NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates API (nationdata/regiondata)

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:03 am

Eluvatar wrote:I'm inclined to do what you ask in full, but that is more work to accomplish (because it'd involve either filtering the output or changing the mechanics) and I'm trying to get something else done. Let me know if this is sufficient.
Sure, I can work with this. I wouldn't say it's the ideal format, but I can easily do any filtering I want myself.

If you plan to change it further, I advise saving that until after this year's apocalypse is over so the format doesn't suddenly change mid-event.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:38 am

I have another case of the "improperly initialized census scores" bug.

The zombie census scores are reported as blank on New Docistan. This is not true of all nations founded after the zombie apocalypse was over, as I verified by picking a random newly-made nation.

August
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby August » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:39 pm

Eluvatar wrote:It is illegal for a player to evade rate limits through the use of multiple IP addresses.
Of course, but I am talking about using a single device for multiple scripts.

Can I, for example, send one API recruitment message every 90s from my computer (so, a single player with a single IP address) by running two separate scripts for two distinct, independent regions?
Trot: "I'm pretty sure the telegram ratelimit is per player, not per region"
Fris: "Nope, the ratelimit is per region"
If the ratelimit is per region and not per player, then it seems that my described scenario would be legal, because each of those two regions would be subject to their own ratelimit of 1 per 180s.
Eluvatar wrote:I believe that at least the recruitment telegram ratelimits apply to both keys and IPs now, with a change made after Afforess did what you described. I didn't review any records or anything before saying this, though, so don't trust my memory too much.
This confused me because I thought Afforess only ever recruited for one region, Capitalist Paradise. Would it be possible to get a more concrete ruling?
|| AA Founder - Retired.

My Projects: AugustinAndroid (Server) | Augustin Alliance (Server) | NS Leaders (Server) | Tech suggestions | About me
I heard it was you / talkin' 'bout a world where all is free / it just couldn't be / and only a fool would say that...

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:42 pm

August wrote:
Eluvatar wrote:It is illegal for a player to evade rate limits through the use of multiple IP addresses.
Of course, but I am talking about using a single device for multiple scripts.

Can I, for example, send one API recruitment message every 90s from my computer (so, a single player with a single IP address) by running two separate scripts for two distinct, independent regions?
Trot: "I'm pretty sure the telegram ratelimit is per player, not per region"
Fris: "Nope, the ratelimit is per region"
If the ratelimit is per region and not per player, then it seems that my described scenario would be legal, because each of those two regions would be subject to their own ratelimit of 1 per 180s.
Eluvatar wrote:I believe that at least the recruitment telegram ratelimits apply to both keys and IPs now, with a change made after Afforess did what you described. I didn't review any records or anything before saying this, though, so don't trust my memory too much.
This confused me because I thought Afforess only ever recruited for one region, Capitalist Paradise. Would it be possible to get a more concrete ruling?

Seems like it's relatively easy to test, no? Fire off a telegram for one region followed immediately be a telegram for another region.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:34 pm

August wrote:This confused me because I thought Afforess only ever recruited for one region, Capitalist Paradise.

Afforess was hosting the NS++ bot on his own server. As such, all NS++ scripts ran from a single device.

As far as I know, it's legal for you to run more than one script at a time, as long as they are for different regions. The rate limit is mostly key based, though there is a device (or IP) based limit as well. Given that any single region script can send (IIRC) 1 telegram every three minutes, but any given IP can access the API 50 times in 30 seconds, you can probably run campaigns for several regions.

Running more than one script for a single region on multiple devices is pointless, as the regional API key controls the rate limit. It won't increase recruiting speed. It's likely that every script after the first will simply fail each time.

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:51 pm

Should the rule not be per person as well as per region? In the above case they run several 'seperate' servers sharing a military/N-day etc. I'm not 100% on whether each has their own FA. Allowing one person to recruit for several regions that serve the same function seems to be avoiding the recruitment limit.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:14 pm

Flanderlion wrote:In the above case they run several 'seperate' servers sharing a military/N-day etc.

I'm not really following. If, say a raider region uses raided regions as feeders to their main region, that would violate the spirit of the rule. It's mostly on the honor system, because the code would allow each region their own API key and script.

Flanderlion wrote:Allowing one person to recruit for several regions that serve the same function seems to be avoiding the recruitment limit.

That's necessarily 100% honor system. There's no way for us to code identification into the system, as we never ask for ID in the first place. All you need to sidestep it is represent yourself as two different nations / regions / players. Feel free to suggest something, but we've never figured anything out.

Flanderlion wrote:I'm not 100% on whether each has their own FA.

I don't know what a FA is in this context.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:45 pm

I can be clearer.

The telegram ratelimit is separately enforced by key and by IP.

Do not evade either of these limits.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Baconbacon123
Secretary

Founded: Nov 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Baconbacon123 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I’m helping someone get set up to use telegram api. They have checked to be sure they have a working client key, but the api always returns 403 client not registered for api. What should be done?
Last edited by Baconbacon123 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 am

Baconbacon123 wrote:I’m helping someone get set up to use telegram api. They have checked to be sure they have a working client key, but the api always returns 403 client not registered for api. What should be done?

They either are entering it wrong, or have one of the keys that was lost when the API key database was partially lost.
Information
Wishlist

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Bug report/request

Hi,

Recently, there have been at least two times when the event IDs in the World Happenings API were reset (I believe one was during the Zombie Apocalypse, and the second some time in the second half of November).

This has been very disruptive for my NS script ecosystem, resulting in most of them going idle for several days until I noticed and reset them. I was taking some time today to try and make my logging system more robust to such incidents, and realized that the root cause of the problem is what looks like a bug, or at least unexpected behavior, in the World Happenings API. Let me use an example to describe the issue:

Let's say I make a world happenings API call, fetch some happenings, and extract from them 123456 as the latest event ID. Then, event IDs are reset to a number smaller than that, say, 10. Then I make another world happenings API call, and use the modifier "sinceid=123456". Because of the reset, the call will return no happenings.

My guess is that "sinceid" assumes that event IDs are monotonically increasing. When this monotonicity assumption is broken (e.g., during the reset events), "sinceid" won't behave as expected.

As I said above, I believe this should be classified as a bug. It would be very convenient if this could be fixed, as it would mean that event ID resetting would not disrupt happenings logging scripts.

Thanks in advance.
Home of the WADP, Planet Eras, and the Constibillocode!
Join The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:31 pm

...Duh?

The ID is how the server tracks which order events happened in. There's no way around that, except to have a separate "display ID" and "real ID" with the latter being used to determine the order while the former is returned by the API, in which case the real ID would be just as prone to being bugged as the display ID, except you'd have a harder time telling and reporting it. That's not an improvement.

Yes, the ID being reset is a bug and ideally should be fixed to never happen again (although maybe that's already happened, since as you point out the last reset was a while ago), but you can't really expect "the program should still work correctly even when it's not working correctly" to be a feasible request.

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:48 pm

Here is a simple way to fix it: Reset the event IDs upwards.
Join The North Pacific!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

[violet]
Executive Director

Founded: Antiquity

Postby [violet] » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:03 am

Trotterdam wrote:Yes, the ID being reset is a bug and ideally should be fixed to never happen again (although maybe that's already happened, since as you point out the last reset was a while ago)

Yes, the root cause was identified and fixed in late November, and everything has been stable since then. I don't expect any more resets.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 am

It was, but is no longer legal to use a script to answer issues so as to get card decks.

New script rules text:

[violet] wrote:A tool may not automatically perform a "restricted action." Restricted actions are:
  • answering / dismissing an issue
  • creating a nation
  • sending a telegram
  • moving regions
  • endorsing / unendorsing a nation
  • banning / ejecting a nation from a region
  • anything that generates a Happenings event line in a region, the World Assembly, or a nation other than your own
  • anything that sends a request to the forums (https://forum.nationstates.net) as a logged-in user, or a login request

This applies to simulating clicks via the HTML site. This rule does not ban use of the issue selection API, any more than it bans use of the telegrams API. This rule does not ban using a script to open card decks. This rule change does not ban using a script in any way other than answering issues via the same HTTP form submission the interactive HTML website uses.
Last edited by Eluvatar on Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Copying over clarifying edit
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:21 am

Can a key press be used to execute a restricted action? For context, I'm making a console program, and getting a click would probably be more trouble than it's worth.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:19 am

Leppikania wrote:Can a key press be used to execute a restricted action?

If you're just going to put a rock on a key, that kinda defeats the purpose. I'll leave the official response to admins, but it doesn't sound kosher to me.

Leppikania
Minister

Founded: Apr 13, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Leppikania » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:15 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
Leppikania wrote:Can a key press be used to execute a restricted action?

If you're just going to put a rock on a key, that kinda defeats the purpose. I'll leave the official response to admins, but it doesn't sound kosher to me.

Well, you could also put a rock on the mouse. :p But the script I'm making would be directly responding to user input. The problem, though, is that it's a console program, and it would be hard to make it respond to a click.
INTP, -4.25 Economic Left/Right, -4.1 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian, tastes like chicken.
I do use NS stats, thank you very much.
Funny Quotes
Pie charts for industries
Request an Embassy

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Postby Trotterdam » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:07 pm

The rules say:
[violet] wrote:We consider a tool to be working "automatically" if it executes a restricted action in any way other than by immediately responding to a user's mouse click (or similar input) at the ratio of one click to one action.
The "(or similar input)" would seem to imply that, at least, some forms of input other than mouse clicks are acknowledged as existing. I would assume at least a key press to be okay, particularly a key like ENTER that is traditionally used to execute commands. (Let's apply some common sense: the key has to be one that you're pressing specifically to operate that script. Don't just write a script that traps every key you press in any program. That also applies to mouse clicks.)

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:46 pm

Trotterdam wrote:The rules say:
[violet] wrote:We consider a tool to be working "automatically" if it executes a restricted action in any way other than by immediately responding to a user's mouse click (or similar input) at the ratio of one click to one action.
The "(or similar input)" would seem to imply that, at least, some forms of input other than mouse clicks are acknowledged as existing. I would assume at least a key press to be okay, particularly a key like ENTER that is traditionally used to execute commands.

This is correct. There are some browser tools that streamline certain actions by adding keyboard shortcuts to replace the need to click a button, for example, and these are fine, as they maintain the 1:1 relationship between user input and action.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:54 pm

Plus the restricted action has to complete before the next.

Unrelated: NS++ had a list of nations in your region you were not endorsing. Could we either bring that over to the site, or provide a list of nations your nation has endorsed in the API (and possibly onsite as well as it would make IC sense for your nation to know).

At present I have to hit the API with hundreds of requests (1 for WAs, 1 for region, then go through each WA in the region to check if X has endorsed them).
Information
Wishlist

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Flanderlion wrote:Plus the restricted action has to complete before the next.

Unrelated: NS++ had a list of nations in your region you were not endorsing. Could we either bring that over to the site, or provide a list of nations your nation has endorsed in the API (and possibly onsite as well as it would make IC sense for your nation to know).

At present I have to hit the API with hundreds of requests (1 for WAs, 1 for region, then go through each WA in the region to check if X has endorsed them).

You can get all the information you need using the daily nation dumps. In fact, what you describe is exactly the reason why I had asked for endorsement information to be included in the dumps (see here for the related discussion).

The only downside is that you miss the handful of nations that joined the WA since the latest major update. But you can easily get those from the regional happenings---or you can simply wait to endorse those the following day.
Join The North Pacific!

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Request

Would it be possible to add a Nation API shard that returns information about the nation's card deck?

For example, the shard could return the nation's bank, and a list of cards the nation has, where for each card it reports its name, rarity, and season.

Thanks a lot!
Join The North Pacific!

Queen Yuno
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Queen Yuno » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:07 pm

The Northern Light wrote:Request

Would it be possible to add a Nation API shard that returns information about the nation's card deck?

For example, the shard could return the nation's bank, and a list of cards the nation has, where for each card it reports its name, rarity, and season.

Thanks a lot!

I fully support this idea!
It'd make some very USEFUL statistics that regions can use for awarding+ranking their nations based on their card bank, number of epics, etc.

People will be able to check their region's members' decks easier + faster.
Stop giving misogynistic abusers a platform. Anyone who sides with Tiktok Star Andrew Tate even 1% of what he says will be treated as enemy who should be shamed out of society. Impressions+Views+Videowatches=$. Nothing he says is new or revolutionary. I don't care if he said "some good stuff", it's still bad because: the more you watch him, the more ad revenue MONEY and algorithm BOOSTS you're giving him to traffick victims. And don't say the victim lied, a young man stupidly told me that the victim confessed to lying, I told em to link me proof, articles or the Audio of her confession, he googled and found 0 proof 0 articles, and he realized he was spreading fake rumors he heard and BELIEVED without fact-check. Don't brand victims as liars without GOOGLING. Debated here

[violet]
Executive Director

Postby [violet] » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Flanderlion wrote:At present I have to hit the API with hundreds of requests (1 for WAs, 1 for region, then go through each WA in the region to check if X has endorsed them).

We don't have a server-side method of generating that information quickly enough for the API. It requires hundreds of fetches on this side, too.

You can figure it out from Daily Dumps, though, as Northern Light says.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical