NATION

PASSWORD

[SUBMITTED] Dirty Laundry

A place to spoil daily issues for those who haven't had them yet, snigger at typos, and discuss ideas for new ones.
The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

[SUBMITTED] Dirty Laundry

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:33 am

'Tis the return of the guy with tons of drafts and none technically dumped. I present an issue about money laundering - it needs some work but I need the community's constructive criticism for this.

Dirty Laundry

The Issue: Notorious gangster Al Hattone has finally been arrested for robbery and extortion - unfortunately, upon further investigation of his supposed illegal money, no traces of it have been found. All in Hattone's possession were a few laundromat stores in which he invested in, yet they appear to have no connection to the stolen cash. The nation's top legal experts and investigators have come to you for guidance.

Validity: Moderate to high crime rate, moderate to high corruption, moderate to high political freedom (i.e. not a dictatorship), capitalism policy (or has a free market)

Option 1: "As you can clearly see, @@LEADER@@, my client has no connection to any of the supposed crimes charged against him," says Hattone's lawyer Edd O'Hare, wearing suspiciously clean clothes. "Obviously you cannot rob or extort someone without taking their money, and with no money to prove my client's guilt, there cannot be any case of robbery or extortion, thus he is innocent. Also, there is no possible way to connect those laundromats to my client's alleged crimes since they were clearly made in good faith. I have the documents to prove it." He then reveals to you numerous freshly-printed papers.
Fallout: Public enemies often walk home with spotless garments and crime records

Option 2: Suddenly, public defendant Frank Wilson enters, wearing suspiciously dirty garments. "It's too obvious that those 'documents' were printed just now, but that by itself is not a defence. @@LEADER@@, what Mr. O'Hare forgot to point out was Hattone's investments - for sure he wasn't rich, because if he was, he wouldn't need to do those crimes anyways. If so, where did the money for the investments come from? It's almost as if... he ran the money through the laundromats..." O'Hare suddenly turns to him and yells "That's why you've been banned from the laundromats!"
Fallout: Anyone interested in the stock market is investigated

[Must not have digital currency]
Option 3: "Actually, both of those solutions are for the previous generation," expresses CEO of Microcosm @@RANDOMFIRSTNAME@@ @@RANDOMLASTNAME1@@, bursting open your office door while wearing a suspiciously normal raiment. "What we need is a digital currency - one where you can track all payments, so that all of this legal nonsense wouldn't happen, as you can't really rob someone and investments are for all to see." Both O'Hare and Wilson simply stand in shock at @@RANDOMLASTNAME1@@'s statement, slowly waltzing away from his blank stare.
Fallout: To do the laundry you need a computer

[Must have at least some government control]
Option 4: "You all are business people, and thus cannot think of the best solution," says your very bored aide, who'd rather wear nothing at all. "Just make the government own all of the laundromats. That way, all of this business shenanigans could be done with. Regulating some industries would be okay as well." You see that even @@RANDOMLASTNAME1@@ left the room from your aide's droning, to which she replies "This only further proves my point."
Fallout: The clothes of @@NAME@@'s citizens are government property

Change 1: Reworked Option 2 entirely. It's still Frank Wilson though.
Change 2: Added Option 3, as well as slightly changing Option 2's fallout
Change 3: Slightly changed Option 1 and Option 2
Change 4: Added Option 4, as well as slightly changing Option 3
Change 5: Slightly changed The Issue (Premise), Option 1, and Option 2
Change 6: Added the validity for Option 4
Change 7: Finally added Option 4's Fallout
Last edited by The Sakhalinsk Empire on Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:46 am, edited 8 times in total.
This is my signature. The old one was odd.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 18, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Australian rePublic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Option 2- That's called auditing, and I'm pretyy sure it can happen to anyone at any time. Money laundering isn't as simple as owning a business. Also the guy's an idiot. He should claim he won the lotto or something
Hard-Core Centrist. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
From Greek ancestry Orthodox Christian
Issues and WA Proposals Written By Me |Issue Ideas You Can Steal
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- That's called auditing, and I'm pretyy sure it can happen to anyone at any time. Money laundering isn't as simple as owning a business. Also the guy's an idiot. He should claim he won the lotto or something

Money laundering works by using illegal money to invest in legitimate businesses. I guess I phrased it wrong... but I don't get what you meant about the lotto part.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:01 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Option 2- That's called auditing, and I'm pretyy sure it can happen to anyone at any time. Money laundering isn't as simple as owning a business. Also the guy's an idiot. He should claim he won the lotto or something

Money laundering.

Aussie, criminal enterprises can make a lot of money. However you can't really spend that money without drawing attention to it. When attention is drawn to it, then the police start asking awkward questions about why there's no accounting trail for all that cash.

So what criminals do is they set up a legitimate company that they can launder the money through. Usually these are businesses where it's very hard to track how many customers come through the door. Nail salons, cafes and hairdressers can be very popular. More or less any service industry where people tend to pay in cash can work for it. You wouldn't pick a car showroom though becuase again, tax people would look at the cars you have bought and look at your sales and start asking questions.

To give you an example Aussie. I sell drugs and make a profit of 100k. I could then have an interest or ownership of a hairdressers. All I need to do then is make up a load of customers. On paper I have a load more paying customers than I have in reality. This is much, much harder for anyone to investigate and that 100k drug money becomes 100k of profits from a hairdressers that is perfectly legal on paper and has all the correct taxes paid on it.

The lotto would not work because the police would look up previous lotto winners.

This is an interesting issue but I don't know if it has been done and cant easily check at the moment.

I'd consider the issue options as more ways of stopping this happening in future. Use this case as a springboard and have options open up different ways of stopping it happening again. Outlawing cash and just having electronic transactions would make laundering money harder, so you could have that as an option.
Last edited by Caracasus on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:12 am

Caracasus wrote:This is an interesting issue but I don't know if it has been done and cant easily check at the moment.

I'd consider the issue options as more ways of stopping this happening in future. Use this case as a springboard and have options open up different ways of stopping it happening again. Outlawing cash and just having electronic transactions would make laundering money harder, so you could have that as an option.

That would be an interesting option. I'll see if I could add it.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:25 am

Bump stock

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:26 am

Second bump stock. I've heard they've been banned so I will be submitting this after the third bump.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:29 am

O'Hare suddenly turns to him and yells "That's why you've been banned from the laundromats!"

Win.

My only real worry is the third option. You see, yes that is a completely valid choice, but I don't see it ageing in a way that is relevant. I'm pretty sure there already are public laundry machines that take contactless or phone payments, and I expect to only see these become more and more prevalent. And even if these don't exist yet, I see no reason why they wouldn't go down the route of vending machines and check-out tills in UK supermarkets.

Basically, you need to find a way in which you can make that last option more relevant in 10 years time.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:11 am

Chan Island wrote:
O'Hare suddenly turns to him and yells "That's why you've been banned from the laundromats!"

Win.

My only real worry is the third option. You see, yes that is a completely valid choice, but I don't see it ageing in a way that is relevant. I'm pretty sure there already are public laundry machines that take contactless or phone payments, and I expect to only see these become more and more prevalent. And even if these don't exist yet, I see no reason why they wouldn't go down the route of vending machines and check-out tills in UK supermarkets.

Basically, you need to find a way in which you can make that last option more relevant in 10 years time.

I could do that. However, should I keep the third option creating the Digital Currency policy or should it be something else? That would really help since it could narrow down my ideas.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:59 am

(Sorry for gravedig)

I've finally made a solution to this deadlock - Option 3 would be retained, but a fourth option would pop up proposing government-funded laundromats. Yes, I'll admit it's a bit wacky, but I couldn't think of any other solution.

Jutsa
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 06, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Jutsa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Oh hey, it's not gravedigging if it's your own draft, especially if only 12 days have gone by.

Just today I bumped a draft of mine from 14 days ago. :lol:
In fact, one guy bumped a draft after maybe a year; ended up in the game afterwards. Pretty sure it was Down in the Groove.
You're welcome to telegram me any questions you have of the game. Unless I've CTE'd (ceased to exist) - then you physically can't do that.

Helpful* Got Issues? Links (Not Pinned In Forum) *mostly: >List of Issue-Related Lists | >Personal List of Issue Ideas | >List of Known Missing Issues/Options |
>Trotterdam's Issue Results/Policies Tracker | >Val's Bonus Stats | >Fauzjhia's Easter Egg Guide | >My Joke Drafts List | >Sherp's Author Rankings

Other Nifty Links: >Best-Ranked Useful Dispatches | >NSindex | >IA's WA Proposal Office | >Major Discord Links | >Trivia | >Cards Against NS | >Polls

"Remember, licking doorknobs is perfectly legal on other planets." - Ja Luıñaí

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Jutsa wrote:Oh hey, it's not gravedigging if it's your own draft, especially if only 12 days have gone by.

Just today I bumped a draft of mine from 14 days ago. :lol:
In fact, one guy bumped a draft after maybe a year; ended up in the game afterwards. Pretty sure it was Down in the Groove.

Hehe... :blush:

Do you have any suggestions?

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:48 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:I've finally made a solution to this deadlock - Option 3 would be retained, but a fourth option would pop up proposing government-funded laundromats. Yes, I'll admit it's a bit wacky, but I couldn't think of any other solution.

That's actually less "wacky" than some options in existing issues: Makes sense to me, for nations with interventionist governments. After all, there are RL nations (and even states within the RL USA, IIRC) that manage alcohol sales by limiting the trade to government-run shops...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Trotterdam
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 12, 2012

Postby Trotterdam » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:56 am

The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:your very bored aide, who'd rather wear nothing at all.
Hey, there are nations where this is legal.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Trotterdam wrote:
The Sakhalinsk Empire wrote:your very bored aide, who'd rather wear nothing at all.
Hey, there are nations where this is legal.

I'm aware. It's just so that 1) it can fit in with the other people's descriptions of clothing, and 2) so that non-nudist nations can still get that option. I could split it if required.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:53 am

3rd bump stock.

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 am

Submitted.

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Good Luck!
All in-character posts are fictional and have no actual connection to any real governments
You don't appreciate the good police officers until you've lived amongst the dregs of society and/or had them as customers
I want to commission infrastructure in Australia in real life, if you can help me, please telegram me. I am dead serious

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:03 am

Australian rePublic wrote:Good Luck!

Thanks!

The Sakhalinsk Empire
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Accepted!

Postby The Sakhalinsk Empire » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:36 am

Bit of a gravedig, but SAl Hattone has finally made it. Thank you again to Zwangzug!

Australian rePublic
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Australian rePublic » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:57 pm

Congrats!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Got Issues?