NATION

PASSWORD

Is it legal for a script to open card decks?

Bug reports, general help, ideas for improvements, and questions about how things are meant to work.
The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 10, 2014
Iron Fist Consumerists

Is it legal for a script to open card decks?

Postby The Northern Light » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi,

I had a question regarding the legality of a hypothetical script:

Said script would log into a nation, check that nation's card page, and "click" to open any available decks.

Assuming that the script would not violate any timing rules (I understand that all of the above are gameside calls, rather than API calls, and therefore have stricter rate limits). Would it run afoul of the scripting rules?

I believe it was indeed illegal to have such a script during the April Fool's card event. But I am not sure whether that extends to the current game, or whether it was a restriction imposed only for the duration of the original special event.

Moreover, reading the scripting rules, it looks like opening a deck does not satisfy the criteria for being classified as a "restricted action". This suggests that it would be legal to have a script open available decks.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Home of the WADP, Planet Eras, and the Constibillocode!
Join The North Pacific!
Where the democracy is strong, the debate robust, and the rum plentiful!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:24 pm

The Northern Light wrote:Said script would log into a nation, check that nation's card page, and "click" to open any available decks.

Given that this time around, cards are tied to issues answered; the script described above would be useless. Unless it also answers issues, there will never be packs waiting.

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:44 pm

The script will indeed also be answering issues.

My understanding is that unopened decks do not stack indefinitely. So the opening of decks by the script would be to ensure there is always space for new unopened decks to show up as issues are being answered.
Join The North Pacific!

Forum | Discord Chat | Citizenship | Executive Staff | North Pacific Army | World Assembly Ministry | Roleplay | Trading Cards | Handbook

Bear Connors Paradiso
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 03, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bear Connors Paradiso » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:
The Northern Light wrote:Said script would log into a nation, check that nation's card page, and "click" to open any available decks.

Given that this time around, cards are tied to issues answered; the script described above would be useless. Unless it also answers issues, there will never be packs waiting.

If you dont open the pack when you answer the issue, is the pack saved to be opened later or are you SOL?

(BTW you have my nations card..... :( )

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 pm

Card decks do stack, at least up to 4 of them. I don't know what the maximum limit is (if there is any).

This means that you won't lose the deck if you don't open it immediately, assuming you haven't reached the maximum limit.
Join The North Pacific!

Flanderlion
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2013
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:15 pm

I'm not sure if it'd be a good thing if the card game got overtaken by scripting. Like, puppets were bad, but being able to design a script to auto bid on all auctions that are underpriced/ping a player to click to do that doesn't really seem to be good.

Personally I'm against scripts taking over it and would prefer the script restrictions to remain in place re the event even though it is now part of the game. I only really collect my nation rather than spending hours on it though, and this specific use doesn't sound to give a major advantage.
As always, I'm representing myself.
Information
Wishlist

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:25 am

Using a script to make bids wouldn't fly, as that affects other players.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:14 am

Bumping this as it fell off to the second page.
Join The North Pacific!

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

Founded: Mar 31, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:07 am

It was, but is no longer legal to use a script to answer issues so as to get card decks.

[violet] wrote:It is illegal to use a tool to automatically cause something in the gameworld to change other than your own nation but including issue selection. Examples include answering issues, moving regions, sending a telegram to another nation, banning a nation from a region, creating a nation, endorsing another nation, and anything else that generates a Happenings line in a region, the World Assembly, or a nation other than your own. These are referred to below as "restricted actions."

Edit: this applies to simulating clicks via the HTML site. This rule does not ban use of the issue selection API, any more than it bans use of the telegrams API. This rule does not ban using a script to open card decks. This rule change does not ban using a script in any way other than answering issues via the same HTTP form submission the interactive HTML website uses.
Last edited by Eluvatar on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
To Serve and Protect: UDL

Eluvatar - Taijitu member

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:12 am

...What? But we have an API for answering issues. Is it now illegal to use that API?

I strongly oppose any rule that would ban a core gameplay functionality just because it runs afoul of a side minigame that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:16 am

Trotterdam wrote:...What? But we have an API for answering issues. Is it now illegal to use that API?

I strongly oppose any rule that would ban a core gameplay functionality just because it runs afoul of a side minigame that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

[violet] wrote:API

NationStates offers an API, which provides a faster, more efficient interface for many scripts. It is governed by its own rules; these Script Rules do not apply to any API request. The main reason you would not want to use the API is that it currently doesn't offer a good way to do things as a logged-in nation: it is mainly a way to collect data, not execute actions.

The Northern Light
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Northern Light » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:20 am

EDIT: Following my post, this post was edited and provides a definitive answer.

-----------
Original post:

Trotterdam wrote:...What? But we have an API for answering issues. Is it now illegal to use that API?

My understanding is that the quoted rule applies only to scripts interacting with the main NS website, and not the API. Here is the rule's context:

This rule describes how you may use automated tools (e.g. scripts, macros, and browser add-ons) to interact with the regular NationStates website. (The NationStates API has its own rules.)

It is acceptable to use a tool that merely modifies how pages look to you. For example, a script that adds particular buttons in your browser when viewing other people's nation pages is fine. Similarly, any kind of information-gathering script is acceptable, subject to the rate limits below.

It is illegal to use a tool to automatically cause something in the gameworld to change other than your own nation but including issue selection. Examples include answering issues, moving regions, sending a telegram to another nation, banning a nation from a region, creating a nation, endorsing another nation, and anything else that generates a Happenings line in a region, the World Assembly, or a nation other than your own. These are referred to below as "restricted actions.

The API is then listed as a separate section, subject to its own rules. That section should probably be updated to take out the part about the API not being good for executing actions through logged-in nations.
Last edited by The Northern Light on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join The North Pacific!

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:21 am

Oh is this a change as of now, or have I accidentally been doing this illegally for a while? I can switch mine over to the API - got a test one working but haven't put over the lists.
Information
Wishlist

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:22 am

It's a change as of now.

Flanderlion
Minister

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Flanderlion » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:25 am

Having seen the reasoning for this in the other thread I completely agree with the change (I have had ample time to switch it and said I would literally years ago at this point). Might want to make this change more visible e.g. a post in the API thread etc.
Information
Wishlist

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:28 am

Flanderlion wrote:Having seen the reasoning for this in the other thread I completely agree with the change (I have had ample time to switch it and said I would literally years ago at this point). Might want to make this change more visible e.g. a post in the API thread etc.

Sure, why not.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotterdam » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:43 am

...So could someone use the API to answer an issue and then use site scripting to open the resulting card pack afterwards? Or do API-answered issues never give card packs?

Eluvatar
Director of Technology

New York Times Democracy

Postby Eluvatar » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:08 am

Trotterdam wrote:...So could someone use the API to answer an issue and then use site scripting to open the resulting card pack afterwards? Or do API-answered issues never give card packs?

They do not.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Technical