NATION

PASSWORD

Federal Republics

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Federal Republics are the best form of governments

Yes
57%
Not really
37%
Not Sure
7%

Total votes : 60

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Federal Republics

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:19 am

Did some checking and it seems there are only 15 Federal Republics in the world. I though there were more. So why is this. Having a large population and large area has nothing to do with it since both Nepal and Austria are Federal Republics. Do you think having a Fed. Rep. has a form of government is better then most other political systems. I think it is a better system since it does give more local control to regions of a nation. So what do you think NS.

List of Federal Republics
1. Argentina
2. Austria
3. Bosnia
4. Brazil
5. Ethiopia
6. Germany
7. India
8. Mexico
9. Nepal
10. Nigeria
11. Pakistan
12. Russia
13. Switzerland
14. US
15. Venezuela
Last edited by Rio Cana on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Nimzonia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2004
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Nimzonia » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:10 am

I don't really see giving local control to regions as being good or important.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 am

Federalism is better than a central government controlling everything. I think most states and regions of federal republicans don't have nearly enough autonomy.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 am

Federal republic being best form of government?

Nah, that’d be a monarchy friend.
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:11 am

Page wrote:Federalism is better than a central government controlling everything. I think most states and regions of federal republicans don't have nearly enough autonomy.

^ this
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Narland
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Anarchy

Postby Narland » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Page wrote:Federalism is better than a central government controlling everything. I think most states and regions of federal republicans don't have nearly enough autonomy.

^ this

^ ditto

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Engleberg wrote:Federal republic being best form of government?

Nah, that’d be a monarchy friend.

Nyet Comrade
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:29 pm

I'd argue that federalism and localism are certainly quite effective as governmental structures.

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:34 pm

Local autonomy is definitely better than the central government controlling everything. But I would suggest most non-federal nations has devoluted a lot of their powers away to the regions, this is certainly the case with my country (my country almost disintegrated in the early 2000's after 30 years of central government repression).

Regional corruption may became an immense problem though.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

Dagnia
Senator

Founded: Jul 27, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dagnia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:07 pm

I'd say "not really" if you mean they are the absolute best government type. As with all things, it depends on the situation. Federal republics make sense in ethnically/linguistically diverse, geographically large nations, or nations with a strong tradition of regional government. The US has a federal system because the needs and attitudes of a person in California are almost diametrically opposed to those of a person in Indiana, and one would end up seriously screwing the other if everything were done in a one size fits all kind of deal. Russia has many more ethnicities than just Russians within its borders, many of which have no sovereign nation of their own, plus there's even more distance between Sochi and Vladivostok than there is between California and Indiana.
A federal republic makes less sense in a more or less ethnically homogeneous, geographically small to mid-size state like Poland or Japan. Though their regions and cities may have a unique character, the differences are not as big as in the US or Russia. Even where regional differences do manifest themselves politically (former German lands in Poland tend to vote PO while lands that were Polish before WWII vote PiS), Szczecin doesn't get totally gutted and everything moved to Bialystok when PiS wins because their interests are not that terribly different. You can actually see this happen in US states where counties and cities have little power and one city dominates over others.
Wait an hour, and it will be now again

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Did some checking and it seems there are only 15 Federal Republics in the world. I though there were more. So why is this. Having a large population and large area has nothing to do with it since both Nepal and Austria are Federal Republics. Do you think having a Fed. Rep. has a form of government is better then most other political systems. I think it is a better system since it does give more local control to regions of a nation. So what do you think NS.

1. Argentina
2. Austria
3. Bosnia
4. Brazil
5. Ethiopia
6. Germany
7. India
8. Mexico
9. Nepal
10. Nigeria
11. Pakistan
12. Russia
13. Switzerland
14. US
15. Venezuela

Swiss Gov't rocks, I'm a fan. But some others on that list - don't. I think it has more to do with implementation, that the system, but if you can implemented it as well as the Swiss, it's arguably the best.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

United States of Natan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United States of Natan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:13 pm

I'm quite certain there's more than 15. You may be forgetting a few, such as Sudan and South Sudan.

Regardless, I do believe its the best type of government.
Last edited by United States of Natan on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Come check out the Natan Region, a fun, democratic region|Biden/Harris 2020|
Liberal|Progressive|Hillary Supporter|Jew|Pro-Israel|Anti-Trump|Anti-Sanders|Anti-Bigotry

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:22 pm

United States of Natan wrote:I'm quite certain there's more than 15. You may be forgetting a few, such as Sudan and South Sudan.

Well they forgot about Comoros, Iraq, Micronesia, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan.

And that’s not counting the federations that are monarchies. Which are Australia, Belgium, Canada, Malaysia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, and the UAE.

So in total there are 21 Federal Republics, 6 Federal Monarchies, and 27 Federations
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
United States of Natan wrote:I'm quite certain there's more than 15. You may be forgetting a few, such as Sudan and South Sudan.

Well they forgot about Comoros, Iraq, Micronesia, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan.

And that’s not counting the federations that are monarchies. Which are Australia, Belgium, Canada, Malaysia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, and the UAE.

So in total there are 21 Federal Republics, 6 Federal Monarchies, and 27 Federations

Something tells me that Rio wasn't going for manarchies.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Well they forgot about Comoros, Iraq, Micronesia, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan.

No. But they did forget 6 republics. One of which has been in the news for the last decade.

I just added the monarchies for the heck of it
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Wunderstrafanstalt
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Wunderstrafanstalt » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:32 pm

We shouldn't understate the potentials of a powerful central government in bringing equality between regions - 'redistributing the wealth' if you prefer. Certainly the case with the my incumbent (and favorite) president who sought to dramatically develop the underdeveloped east - although the opposite can happen.

CFR WUNDERSTRAFANSTALT - LAIRAN UNION
"Ad astra et ultra" - "To the stars and beyond"

14.0 | MT | F17 | $LFD | Kurzgesagt | IC Flag | Flag Patron: Bill Gates

Voiced - Artemsday, 12019-5-7: PT party pledged vote for Kalvar's Green Initiative | PETRAL donated Ł1.1 mil to PT | PT voted against Green Initiative.
Your average lowkey maritime Southeast Asian on NS | C e n t r i s t social liberal | Muslim (secretly atheist, don't tell mom) | RK for President 2024, Musk for Planetary Emperor 2100
Just refer to me as "WS" instead of that long-ass name

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:38 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Shofercia wrote:

No. But they did forget 6 republics. One of which has been in the news for the last decade.

I just added the monarchies for the heck of it

Comoros and Micronesia are tiny, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan are Federal Republics in name only, and Iraq? C'mon, you should know better.

Menorica
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 25, 2018

Postby Menorica » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Rio Cana wrote:Did some checking and it seems there are only 15 Federal Republics in the world. I though there were more. So why is this. Having a large population and large area has nothing to do with it since both Nepal and Austria are Federal Republics. Do you think having a Fed. Rep. has a form of government is better then most other political systems. I think it is a better system since it does give more local control to regions of a nation. So what do you think NS.

1. Argentina
2. Austria
3. Bosnia
4. Brazil
5. Ethiopia
6. Germany
7. India
8. Mexico
9. Nepal
10. Nigeria
11. Pakistan
12. Russia
13. Switzerland
14. US
15. Venezuela

The United States of America is NOT a Federal Republic, It is a [CONSTITUTIONAL] Republic!
From The Office of The Prime Minister of The United Provinces of Menorica - Slorena Capital, Tahiti Palace
French: (Bureau du Premier ministre des les provinces unies de Menorica - Slorena Capital, Tahiti Palace)

Region: Empire of Great Britain
Participants: (Public) All
This particular blog is for public use and reviewed by the Prime Minister of Menorica

God Save Her Majesty Queen Victoria!

The National Salvation Front for Russia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 19, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The National Salvation Front for Russia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Australia isn't technically a federal republic, but remove the monarchy and we basically are. Each state has their own functioning parliament, premier ("prime minister"), cabinet and a wide range of powers.
Russian Nationalist
Christian Democrat & Regionalist
Мы спасeм Россию!

Cлужить России - To Serve Russia
I support the Community for Democracy and Rights of Nations

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Menorica wrote:

1. Argentina
2. Austria
3. Bosnia
4. Brazil
5. Ethiopia
6. Germany
7. India
8. Mexico
9. Nepal
10. Nigeria
11. Pakistan
12. Russia
13. Switzerland
14. US
15. Venezuela

The United States of America is NOT a Federal Republic, It is a [CONSTITUTIONAL] Republic!

Mate the US is a fucking federal republic.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:02 am

What is your opinion, OP?

Personally, a federal system is most appropriate for countries with a large land area and a spread out population, or for countries with strong regionalism that threatens to bleed into separatist territory.

But it doesn't matter whether it is a republic or a constitutional monarchy: while I oppose absolute monarchies (unless I'm the guy ruling), the governmental system itself is not a good indicator as to whether a given system is good or bad.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Imperial Hugonia
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 04, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperial Hugonia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Sinn Féin in the 70s had the idea of a federalised Ireland with autonomy for it's four provinces (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ire_Nua) intended to accomodate Unionists in a united Ireland and address the economic imbalance between eastern and western Ireland. Apart from the crazy idea of making Athlone the capital I think it's a good idea and would help redress complaints of the Irish government being Dublin-centric.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:02 pm

Federal Republics are (imo) the best form of government, but a direct democracy is much more fair.

Help, my two favorite political systems are at odds with eachother
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Shofercia
Post Czar

Postby Shofercia » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:12 pm

Atheris wrote:Federal Republics are (imo) the best form of government, but a direct democracy is much more fair.

Help, my two favorite political systems are at odds with eachother

Switzerland has both. Check it out.

Arthropol
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arthropol » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:14 pm

For me, the best system of government depends on the nation in question. What works in one nation may not suit another nation. A federal system is great in a large nation with varying needs in different parts, like the USA, but in some other nations that are different, a unitary system is better. Both federal and unitary systems have positives and negatives. However, in my home country of Australia, I think the federal constitutional monarchy is good.
Last edited by Arthropol on Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingdom of Arthropol - Royaume d'Arthropol
———————————————————————————
Capital: Arthropol City
Language: French
Population: 72 million
Economic: centre-left
Social: moderate
Nationality: Australian
Sex: Male
Economic: fairly left-wing
Social: moderately authoritarian
Not really active on NS forums anymore, still posts once in a while on F&NI and F7. IC views do not represent my real political views. NS stats not used.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General