrorist organization. There's a fuckload of assassinated officials and blown up buses in the 80s that supports that statement.

Not sure how much of a "freedom fighter" an Islamic Marxist can be.
OOC
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Frievolk wrote:
Izaakia wrote:

Not sure how much of a "freedom fighter" an Islamic Marxist can be.

Anti-freedom fighter, yeah...

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:14 pm

What Iran is doing is no different from what Israel did in the good old days, the 1970s until today. Lots of countries assassinate people for various reasons.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:53 am

Saiwania wrote:What Iran is doing is no different from what Israel did in the good old days, the 1970s until today. Lots of countries assassinate people for various reasons.

The name's Bond. Yasser Bond ;)

I wonder what Iranian agents drink instead of shaken vodka martinis...
Last edited by The Grims on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:07 am

Shofercia wrote:
Sneudal wrote:
1) From the article:

Oh, in that case we can safely say that Iran never killed or tried to kill anyone. After all, the assassinations weren't carried out by Iran itself, but Iran merely hired people to do it for them. Just like the UK let's the US do most of the dirty work.
Giving the info to the one doing the dirty work is pretty much the same as killing them yourself.

And why exactly should i quote that part? For your lazy ass i assume? Nah mate, you can use the extra reading.

The Grims wrote:
Saiwania wrote:What Iran is doing is no different from what Israel did in the good old days, the 1970s until today. Lots of countries assassinate people for various reasons.

The name's Bond. Yasser Bond ;)

I wonder what Iranian agents drink instead of shaken vodka martinis...

Shaken chai?

Lol, what a logic.

Izaakia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

Would like to point out that during the Syria conflict, the U.K. as a nation only accidentally killed one person who wasn’t a target. Which is a damn good rate for collateral damage. Maybe we’re the most moral bombers in the world.

Eh, it depends more on 1) What you consider collateral damage, and 2) Whether the collateral damage is confirmed.
Last edited by Sneudal on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havarland
Envoy

Founded: Nov 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Havarland » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:10 am

Frievolk wrote:
Trumptonium1 wrote:Is this the same EU who refused to join US pullout from the deal and said that Iran is a trustworthy nation intent on change?

Honestly, Iran fucked up a lot after Trump pulled out of Barjam.

Nah, Iran fucked up by becoming an Islamic country.

Sneudal
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sneudal » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Havarland wrote:
Frievolk wrote:Honestly, Iran fucked up a lot after Trump pulled out of Barjam.

Nah, Iran fucked up by becoming an Islamic country.

Nah, Iran fucked up when they didn't fight the US/UK backed coup in 1953.

Frievolk
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Frievolk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm

Sneudal wrote:
Havarland wrote:Nah, Iran fucked up by becoming an Islamic country.

Nah, Iran fucked up when they didn't fight the US/UK backed coup in 1953.

The majority supported the coup. They'd been trying to throw Mossadeq out of the office for weeks at that point.
OOC
Part-time Anarchist
Anti-Monotheist
Iranian Nationalist
Templates

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General