NATION

PASSWORD

A Million Miles-A Dungeons and Dragons RP (OOC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Allied Wessex
Secretary

Founded: Dec 15, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Allied Wessex » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:09 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Allied Wessex wrote:
I shall watch and learn!

Luminesa- is Torac good to go?

Yup!

Cool - cheers guys - I got there in the end!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:56 pm

Allied Wessex wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Yup!

Cool - cheers guys - I got there in the end!

Yee! Welcome aboard!
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

CHARACTER APP: Baltazar Janek, Cleric

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Name: Baltazar Janek

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 205 lb.
Appearance:

Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Good
Class: Cleric (Knowledge Domain)

Biography: Baltazar Konstantinovich Janek was born on the winter solstice twenty five years ago, as the youngest scion of wealthy lesser patricians who fled Branwen during the Magic Wars and currently reside in the capital of Barrfhionn. He was a quiet and reserved youth, diligent in his studies and in his duties as a son. Since he was not set to inherit House Janek's holdings, Baltazar was sent at the age of fifteen to continue his education and become a member of the cloistered clergy of Ioun, the goddess of knowledge. At the age of twenty, after studying the trivium (grammar, logic, and rhetoric) and quadrivium (arithmetic, astrology, geometry, and musical theory), as well as the sacred matters of magic rites and theological lore, Baltazar was initiated into the priesthood of Ioun, where he served among his temple's bureaucracy faithfully in accordance to his oath of truth, fulfilling the sacred functions of scribe and librarian among the scholars of the Great Temple of Ioun, the House of Wisdom. Recently, however, Baltazar received a series of quasi-prophetic visions shrouded in a bizarre dream. After receiving this dream, Baltazar began to research the meaning of it with great intensity, studying many esoteric texts as well as the movements of the heavens. He came to the conclusion that Ioun had chosen him to join the esteemed ranks of the scholar-warriors of the Knights Mentor, the adventuring holy order of Ioun. After consulting with his superiors in the faith's hierarchy, Baltazar began the ritual purification and preparations necessary for his long, long journey across the known world. After he was finished, Baltazar set off on his voyages, and has been wandering for a few weeks already. Baltazar seeks to uphold the tenets of Ioun: "Know what is true. Know what is just. Whenever in doubt, seek wisdom in all forms."

Personality: I see cosmic omens in every event and action; the divines try to speak to us, we just need to listen. However, I thus oft get lost in my own thoughts and philosophical contemplation, becoming utterly oblivious to my surroundings. I tend towards stoicism, for in my view fleeting and foolish passions mustn't cloud our rational knowledge of what is true and what is virtuous and what is truly virtuous. I am thoroughly devoted to the principles of my deity and my order, but I admit that I am dogmatic in my moral convictions, and this compulsion overshadows lesser concerns such as friendship and mirth.

Strength: 11 (+0); Baltazar is of average might and brawn for a human.
Dexterity: 9 (-1); Baltazar is mildly clumsy, and most certainly not quick of reflexes.
Constitution: 14 (+2); Baltazar inherited his lineage's hardiness and good health.
Intelligence: 15 (+2); Baltazar is studious, well-learned, and extremely inquisitive, and he is first and foremost a seeker of knowledge and lore.
Wisdom: 16 (+3); Baltazar is rather perceptive and very insightful, and lives his life with a clear sense of purpose/meaning.
Charisma: 13 (+1) Baltazar is a polite, dignified, and reasonably affable sort, and a decent leader as well.

Skills: History, Insight, Religion

Cantrips: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
Spells: Augury, Ceremony, Command, Detect Magic, Identify, Suggestion

Items: mace, scale armor, light crossbow, bolt (20), backpack, blanket, candle (10), tinderbox, alms box, incense (2), censer, vestments, rations (2), water-skin, shield, holy symbol, scholar's robes, writing kit, prayer book, pouch (10 gp)

As for my experience with TRPGs, I've been playing them since childhood, and I'm especially well-versed in the 5e ruleset; I've functioned as both Player and DM, and I'd describe myself as reasonably competent in both roles. I would be honored to join this RP.

EDIT: I now have something resembling a decent backstory! :)
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am, edited 9 times in total.
< THE HIGH SWAGLORD | 8VALUES | POLITISCALES >
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Hey Swag! The setting for the RP is a little different from what you’ve mentioned in your biography, so if you want to maybe adapt your character to fit I’d recommend reading through it. Ask me any questions you need about the setting. Thanks! Cleric is my favorite class, too, though I am playing a Wizard this time. :3
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
-Alan Jackson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:08 pm

Luminesa wrote:Hey Swag! The setting for the RP is a little different from what you’ve mentioned in your biography, so if you want to maybe adapt your character to fit I’d recommend reading through it. Ask me any questions you need about the setting. Thanks! Cleric is my favorite class, too, though I am playing a Wizard this time. :3

I was aware that the setting is different from what I mentioned in the biography; I was going to originally use this character for a different campaign outside of NationStates.

EDIT: I think I've a decent grasp on the setting now. Thank you for being helpful and polite as you usually are.

EDIT II: I've made the backstory more generic; do you have any ideas on how to better integrate it into the setting?
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
My NS stats are not indicative of my OOC views. NS stats are meant to be rather silly. My OOC political and ideological inspirations are as such:
The Republic, by Plato | Leviathan, by Thomas Hobbes | The Confucian civil service system of imperial China | The "Golden Liberty" elective
monarchy system of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth | The corporatist/technocratic philosophy of Henri de Saint-Simon | The communitarian
ideological framework of the Singaporean People's Action Party | "New Deal"-style societal regimentation | Kantian/Mohist/Stoic philosophy

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:26 pm

The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord wrote:
Luminesa wrote:Hey Swag! The setting for the RP is a little different from what you’ve mentioned in your biography, so if you want to maybe adapt your character to fit I’d recommend reading through it. Ask me any questions you need about the setting. Thanks! Cleric is my favorite class, too, though I am playing a Wizard this time. :3

I was aware that the setting is different from what I mentioned in the biography; I was going to originally use this character for a different campaign outside of NationStates.

EDIT: I think I've a decent grasp on the setting now. Thank you for being helpful and polite as you usually are.

You’re welcome! It looks more adaptable now. You are accepted! :3
-Alan Jackson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:32 pm

Luminesa wrote:

You’re welcome! It looks more adaptable now. You are accepted! :3

Thank you, Luminesa!

For clarification, how will the adventuring party meet? We're not going to be meeting in an inn/tavern, are we? I don't wish to seem impolite at all, and forgive me if I do, but it's basically a heroic fantasy cliché at this point.

Warning. TV Tropes is a known time-waster; please browse with caution.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Luminesa wrote:You’re welcome! It looks more adaptable now. You are accepted! :3

Thank you, Luminesa!

For clarification, how will the adventuring party meet? We're not going to be meeting in an inn/tavern, are we? I don't wish to seem impolite at all, and forgive me if I do, but it's basically a heroic fantasy cliché at this point.

Ahhhh TVTropes, the website that helps me to act like I've seen most of the anime I discuss with people to waste hours at a time. XD

It might be an inn or a cavern, though I may have a better idea. Sometimes cliches are a necessity, but creativity never hurt anyone.
Last edited by Luminesa on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Alan Jackson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:56 pm

Luminesa wrote:
Thank you, Luminesa!

Ahhhh TVTropes, the website that helps me to act like I've seen most of the anime I discuss with people to waste hours at a time. XD

It might be an inn or a cavern, though I may have a better idea. Sometimes cliches are a necessity, but creativity never hurt anyone.

Also, and I don't wish to seem impolite by asking, but do you have any ideas on how to integrate the rather generic backstory for Baltazar into the setting? My biggest question is what kingdom he should hail from. I also wonder what the "tech level" of the setting is. I ask because it seems that most D&D settings seem heavily anachronistic but generally tend towards the late medieval period. Would my assumption of "late medieval/early renaissance" (so it wouldn't be utterly unreasonable to find windmills, spectacles, sophisticated armor (such as full plate), three-crop rotation, the mechanical clock, gunpowder, and the flying buttress, among others) be correct?
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:06 pm

Large caravan or trade outpost between two kingdoms. Maybe next to a walled gate with a few inns. A crossroads where different groups meet and mingle. It could have several roads leading from it as well as turn into different terrains-- Mountains meeting the planes. Just a thought. There could be a cavern not far away, an inn, or even a caravan to follow.
Last edited by UniversalCommons on Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 pm

Luminesa wrote:Ahhhh TVTropes, the website that helps me to act like I've seen most of the anime I discuss with people to waste hours at a time. XD

Also, and I don't wish to seem impolite by asking, but do you have any ideas on how to integrate the rather generic backstory for Baltazar into the setting? My biggest question is what kingdom he should hail from. I also wonder what the "tech level" of the setting is. I ask because it seems that most D&D settings seem heavily anachronistic but generally tend towards the late medieval period. Would my assumption of a "late medieval/early renaissance" world be correct?

You are not impolite by asking questions! Questions are good and they help me as well! Let's see:
1.) Since he is a Magic-user, Barrfhionn would be safe, Ao is also good. Branwen is a dangerous but viable choice, as is Naaji. Since your character received a full Magical education, Ao might be the best choice, since they have the monasteries in which clerics, monks, and others are trained professionally, though they have three specifically. We could place this monastery in Barrfhionn if you want.
2.) We're somewhere in the High Middle Ages (about 1000 to 1250), but that mostly serves for defining the landscape. There's lots of tiny villages and towns, scattered and far apart, and then a couple of large kingdoms which have been defined in the OP. You're definitely not going to see WiFi, cars, or electricity. The largest kingdom, Branwen, has about 200,000 people, which would have been the peak size of Paris in the Middle Ages. Barrfhionn has about 50,000 people and is still growing, but is mostly a new city. Ao has roughly 150,000 people, and has mostly been un-bothered by the Magic Wars, so they will probably surpass Branwen at some point. Naaji has about 125,000 people. Every other town or village may have a few dozen people or a couple hundred people. Magical monsters, disease, slavery, and thieves will all play a role somewhere in the setting.
-Alan Jackson

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:09 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Large caravan or trade outpost between two kingdoms. Maybe next to a walled gate with a few inns. A crossroads where different groups meet and mingle. It could have several roads leading from it as well as turn into different terrains-- Mountains meeting the planes. Just a thought. There could be a cavern not far away, an inn, or even a caravan to follow.

That's an idea. Also a temple could work.
-Alan Jackson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:19 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Large caravan or trade outpost between two kingdoms. Maybe next to a walled gate with a few inns. A crossroads where different groups meet and mingle. It could have several roads leading from it as well as turn into different terrains-- Mountains meeting the planes. Just a thought. There could be a cavern not far away, an inn, or even a caravan to follow.

That sounds like a sensible choice, in my view.

Luminesa wrote:
Also, and I don't wish to seem impolite by asking, but do you have any ideas on how to integrate the rather generic backstory for Baltazar into the setting? My biggest question is what kingdom he should hail from. I also wonder what the "tech level" of the setting is. I ask because it seems that most D&D settings seem heavily anachronistic but generally tend towards the late medieval period. Would my assumption of a "late medieval/early renaissance" world be correct?

You are not impolite by asking questions! Questions are good and they help me as well! Let's see:
1.) Since he is a Magic-user, Barrfhionn would be safe, Ao is also good. Branwen is a dangerous but viable choice, as is Naaji. Since your character received a full Magical education, Ao might be the best choice, since they have the monasteries in which clerics, monks, and others are trained professionally, though they have three specifically. We could place this monastery in Barrfhionn if you want.
2.) We're somewhere in the High Middle Ages (about 1000 to 1250), but that mostly serves for defining the landscape. There's lots of tiny villages and towns, scattered and far apart, and then a couple of large kingdoms which have been defined in the OP. You're definitely not going to see WiFi, cars, or electricity. The largest kingdom, Branwen, has about 200,000 people, which would have been the peak size of Paris in the Middle Ages. Barrfhionn has about 50,000 people and is still growing, but is mostly a new city. Ao has roughly 150,000 people, and has mostly been un-bothered by the Magic Wars, so they will probably surpass Branwen at some point. Naaji has about 125,000 people. Every other town or village may have a few dozen people or a couple hundred people. Magical monsters, disease, slavery, and thieves will all play a role somewhere in the setting.

For the sake of convenience I'll go with the later date of circa 1250 so as to allow for some minor anachronisms (such as my character's relatively-modern set of spectacles). I also presume that in the nations which sanction the use of magic, then practical spellcasting services are reasonably widespread. If this isn't the case, feel free to say so.

I'm divided between Ao and Barrfhionn; Ao seems more centralized, but seems to take cultural inspiration from East Asia, as opposed to my character's vaguely Byzantine/Slavic culture. Barfhionn seems less centralized from what I've read so far, but seems to draw more cultural inspiration from Europe. It's a tough call; what are your thoughts on the matter?

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I'll go with Barrfhionn. In other news, it's time for some brief worldbuilding (If you don't mind, of course).

The Great Temple of Ioun is located in Barrfhionn, due to Ioun being the patron of magic-users. The Great Temple is also known as the House of Wisdom, and contains a truly massive and well-maintained library visited by scholars, students, and sages from throughout the known world. The library is maintained via a dedicated cloister of scribes and librarians who follow a sacred oath of truthfulness/honesty. There is another aspect to the clergy of Ioun, an adventuring order of warrior-scholar-priests chosen by Ioun to both seek new knowledge and teach what is already known; this was created to counter the cults of Vecna, the lich-god of secret conspiracies, lord of all lies, and patron of profane necromantic magics.

Baltazar was initially a reasonably respected member of said cloister of sacred scribes and librarians, but received a divine call to adventure as mentioned in the character bio. For reference, the tenets of adventuring holy orders of Ioun (Knights Mentor, perhaps?) are as follows:

• Seek the perfection of your mind by bringing reason, perception, and emotion into balance with one another.
  • Accumulate, preserve, and distribute knowledge in all forms. Pursue education, build libraries, and seek out lost and ancient lore.
  • Be watchful at all times for the followers of Vecna, who seek to control knowledge and keep secrets. Oppose their schemes, unmask their secrets, and blind them with the light of truth and reason.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:51 pm

Luminesa wrote:You are not impolite by asking questions! Questions are good and they help me as well! Let's see:

For the sake of convenience I'll go with the later date of circa 1250 so as to allow for some minor anachronisms (such as my character's relatively-modern set of spectacles). I also presume that in the nations which sanction the use of magic, then practical spellcasting services are reasonably widespread. If this isn't the case, feel free to say so.

I'm divided between Ao and Barrfhionn; Ao seems more centralized, but seems to take cultural inspiration from East Asia, as opposed to my character's vaguely Byzantine/Slavic culture. Barfhionn seems less centralized from what I've read so far, but seems to draw more cultural inspiration from Europe. It's a tough call; what are your thoughts on the matter?

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I'll go with Barrfhionn.

Nyeeeeeeeeh the date is the OP's discretion alone. I'm giving a general idea of the timeline, you don't need to worry about a specific year. Nations which sanction the use of Magic do have spellcasting services available, though how widespread they are depends.

Ao is mostly like Southeast Asia, Branwen and Barrfhionn are both generic European countries (though both countries' names come from Gaelic), and Naaji is like...Arabian-Spartan-Viking people. The Zenko Theocracy is most like Japan, obviously.
-Alan Jackson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Luminesa wrote:

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I'll go with Barrfhionn.

Nyeeeeeeeeh the date is the OP's discretion alone. I'm giving a general idea of the timeline, you don't need to worry about a specific year. Nations which sanction the use of Magic do have spellcasting services available, though how widespread they are depends.

Ao is mostly like Southeast Asia, Branwen and Barrfhionn are both generic European countries (though both countries' names come from Gaelic), and Naaji is like...Arabian-Spartan-Viking people. The Zenko Theocracy is most like Japan, obviously.

My apologies if I was at all impolite, btw. Do you have any thoughts on my worldbuilding attempt?

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:12 pm

Luminesa wrote:Nyeeeeeeeeh the date is the OP's discretion alone. I'm giving a general idea of the timeline, you don't need to worry about a specific year. Nations which sanction the use of Magic do have spellcasting services available, though how widespread they are depends.

My apologies if I was at all impolite, btw. Do you have any thoughts on my worldbuilding attempt?

You're not being impolite at all! Your character has a good background to start, I don't mind there being monasteries in places beside Ao. Ao just has the biggest and most famous ones.
-Alan Jackson

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Are we going to do a background post as to how we get to the meeting place?

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:29 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Are we going to do a background post as to how we get to the meeting place?

After recieving his dream, Baltazar began to research the meaning of it with great intensity, studying many esoteric texts as well as the movements of the heavens. He came to the conclusion that Ioun had chosen him to join the Knights Mentor, the adventuring holy order of Ioun. After consulting with his superiors in the faith's hierarchy, Baltazar began the ritual purification and preparations necessary for his long, long journey across the known world. After he was finished, Baltazar set off on his voyages, and has been wandering for a few weeks already.

Is this a good idea? I mean, it's been added to the character bio already, but I'd still like to know.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Postby Luminesa » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:42 pm

UniversalCommons wrote:Are we going to do a background post as to how we get to the meeting place?

Yeah! I'll make the IC maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.
-Alan Jackson

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:46 pm

Luminesa wrote:

Yeah! I'll make the IC maybe tomorrow or Wednesday.

Great! I'm excited for the IC thread.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:46 pm

A prosperous town in the frontier borderlands of Branwen and Barrfhionn, divided by a great wall between the two rival powers. Basically a pastiche of Cold War-era East and West Berlin but in the a fantastical Medieval-esque world. Merchants, spies, sell-swords, vagabonds, and other such shady figures come here in pursuit of power, wealth, glory, knowledge, etc. Many meet grim and terrible fates in said pursuits; some end up penniless, some end up disgraced, some lie dead in a gutter or a cavern.
Last edited by The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nasaira
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nasaira » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:45 am

Tag

Kingdom of Irhk
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 30, 2015
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kingdom of Irhk » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:27 am

Luminesa wrote:You’re welcome! It looks more adaptable now. You are accepted! :3

Thank you, Luminesa!

Depending on the roster, we could have multiple parties.
Nothing to see here, move along.

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:15 am

Nuridia wrote:I’m in like three RPs already but I have been LOOKING for a D&D style RP for a while now! Plus things have been slow because of the Christmas season.

Is this my fault at all, due to my failure to properly manage the Adventure Quest RP?

Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Supreme Magnificent High Swaglord » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:27 am

Also, I think that it'd be good to have a slightly more detailed map, preferably one with more defined borders and possibly some labels so that I know where the capitals/major cities and towns are. Any thoughts on the matter?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse