NATION

PASSWORD

The Titans (Portal to the Multiverse RP Group)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Islamic Republic e Jariri
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Islamic Republic e Jariri wrote:
I'm glad you're receptive to the idea - although it is still easier to play the past as if it were the present - but if the challenge is pulled off it could be quite interesting - for e.g. seeing two versions of Elenor or how Zid as a city has changed. Tried something similar in OM&T Dead Kings that initially had two storylines separated by around a decade but sharing the same setting - fun but the past events stagnated while the present moved at a better pace. Needed more pre-planning and initiative on my part but I was more invested in the present at that point.

So what you say should be the time gap between the present and Kalcifer's reign?

I'm pretty sure I had stated the time which had passed some time before on one of the RP threads.... let me see if I can find that.

oh my golly....

So I found - the first timeline I published (during the 2nd RP in the series)- which had Kalcipher's death being 959 years ago. With the additional years of other RPs in the series it's been over 1000 years (about 1079 years ago).

But- for the moment let's put that aside and instead focus on something that may be of more relevancy as that timeline was published before a general revision of the setting.

That being that the timeline also included Kalcipher's heritage.

Ethanial Zid married Elona

They had son named Stephan.

Stephan married Margretta.

They had Cord and Kalcipher (another example of pre-revision as the brother wasn't mentioned after that revision)

Stephan [as King] increases the wealth, and grandeur of Zid and rules in peace with Elenor who he calls Sister. However his rule only lasts 11 years. While much good happened the royal family it's self suffered great loses; Deen, Stephan's eldest, fell from his horse during a hunting trip, and tumbled to his death upon a stone. His second son, Cord, left to fight as a Mercenary for he did not agree with his father's strict pacifism, in battle, Cord was felled by an Archer's arrow. Stephan himself died from an illness at the age of 64, leaving his youngest, Kalcipher (28 years of age) to rule Zid.

We can consider this- something loose to build on but it shows that Kalcipher was Ethanials grandson- and likely knew Ethanial before the elder's passing. We can keep this as it still puts the nation as rather young.

I had envisioned Kalcifer as somewhat of a Ramses like figure, an aged ruler of unprecedented power.

But I also wanted him to be the culmination of generational breeding program that was at least one hundred years in the making, his ancestral lineage being deliberately engineered to produce a scion had the greatest potential to channel magic ever seen. Either he was extremely capable on all fields of magecraft or terrifyingly overpowered with a simple fire spell for its sheer raw potency or perhaps he took magic to levels never before established by human wielders.

As such he believed himself to be the Chosen One and this permeated into his cult of personality - amassing a legion of fanatical warriors and mages who saw him as a deity or saviour. Previously humanity had been ruled over by dragons, now there was someone who seemed to command one, which must have awed and terrified those who knew of the old Dragon Age.

Kalcifer did believe humanity needed to unite under a powerful leader under a militant state - he probably also considered the position his birthright. He believed everyone must be assigned a definitive purpose in life that supported a pyramid hierarchy with him at the top and as such generally disdained concepts like personal freedom for those he saw as beneath him. Although tyrannical in that regard he was also a lawmaker that afforded some protections to slaves and commoners that prevented them from being needlessly abused (more to the point of preventing them from becoming useless, aligning him with pragmatic evil).

Part of me is still thinking over whether he was genuinely trying to conquer the world or if the formation of Alterra was as he intended, uniting the world against himself in a gambit to ensure that mankind would be forced to develop measures to ensure they couldn't be subjugated again. He likely saw the Dragon of Colm as a serious threat and would have either desired to harness its power for his own or use him as a living reminder to his subjects that they must never let their guard down, keeping them motivated to stay strong. Perhaps it was both, in either scenario he was victorious in some way.

His relationship with Elenor was probably friendly as he did rely on her as a majestic symbol of his power. He may have been the first Zid to actually ride a dragon, something that had probably not been seen in centuries.

As for how long between him and Ethaniel - I'd like to go far enough - implication being that although dragons are powerful raising one requires several lifetimes worth of dedication before the creature has matured enough to be ridden. As such I am inclined to prefer that Kalcifer was the Great Great Great Grandson of Ethaniel.

But in end Kalcifer and the rest of his bloodline died, it will be interesting to get to that point eventually.
Last edited by Islamic Republic e Jariri on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Harbertia wrote:I'm pretty sure I had stated the time which had passed some time before on one of the RP threads.... let me see if I can find that.

oh my golly....

So I found - the first timeline I published (during the 2nd RP in the series)- which had Kalcipher's death being 959 years ago. With the additional years of other RPs in the series it's been over 1000 years (about 1079 years ago).

But- for the moment let's put that aside and instead focus on something that may be of more relevancy as that timeline was published before a general revision of the setting.

That being that the timeline also included Kalcipher's heritage.

Ethanial Zid married Elona

They had son named Stephan.

Stephan married Margretta.

They had Cord and Kalcipher (another example of pre-revision as the brother wasn't mentioned after that revision)

Stephan [as King] increases the wealth, and grandeur of Zid and rules in peace with Elenor who he calls Sister. However his rule only lasts 11 years. While much good happened the royal family it's self suffered great loses; Deen, Stephan's eldest, fell from his horse during a hunting trip, and tumbled to his death upon a stone. His second son, Cord, left to fight as a Mercenary for he did not agree with his father's strict pacifism, in battle, Cord was felled by an Archer's arrow. Stephan himself died from an illness at the age of 64, leaving his youngest, Kalcipher (28 years of age) to rule Zid.

We can consider this- something loose to build on but it shows that Kalcipher was Ethanials grandson- and likely knew Ethanial before the elder's passing. We can keep this as it still puts the nation as rather young.

I had envisioned Kalcifer as somewhat of a Ramses like figure, an aged ruler of unprecedented power.

But I also wanted him to be the culmination of generational breeding program that was at least one hundred years in the making, his ancestral lineage being deliberately engineered to produce a scion had the greatest potential to channel magic ever seen. Either he was extremely capable on all fields of magecraft or terrifyingly overpowered with a simple fire spell for its sheer raw potency or perhaps he took magic to levels never before established by human wielders.

As such he believed himself to be the Chosen One and this permeated into his cult of personality - amassing a legion of fanatical warriors and mages who saw him as a deity or saviour. Previously humanity had been ruled over by dragons, now there was someone who seemed to command one, which must have awed and terrified those who knew of the old Dragon Age.

Kalcifer did believe humanity needed to unite under a powerful leader under a militant state - he probably also considered the position his birthright. He believed everyone must be assigned a definitive purpose in life that supported a pyramid hierarchy with him at the top and as such generally disdained concepts like personal freedom for those he saw as beneath him. Although tyrannical in that regard he was also a lawmaker that afforded some protections to slaves and commoners that prevented them from being needlessly abused (more to the point of preventing them from becoming useless, aligning him with pragmatic evil).

Part of me is still thinking over whether he was genuinely trying to conquer the world or if the formation of Alterra was as he intended, uniting the world against himself in a gambit to ensure that mankind would be forced to develop measures to ensure they couldn't be subjugated again. He likely saw the Dragon of Colm as a serious threat and would have either desired to harness its power for his own or use him as a living reminder to his subjects that they must never let their guard down, keeping them motivated to stay strong. Perhaps it was both, in either scenario he was victorious in some way.

His relationship with Elenor was probably friendly as he did rely on her as a majestic symbol of his power. He may have been the first Zid to actually ride a dragon, something that had probably not been seen in centuries.

As for how long between him and Ethaniel - I'd like to go far enough - implication being that although dragons are powerful raising one requires several lifetimes worth of dedication before the creature has matured enough to be ridden. As such I am inclined to prefer that Kalcifer was the Great Great Great Grandson of Ethaniel.

But in end Kalcifer and the rest of his bloodline died, it will be interesting to get to that point eventually.

I'm up for this take on the character- it could be any number of generations between him and Ethanial to achieve that status. While the early events relayed about Elenor's life in the other post stand they where long ago. She's watched the generations go by and the power of each grow in the magical arts- and now- has come Kalcipher.

I found out that Kalcipher's name translates to;

Kalcipher - Bold Message in Code / Strong method of [] concealing meaning

It certainly elevates both the Kigndom of Zid and his status- this history you have written - into an antagonist of grand proportions. Plus the idea that he was the first Zid to ride a Dragon is amazing- adding to his persona. As you state- he seems to command one- a Dragon- when Dragons once ruled the world- surely it was a sign that the Age of Humanity was upon the world.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:25 pm

How about we start writing on a thread- just a little IC for us to see how things go?
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 am

Harbertia wrote:How about we start writing on a thread- just a little IC for us to see how things go?

Good idea - what should it be called? The Last Sorcerer King?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:19 pm

Harbertia wrote:How about we start writing on a thread- just a little IC for us to see how things go?

That works :D Let's go!

Also Reference
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Harbertia wrote:

That works :D Let's go!

Also Reference

Reference does say Randall became Master - IC does mention Randall attending Grandmaster Othello's class - meaning Master and Grandmaster are separate titles, hence I saw Othello as Grandmaster conversing with Elenor for consistency sake.

Randal's post mentioned an attack that killed most of Zid's wizards and damaged the walls - rebuilding is happening under Elenor who as it turns out had been absent for 12 years, which initially made me assume the siege happened when she was gone. Do you want me to change/edit any of this?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Harbertia wrote:That works :D Let's go!

Also Reference

Reference does say Randall became Master - IC does mention Randall attending Grandmaster Othello's class - meaning Master and Grandmaster are separate titles, hence I saw Othello as Grandmaster conversing with Elenor for consistency sake.

Randal's post mentioned an attack that killed most of Zid's wizards and damaged the walls - rebuilding is happening under Elenor who as it turns out had been absent for 12 years, which initially made me assume the siege happened when she was gone. Do you want me to change/edit any of this?

I prefer your version. I look forward to continuing the scene you have established. It makes more sense then the former. When I had written Randal as Grandmaster I had seen it as a promotion to have happened following Othello's death however Othello is one of the characters people really enjoy and thus I prefer what you have established. Additionally the attack having happened prior to Elenor's absence, in retrospective, was not well considered when accepting the application of Randall. Thus it taking place after her departure if more fitting- more realistic really.

In short I love what you have written and we shall use it.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:39 am

Harbertia wrote:

I prefer your version. I look forward to continuing the scene you have established. It makes more sense then the former. When I had written Randal as Grandmaster I had seen it as a promotion to have happened following Othello's death however Othello is one of the characters people really enjoy and thus I prefer what you have established. Additionally the attack having happened prior to Elenor's absence, in retrospective, was not well considered when accepting the application of Randall. Thus it taking place after her departure if more fitting- more realistic really.

Great.

So when we do eventually move from present to past what age for Kalcipher do you suggest? Young and impulsive or older and calculated?

Character development would favor the former although sheer power would probably suit the latter - how far back on his life do we start?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:34 pm

Harbertia wrote:

Great.

So when we do eventually move from present to past what age for Kalcipher do you suggest? Young and impulsive or older and calculated?

Character development would favor the former although sheer power would probably suit the latter - how far back on his life do we start?

Let's go with younger to further explain the relationship between the two and develop Kalcipher lest we do flashbacks in the flashbacks. Which of us should set the stage for the start of the past? You've presented a good opportunity to begin such.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Great.

Let's go with younger to further explain the relationship between the two and develop Kalcipher lest we do flashbacks in the flashbacks. Which of us should set the stage for the start of the past? You've presented a good opportunity to begin such.

I shall do so then. Do you still wish to respond as Elenor in the present or would that be irrelevant?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 pm

Harbertia wrote:

I shall do so then. Do you still wish to respond as Elenor in the present or would that be irrelevant?

I do want to. I can still write what I was and you can elaborate from what I wrote- expanding the set up of Zid long ago while I get my post up. As stated, I do desire to carry on that scene :)
Last edited by Harbertia on Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:47 pm

I for one am looking forward to many more World of Zid (WoZ) RPs.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Harbertia wrote:I for one am looking forward to many more World of Zid (WoZ) RPs.

Apologies, I've been quite tired today. Had some trouble writing a scene taking place in King Stephen's royal court as he responds to an orc threat with diplomacy rather than aggression but then opted to write an account for Kalcipher's birth:

It was said the heavenly bodies aligned perfectly to the face of Helios at the hour of the child's birth, a rare occurrence known to have occurred only once before at in golden era of the Dragon Age. Powerful cosmic energy converged with the living magic leylines of our planet Gaia, both forces merged singularly at a specific point to create a truly divine aura beyond human capability.

Was it providence or pure coincidence that upon this special point rested a mother on the cusp of childbirth? The continent's fate had been sealed in that moment for when the divine aura that had briefly inhabited the mother passed itself through into her scion whose passage into life sapped the same from the one who brought him to this world.

A son - whom in her dying moments with her beloved husband King Stephen by her side she proclaimed to him her final gift, a name to mark him above others: Kalcipher.

Understand some context, more than a century before this birth after the fall of the Dragon Age the heroic general Æthaniel and first Sorcerer King of Zid is believed to have somehow utilised a technique allowing for him, a mere human to hatch something as divine as a dragon egg, perhaps through some unspeakable sacrifice or more likely through clever manipulations of Zid's extraordinarily potent leylines which made it the magical centre of the world, quite literally.

The hatchling Elenor is speculated to have been the daughter of his fallen dragon liege, Aenor who herself was fathered by an ancient dragon deity of the first generation, known in human tongue as Kalcifer who among his original kin founded the Dragon Era.

The child and newborn prince was given a name fitting for the task bestowed upon him - to bring humanity into its own era to dominate the central continent and beyond and ensure their enduring strength to withstand the age of strife caused by the departure of the last dragons who once reigned supreme.

A saviour for the human race had indeed been prophesied around the fall - one who was 'thrice blessed' and would 'command the heavens'. Prince Kalcifer was indeed considered blessed with his uniquely threefold combined magical inheritance - celestial, earthly and maternal.

The last was certainly not the least, in her dying moments the Queen Consort of Zid had bolstered her child's base human potential with her own innate life energy.

This suicidal selflessness was likely deliberate - she must have sensed the exceptional circumstances of the moment and familiar with the prophecy realized her opportunity to bring it into motion. Whether it was fate or deliberately engineered she had effectively created the most powerful human sorcerer there would perhaps ever be.

Prince Kalcifer 'Thrice Blessed' was his initial title - his existence satisfied the first half of the prophecy and it became apparent that Zid's royal dragon Elenor would be instrumental in fulfilling the second half.

Have two other scenes planned out - King Stephen with Elenor and back to the present but need more time to finish them.
Last edited by Islamic Republic e Jariri on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Harbertia wrote:I for one am looking forward to many more World of Zid (WoZ) RPs.

Apologies, I've been quite tired today. Had some trouble writing a scene taking place in King Stephen's royal court as he responds to an orc threat with diplomacy rather than aggression but then opted to write an account for Kalcipher's birth:

It was said the heavenly bodies aligned perfectly to the face of Helios at the hour of the child's birth, a rare occurrence known to have occurred only once before at in golden era of the Dragon Age. Powerful cosmic energy converged with the living magic leylines of our planet Gaia, both forces merged singularly at a specific point to create a truly divine aura beyond human capability.

Was it providence or pure coincidence that upon this special point rested a mother on the cusp of childbirth? The continent's fate had been sealed in that moment for when the divine aura that had briefly inhabited the mother passed itself through into her scion whose passage into life sapped the same from the one who brought him to this world.

A son - whom in her dying moments with her beloved husband King Stephen by her side she proclaimed to him her final gift, a name to mark him above others: Kalcipher.

Understand some context, more than a century before this birth after the fall of the Dragon Age the heroic general Æthaniel and first Sorcerer King of Zid is believed to have somehow utilised a technique allowing for him, a mere human to hatch something as divine as a dragon egg, perhaps through some unspeakable sacrifice or more likely through clever manipulations of Zid's extraordinarily potent leylines which made it the magical centre of the world, quite literally.

The hatchling Elenor is speculated to have been the daughter of his fallen dragon liege, Aenor who herself was fathered by an ancient dragon deity of the first generation, known in human tongue as Kalcifer who among his original kin founded the Dragon Era.

The child and newborn prince was given a name fitting for the task bestowed upon him - to bring humanity into its own era to dominate the central continent and beyond and ensure their enduring strength to withstand the age of strife caused by the departure of the last dragons who once reigned supreme.

A saviour for the human race had indeed been prophesied around the fall - one who was 'thrice blessed' and would 'command the heavens'. Prince Kalcifer was indeed considered blessed with his uniquely threefold combined magical inheritance - celestial, earthly and maternal.

The last was certainly not the least, in her dying moments the Queen Consort of Zid had bolstered her child's base human potential with her own innate life energy.

This suicidal selflessness was likely deliberate - she must have sensed the exceptional circumstances of the moment and familiar with the prophecy realized her opportunity to bring it into motion. Whether it was fate or deliberately engineered she had effectively created the most powerful human sorcerer there would perhaps ever be.

Prince Kalcifer 'Thrice Blessed' was his initial title - his existence satisfied the first half of the prophecy and it became apparent that Zid's royal dragon Elenor would be instrumental in fulfilling the second half.

Have two other scenes planned out - King Stephen with Elenor and back to the present but need more time to finish them.

I have indeed eagerly been awaiting your post. Seeing your writing and knowing your talent I can wait longer. Even while I have checked time and time for a post I know to wait as the scenes I shall enjoy.

Interestingly a few days ago I was thinking about this in relation to our project. Thus I find what you have written for Kal interesting as we seem to have had a common spark of the imagination. I was thinking about how that Pyrames- that Dragon Cult tribe north of Zid- believe Elenor to be some important divine according to the player who introduced them to the setting. They believe that Sorcerer's have dragon blood in them and take Elenor's status as a daughter of Ethanial to be quite literal rather then the adoptive one it is. I figured they'd have some take on Kalcipher similar to this figure you've established. In the song I found some similarities to the situation; 'kin to wyrm and the races of man' - Elenor's been raised by Humans and adopted into the family- what you wrote about a savior figure, and our discussions regarding the Dragon of Colm- the threat he presents. That he was one of the figures who started the Dragon Wars.... just sharing, not wanting you to change anything but wanted to express that I think it's great we have similar thoughts.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Posted. Time constraints but didn't want to keep prolonging if I could get the crux written out.

Harbertia wrote:

I have indeed eagerly been awaiting your post. Seeing your writing and knowing your talent I can wait longer. Even while I have checked time and time for a post I know to wait as the scenes I shall enjoy.

Interestingly a few days ago I was thinking about this in relation to our project. Thus I find what you have written for Kal interesting as we seem to have had a common spark of the imagination. I was thinking about how that Pyrames- that Dragon Cult tribe north of Zid- believe Elenor to be some important divine according to the player who introduced them to the setting. They believe that Sorcerer's have dragon blood in them and take Elenor's status as a daughter of Ethanial to be quite literal rather then the adoptive one it is. I figured they'd have some take on Kalcipher similar to this figure you've established. In the song I found some similarities to the situation; 'kin to wyrm and the races of man' - Elenor's been raised by Humans and adopted into the family- what you wrote about a savior figure, and our discussions regarding the Dragon of Colm- the threat he presents. That he was one of the figures who started the Dragon Wars.... just sharing, not wanting you to change anything but wanted to express that I think it's great we have similar thoughts.

I see... so the dragon of colm caused the conflict that killed off the majority of his kin. Did he desire to reign as a supreme deity?

I incorporated references to the dragon cults after reading this, your idea of the populace thinking the Sorcerer Kings of Zid having dragon blood in their veins is quite interesting. They would have needed an explanation for how and why they had a dragon by their side and many would have perhaps regarded the bloodline as rightful successors to the fallen dragons.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Islamic Republic e Jariri wrote:Posted. Time constraints but didn't want to keep prolonging if I could get the crux written out.

Harbertia wrote:I have indeed eagerly been awaiting your post. Seeing your writing and knowing your talent I can wait longer. Even while I have checked time and time for a post I know to wait as the scenes I shall enjoy.

I see... so the dragon of colm caused the conflict that killed off the majority of his kin. Did he desire to reign as a supreme deity?

I incorporated references to the dragon cults after reading this, your idea of the populace thinking the Sorcerer Kings of Zid having dragon blood in their veins is quite interesting. They would have needed an explanation for how and why they had a dragon by their side and many would have perhaps regarded the bloodline as rightful successors to the fallen dragons.

He was indeed attempting to become the Dragon King, and more- as you state- a kind of supreme divine figure. The Dragonic Faith centers upon the conflict between two astrial dragons- a Chaotically Evil and a Lawfully Good. The two dragons are in constant battle in the heavens and when a Dragon passes they return to the Astral plane to take part in this battle, and when they fall in that war they return to the mortal world. Every Dragon is considered to be descended from one of the two Astral Dragons, being spirit born by them in the heavens before coming down to the world. I'm not yet sure what authority the Dragon of Colm was going to claim.
Last edited by Harbertia on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:49 am

I fear I may have rushed and needed to provide more context, perhaps placing you in a difficult or confusing position. Let me know if you need any passage further expanded/elaborated.

Harbertia wrote:
Islamic Republic e Jariri wrote:Posted. Time constraints but didn't want to keep prolonging if I could get the crux written out.

He was indeed attempting to become the Dragon King, and more- as you state- a kind of supreme divine figure. The Dragonic Faith centers upon the conflict between two astrial dragons- a Chaotically Evil and a Lawfully Good. The two dragons are in constant battle in the heavens and when a Dragon passes they return to the Astral plane to take part in this battle, and when they fall in that war they return to the mortal world. Every Dragon is considered to be descended from one of the two Astral Dragons, being spirit born by them in the heavens before coming down to the world. I'm not yet sure what authority the Dragon of Colm was going to claim.

I see... kind of like the Viking myth of Valhalla except it can work in reverse (material to spirit and vice versa) which may perhaps imply that dragons are destined to return to the mortal plane on a mass scale should they perish on the Astral plane as they did during the fall of the Dragon Age - truly it seems dragons are immortal and moreover that conflict is intrinsic to their very being/essence.

Makes me wonder why the Dragon of Colm didn't try to kill Elenor though - is he not older and stronger (and more experienced in battle) compared to Elenor who was born after the fall of the dragons?

I'd some some distinction between the Traditionalist faith and Righteous faith - do they both believe in this 'Great Spirit'? Sounds like nature - is it a vestige of the Elven Age?

Personal Freedom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Personal Freedom » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:17 pm

I sometimes feel the need to return... but the effort it takes is tremendous
Economic Left/Right: -10.0 (previously -6.45)
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.18 (previously -4.72 )
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves;
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:54 am

Personal Freedom wrote:I sometimes feel the need to return... but the effort it takes is tremendous

It's been a long time.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:55 pm

Personal Freedom wrote:I sometimes feel the need to return... but the effort it takes is tremendous

Nice you have you drop in if only for a brief period.

I remember it being a strange feeling leaving NS - I didn't feel compelled to return and in fact found it kind of easier not logging in for a while. There's this little itch or spark that wants me to log back in again, it tends to fizzle out mostly before at some point I'm curious or nostalgic and summon the will back into this metaphorical abyss.

Holy Empire of Avalon
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Empire of Avalon » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:17 am

I remember it being a strange feeling leaving NS - I didn't feel compelled to return and in fact found it kind of easier not logging in for a while. There's this little itch or spark that wants me to log back in again, it tends to fizzle out mostly before at some point I'm curious or nostalgic and summon the will back into this metaphorical abyss.

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back into you
Global War on Crime
______
Operation: VENGEFUL SPIRIT
|____|
Order of the Purple Cross
______
Al-Khalifiya Campaign
_|||_|||_
Arabic Spain Remembrance
______
Aravean Liberation
______
Magian Defense
||||||||

Rynagria
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 02, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Rynagria » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Call me Ryn or Ryna.

Proud Member of the Titans RP group.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:04 pm

Rynagria wrote:Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

:clap:
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:54 pm

I'd like to start a Discord for developing a visual novel;

Sala

You see when it comes to writing I find it easier to do RPs then actually write a short story. My mind is odd.

So I'd like some aid in keeping the characters right, and working on various paths and scenes.

Can even use some new characters- really it's a bit of writing and world building you'll be involved in.

It's set in the Sentient Nature setting; based on the same short stories that I have lost. The stories used to help me grasp the setting.

You probably remember, about a serpent and a mouse traveling the world of Sentient Nature as I explored social structure, and how a society could function in the setting with Sala's main aim being a harmonious society which- well.... lead her down a dark conclusion in those short stories and made her the Hero Antagonist of 'Return of the Snake Queen'.

This visual novel aims to begin prior to Sala's travels, when she was still a princess whose only real friends where some of the servants who appreciated her courtesy- which is a defining aspect of her character. She's polite. She'll become aware that her mother, seeing her as weak and the last to hatch plans to eat her- and it'll see the revolt that lead to the revolution that forced Sala to flee resulting in the travels.

The player/reader gets to influence the narrative by making choices for Sala- in my stories Sala sought to retake the throne and build a grand society based on her observations of the world beyond the palace in exile. In this novel players can take different directions for Sala- they can decide that Sala has no ambition to return to her realm, and wants as far away as she can from it or her past. They can have her 'get hard' and become a terror to the lands beyond. They can make associates Sala didn't in my short stories - take sides she didn't and so forth.

--------------

For a minor example of the kind of decisions Sala can make is in the fact that she does need to feed- not everyday like a mammal- rather once every seven days.

It's night, their is a chill in the air- does Sala continue to make do with grasshoppers and the like of which she must eat more of to sustain her or will she be seeking larger prey tonight?

Sala chooses larger prey and slither through tall grass near the shore of a stream she comes upon a young Otter with a basket of fish from the stream- does she strike, or - speak - does she attempt to take from the basket while still unnoticed?

Such is an example. We'd have profiles on each of the characters as we devise this work. As Bingellia once noted, it's not a happy story being told. Sala is polite, and well mannered- hardly angered- but she's still predator thinking of how to use others around her. She's a reformer at heart, but her 'softness' doesn't change how she sees the world.

In my stories for example, she holds that slavery is the best way to maintain a civil relationship between predators and prey in a fashion that allows both to contribute to society. It's a view she didn't change in my stories, and while her rodent companion wasn't a slave he still did what she could not- tie knots, use tools, etc. In short her being without arms or legs needs a servant of some kind to function in civilized society and that influences her view on co-existence. Without slaves she reasons, Serpentine culture would cease entirely and they'd revert to barbaric living by necessity- lacking the comforts of civilization.

I'm sure a Hero-Antagonist isn't a new concept, as even while she holds that view she also dislikes abuse, and shows respectful courtesy to those beneath her- in appreciation for their role in civilization. She once stated that mice are the fathers of civilization. The reforms she planned largely involved laws governing the treatment of slaves to diminish their desire to revolt- and even if that's a flawed aim it shows he heart.

One slave, Melody, is the closest Sala has to a friend at the start of the game- Sala's kin looking down at Sala. In my stories Melody stayed behind when Sala escaped but, I'd like to let the players have the option to convince Melody to tag along- I feel the players may want some friend in this exile so they should have the option to do so if they so feel. In my stories Sala didn't and was captured by some hawks who seeing her markings knew her to be a royal and not yet knowing of the revolution nor her mother's dislike of her sought to ransom her. They eventually deposited a mouse in with her as food, and she with some difficulty convinced him that together they can escape- she needed his hands and he would need her to take him high enough in the pit to reach what he needed to in order to release them both- or himself alone- the mouse saved them both and tried to part ways. He would have too had Sala not talked him into staying in her company to dissuade other threats upon his life- seeing how she owed him.

The shorts that followed revolved around these two traveling from town to town, and those stories ended when they helped a wolf who asked about their odd company and it lead to the mouse realizing something he- had not much to my surprise and Sala's surprise- realized. Everywhere they have gone she'd had to find food at some point, and she had only ever told him that she can eat grubs and hoppers. He had taken this 'could' as 'I only eat' and so upon realizing the mistake, he thought her diet as he misinterpreted it to be, was why she didn't hold ill will towards him- well it shook him. As he rationalized that everywhere they had traveled he had put at risk- and it just got worse when she explained that she doesn't hunt in the settlements- only between them- and yeah he left her company and such ended my stories of her until 'Return of the Snake Queen'.

But this project aims to give players more options then what I wrote- they guide Sala and determine where she ends up by story's end.
Last edited by Harbertia on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic e Jariri » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Holy Empire of Avalon wrote:

When you stare into the abyss the abyss stares back into you

Yes I think it has... hence why I needed to take a break and avoid past mistakes. Letting myself get submerged would be regrettable.

Tropes are tool after all, creating a sense of fondness is only the sticky surface to become receptive to the ideas its communicating underneath. Its so obvious, I'm dumbfounded at how I overlooked it.

Or perhaps I'm wrong - is the escapism of pure power fantasy truly worth it, even if its little more than a cathartic illusion? I entertained the notion of dividing people into 2 classes - one that wholly embraces reality, another that live imaginary lives.
Were some inherently more suited to exist in one of the two particular planes? Are both worlds equally valuable as a space to exist - thus its inhabitants equal to each other under the measure of existence?

Alternatively they are not equal - maybe fantasy is meant to be a rehearsal for reality or a brief respite from it - never to substitute it entirely. We all do originate from and ultimately end in the real world after all and its the base from where we project fantasy, therefore perhaps the two are unequal.

As I resume RPing I would like to dismantle this illusion someway and force characters to confront who they really are and see where it goes from there... otherwise I'd just be writing in circles.

But... what ideas do I even want to communicate?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse