NATION

PASSWORD

Applying to a Summer Internship

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nicropolis
Secretary

Founded: Sep 07, 2014
Left-wing Utopia

Applying to a Summer Internship

Postby Nicropolis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi there all! I'm not sure if this is the right forum to place this in, but here I am. I'm trying to apply for a summer internship called SULI which provides internships for undergraduates to national laboratories. The application, due next week, I had to write 4 essays. I was wondering if anyone would like to read over one of mine (which I found the weakest) and help me out. Feel free to be as critical as you want - if there is something you didn't like in the essay, chances are, the employers will notice it as well. If anyone is in a similar situation, go ahead and write it here and I can critique yours as well!

Describe your professional, academic, or life experience and skills you have that enhance your ability to be an excellent contributing member to the SULI Program.

My most relevant experience as a mechanical engineering undergraduate has been in my machine shop class. There were two main projects in that class, one of them being the manufacture of a spinning gyroscope. I learned a lot about the manufacturing process and the machines that manufacturing engineers use to create parts. I was given some generic metal shapes, and was instructed to machine them down into the parts required to assemble the gyroscope. I read engineering drawings and used mills, lathes, drill presses, and CNC machines for this project. I formed the parts from start to finish while conducting precise measurements using calipers and micrometers to ensure the parts' accuracy.

After the completion of this class, I took a 3D printing orientation which now allows me to use the 3D printers in the engineering lab for personal and academic use. I learned how to create parts from scratch in Solidworks and publish them into the type of file that would allow me to set up the device for final part printing, along with some basic knowledge on how 3D printers work.

I have great ambition and competence to learn new things; with currently a nearly 3.8 GPA and a semester ahead in math. Even with this, I am still taking additional classes such as "Freshman Seminar: Join The Maker Revolution!" and "Introduction to Environmental Design." These classes are not required but I found them very engaging nonetheless and forced me to retreat from a computational thought process into a more artistic approach. For example, in the environmental design class, I was instructed to design an aesthetic sustainable landscape that could exist on campus. I have also participated in Habitat for Humanity on two occasions, both of which were positive experiences with admirable people.

I believe that I have much to offer to the SULI program as a well rounded individual with considerable strengths in STEM. I will be able to work effectively as an engineering undergraduate researcher. I can stay motivated and will do anything I can to help my colleagues.

Nicropolis News Broadcast - The best source of news, weather, and sports.™
WITH AN ASTOUNDING POPULATION OF 1.4 BILLION, NICROS IS THE FIRST DISTRICT ADMITTED INTO THE NEW ORDER. ELECTIONS WILL BE HAPPENING NEXT WEEK FOR THE REPRESENTATIVE AND VICE REPRESENTATIVE OF NICROS. FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT dist.gov.nic/nicros. CANDIDATES HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED.

Name: Nicropolis
Leader: The Oracle
Capital: Nicronia
Government: Constitutional Religious Oligarchy
Ideology: Liberal -3.5 Libertarian -3.5
Currency: Byte ~1.00 NSD
Tech Tier: MT
Details: History | Map | USING NS STATS

Likar
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Likar » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm

2 things:

1: I skimmed over it, gg, but it needs more... human voice?
2: I think the mods would be calling this "homework assistance", so I think they might take this down.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Muslim and proud!
Your Local Dank Meme Lord™
Classical(ish) Liberal
Seriously, why are you looking at this.

Green Baye
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Green Baye » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 pm

Nicropolis wrote:Hi there all! I'm not sure if this is the right forum to place this in, but here I am. I'm trying to apply for a summer internship called SULI which provides internships for undergraduates to national laboratories. The application, due next week, I had to write 4 essays. I was wondering if anyone would like to read over one of mine (which I found the weakest) and help me out. Feel free to be as critical as you want - if there is something you didn't like in the essay, chances are, the employers will notice it as well. If anyone is in a similar situation, go ahead and write it here and I can critique yours as well!

Describe your professional, academic, or life experience and skills you have that enhance your ability to be an excellent contributing member to the SULI Program.

My most relevant experience as a mechanical engineering undergraduate has been in my machine shop class. There were two main projects in that class, one of them being the manufacture of a spinning gyroscope. I learned a lot about the manufacturing process and the machines that manufacturing engineers use to create parts. I was given some generic metal shapes, and was instructed to machine them down into the parts required to assemble the gyroscope. I read engineering drawings and used mills, lathes, drill presses, and CNC machines for this project. I formed the parts from start to finish while conducting precise measurements using calipers and micrometers to ensure the parts' accuracy.

After the completion of this class, I took a 3D printing orientation which now allows me to use the 3D printers in the engineering lab for personal and academic use. I learned how to create parts from scratch in Solidworks and publish them into the type of file that would allow me to set up the device for final part printing, along with some basic knowledge on how 3D printers work.

I have great ambition and competence to learn new things; with currently a nearly 3.8 GPA and a semester ahead in math. Even with this, I am still taking additional classes such as "Freshman Seminar: Join The Maker Revolution!" and "Introduction to Environmental Design." These classes are not required but I found them very engaging nonetheless and forced me to retreat from a computational thought process into a more artistic approach. For example, in the environmental design class, I was instructed to design an aesthetic sustainable landscape that could exist on campus. I have also participated in Habitat for Humanity on two occasions, both of which were positive experiences with admirable people.

I believe that I have much to offer to the SULI program as a well rounded individual with considerable strengths in STEM. I will be able to work effectively as an engineering undergraduate researcher. I can stay motivated and will do anything I can to help my colleagues.

You had to write 4 essays for a job your not getting paid to do? Wow.

Anyways seems like you did all that you could to convey your qualifications

Green Baye
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 24, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Green Baye » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Likar wrote:2 things:

2: I think the mods would be calling this "homework assistance", so I think they might take this down.

Human voice? He’s not writing a novel he’s applying to a STEM job

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:37 pm

Likar wrote:2 things:

Ditto.

I believe this may not be the right forum for this sort of "homework assistance". That said, TG'ing someone you're comfortable with might be acceptable. Either way, good luck!
Last edited by Kiruri on Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Nicropolis
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nicropolis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 pm

Likar wrote:1: I skimmed over it, gg, but it needs more... human voice?

1. I think I know what you mean. It's written in a very technical way. I wasn't exactly sure what to do here, I was just trying to "write to the audience." I might poke around and see if I can change any of the "technical" words into more "human" words.
2. Also, after you mention this, I see now in the rules that there is a one liner:
Requests for assistance with homework in any forum are forbidden.

But I don't think this is considered homework, so I'm not worried.

Green Baye wrote:You had to write 4 essays for a job your not getting paid to do? Wow.
Anyways seems like you did all that you could to convey your qualifications

I think they will give me a stipend. And thanks, that was my goal.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I appreciate all the help/criticism!

WITH AN ASTOUNDING POPULATION OF 1.4 BILLION, NICROS IS THE FIRST DISTRICT ADMITTED INTO THE NEW ORDER. ELECTIONS WILL BE HAPPENING NEXT WEEK FOR THE REPRESENTATIVE AND VICE REPRESENTATIVE OF NICROS. FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE VISIT dist.gov.nic/nicros. CANDIDATES HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:55 pm

"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm

If a paid internship is at stake, this is your time to shine. If you get it, you're set. If you fail to get it- it could be the end of everything you worked towards. The worst case is that you amount to nothing like me. If you lose an unpaid internship though, its not as big of a deal. A lot of indications are that an unpaid internship doesn't look as good on a resume as just not mentioning it if what it entailed isn't relevant to what you're applying for.

Probably better to include it if its your only experience, but if you have more to work with- your paid work experience impresses people more if you weren't fired for a period of time and were able to hold down that job.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Nicropolis
Secretary

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Nicropolis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:09 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:Learn from the best.

I'd better just give up now then.

Saiwania wrote:Probably better to include it if its your only experience, but if you have more to work with- your paid work experience impresses people more if you weren't fired for a period of time and were able to hold down that job.

Thanks for your input. Obviously I would prefer something with pay/better pay, but at least with where I want to go, this could give me significant prestige.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:38 am

I'd focus on one specific thing that really taught you something.. from your above piece I think this might be an area:

Even with this, I am still taking additional classes such as "Freshman Seminar: Join The Maker Revolution!" and "Introduction to Environmental Design." These classes are not required but I found them very engaging nonetheless and forced me to retreat from a computational thought process into a more artistic approach. For example, in the environmental design class, I was instructed to design an aesthetic sustainable landscape that could exist on campus.

I'd reduce a lot of what you wrote to the minimum and expand this part in terms of how it altered your thinking. The thing is they'll receive a lot of dry descriptions of experience, you're not going to stand out with doing similar..
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:35 am

Saiwania wrote:If a paid internship is at stake, this is your time to shine. If you get it, you're set. If you fail to get it- it could be the end of everything you worked towards. The worst case is that you amount to nothing like me. If you lose an unpaid internship though, its not as big of a deal. A lot of indications are that an unpaid internship doesn't look as good on a resume as just not mentioning it if what it entailed isn't relevant to what you're applying for.

Don't be so dramatic. Not being picked for paid internships and even jobs is no big deal. I must have struck out in dozens o places before I finally got a job. And yet I now have a very good job.

----------------------------
Adding to what others already said don't feel afraid to add personal experience not from a job setting. Like for example my CV proudly hosts the sum total list of all my game modding. And that actually helped me land my current job as a game developer.

Bottom line is everything you did in your life, as long as its not completely trivial in scope can be considered useful. Just make sure to tailor the things you keep in your CV to the place you are applying to and throw out things that shouldn't concern them.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am

This may not be homework help exactly, but it's close enough to fall foul of our rules against the latter.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General