NATION

PASSWORD

Seize the Throne [Open/OOC/Fantasy]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 10, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:57 pm

The Twelve Isles wrote:
Ormata wrote:Right then will probably do a mage instead because fuck it.

Do we have anything down for magic mechanics?

It doesn't seem like it, so I just created my own mechanics for my character. A lot of it has to do with signing contracts with animals and spirits, and learning to control and focus magic.

Granted, my character is a summoner, so while that works out for one specific school of magic you might want to work something out for your own if you are doing something different.

I've only mentioned magic a little bit, but the Istmenn Companies employ magic in two different ways - Firstly, they have "charms", which are small objects imbued with magic that activate a specific effect when certain conditions are met. (For example, Captain Duncan has a small sharpened stick that, when he pricks his thumb with it, causes him to go into a fearless berserker-like state.) Secondly, there are dedicated mages, who I envisioned as being the equivalent of artillery pieces, repeatedly conjuring up fireballs or lightning to disrupt enemy formations.
Signatures are so 2014.

Sraelyn
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sraelyn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 pm

APPLICATION:

Name: Sir Aleksander Greifen, Gryphon Knight, heir to the Duchy of Pommersk and the lordship of Whitecliffe.
Sex: Male
Race: Human
Appearance: Image
Personality: Aleksander is an ambitious, cunning and pragmatic young man, he is very driven and can appear rather agressive in persuing his goals. Usually has a cold and stern demeanor on the outside, seeming quite cynical and honest to the point of rudeness. However he will turn humorous and warm with those close to him, showing his more idealistic and naive side, particularly in terms of romance and close relationships. Aleksander is distrusting of all non-human races and is somewhat of a chauvinist against those who aren't from the North-eastern regions of Terra.
Skills: Accomplished swordsman, skilled commander, decent sailor and excellent gryphon rider.
House: Heir of House Greifen
Loyalties: His loyalty is first and foremost towards his house, family and the duchy of Pommersk, and secondly towards the Empire itself. He will support a competent, human candidate, preferably someone that hails from the North-east and who offers the best opportunity to further his goals.
Biography:
The Duchy of Pommersk lies on the Eastern coast of Terra, slightly south of Artana and the domains of House Velira. It contains the Pommersk peninsula, which sprawls into the sea with the form of an open hand, and is mostly covered by hills, rivers and woods; as well as the Shrieking Peaks mountain range that separates the peninsula from the mainland.
The region was conquered nearly 2800 years ago by Wilhelm I Greifen, once a minor noble under the Velirian High Dukes. Wilhelm travelled along the eastern shore, crossing the Shrieking Peaks and taming the gryphons that lived there and gave the mountain range it's name. With this powerful new mounts he created the first of the famed Gryphon Knights, and used them to great effect defeating the local Jarl, a descendant of the Umirlings that had subjugated the native Pommerskians decades prior. After this he started the construction of Whitecliffe Castle, built into the eponymous mountain, the tallest of the Shrieking Peaks, and swore fealty to the Empire as the Duke of Pommersk, his descendants ruling ever since.

Aleksander was born to Duke Erik VII Greifen and his second wife, Duchess Anna of House Reinerst. He was raised with his siblings at Whitecliffe castle, the seat of House Greifen for generations, and is where he would start developing what would be a long lasting rivarly with his older half-brother, Henryk, the heir to the duchy and born to the dukes first wife.
Henryk was a charming, kind and brave young man, as well as an accomplished knight and statesman, known throughout Pommersk as "The Golden Gryphon", seemingly the perfect son and heir. However the dukes blessing felt like a curse to Aleksander who grew under the everpresent shadow of Henryk, always being bested by him, even for the dukes afection. This greatly soured the relation between Aleksander and his father as he felt he simply could not compete, instead taking refuge with his mother with whom he was very close and rather similar, both in appearance and personality, as he became cold and distant to strangers and people that he deemed particularly different to him.

To reduce tension at home and to remove any possibility of a future succesion dispute, Aleksander became a squire at the age of 14, recieving a gryphon hatchling which he would tame to one day become a Gryphon Knight. During the next 7 years he bonded with his growing mount, named Voorska, while he squired for his uncle Ulrin Reinerst. It was his uncle that instiled his great sense of pride in being Pommerskian, while telling cautionary tales of dwarves, lizardfolk and all the other races that were uncommon in Pommersk, due to it's general isolation and wariness towards foreigners among the populace, yet were subjected by humans and a normal occurrence in other areas of the empire. At the age of 21 he was granted knighthood and together with a small entourage and his exotic mount, he wandered the peninsula and surrounding regions of Gaia, gathering treasure and renown, while he made a name for himself purging the hinterlands of both bandits and beats.

However, things would change a few months ago as he was suddenly recalled to his families estate. Henryk apparently died in a mysterious hunting accident, which left the duke devastated, who became deeply depressed, his health rapidly deteriorating, and leaving Alexander as the heir of House Greifen. Furthermore, now he is being summoned to the Imperial City in representation of his father, regarding the succesion of the late Empress Artemis II. Hopefully the young knight will be able to surpass Henryk's shadow.

RP Example:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=450974 viewtopic.php?f=31&t=455125
I've only been in these two rp's as im kinda new to NS
#SeizeTheThrone
Last edited by Sraelyn on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
That God's name is Abraxas

Union Princes
Senator

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Sraelyn wrote:
APPLICATION:

Name: Sir Aleksander Greifen, Gryphon Knight, heir to the Duchy of Pommersk and the lordship of Whitecliffe.
Appearance: (Image)
Personality: Aleksander is an ambitious, cunning and pragmatic young man, he is very driven and can appear rather agressive in persuing his goals. Usually has a cold and stern demeanor on the outside, seeming quite cynical and honest to the point of rudeness. However he will turn humorous and warm with those close to him, showing his more idealistic and naive side, particularly in terms of romance and close relationships. Aleksander has a severe distrust of all non-human races and is somewhat of a chauvinist against those who aren't from the North-eastern regions of Terra.
Skills: Accomplished swordsman, skilled commander, decent sailor and excellent gryphon rider.
Loyalties: His loyalty is first and foremost towards his house, family and the duchy of Pommersk, and secondly towards the Empire itself. He will support a competent, human candidate, preferably someone that hails from the North-east and who offers the best opportunity to further his goals.
Biography:
The Duchy of Pommersk lies on the Eastern coast of Terra, slightly south of Artana and the domains of House Velira. It contains the Pommersk peninsula, which sprawls into the sea with the form of an open hand, and is mostly covered by hills, rivers and woods; as well as the Shrieking Peaks mountain range that separates the peninsula from the mainland.
The region was conquered nearly 2800 years ago by Wilhelm I Greifen, once a minor noble under the Velirian High Dukes. Wilhelm travelled along the eastern shore, crossing the Shrieking Peaks and taming the gryphons that lived there and gave the mountain range it's name. With this powerful new mounts he created the first of the famed Gryphon Knights, and used them to great effect defeating the local Jarl, a descendant of the Umirlings that had subjugated the native Pommerskians decades prior. After this he started the construction of Whitecliffe Castle, built into the eponymous mountain, the tallest of the Shrieking Peaks, and swore fealty to the Empire as the Duke of Pommersk, his descendants ruling ever since.

Aleksander was born to Duke Erik VII Greifen and his second wife, Duchess Anna of House Reinerst. He was raised with his siblings at Whitecliffe castle, the seat of House Greifen for generations, and is where he would start developing what would be a long lasting rivarly with his older half-brother, Henryk, the heir to the duchy and born to the dukes first wife.
Henryk was a charming, kind and brave young man, as well as an accomplished knight and statesman, known throughout Pommersk as "The Golden Gryphon", seemingly the perfect son and heir. However the dukes blessing felt like a curse to Aleksander who grew under the everpresent shadow of Henryk, always being bested by him, even for the dukes afection. This greatly soured the relation between Aleksander and his father as he felt he simply could not compete, instead taking refuge with his mother, with whom he was very close and rather similar, both in appearance and personality.

To reduce tension at home and to remove any possibility of a future succesion dispute, Aleksander became a squire at the age of 14 under his uncle's tutelage, recieving a gryphon hatchling which he would tame to one day become a Gryphon Knight. At the age of 21 he was granted knighthood and together with a small entourage and his exotic mount, he wandered the peninsula and surrounding regions of Gaia, gathering treasure and renown, while he made a name for himself purging the hinterlands of both bandits and beats.

However, things would change a few months ago as he was suddenly recalled to his families estate. Henryk apparently died in a mysterious hunting accident, which left the duke devastated, who became deeply depressed, his health rapidly deteriorating, and leaving Alexander as the heir of House Greifen. Furthermore, now he is being summoned to the Imperial City in representation of his father, regarding the succesion of the late Empress Artemis II. Hopefully the young knight will be able to surpass Henryk's shadow.

RP Example:
#SeizeTheThrone

Hey, a duke character but you haven't given an explanation why he hates non-human races.
There is no such thing as peace, only truce between wars

Sraelyn
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sraelyn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 am

Union Princes wrote:
Sraelyn wrote:
Snip

Hey, a duke character but you haven't given an explanation why he hates non-human races.

Edited it accordingly
He doesn't HATE them, he distrusts most strangers, more so with those he feels are particularly different that him. Pommorskians in general are just not very fond of foreigners, but things can change.

Tasuirin
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 31, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Tasuirin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 am

Sraelyn wrote:
Union Princes wrote:

Edited it accordingly
He doesn't HATE them, he distrusts most strangers, more so with those he feels are particularly different that him. Pommorskians in general are just not very fond of foreigners, but things can change.

Bit of a shame, really :p

If he did hate non-humans, then he could have been a target of mine!
IC'ly, Tasuirin is:
An Absolute Monarchy, A Federal Monarchy, Neo-Feudalistic, Anti-Democratic, Mercantilist, Five Kingdoms, Ruled by One King
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ASEXUAL~ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ☭ ★ ☭ ★ ☭ ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ ATHEIST ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ CELTIC ⋅.} ──── ⊰
⊱ ──── {.⋅ AUSTRALIAN ⋅.} ──── ⊰

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:33 am

Ormata wrote:Right then will probably do a mage instead because fuck it.

Do we have anything down for magic mechanics?

Besides don't be OP not really, heck in the lore for the land my ice mage is from/rules over I am basically combining the concept of will power and prayers to the Gods to make the magic happen and generally act as artillery or manipulating the environment but a major act requires those prayers. Then there is of course trinkets and the like since I am playing this a bit like feudal space wolves but that is about it so I guess we are free to create our own systems for different types of spells since all VOID said was:

Yes, magic exists; no, that doesn't make you god. No necromancy, unless you want to attract the attention of Daemons who would surely murder you and possess your corpse for trying to steal souls from them - after all, no mortal is powerful enough to steal souls from the Heavens.

Sraelyn wrote:
APPLICATION:

Appearance: (Image)
Personality: Aleksander is an ambitious, cunning and pragmatic young man, he is very driven and can appear rather agressive in persuing his goals. Usually has a cold and stern demeanor on the outside, seeming quite cynical and honest to the point of rudeness. However he will turn humorous and warm with those close to him, showing his more idealistic and naive side, particularly in terms of romance and close relationships. Aleksander is distrusting of all non-human races and is somewhat of a chauvinist against those who aren't from the North-eastern regions of Terra.
Biography:

Henryk was a charming, kind and brave young man, as well as an accomplished knight and statesman, known throughout Pommersk as "The Golden Gryphon", seemingly the perfect son and heir. However the dukes blessing felt like a curse to Aleksander who grew under the everpresent shadow of Henryk, always being bested by him, even for the dukes afection. This greatly soured the relation between Aleksander and his father as he felt he simply could not compete, instead taking refuge with his mother with whom he was very close and rather similar, both in appearance and personality, as he became cold and distant to strangers and people that he deemed particularly different to him.

To reduce tension at home and to remove any possibility of a future succesion dispute, Aleksander became a squire at the age of 14, recieving a gryphon hatchling which he would tame to one day become a Gryphon Knight. During the next 7 years he bonded with his growing mount, named Voorska, while he squired for his uncle Ulrin Reinerst. It was his uncle that instiled his great sense of pride in being Pommerskian, while telling cautionary tales of dwarves, lizardfolk and all the other races that were uncommon in Pommersk, due to it's general isolation and wariness towards foreigners among the populace, yet were subjected by humans and a normal occurrence in other areas of the empire. At the age of 21 he was granted knighthood and together with a small entourage and his exotic mount, he wandered the peninsula and surrounding regions of Gaia, gathering treasure and renown, while he made a name for himself purging the hinterlands of both bandits and beats.

RP Example:
#SeizeTheThrone

Well I think our characters will get along just fine.

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:47 am

If your app isn't accepted yet, please repost them (unless they are on this page) and I'll review them ASAP. I'll also be posting in the IC, today.

Skarten
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 am

Hey V O I D, lemme ask

I've been doing this overview for my sub-state for some time, but i still have to ask if you're good with it. Essentially, we were one of the many continents on Gaia before the unification who had to deal with the daemonic cults. Then there's the kingdoms, civilizations, wars, etc, but the point is that at some time they're conquered by Terra, just to later discover they have an ridiculous amount of mineral reserves, most notably gold. My idea would be that the secluded sub-state would be the Empire's biggest source of gold and other metals, paying large tributes every year to the throne. I'm up for criticism, but i'd like to hear your opinion
Last edited by Skarten on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:12 am

Utceforp wrote:Finished my apps, and added three RP samples
Utceforp wrote:
APPLICATION:

Name: Brendan Blackhand, High King of the Artanni, the Blackhand, Earl of Galwood and the Southern Isles
Appearance:
Personality: Brendan is a quiet, reserved man. He is quite dour and cynical. When something upsets him, Brendan keeps quiet about it, but eventually his anger will grow and he will no longer be able to contain an outburst. Brendan refuses to involve himself in, or even observe, a fight, and is thus is derided in secret as a "craven" by most of the other members of the nobility. However, if he is in a truly life-threatening situation, he often flies into a mad rage that he cannot remember afterwards. He has several odd quirks, such as never being present at a feast while meat is being served, and refusing to speak of the Artanni civil war.
Skills: Skilled, if rusty, swordsman. A cool-headed leader in most situations. He has a sort of pithy, laconic charisma, even if he doesn't like talking much.
House: Clan Blackhand
Loyalties: Brendan, above all else, desires to not be dragged into a war. He utterly despises Lord Carnifex, but is unlikely to oppose him through force of arms unless there are no other options.
Biography: The Blackhands claim descent from Bjorn of the Black Hand, one of the sons of Umir the Lame, who is said to have had his left hand blackened by frostbite during a period of exile. As such, the Blackhands use a black left hand on a golden field as their heraldry. Originally a clan of little importance, the Blackhands were exiled from Artana after their lands were invaded by the Payles, then returned to claim the High Kingship with Terran support. In exchange for their aid, the Blackhands agreed to submit to Terran overlordship, but have remained autonomous de facto for most of their existence. The Blackhands rule from Breakwater Fort, a castle nestled between the mountains and the sea on Artana's southeastern coast.

Brendan was born to the future High King Bernard Blackhand and a woman named "Ellyn" who sold fish at a harbour near Breakwater Fort's harbour, the result of a youthful dalliance on his part before he was officially wed. High King Bernard would bring Brendan into his court, but at the behest of his first wife Brendan was mostly raised by nannies and away from his family. Though sickly as an infant, Brendan would soon grow into a strong young boy, deciding he wanted to squire under his father so he could eventually become a knight in his father's armies. Bernard, however, had begun to see Brendan as something of an embarrassment. While Bernard granted Brendan's wish to become a squire, he sent him to train under one of his knights far from Breakwater Fort, rather than under himself.

While Brendan lived at the edge of Blackhand territory, Bernard had trouble conceiving an heir born in wedlock. Like Brendan, all of Bernard's other children were born sickly, but unlike him they all died either in childbirth or within three years of life. Bernard's first wife died after her second stillbirth and fourth dead child, and his second produced only further dead children. Bernard was consumed by grief in the wake of these events, becoming known as "Bernard the Bereaved". He fell into a depression, ultimately throwing himself from Breakwater Fort's battlements into the sea, a few months after Brendan's fifteenth birthday. Not long after his death a document in Bernard's handwriting was found - Bernard had come to believe that his stillborn children were a curse placed on him for exiling Brendan, and to make up for this he had legitimized Brendan and named him his heir before committing suicide.

The Longtooths, Thorns, and various other minor clans disputed the document - They claimed Bernard had clearly been in unsound mind when he had written it, and in any case, it was not the right of the High King to unilaterally choose his own heir. This faction named Bernard's cousin Brynn the next High King and Chief of Clan Blackhand. However, Brendan had grown into quite the warrior, and much of the realm supported him when he declared his intent to press his claim, including the Ribbells, the Skinners, the Argosses, and the Vulnes. Artana descended into civil war.

After he marched east with his men, Brendan killed several Clan Chiefs who had aligned with Brynn, and lead the sieging and sacking of many towns. After a devastating loss, Brendan was forced to play dead in a pile of slain Blackhand soldiers, while soldiers loyal to Brynn dismembered the corpses to ensure they were truly dead. He avoid being killed through sheer luck, then escaped back to his camp to rally his army. After five long years of devastating war, the war turned in Brendan's favour, and he managed to besiege Breakwater Fort. Brendan did not personally lead the siege of the castle, leaving the task to his commanders. After the battle was one, one of Brendan's commanders presented him with the head of Brynn Blackhand impaled on a spear. Brendan had the commander stripped of his position, and had the head and body buried with honours. At the feast celebrating his victory a few days later, Brendan excused himself halfway through, retiring to his tent. He then refused to participate the tourney organized a few months later, causing rumours to spread that he was secretly a coward, and the man who had fought during the civil war was another man being paid to wear Brendan's armour.

Brendan stripped the Thorns and Longtooths of much of their land, keeping some for himself and granting some to the clans that had fought for him. For the past three decades Brendan has kept the peace in Artana, slowly rebuilding from the death and destruction caused by the war. However, with the death of Empress Artemis, he worries that Terra will fall into strife, and drag Artana back into chaos. Brendan has left Artana for the Imperial City to oversee the ascension of a new monarch, leaving his children and wife at Breakwater Fort.
RP Example:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=421433&p=32379190#p32379190
viewtopic.php?p=34647166#p34647166
viewtopic.php?p=28598332#p28598332
#SeizeTheThrone

Utceforp wrote:
The Istmenn Companies

The Artanni have a long and hallowed mercenary tradition, dating back to the early Umirling period. In those days, the blood of the people of Umir was strongest on the Eastern Isles, where the peasants still spoke the language Umir spoke, and fought using old Umirling tactics, such as axes, shield walls, and mind-altering magic. These islanders were renowned for their prowess as heavy infantry. and mercenaries from the isles were highly sought after by lords from mainland Artana. Eventually, as the islander mercenaries became more wealthy, they started plying their trade on Terra as well, serving as bodyguards and heavy infantry to northeastern families such as the Veliras, and sometimes even the Regines themselves. These warriors dubbed themselves "Istmenn", meaning "East Men" in their dialect. Eventually, humans and Wild Elves from mainland Artana began joining the companies as well, and the distinctly East Islander culture of the companies faded away, but their tactics, weaponry, and terminology remained.

Many of the modern Istmenn companies can trace their origins to the Artanni civil war 30 years ago. After the conclusion of the war, High King Brendan forcibly disbanded much of the disloyal clans' armies, leaving thousands of veteran soldiers with no clear source of income. These soldiers either joined the existing companies or founded new ones, and as a result the modern Istmenn have a decidedly poor view of Clan Blackhand.

A typical infantryman in an Istmenn company is armed with a sparth axe, a shorter bearded axe, a round shield made from wood and iron, and a unique magical artifact called a "Shield-Biter charm" that bolsters the user's courage and aggressiveness when the right incantation is used. The Istmenn also employ pikemen, archers, and powerful mages in smaller numbers.

Currently, the largest and wealthiest Istmenn company is the Red Company, founded by Hafdonnal Thorfinnson, a former retainer of Duncan the Elder and a veteran of the Artanni civil war. The Red Company's banner is three white spears on a red background, and their motto is "Sooner wound the wind."

APPLICATION:

Name: Captain Duncan Thorn of the Red Company
Appearance:
Personality: Hot-headed and obsessive, Duncan reacts poorly to anything he perceives as an attack on himself. Duncan is ambitious, seeking to prove himself in combat and life. He is filled with resentment towards the Blackhands and anyone he deems as collaborators with them. Otherwise though, he is friendly and likes to talk to people, and can be surprisingly self-deprecating at times.
Skills: Expert fighter with the two-handed axe or sword, handsome and charismatic
House: Clan Thorn, distant cousin and heir
Loyalties: Duncan wishes to supplant Clan Blackhand and declare himself High King. Anyone who can help him do this is someone he is willing to ally with.
Biography: Clan Thorn claims direct descent from Thorin Payle, who in turn claimed direct descent from Ivar the Pale, the eldest child of Umir the Lame. Clan Thorn's coat of arms is a silver songbird with its wings outstretched, with a black beak and talons, on a pale blue background. The Thorns controls about one sixth of Galwood, the former heartland of the Payles, from their seat of Briar Hill in southwestern Artana. Briar Hill is the largest city on Artana by a large margin, allowing the Thorns to "punch above their weight" in terms of wealth and population.

Duncan was born a year before the Artanni civil war ended, to Chief Duncan "the Elder" Thorn and his wife, Gruach Blackhand, the sister of Brynn Blackhand. At the conclusion of the war, Duncan the Elder was executed for his role in the rebellion. A distant cousin of Duncan's was installed as Chief of the Thorns, in order to prevent one branch of the clan from gaining too much power, but the younger Duncan was declared this cousin's heir.

As Duncan aged he became tired of Briar Hill, seeking adventure and battle. To satisfy this need, he joined the Red Company when he turned sixteen. Captain Hafdonnal Thorfinnson, leader of the Red Company, immediately took Duncan under his wing, as the man was an old Thorn loyalist. Hafdonnal was an angry man at heart, one who had held onto every indignity and humiliation he had suffered during and after the civil war. Hafdonnal saw a kindred spirit in Duncan, who had the same anger, and had even lost his father to King Brendan.

Hafdonnal secretly confessed to Duncan that he wanted to see a descendant of Ivar the Pale as High King once again. The boy, who had come to see Hafdonnal as something of a father figure, enthusiastically agreed. Not long after this time, however, Hafdonnal contracted a debilitating magical disease and slowly wasted away in his bed. On his deathbed, Hafdonnal made Duncan swear that he would not die in his bed too, but on the battlefield, fighting for their cause. Duncan swore to do so, and he was hailed as the new Captain and "true heir" by the warriors of the Red Company.

Since then Duncan has accepted work all throughout Terra, gathering wealth and men and waiting for his opportunity to strike. After the death of Empress Artemis, Duncan and his warriors have made their way to the Imperial City, hoping that the inevitable chaos will create opportunities for work.

RP Example: (3, minimum, unless I know you)
#SeizeTheThrone
Signatures are so 2014.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am

Khasinkonia wrote:
Union Princes wrote:

uuuuuhhhhh, that's real old. Why would you make a character that old?

I don’t really think having any ages older than when recorded history begins is wise. My own character is pretty old, so I can’t say much, but I’m not sure if a human-Dragonborn hybrid would even have such a feasible lifespan.

We’re not *exact* hybrids. We are close to it, yes, but the details I’ll elaborate on. They don’t have a mechanism for aging. Most Draconian kings have died in wars, whilst most Draconians as a whole die of disease.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am

It is most likely I will be deated so I will apply under an alt if it comes to it.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Well, here it is, the overview and history of my sub-state. I hope it's good really, but i'm up for any criticism. I'm not an native English speaker though, so expect some errors

The Grand Principality Of Aurinia

"Do you ever wonder what lies beyond the sunset? Well, if you were to ask an Common Terran, they would answer you desert, or nothing at all. They are wrong."

It is of knowledge to any person worth their time that going to the far-western regions on land is no easy feat. First, the week-long passage through the Xarai Desert, whose dangerous, ever-changing dunes have claimed the lives of many travelers who did not know the correct trails. Furthermore, even in the most trusted "roads", the looming shadows of banditry from native nomads makes any crossing sure to be dangerous. Safety from such perilous threats will be assured only when you arrive in the Sentinel's Gate , at the feet of the Scartenian mountains, a great chain cutting through the continent working as a natural defense for Aurinia, be it from foreign invaders or from the unlivable conditions of the desert.

However, those who manage to overcome these hardships will find themselves in a beautiful land, with more grand cities reaching into the horizon than eyes could see and riches capable of putting to shame even the most wild dreams and making even the most experienced merchant lose their breath and weep with joy. Their markets, filled to the brim with the most exotic products from all of Gaia, with some being said to surpass even those of the imperial capital on some days, with beings of nearly every possible origin and species being easily found within the busy streets of the many trade hubs present in this land, for save from a few exceptions, Aurinia was a land where wealth and power mattered more than your race.

Yes, the people who live there are of an odd type. Their culture is extremely distinct from the others nearby it, caused mostly by the relative isolation from other political figures, the only foreigners present being the traders and merchants who managed to make it through the many dangers to arrive there. One of the many, many differences would be the drastically different religion practiced by Aurinians. As opposed to their few neighbors, who worshiped the Imperial Throne, the people of Aurinia instead follow an sect which venerates their own version of Gaia, whom they call "Kharazi", and nearly all of the Angeli, whom they call Xarakh. This "sect" developed itself due to the isolated nature of these people, who for so long had nearly no outside contact at all.

Yet at the jewel of this crown, built by the coast of the Ivory Sea & cut in half by the Sage's River, laid Karathia, an city so large it was said that one could spend an entire day walking from one of it's end to another and they would not see it's end. It's markets, large and rich, were expected to contain thousands of merchants and traders everyday, with items that nowhere else could be found. The Majority of such items arrived either from the Harbor Of Gallerius, an large port located at the western extremity of the Aurinian capital. Safekeeping all of this were the Fabled Zarakhian Walls, The sixty-meters tall brick "barricades" who encircled the city, giving it unparalleled protection from hostile armies.

But the most impressive act in this land, the most breath-taking one is the Palace Of Dusk, the centuries-old home of the governors of this land. Standing proud at the northern part of Karathia, it is without a doubt one of the most beautiful, complex "Castles" on the entirety of Gaia, with it's highest point reaching an impressive altitude of three-hundred meters. It's rooms are so numerous that one could not possibly remember every single one of them without wasting several paper scrolls. The Palace Of Dusk is truly, without doubt, An great architectural achievement for Aurinians and humanity in a whole.

Now, you might ask, what is the reason to such wealth? How did such secluded part of the world became a hub for trade? The answer to this question is within the tale of this land and of it's people. It all started a long, long time ago...

The History Of Aurinia

It was around the 350th Century (Before Terra) when the island who would one day constitute Aurinia emerged from Gaia, a rather large island who had risen to the sea after the ever-shifting continents caused it to erode away from the mainland, prompting it to slowly float away, colliding on it's way with more and more island arcs, adding them to it's growing mass. A few centuries after, the mountainous island finally found it's place, resting on one of the many oceans of the planet. And so like that it continued, devoid of life for several thousand years, as no being could live on that unstable rock, always smoldering with it's heavy volcanic activity and lack of vegetation.

Yet, as time went on, more and more volcanoes fell out of activity, and more and more life advanced deep into the continent, spreading through it's many rivers, plants of all types growing in absurd rates, covering everything where it could reach. As the last volcano went out of activity, the island who would one day become Aurinia had at last found peace, and with it arrived the next step in evolution: animal life. Crawling out of the sand came an race of reptilians known scientifically as Lacertilia Qaueniensis, and albeit not sapient, they spread quickly, devouring insects and plants alike. But they were not lonely for long, as soon arrived the god's chosen race: Humanity. The story of how this group of humans came to such desolate island deserves an post of it's own, but for now, let us simply say they were forcibly driven into this condition.

The humans were quick to claim the island for it's own, building settlements among the rivers and mountains alike, with village after village popping up in the Ulmarian Continent, caused all by the extremely fertile lands who followed the many estuaries who there existed, allowing for easier agriculture, enabling for populational growth to rise to new levels. As more and more humans permanently settled in, the culture of said settlements began to diverge, as tribes were formed one after the other, with their own niches and traditions varying heavily on their position. It was said that, after a few centuries, while they all came from the same group, the northern mountain-dwelling Ravii would appear alien to the western riverside-inhabiting Natarii.

It was several millennia until any lasting change happened, as the Daemonic cults which happened to cause so much trouble worldwide arrived on the island, as one of the largest tribes of Ulmar, the nomadic war-like Jattari, began to become corrupted, slowly turning into followers of Daemos, the God of Darkness. It was no surprise that, considering the heavy anti-Daemonic sentiment that had been so encouraged by the gods, that soon enough the first major war in the history of the landmass broke out, as the forces of those who worshiped Kharazi clashed with the Jattari Tribe and their followers, resulting in a bloody hundred-year long conflict, claiming the lives of many and bringing an countless number of tribes to extinction as the Daemonic Hordes ravaged through the continent. The war finally ended when an coalition led by an unknown Ravii Chieftain finally defeated the Cultist Host in Battle, later hunting down every single one of them without mercy. Forever the word "Jattari" would be known as a symbol of death and destruction,turning into the common umbrella term for all of those who followed the Daemonic Cults

With the war finally over, peace ultimately returned to the continent, who was now free of dark influence, as any chance that existed of further Daemonic Cults rising again was squashed swiftly. This, in return, allowed the human tribes to conclusively organize in more complex forms, resulting in the founding of the first Ulmarian civilization, known as the Karamanai by the Sage King Appius. Shortly after, an myriad of other cities began to appear as kingdoms were founded by the many tribes of the lonely continent, permitting technology to greatly advance. It was also at this period that the people of this land discovered their love for trade, as commerce between the civilizations boomed, leading to more intricate, extensive relationships between the many cultures of Ulmar.

But like all things, there was always an darker side of the coin. With the entirety of the continent covered by different states and cultures, war became necessary when wishing to expand your realm. And so, began the bloodiest era of the secluded landmass, as throughout the entirety of the Third Millennium (Before Terra) war after war was fought over resources and trade routes, in an period which would be later branded as the "Age Of The Twenty Kings". It was not until the final century of the epoch that a clear victor appeared, when one of the many descendants of Appius, The First Lord, rose to power. The man in question, Gallerius, was without doubt worth of the legends that are sung about him, as, through his command, the Karamanai fought their way into becoming the dominant power. Sadly, just as it appeared unification was at an arm's length, greater events in Gaia unveiled themselves, effecting the entire world. For, in the year 2.000 Before Terra, the Goddess Kharazi herself brought together the many continents, as the first Terran Crusade Began.

Through the following thousand years, against what one would think, Ulmar was mostly left alone, as Daemonic Influence had been mostly nonexistent for the last millennia in the continent, resulting in it being mostly ignored by the crusaders, who would have had no interest in dealing with a Daemon-Free Land. But this neutrality would inevitably end, as together with the crusading armies came foreign Hegemony. Tales say that as the last enemy citadel was besieged by the Karamanai forces, they finally arrived, marching through the Scartenian mountains. An army unlike any other before, in unthinkable numbers. It had been House Regine, the rulers of the Terran Empire, who had come to subjugate the continent. The war that followed was vicious and barbaric, albeit fast. Even then, whilst the legions of the Regulux were by far in greater number, with it's allies and vassals bolstering even more their strength, the resistance from the Ulmarians was nothing short of impressive. But the tide of fate had already been decided by the gods, and in the end, Karamanai and the few remaining kingdoms around it fell.

Even so, the rule of the Karamanai was yet to end, for, since Gaia had united all the continents into one, Ulmar became in a precarious position. Between them and the more directly controlled imperial mainland laid the Xarai Desert, an great patch of desolate territory, a true no man's land where only the toughest of nomads lived, with the exception of the few oasis towns. This distance made it so that any awnser to events, such as revolts, would take a large deal of effort to quell, as the time needed for supplies or reinforcements to arrive would be simply abysmal. And so, in an effort to stop the chance of rebellion it was decided that the Karaman Kingdom would remain as the local governors, being forced to send yearly tribute to the throne.

Finally, it was around that time that an great discovery was made- gold. Tonnes and tonnes of it, in amounts so grand that some feared their introduction to the market would cause an rise in inflation. More than that, substantial amounts of metal deposits were found in the old continent's land, with many being located in the Scartenian mountains. It was now clear that the gods did not abandon them after all! Monumental mining operations soon started, riches pouring in to the Karamanai coffers. Such riches were used wisely, with reforms taking place to take the backwater sub-continent to new height and power, attracting in it's way hordes upon hordes of travellers and merchants who decided the dangers of the desert were a risk more than worth taking to acquire even an particle of such wealth. And like that, Ulmar became Aurinia, the Land of Gold and Metal.
Last edited by Skarten on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Upon first reading, this substate sounds like a crossover between the Reach, Dorne, and Westerlands from Game of Thrones. If this substate really is the jewel of the Imperial crown, then the Terran Empire will do everything it can to stay that way.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Going to be updating the roster pretty soon. I will think about the Aurinia thing, but may need time to consider some things first.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Already, we're having ourselves an impending coup of some sort. This dragonborn fella isn't hesitating.

The name of the blood knight bothers me for some reason.
Last edited by Union Princes on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bla Ary
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bla Ary » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Ya know if war breaks out with Atheo... it could give the nobles an exscuse to stall Carnifex going to the throne... the plot thickens.

The World Capitalist Confederation
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 07, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The World Capitalist Confederation » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Union Princes wrote:Already, we're having ourselves an impending coup of some sort. This dragonborn fella isn't hesitating.

Nah, I’m just trying to make him piss himself. Nothing much. Also leverage. As they say, bring swords to a negotiation. Either me or an ally rules the Empire, or I’m out of here. We’ve only been under imperial rule for about 11 generations. Draconians shall rise again if Carnifex dares to press his claim.
Please Watch
“We could manage to survive without the money changers and stockbrokers, but we would rather find it difficult to survive without miners, steel workers and those who cultivate the land.” - Nye Bevan, Minister of Health under Clement Attlee

“The mutual-aid tendency in man has so remote an origin, and is so deeply interwoven with all the past evolution of the human race, that is has been maintained by mankind up to the present time, notwithstanding all vicissitudes of history.” - Peter Krotopkin, evolutionary biologist and political writer.

Sraelyn
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Sraelyn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Tasuirin wrote:Bit of a shame, really :p

If he did hate non-humans, then he could have been a target of mine!

That could easily happen tho, a couple of bad experiences with other races could easily turn him towards hatred.

Elysian Kentarchy wrote:Well I think our characters will get along just fine.

I believe so as well

The World Capitalist Confederation wrote:
Union Princes wrote:Already, we're having ourselves an impending coup of some sort. This dragonborn fella isn't hesitating.

Nah, I’m just trying to make him piss himself. Nothing much. Also leverage. As they say, bring swords to a negotiation. Either me or an ally rules the Empire, or I’m out of here. We’ve only been under imperial rule for about 11 generations. Draconians shall rise again if Carnifex dares to press his claim.

Marching an army into the capital is an easy way to rally the rest of the lords against you.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Them Blood Knights and the Deathwatch would love a good fight. I don't know what troops that dragonborn has but he can't fight the entire world

Skarten
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Skarten » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Union Princes wrote:Upon first reading, this substate sounds like a crossover between the Reach, Dorne, and Westerlands from Game of Thrones. If this substate really is the jewel of the Imperial crown, then the Terran Empire will do everything it can to stay that way.

Yeah, that would be the point. Because then not only would it become central to the plot, if this turned into a civil war, support from Aurinia (most notably monetary) would turn into a must.
Last edited by Skarten on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The V O I D
Post Marshal

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The V O I D » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm gonna say right now that the Imperial Guard is not going to let anything more than a Lord or Lady's personal guard into the Imperial City. Like, okay, sure, bring your entire army and try to march pass the Imperial City's walls - they will most likely be slaughtered by the Imperial Guard, the other Lord(s)/Lady(ies) and any of their armies which are present... and that's before we even get to the Imperial Armies guarding the Capital Province. Or any of the countless other forces bound to be present in the Province, let alone protecting the Imperial City.

In point of fact, not only would trying to march your entire army passed the Imperial City's walls most likely get that army obliterated, but the Master of the Grand Order of the Gaian Throne would likely automatically disqualify you from sitting on the Throne and you'd be giving a good reason for the future Emperor or Empress to strip your family of your nobility and to send the Imperial Armies/rally up the Lords/Ladies of the Empire in unity under their banner for the sole purpose of quashing your rebellion/the threat of you trying to conquer them (as, after all, if you had the gall to try invading the Imperial City, what's stopping you from invading them? the future Emperor/Empress would argue).

So... yeah. It's fine to bring your army with you into the Capital Province, if you're making a show (like some other Lords/Ladies are no doubt doing), but the Imperial Guard and Imperial Armies will be watching you and ready to squash you. Not only that, but the entire Imperial Court is just waiting for someone to do something so stupid as to try and invade the Imperial City, to rally the rest of the Court's support behind them to “squash the bloody traitors!” to the Empire.

You might as well put a mighty red ribbon on the Gaian Throne, with a tag that says “To [Insert NOT-MY-LORD/LADY'S NAME Here]” - as you'd be gifting the Throne to literally anyone except for yourself.

Anyways, roster update soon, then an IC post, then I'll update the Lore Post soon enough. I am going to update the House List as well, since I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Utceforp
Postmaster-General

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Utceforp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:35 pm

The V O I D wrote:I'm gonna say right now that the Imperial Guard is not going to let anything more than a Lord or Lady's personal guard into the Imperial City. Like, okay, sure, bring your entire army and try to march pass the Imperial City's walls - they will most likely be slaughtered by the Imperial Guard, the other Lord(s)/Lady(ies) and any of their armies which are present... and that's before we even get to the Imperial Armies guarding the Capital Province. Or any of the countless other forces bound to be present in the Province, let alone protecting the Imperial City.

In point of fact, not only would trying to march your entire army passed the Imperial City's walls most likely get that army obliterated, but the Master of the Grand Order of the Gaian Throne would likely automatically disqualify you from sitting on the Throne and you'd be giving a good reason for the future Emperor or Empress to strip your family of your nobility and to send the Imperial Armies/rally up the Lords/Ladies of the Empire in unity under their banner for the sole purpose of quashing your rebellion/the threat of you trying to conquer them (as, after all, if you had the gall to try invading the Imperial City, what's stopping you from invading them? the future Emperor/Empress would argue).

So... yeah. It's fine to bring your army with you into the Capital Province, if you're making a show (like some other Lords/Ladies are no doubt doing), but the Imperial Guard and Imperial Armies will be watching you and ready to squash you. Not only that, but the entire Imperial Court is just waiting for someone to do something so stupid as to try and invade the Imperial City, to rally the rest of the Court's support behind them to “squash the bloody traitors!” to the Empire.

You might as well put a mighty red ribbon on the Gaian Throne, with a tag that says “To [Insert NOT-MY-LORD/LADY'S NAME Here]” - as you'd be gifting the Throne to literally anyone except for yourself.

Anyways, roster update soon, then an IC post, then I'll update the Lore Post soon enough. I am going to update the House List as well, since I haven't gotten around to it yet.

What about mercenaries like the Red Company? Would they be allowed to enter the city to sell their services?

On a related note, are my apps accepted?
Signatures are so 2014.

Union Princes
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Union Princes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:47 pm

The V O I D wrote:I'm gonna say right now that the Imperial Guard is not going to let anything more than a Lord or Lady's personal guard into the Imperial City. Like, okay, sure, bring your entire army and try to march pass the Imperial City's walls - they will most likely be slaughtered by the Imperial Guard, the other Lord(s)/Lady(ies) and any of their armies which are present... and that's before we even get to the Imperial Armies guarding the Capital Province. Or any of the countless other forces bound to be present in the Province, let alone protecting the Imperial City.

Don't forget that every Blood Knight under your character will defect his as soon as General Liecsturn von Draconia-Sterpol starts losing. Everything about the Draconian screams "Vampire Count Reborn" due to his cutthroat attitude and his selfish loyalties. The Lesser Vampires already had enough of that when they were serving under the Higher Vampires themselves.

Liecsturn should already be grateful that there are Blood Knights that are willing to work with him.
Last edited by Union Princes on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clarcia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Clarcia » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:09 pm

So, Empire at war was just dropped? :eyebrow:

Talking to you OP.
Last edited by Clarcia on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elysian Kentarchy
Senator

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elysian Kentarchy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm

I know I was thinking we needed more IC posts, granted I am fine with slow RPs, but marching on the capital with an army not exactly what I was imagining. :P

Celivaia wrote:"Today is a great day. Recently, we completed a project that will greatly help the Salarian Union in it's fight, and while I cannot divulge information about this project, I am pleased to announce that this project was no small feat, and for his dedication, work, and pure, brilliant genius, we have a special award for this Salarian. We cannot divulge the name of this operative, but we have given him a special award, the "Star of the Union," and as an added bonus, we have decided to rename this, our home planet, after him. As of this moment, you are now standing on Solus'Kesh."

Philosophy and Religion Major

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse