NATION

PASSWORD

[IDEA] Infrastructure Safety Regulation Act

Where WA members debate how to improve the world, one resolution at a time.
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

[IDEA] Infrastructure Safety Regulation Act

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:31 pm

So this is in pre-drafting stages, because I had an idea for an act that would set a standard for the safe construction of infrastructure projects both terrestrial and otherwise. Is there something already like this? Suggestions on how I could make it? This would apply specifically to infrastructure projects and not building, for the record!
Author of GA #455
Favourite Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9iYAsoX5t8
Aspiring Issue Author (6-times-failed)
Ban Abortion!

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

Choose love over death!

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:34 am

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Is there something already like this?

OOC: Yes. Look for words "workplace safety" in the passed resolutions thread.

If you mean like establishing a building code, then good luck with that as it's impossible to have a global one even in RL. I've seen the Mythbuilders put together what would barely count as a temporary shack over here, but which has been according to California's building code, just to illustrate differences...
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:08 am

Araraukar wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Is there something already like this?

OOC: Yes. Look for words "workplace safety" in the passed resolutions thread.

If you mean like establishing a building code, then good luck with that as it's impossible to have a global one even in RL. I've seen the Mythbuilders put together what would barely count as a temporary shack over here, but which has been according to California's building code, just to illustrate differences...

No, not a building code, rather a code for the safety of infrastructure, e.g. roads must be (x), dams must be made (x), space infrastructure must be made (x). It would not apply to buildings.

I think I am going to go for it.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 am

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:
Araraukar wrote:OOC: Yes. Look for words "workplace safety" in the passed resolutions thread.

No, not a building code, rather a code for the safety of infrastructure, e.g. roads must be (x), dams must be made (x), space infrastructure must be made (x). It would not apply to buildings.

I think I am going to go for it.

(OOC: I wouldn’t recommend going for that. Roads have to alter in real-life based on innumerable factors, and there is no clear, international defining line between a road, path, way, motorway or other designations of car-based infrastructure. Dams likewise would vary to an extreme extent base on what type of river is being affected by them, enviromental concerns and the purpose of the dam. What qualifies as a dam is debatable and includes the ones that are made by beavers, which I do not suggest regulating.

Space infrastructure would be even worse, due to the sheer variety and diversity of planets that can be found. What would be laughable in one world could be the only sensible option on another, and I can’t imagine a way to possibly fit a comprehensive code on the sole issue of space infrastructure within a 5000 character proposal.

With the sort of proposal you are suggesting, there are two extremes. The first is a micromanaging, one-size-fits-all proposal that would lay out strict standards that would be to th detriment of a huge proportion of nations. This route is clearly inadvisable. Yet the other would be one that lays out such basic standards that a lone farmer could construct a road with an hour’s worth of work, thus this kind of proposal would have no useful effect. Going within the middle would inevitable result in a mixture of micromanaging and vague platitudes, likely being the worst option.)
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Things like roads and dams and bridges and buildings are definitely not one-size-fits-all. Far too many variables.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:47 pm

Yeah, maybe I should make one or two specific and similar things regulated by this act.

How does "Space Infrastructure Regulation Act" sound?
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Yeah, maybe I should make one or two specific and similar things regulated by this act.

OOC: Like a similar "one-size-fits-none" solution in search of a problem.

Your very first step here should be asking "What is the issue, problem, or international difficulty that I'm trying to solve with this resolution?" What specifically needs to improve about the way member nations conduct their affairs? Are you reducing fatalities? Increasing rights? Curbing exploitation? What is the mechanism causing the fatalities, inadequate rights, or exploitation, and how can you curtail it with international action? Once you've figured out the answers to those questions, your way forward should be a lot easier (possible to begin with).
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Sierra Lyricalia wrote:
Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:Yeah, maybe I should make one or two specific and similar things regulated by this act.

Your very first step here should be asking "What is the issue, problem, or international difficulty that I'm trying to solve with this resolution?" What specifically needs to improve about the way member nations conduct their affairs? Are you reducing fatalities? Increasing rights? Curbing exploitation? What is the mechanism causing the fatalities, inadequate rights, or exploitation, and how can you curtail it with international action? Once you've figured out the answers to those questions, your way forward should be a lot easier (possible to begin with).

Well, the idea would be to reduce the risk on those living around, and using major infrastructure projects by implementing a code of safety around them.
Author of GA #455
Ban Abortion!

Choose love over death!

Sierra Lyricalia
Senator

Founded: Nov 29, 2008
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sierra Lyricalia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 pm

Nagatar Karumuttu Chettiar wrote:
Sierra Lyricalia wrote:

Well, the idea would be to reduce the risk on those living around, and using major infrastructure projects by implementing a code of safety around them.

OOC: What are the risks you're talking about? Hazardous emissions in the air? Worker/supervisory negligence? Architectural error leading to catastrophic structural failure? Unexpected deterioration or lack of proper maintenance?

Be specific.
Principal-Agent, Anarchy; Squadron Admiral [fmr], The Red Fleet
The Semi-Honorable Leonid Berkman Pavonis
Author: 354 GA / Issues 436, 451, 724
Ambassador Pro Tem
Tech Level: Complicated (or not: 7/0/6 i.e. 12) / RP Details
Jerk, Ideological Deviant, Roach, MT Army stooge, & "red [who] do[es]n't read" (various)
Illustrious Bum #279

Imperium Anglorum
GA Secretariat

Founded: Aug 26, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Imperium Anglorum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:11 pm

Curious. The last time I posted an idea thread, it got locked.

What does this do that is not already done? I'm vaguely recalling some resolution about international road safety or something like that.

Author: 1 SC and 56+ GA resolutions
Maintainer: GA Passed Resolutions
Developer: Communiqué and InfoEurope
GenSec (24 Dec 2021 –); posts not official unless so indicated
Delegate for Europe
Elsie Mortimer Wellesley
Ideological Bulwark 285, WALL delegate
Twice-commended toxic villainous globalist kittehs

Araraukar
Post Marshal

Founded: May 14, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Araraukar » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Imperium Anglorum wrote:What does this do that is not already done? I'm vaguely recalling some resolution about international road safety or something like that.

OOC: That one is more about how the road is used, if memory serves, and markings, not its construction.
- ambassador miss Janis Leveret
Araraukar's RP reality is Modern Tech solarpunk. In IC in the WA.
Giovenith wrote:And sorry hun, if you were looking for a forum site where nobody argued, you've come to wrong one.
Apologies for absences, non-COVID health issues leave me with very little energy at times.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly